The Hunters

By Dionne_Hill

My weapon clatters to the ground. Diving behind the nearest tree, I scan the floor in search of a weapon. A b... More

Author's note
Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 part 1
Chapter 13 part 2
Chapter 14 part 1
Chapter 14 part 2
Chapter 14 part 3
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
important
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 part 1
Chapter 18 part 2
Chapter 18 part 3
Chapter 19
Quick note
Chapter 21
Author's note
Chaper 21 part 2

Chapter 20

398 10 14
By Dionne_Hill

Adriana

Emily snuggles up to me in her sleep, not noticing the stream of light that covers us coming from the window. Eros came back into the house after their 'bonding'  session with her already fallen asleep in his arms and she hasn't woken since. It's strange; I'd normally expect her usually fussy attitude to have been triggered by the airbed we have been provided with, yet not once has she complained. Aside from her kicking me occasionally in her sleep she hasn't done anything to keep me (or anyone else) from getting some rest, and she'll have had a decent amount herself when she wakes, so I can't really complain. Albeit I must admit I do miss her sass, even the tantrums. She must have been incredibly tired to have such a peaceful night.

Gently, I move her little arms from me before sitting up and stretching. The airbed may not be the most glamarous thing in existence but it's certainly better than sleeping on the floor using a bag for a pillow, so my muscles are protesting a little after having been able to relax. Across from Emily and I, Alec and Kellen share another airbed, and Becca is sleeping in a rustic armchair by the wall with a blanket draped over her lap. It doesn't sound like anyone else is awake yet, so I quietly tip-toe into the kitchen, trying not to trip over Kellen's outstretched hand as I go.

Once I reach the kitchen, I find a snoring Prince, his head resting on the table next to an open pack of biscuits. What a sight this is - I laugh internally. His hair has flopped in front of his face, and upon closer inspection there seems to be a puddle of drool on the table and biscuit crumbs stuck to his cheek. I never even realised he snored so loudly. Sounds more like a wild boar being chased by an old tractor than a bouncing fairy prince.

Grabbing myself a glass, I pour myself some water, attempting to be as quiet as possible, but failing at the slight squeeking sound of the tap. Behind me, Eros begins to rouse.

Why, oh tap water gods?

He groans, looking up at me breifly and squinting. I can barely hold back a laugh at the state of him. Rubbing his neck, he screws up his face and lets out a croaky "Wha?" and I can't hold it in anymore.

"You got a little something," I point to my cheek, giggling. He touches his face, groaning again when he feels the crumbs and attempts to wipe them away with his sleeve. I pass him my glass before turning to grab another and taking a swig. "I can't believe you went to sleep on a table."

"I had things to take care of," he rubs his eyes.

"How long were you up for?" I do hope he didn't intend to stay up for the whole night. I know we need a plan, but if he's acting like a zombie from lack of sleep we probably won't get very far.

"You know it is my responsibility to lead," he responds to my thought, making me roll my eyes. Of course even in the morning while half alseep he's still poking around people's heads.

"That doesn't mean you should have to figure everything out alone on little to no sleep."

He raises a brow, propping his head on his fist. "I'm open to ideas if you have any."

Well, I won't pretend like he doesn't have a point. I don't have any ideas, but then I don't know the first thing about their world or anything in it. On top of that, the other's don't seem to be doing much to help either, not even bringing it up since he walked out - save for (maybe) Mahlia who I noticed talking to him before we went to bed. Everyone seems pretty reliant on him to fix everything. Prince or not, that's a lot of pressure to put on someone when they're all supposed to be a team. Where I come from, even royalty has advisors.

Maybe even just talking it through would help. I might not be able to come up with any ideas of my own but maybe being forced to think about it slightly differently might give him something tangible to work with while giving me a little context. "I know Roma is a problem now, but is there anyone else we need to keep away from?"

He sighs. "The courts."

"Courts?"

"Seelie and Unseelie courts. There are two main territories, both with their own royalty. There are powerful people on either side and we don't want any of them finding out anything," he looks down at his drink, moving his finger around in the water.

"Do they know you're involved or what we're trying to do?"

"No. To both."

