Alpha's Mate

By RoseKnight21

When Leanna finds her mate, she isn't prepared. The Alpha is a strong man who requires a strong Luna. But the... More

~1~
~2~
~3~
~4~
~5~
~6~
~7~
~8~
~9~
~10~
~11~
~12~
~13~
~14~
~15~
Chapter 16: Beginning Again
Chapter 17: Jagger
Chapter 18: Your Friendly Neighbor
Chapter 19: Tell A Story
Chapter 20: Hallucination
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24: Memories
Chapter 25: Cromwell
Chapter 26: Hunting Chances
Chapter 27: Drink till you drunk
Chapter 28: River Marks
Chapter 29: Bonded
Chapter 30: The Witch
Chapter 31
Chapter 32: The Project
Chapter 33: Bloodied Nights
Chapter 34: The Aftermath
Chapter 35: Allegiance
Chapter 36: Alcohol and Killers
Chapter 37: Sabotaged
Chapter 38: Revelations
Chapter 39: Sweet Voices
Chapter 40: Old and New
Chapter 41: Phone Calls and Goodbyes
Chapter 42: New York
Chapter 43: Cafe Secrets
Chapter 44: Taken
Chapter 45: Breaking Point
Chapter 46: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter 47: Art of Vengeance
Chapter 48: Raleigh
Chapter 49: The Bond
Chapter 50: Broken Chains
Chapter 51: His Heart
Chapter 53: Fated
Chapter 54: Reunited
Chapter 55: Liberation
Chapter 56: Fulfillment

Chapter 52: Beyond Life

4.3K 167 16
By RoseKnight21

The grief was overpowering.

Leanna felt it deep in her soul, making it impossible to see past it. It was as if her vision had been replaced with pure darkness, the sounds of her cries blotting out the noise of battle.

At that moment, she was useless. She knew it and her wolf knew it, so when her wolf took over, she relinquished control without a fight. Her wolf would know what to do and she was free to collapse onto herself without dragging everyone down with her.

Climbing to her feet, Leanna's emerald eyes grew darker until they were pitch black. Claws grew from her blood-stained hands as she took in the scene before her.

Hundreds of wolves attacking each other, making it impossible to see anyone familiar.

"LENA!"

Phoenix's voice rang through the air, and she spun around, eyes darting around. She spotted him through the large mass of people, but any attempt to move closer failed.

There's too many people. I'm going to round the Alphas. The moment they give the word, the fighting should cease. Just find somewhere safe for now. I love you.

I love you too.

The link was cut just as a wolf came at her from the left, its large teeth snapping dangerously close to her neck. Letting out a feral growl, Leanna shifted fully, shaking her fur out. Her wolf howled, adrenaline coursing through her veins as she bared her teeth menacingly.

The wolf, a rogue, snarled viciously, his dark, beady eyes zeroing in on Leanna. He snapped his jaws once but before he could lunge at her, she'd ripped his throat out, his body dropping to the ground.

Shifting back, her eyes scanned the area, immediately snapping back when she passed over someone familiar.

Addie.

Curly black hair, skin pale and almost translucent, and a pair of empty, brown eyes. Her shirt was stained in blood, her fingers dripping liquid. Her nose was bloody, likely broken. She was down on her knees, over a body, and Leanna realized with a sickening twist that it was Rick's. 

Leanna's heart pumped furiously as adrenaline flooded her system and she moved toward her slowly.

Addie's eyes remained glued to the body as Leanna stopped a few feet away.

"Addie?" Her voice was low, barely a whisper.

Her former friend's eyes snapped up to her, burning hatred gleaming in her eyes. Her nostrils flared with rage, her hands trembling violently.

"Why?" Addie's voice shook with unrestrained anger. "All he wanted was for everything to stop. He didn't want to do this."

Leanna struggled with the pity and disgust that fought within her, wanting so desperately to comfort someone she once loved, yet holding back because she knew better.

"Addie," she began, taking a cautious step forward. "He wasn't good. You know this. You used to hate him, remember?"

"I was wrong!" She screamed, her chest heaving with every harsh breath. "You were wrong."

"You turned 18 shortly after I met Vincent. How many months did he hide you from the pack? How many times did he tell you not to tell anyone? Because the Addie I knew would've told me in a heartbeat the second she'd found her mate," Leanna kept her voice steady, aching for her to see reason. 

To realize that it's not too late.

Addie met her eyes, glaring darkly, "He hid me because of you. He knew you were bad. All you cause is misery. Because of you, my association with you, he didn't trust me. You ruin everything."

Each word struck her in the heart, making it increasingly hard to breathe through the ball in her chest, "He didn't trust you because he didn't care about you. He only cared about himself and in the end, it was his ego that got him killed. He was blinded by his need for power, by his hunger for blood. He was rotten to the his very soul, and nothing you did could've saved him. He didn't, and still doesn't, deserve your love. You could have something so much better. You could have a real chance at a happy life."

