Surviving As A Cannon Fodder

By akane_youkai

Being a normal college student, Eunseo was reincarnated into a book she barely remembers as a no-name canon f... More

CHAPTER 0
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
Part 2 Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Part 3 Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Chapter 168

Chapter 132

3.3K 158 27
By akane_youkai

Behind the fountain was placed a stone plate that was visible between the veins covering the wall. When Ann pulled out the veins in the way, the writings on the stone plate were clearly visible. On it was inscribed, the only way out of the tomb, without getting lost in the tunnels.

"We're saved" Ann declared, running her eyes across the words.

Since the stone plate was shielded by the fountain, there was no damage to the text inscribed on it, aside from the veins that naturally grew over.

The inscription was a message written in ancient Orion by the person who built the tomb.

Ann concentrated on the stone plate as she translated the text.

Roughly it translated to 'The egress to light is unveiled as the moons fall into slumber under Eir's steps...'  

"Come. Take a closer look at this" Ann waved her hand, motioning Kalan to come near.

"I think I almost got it..."

Not all of it made sense, but as far as she could understand they will be able to escape at sunrise. 

'That was some lousy poetry'

Ann turned around to express her findings to Kalan, only to find him inches away from her face.

"Whoa... Not this close!"

She leaned back, startled by the proximity, and pushed his chest away.

"Sorry" Kalan apologized, taking a step back.

After thinking for a moment, Ann brushed it off and went back to the matter at hand. If she were to poke into each and every single antic Kalan does, they will be stuck together for a very long time.

"If my understanding is right. We'll be able to get out once the sun rises"

Ann pointed at the statue of Eir and then back at the stone plate as she explained,

"We have to stand in front of the statue at the center of the pond, right as the sun rises. Not a second late, not a second before. At the exact moment"

In order to keep intruders from disturbing the peace of the tomb, the person who built the place sealed all but one exit, leaving behind protective magic that extends the tunnel system deeper into the land to confuse anyone trying to escape.

The only exit left was placed under the statue of Goddess Eir, where a teleportation enchantment is engraved. Once the sun rises a pathway will open.

However, there wasn't any information regarding where the pathway will lead to.

"This is it. This is our only way out" Ann stated, reading through the text again. 

"So until then, we wait" Kalan added.

"Yup. We wait"

 Three hours before sunrise...

Ann picked up the talking sword she had placed on the Hero's grave and laid down beside it. 

She was alone inside the tomb as Kalan had left to check for exits, in case they missed their chance at the portal.

Feeling bored Ann called out to the sword in an effort to juice any useful information out of it since it's been the only live reside of the tomb aside from the insects for centuries.

"Hey" 

"What?" The sword questioned back almost immediately as if it was waiting for her.

"Is it me or is this setting rather familiar?" Ann bit her tongue, looking up at the ceiling.

"Really? How?"

"Yeah, you know... Like the legend of King Arthur and the sword. It's kinda really famous" Ann continued under her breath,

"Then again it may not be known in this world"

Ann narrowed her eyes on the golden dragon, above her. Although it was the imperial symbol of Orion, years have gone by since she had last seen it.

The golden dragon was the only one that stayed in Elan, despite the continent not being a suitable habitat of its kind. As the legend goes, the Hero of Orion was blessed by the golden dragon alongside Emperor Arthur and the Great sage before their battle with the great evil.

"Arthur... Even the names are the same. I see the author had no intention to hide it"

"Heh! What a creative narrative" Ann scoffed, gazing at the sword beside her.

"Not a word you speak makes sense to me" The sword sighed.

"Hmm..." Ann stared intently at the sword.

Despite its snarky remarks and attitude, the sword once belonged to the Hero of Orion. 

And if her memory serves right, the sword belongs to whoever pulled it out from the stone platform. For it was her who pulled the sword out in a panicked state to save herself.

'I guess it belongs to me now...' 