"What do your parents think you are doing right now?" I don't think that question will help anything, to be honest I'm just curious. However if they don't know of their son's involvement in anything, it would be risky, but perhaps going into Unseelie lands may be a temporary option.

"They think I'm on a hunting trip with Kata and Roma. There are squads of hunters that find food and our squad exists solely for the rebels," he pauses, thinking. "Why would we go further into the territory of the people we need to avoid?"

"Is that something Roma would expect you to do?"

"No..."

"I'm assuming you must have allies or part of your squad there that are playing into this whole hunting thing and covering for you. Do you have enough that you could keep mine and Emily's presence a secret?"

He thinks for a second, before his face changes. His fist lowers from his face. "You fucking genius."

"I have my moments."

He smirks. "I was talking about me, sweetheart."

"Sure," I roll my eyes, watching as he gets up and quickly makes his way into the living room.

"Everybody up!"

I follow behind him, hoping that he won't frighten Emily too much with his antics. Luckily, she is only half awake by the time I see her, looking more confused than scared. I head over to her and take her into my arms. She snuggles up to me again, watching Eros as he shakes the others awake.

Kata and Mahlia appear at the doorway, Kata rubbing her face and muttering something like "Someone better be fucking dying right now," while scowling at the Prince.

Without a word, everyone looks expectantly at him, silence blanketing the room.

Clasping his hands together, he smiles. "We have a plan."

Kata grins, apparently now deciding that being woken was worth it. "Knew you'd figure it out."

"Actually..." scratching his neck, he looks towards me. "It was mostly Ria's idea." Nobody says anything, and Becca just scowls, but I try telling him 'thank you' with my thoughts. He winks. "We will be going into Unseelie territory, near to the center of the city."

Becca scoffs. "Ok, and what's the real plan?"

"That is the plan."

"But surely that won't work."

"Rebecca," Mahlia steps forward, her eyes stern. Becca looks down at her hands.

"Roma won't be expecting us to go there. But that's why we'll be safe. I have enough of our team waiting there for us that keeping Emily and Ria away from the court won't be an issue," he continues. I watch their faces as they mull it over.

"So... you want to hide in plain sight," Alec leans forward, glancing it me before looking back to the Prince, who nods. "That... might be just stupid enough to work."

"It will work. I might have to go back to the castle a few times to throw my parents off but you can handle yourselves. I'll leave Kata in charge unless she has any reservations?" she shakes her head. "That's it then. Everyone pack some supplies and we'll head out."

*****

It didn't take long for Eros to decide that we have about enough packed in terms of supplies. Most of what we have is just bottled water and a small amount of food - he plans to pick some up along the way or hunt if we need to, as carrying too much would only slow us down. Kata gave me a new rucksack with a couple of daggers and a first aid kit, and I put my remaining chakrams in there. As it turns out, I now only have the small ones and the one that separates into blades, as the other larger ones have got lost somewhere during the fight. My phone has also gone missing, so she has also given me a small foldable one just in case.

Getting a few sets of clothing was a novelty. After a quick shower, Kata lead me into her room to pick out a change of clothes so that I wasn't wearing dirty ripped ones, but... even in the wardrobe dedicated to visiting 'hunters' there were no clothes big enough to fit me, as they were pretty much all made for much smaller elves. I managed to find a couple of pairs of strechy leggings, one of which I have packed as spare, but ended up having to borrow a couple of the boys' shirts - one from Kellen which I now have on and the other from Eros. They're a little baggy, but Kata lent me a belt like the one she was wearing when we met, so it's not too bad.

I was slightly surprised to find out that they have a stash of childrens clothing suitable for Emily, so at least getting her into a change of clothes was less of a problem. She originally didn't want to shower or change but relented when Eros promised a piggy back ride if she did as I asked. Seriosuly, the guy makes dealing with a stubborn child look easy, it pissed me right off. Maybe I've just never been that good at it.

Now that we're all ready, all that's left is to get going, albiet that has yet to happen. Eros and Kata have been talking outside with Mahlia about god knows what for 20 minutes while the rest of us wait by the window inside, watching for any sign that we're leaving. Thankfully though, it looks as if they're wrapping things up now, as Kata starts to head back in.