Addie glanced down at Rick's lifeless body, her gaze filled with adoration and pain. As if she couldn't bring herself to believe the truth that sat right in front of her.

"No. He was it. He was my soulmate and I don't want anyone else."

Their eyes met, and Leanna could see her decision.

She barely managed to get out of the way before Addie had jumped at her, landing where she'd previously been standing. Letting out an enraged cry, Addie tackled Leanna to the ground, her eyes pitch black. Her wolf was in charge, and Leanna could feel the grief coming off of her in waves.

She wasn't going to see reason and as much as it pained her, Leanna had to accept it.

Kicking her off with her feet, Leanna jumped up to her feet, her claws growing as she grabbed Addie by the throat, throwing her into a nearby tree. 

Before she could get up, Leanna was on her, slamming her fist into Addie's face until it was coming up bloody and the woman was coughing heavily beneath her. Bringing her fist back, her eyes took note of Addie's broken nose and swollen eyes.

She let out a sudden gasp, shock flooding her body as she looked down; a knife was buried up beneath her ribs.

Looking back at the smug, deranged woman underneath her, all she could see was red. Swiftly pulling out of the knife, she twisted Addie's wrist with such force that it audibly snapped, and plunged it deep into her chest.

"I'm not going out alone, bitch."

.

.

The moment it happened, Phoenix ignored it.

It was a small tug in his soul, life a dull ache. He figured it was just typical battle wounds, nothing serious.

After all, she'd taken the potion. It would prevent death if a fatal blow had been struck. She'd be okay.

"Alpha, the other packs are starting to retreat," Maire came running toward him, breathless.

He nodded, rubbing his chest absently, "Good. Most of the rogues have stopped but it looks like a few are still battling out their grudges."

Maire scoffed, running a hand through her sweat-soaked locks, "Casualties are low on our end but there's a lot of injured. Imogen is still weak so we'll be camped out here for at least a day or two until she regain strength."

"Fuck. Okay, is there any ranking member left here?" He questioned, his eyes glancing around the area.

The sky was starting to brighten, the smell of dawn heavy in the air.

"Only one accounted for is Brandon, the Delta. He's cooperating fully, by the way. Says he's a former friend of the Luna," Maire added hesitantly, gauging her Alpha's reaction.

Phoenix scowled, letting out a cough. His body was starting to hurt, and he could only imagine what kind of damage he'd sustained. With the amount of adrenaline currently filtering into the bond, it was impossible to feel much of anything.

"I'll deal with him later. Have you see Leanna?" He questioned, the pain in his chest becoming bigger.

"I haven't seen her but I'll- Phoenix? Are you okay?" Maire's voice sounded far away as he doubled over in pain, letting out a sharp breath.

Panic flooded his chest, a suddenly familiar pain striking him so deeply he fell to his knees.

"Find Leanna," he gasped, his stomach rolling violently. "NOW!"

Maire's eyes widened as realization dawned on her and she took off, taking in a deep breath to catch her Luna's scent. But with so many in the air, it was impossible.

"LUNA!" She called out, her eyes frantically sweeping the field as she ran.

"HERE!"

Gemma's voice rang clear through the air, and Maire turned, her eyes widening in horror.

Gemma was supporting most of Leanna's weight, the Luna's heading hanging backwards limply. Blood covered most of her body, and her skin was pale from blood loss.

A scream filled the air, ringing with such anguish that everyone seemed to go silent.

With the last bit of energy he had, Phoenix climbed to his feet and ran, lifting his mate from his sister's arms.

"No, no, no, no. Lena," his voice broke with sobs as he lowered them to the ground, holding her in his arms.

Her eyes fluttered momentarily, tear-soaked cheeks lifting with a half smile, "Phoenix...love..."

A broken chuckle left him, "Shh, baby. Save your strength, okay? I love you. I love you so much, Lena."

He cupped her cheek, wiping a tear that had fallen. Her eyes fluttered shut, her body struggling to take a breath as he rocked her gently.

When her final breath left her, he felt their connection snap.

Agony exploded across his chest and everything went black.

.

.

White light filtered in through the window, casting the room in a glow.

Leanna's eyes fluttered open, and she sat up, confused.

"You're awake!" The cheerful voice startled her and she whipped her head around.

Standing in front of her was a woman, probably late twenties if she had to guess, with flowing white locks and violet-hued eyes. Her face was heart-shaped, and the smile that graced her made Leanna feel instantly safe.

"Who are you?" She questioned, climbing to her feet. "Where am I?"

"Oh, right. I forget you mortals aren't used to celestial beings. I am Selene, dear. Goddess to the night, werewolves, and the moon made incarnate."

Leanna's brain seemed to lag. The Moon Goddess? 

Of course, she'd always believed but she just didn't expect her to look so...

Normal.

And when it registered, her eyes widened and she dropped to her knees, "Oh my Goddess! I mean, oh my you! Wait, I'm sorry, I just, you're real. Which I've always known but like, no one has seen in thousands of years. And you're here. And I'm here..."

Everything came rushing back, and she felt her breath catch in her throat.