Yet, Ann contemplated on the matter. It might be burdensome but having a powerful weapon might be useful in the long run. Especially in the future, when she reveals her identity to the world with the male leads on the loose. 

'And I have a debt to settle with a certain prick' A sly smile crept up her lips, as she imagined enacting her revenge. 

It would take a world-ending item, to bring down the almighty male lead. And it just so happens that she found one.

"What's with the creepy smile on your face?" The sword interrupted her train of thoughts.

Ignoring its comments, Ann asked the question that kept bugging her,

"What should I call you? Do you have a name?"

"Just call me like you always have"

"But..."

Calling it 'sword', again and again, felt uncomfortable. As they will be together for a long time, it would be more suited to call it by a name. 

'A name huh?'

Considering the sword's personality, a name popped into Ann's mind.

"How about 'Loki'? Does that sound good?"

"Sounds awful. But coming from you... I'll take it" 

"You sound like an old grandpa" Ann frowned.

The sword aka Loki's way of speech was eerily similar to that of a person she knew. 

'Of all people why do you have to be like him...'

Axel Gilbert and his wicked tongue held notoriety that was well known. Nobles tended to avoid running into him unless it was of utmost necessity.

Ann was about to argue back, the same way she did with Gilbert when the sword's words almost gave her a heart attack.

"Says the one who's older than me. It is not your first time being born. Don't forget to add that too"

"What the..." Ann hoisted herself up, surprised by the sword's remark.

The truth about her reincarnation was a secret she had never shared with anyone. That was, aside from the one time three years ago. Also, it didn't count since Edward was in a coma.

But the sword was an entirely different story. It hasn't been long since they first met. 

'Does Loki know about me? Is it because he's a magic sword?' 

Coming from a talking sword, it was convincing to believe its words no matter how ridiculous it was. In addition, she was yet to identify Loki's abilities, other than disintegrating ogres.

Given how crazy powerful relics could be, the sword may or may not be able to see into people's life.

"How do you..."

Just as Ann was about to enquire further, she noticed Kalan's shadow near the door. 

"This conversation is not over" Ann whispered to Loki while keeping an eye on the door.

"So until then keep your mouth zipped. Got it?"

"Fine. I'm tired anyway" 

She quickly laid back on the ground, postponing the questioning session to another time when they are alone.

"Any luck?" Ann asked as Kalan walked in, acting as placid as possible.

"There are no other exits. The tunnels run in a circle. But..." Kalan presented the object in his hands.

"I did find this"

In his hands was a sword sheath, with an identical pattern to that of Loki. 

Ann sat up and checked the sheath. 

*click*

It was a perfect match for Loki. Not to mention, it appeared clean without a speck of dust.

"Where did you find this?"

Kalan hesitated a bit before answering,

"On a vault near in one of the tunnels"

With that, Kalan became quiet. 

Ann felt awkward, having no more topics to chat on. No matter what she asked, Kalan's answers were short as if he was not in the mood to talk. 

"Haah" Ann sighed, pressing her hands on her face as she laid back on the ground.

If it had been Noah or Oliver stuck with her in the tomb instead of Kalan. The people inside the graves would have woken up to strangle them, unable to handle the noises they created. 

"What are the odds that I'm stuck in an ancient tomb on a full moon's night. That too on my twenty-first birthday... tsk tsk" Ann clicked her tongue.

"Twenty-one is always a cursed year for me"

Kim Eunseo met her ultimate fate when she had turned twenty-one. From the way things are, it seemed like history was about to repeat itself.

"It's barely been a day and everything has already gone crazy" Ann complained, thinking back at the times when she and Chirpy used to have late-night picnics under the starry skies.

"That too on the full moons. Just my luck"

"I think you must be confusing the day but..." Kalan corrected, his eyes fixed on Ann.

"Yesterday is the third"

"Today is the full moons. On the fourth"

'That's funny. I remember mom telling me I was born on a full moons day'

Ann's eyes started feeling heavy. The fatigue in her body was forcing her eyes shut. 