She soon arrives in front of us, arms crossed. "Here's how this is gonna work. Kellen, you will be going as a wolf, I'll ride on your back. We are taking the lead," he nods hesitantly, making his way outside, presumably to transform. "Mahlia will be staying here for the time being to make sure we're not being followed and to wait for Darius and the others. Ria, you and Prince will take Venus. It is your choice whether you want to take Emily with you or leave her with me."

My initial reaction is that I want Emily with me, that way I know she's safe. Then again, she's never been on a bird before obviously, and part of me is worried about what happens if she falls.

"She will be completely safe whichever you choose. Venus is a smart bird; neither her nor Prince will let anything happen," she assures me.

"I'll take her with me then," she nods, turning to the siblings.

"Alec, Becca, you two will wait here for 20 minutes once we have left and then follow Kellen's scent. If anything goes wrong or you spot anyone following, you are to intervene, understand?" she asks, looking only at Becca. They both nod, so she turns, leading Emily and I out to Venus.

Before we reach the bird, she stops me with her hand, her voice low. "Now, you shouldn't need it yet. But don't forget what I tought you. And if Eros says run, I don't care what's happening, just do it."

"I shouldn't need it. But you think I will?"

"Probably not. But you can't be too careful," she lets my arm go, glancing back at Eros before heading over to Kellen's wolf. Clearly something is going on here, once again something that I don't know of, because 'probably doesn't sound too promising. Wonderful.

"Ria!" Damn the arsehole, making me fucking jump. Nearly screamed. I would say at least he didn't frighten Em, but once he started laughing, she joined in. I'm not even sure she knows what she's supposed to be laughing at. Annoying little shits, the both of them.

"Alright, alright, I'm here," chuckling a little, he leads us to Venus, and when she is within sight, Emily screams.

Bugger.

Before I even have chance to reach down and comfort her, she does the exact opposite of what I expect, running over to the phoenix.

"Pretty!"

I really don't understand this kid sometimes.

Venus bends down so that her head is level with Emily, accepting her fate as my sister hugs her tightly and gives her little pats. Eros moves towards them, about to speak when Venus lifts her head and snaps at him, making him back away while cradling his nicked hand.

I snort at the offended look on his face. "You're fine with screaming children but not a grown adult? Stupid overgrown seagull."

Emily gasps, reaching up and trying to (kind of) cover Venus's ears. "Meanie," she pouts.

"I think it's just you that she doesn't like, buddy," smirking, I join Emily in patting the bird's feathers. "Maybe she just doens't like meanies, right Em?" she nods vigorously. Eros groans, putting a hand to his heart.

"Turning my friend against me, Ria. The pain. We painted such amazing little ducks," pretending to wipe away a tear, he sniffles. Emily completely buys into his act though, moving towards him and hugging his leg.

"You still my friend. Just don't be a meanie."

Chuckling, he pats her head, thanking her and promising he will try not to be mean. If I didn't know any better I'd think he has a bit of a soft spot.

What I do know is I'm not too excited about being on a bird with both of them with no way of escape. I hope this journey isn't a long one. 

Author's note

Hello hello!

Just want to let you all know in case you haven't seen, today's update is accompanied by the first chapter of my new novel, Bubbles!

Bubbles is loosely based on the sirens of Greek mythology and is a male lead fantasy romance. It takes place in the same world as the Hunters so look out for the links and Easter eggs!

Hope you enjoyed the chapter ❤️

Please vote & comment★

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8K 564 6
"You're mine, don't you understand!" he shouted "No," I say quietly lowering my head as to not see his pitch black eyes and angry state. As my eyes s...
601 17 23
//He had my hands pinned tightly above my head as I squirmed beneath him. The blade twisting between his fingers. He held it up to my throat. I was a...
276K 13.1K 64
'"I cannot feel this way. You clearly don't feel-" "I do though." He interrupts me. I finally look up to meet his eyes. It holds so much sadness. "Be...
2.6M 87K 46
"Shift." His voice hit me like a serrated blade as he stepped out of the crude semicircle of hardened wolves that had formed around me. I pushed mys...