"So I'm really dead."

Selena gave her a sympathetic smile, "Follow me dear. We have a lot to discuss and not enough time to do it."

Leanna nodded absently, following behind the Goddess who led her down several twisting turns, barely giving her any time to observe the intricate paintings that hung on the walls.

It seemed they were in castle, the walls painted white with golden designs carved into them. It hard not to marvel at the beauty that surrounded her as they entered a large foyer.

In the middle sat a fountain, the water shimmering as if it were alive. In the center of the fountain was a carved statue of a wolf, with an emblem in it's chest. It was almost a coat of arms but unlike any she'd ever seen. 

It was a moon, with a woman in the middle, hand held up toward the sun.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Selena grinned widely, taking a seat on the edge of the fountain, running her fingers through the water. "This, my dear Leanna, is what gave you the affinity for fire. A sort of nectar that do anything and everything."

Leanna watched, entranced, as the water shifted and changed color, showing her the human realm.

Phoenix, cradling her lifeless body, body racked with sobs. She could see how empty his eyes appeared, and her heart clenched. Every part of wanted to run to him and hold and tell him everything will be okay.

"I understand this is hard to watch," Selene murmured gently. 

Leanna shook her head, wiping the tears that had trickled down, "No! It's fine. It's... I hate to see him like this but at least I was able to see one last time."

Selene regarded her curiously, eyes assessing her, "You don't want to ask me to bring you back to him?"

Leanna looked up, taken aback, "I-I didn't.. I didn't think that was possible. I mean, I had a question..." she trailed off, eyes flickering back to the picture in front of her.

"You wanted to know if I could ease his pain," it was a statement and Leanna's silence was her answer.

"Leanna, let me ask you a question. Look at me."

Meeting the Goddess's steady gaze, Leanna swallowed nervously.

"If you could back, before all of this happened, and live a life with your first, and true, mate, without this pain, would you?"

The question caught her off guard and then a burst of anger rushed through her,

"No."

Selena tilted her head, intrigued, "No?"

"Need me to say it again? No."

She didn't mean to be rude, and instantly regretted it, but frankly, she was offended by the question.

The Goddess stood to her full height, a challenge in her eyes, "Please do explain, Leanna Darrows."

At that, Leanna scowled and shook her head, "That's an insult and you know it. You know what they did to me. They lied, they abused me, they nearly killed me. Vincent may have been a "true mate" but he was shit at it. He didn't give me the time of day, and he didn't trust me. It was doomed from the start. Phoenix, he trusts me. He would put his life in my hands any day of week and know I'd protect it with my own life. He doesn't belittle or undermine me. He doesn't let others disrespect me in his presence or not. That life, with Vincent, would've always been a lie. Those parents, no matter how much they loved me, lied as well. It never would've worked and I'd gladly live it a thousand times over if it means meeting my real family. Phoenix, Gemma, Jagger, Sophie, Maire, Zachary, Sebastian, my real parents, they are what matter most."

She hadn't meant to go off, and with the anger passing, embarrassment settled in.

She wasn't sure if there was an afterlife after this one, but she was sure was about to find out.

The Moon Goddess nodded once, as if that was all the confirmation she needed, "Not many would have the will to speak to me like that." Selene sat back down on the fountain, her fingers mindlessly moving through the water.  "For that honest answer, I have something for you."

The sound of a door opening filled the air and Leanna turned, her eyes widening at the sight before her.

"You have the option of whether or not you want to speak to him. He asked, and I only entertained the idea because his remorse is real. Doesn't excuse anything of course, but showing true remorse is like brownie points around here. That's what the young kids call them, right? This lingo is hard to catch. Anyway, Leanna. Your answer?"

She met Selene's eyes, and found only compassion and understanding. Her heart was pounding in her chest, or maybe she was imagining it seeing as she was dead.

"Yes, I'll speak to him."

Selene nodded approvingly, as if Leanna had passed some secret test. Though from what little she'd already experienced, Leanna suspected that was the case.

"I'll give you two some privacy," the Goddess Leanna a smile and walked out of the room, leaving them alone.

Time seemed to slow as Leanna stood there, mustering the courage to look despite every inch of her screaming no to.

When she'd last seen him, he appeared several years older, looking haggard and betrayed, with a bullet it in his chest.

Now standing here, looking completely normal, it threw her off.

It took a moment to find her voice and when she did, it was almost a whisper,

"Vincent."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7M 331K 46
(Completed) My back ran into the wood door as he held my arms at my side, my breath heavy and my knees weak. "Say it." He demanded. I shook my...
630K 22.2K 40
Emma was raised to be the perfect luna. She's caring and sweet, feisty and protective. Her pack loves her and she them. Everything changes on her se...
549K 13.6K 33
After being forced to live her life on the run, living the life of a rouge, Amelia discovers her mate is the Alpha of the second strongest pack in th...
869K 40.8K 38
Rumours have it that a certain rogue has managed to create a small pack of rogues. Of course, they're only rumours... right? Within the rogue communi...