'Mom won't lie to me. Kalan must've had his dates mixed' 

It took the last of her energy to operate her brain. 

Before she knew it, she was deep inside the dream world.

When Ann opened her eyes, she found herself in an unfamiliar room. 

"!"

Startled, she sat up and looked around.

Sitting behind her, with his eyes closed was Kalan Verglas, the leader of the Orion merchants.

"Ah... That's right! We are stuck in a tomb"

Ann felt something soft under her hands. On the ground where she was sleeping, was draped a long dark coat. Her eyes immediately darted over the sleeping man beside her.

Kalan seemed to have placed it under her head after she had fallen asleep. 

'As gentlemen as always..." 

Ann dusted off the coat, neatly folded and placed it beside him.

"That was a wonderful"

Ann stood up and stretched her hands. She could hear the bones in her body crack as he stretched.  After the quick nap, she was feeling refreshed and recharged.

"!"

Remembering the message on the stone plate Ann rummaged through her pockets in search of her watch.

'Oh no'

Earlier in the camp, she had placed the watch in her satchel in fear of losing it in the forest.

"We still have about ten minutes before sunrise"

Ann followed the direction of the voice to find Kalan staring at her with his standard calm expression. In his hands was the small pocket watch he always had on him.

"Oh you're awake" Ann extended her hand to him.

"And thanks for the coat. You didn't have to... but still, thanks"

With a single tug, Kalan got to his feet, looking down on Ann's face against his chest.

"It's fine" 

Kalan watched as she let go of his hand and pick up Loki. She removed the empty sheath and attached it to her belt in place of the sword that was destroyed in battle.

It was a pity that it had snapped during the chase. That sword had been with her ever since she was on the run. Not only was the sword gone, but so was her trusty dagger.

'So long my friend...' Ann placed the removed sheath on the stone platform she had taken Loki from. After the quick farewell, she strode back to the pond armed with her new weapon.

It was time to get back to the world.

Ann stepped into the pond water and peered at the majestic statue placed at the center. The last time she had seen Goddess Eir's statue was when she visited the temple with her family years ago.

Even then, Ann was able to identify that the statues were similar to each other in the way it was sculpted.

At the bottom of her feet, Ann could see that the rest of the ground of the shallow pond was different from the one right below the statue.

It was probably where they have to stand for the enchantment to work. But there wasn't any time left to investigate. The teleportation enchantment was the only out.

There were only two more minutes left.

"Watch your step" Ann warned Kalan as he stepped in the water.

Contrary to its appearance the floor was slippery to the point that she was barely able to make it safely to the center. It was due to the dance lessons engraved on her bones was she able to not lose her dignity in front of Kalan.

From the corner of her eyes, Ann was surprised could see Kalan effortlessly navigate through the slippery floor. He stopped beside her and gazed at the statue.

"I almost forgot" Kalan took something from his coat and extended it to Ann.

'What now?' Ann tilted her head, wondering what it was he wanted to show her at such a crucial moment.

"Thought it was important to you"

But when he revealed his hand. She couldn't believe her own eyes.

"Oh my god!" Ann exclaimed, her eyes widening as round as saucers. 

As a wave of emotions came over, Ann caught Kalan in a tight embrace.

"I feared that I lost you"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.9K 491 13
"You finally decided to be honest to yourself." "Yes. I realized how stupid I've been." He gazed at the goddess with determined eyes. "I would like...
75.6K 2.8K 33
When Cecilia wakes up in a wattpad fantasy novel she's dumbstruck. Knowing the future of her character she tries to be on the good side of King Jaspe...
162K 6.4K 18
I suddenly became the villainess, but it is already the end scene? - She doesn't even realize where she is or who she is. She undergoes the torture...
103K 3.3K 55
Charlie was an not so average scientist and famous genius who went to a party to celebrate another of her scientific breakthroughs after turning 31 w...