a Stardew Valley fan fiction:...

By leimora23

So, I wrote this for myself, not expecting anyone else would ever read it. I needed it, so I wrote it. When I... More

Chapter 1: Extending Grace
Chapter 2: Courage
Chapter 3: The Art of Letting Go
Chapter 4: The Rescue and Freeing of Things
Chapter 5: E's Elegant Preserves
Chapter 6: Invisible Things
Chapter 7: The Warmth of the Sun
Chapter 8: Taking Cover
Chapter 9: A Girl Like Her
Chapter 10: Saving
Chapter 11: Blessings and Burdens of Caring
Chapter 12: Stardew Point
Chapter 13: Magic
Chapter 14: Unexpected
Chapter 15: Prisons & Freedoms
Chapter 16: Love (Part Two)
Chapter 17: Fire (Part One)
Chapter 17: Fire (Part Two)
Chapter 18: Rehearsal
Chapter 19: The Things We're Made For
Chapter 20: Words (Part One)
Chapter 20: Words (Part Two)
Chapter 21: Wild
Chapter 22: Everything
Chapter 23: Hearts & Heroes
Seen
Worthy of Good Things
Untangling
Journeys
Falling
Power
All of You
Ambitions (Part One)
Ambitions (Part Two)
Forward (Part One)
Forward (Part Two)
Linger
Under the Light of a Thousand Stars
Home

Chapter 16: Love (Part One)

153 7 2
By leimora23

CHAPTER 16

LOVE

"I see you everywhere,

in the stars, in the river,

to me you're everything that exists,

the reality of everything."

Virginia Woolf

Night and Day

Grace grazed her fingers across the silky card inviting her to Leah's wedding. Had she been so inwardly focused that she didn't even know Leah was seeing someone, let alone getting married? She and her neighbor had delightful conversation the night they met, easy, fun, but at no point did Grace recall her even mentioning it. Since that night though, their relationship existed mostly in the form of long-distance waves, smiles across acres, and shouted hellos.

So....my neighbor is getting married tomorrow.

Leah?

Oh, Sebastian knew. Grace realized the entire town had probably been invited.

Are you going?

Against my will.

💀

Sebastian's response made her smile. Their relationship was slowly evolving from intensity to familiarity. Sebastian seemed to be evolving, too. Grace dared to believe his old wounds had begun the long and imperfect journey toward healing. In little moments like this, she was sure of it.

You're coming. Right?

Grace paused. The thought of attending someone's wedding here in this small little town, it made her feel uncomfortable, vulnerable even.

You're coming.

Meet us at Sam's at 4.

Fine.

Fine.

*****

Sebastian tossed his phone to his bed.

"She's coming." He couldn't resist obnoxiously raising his eyebrows suggestively at his best friend.

Sam looked like he might vomit and for a split second, Sebastian regretted his teasing. Sam shook his head and smiled, still looking queasy.

"She makes me nervous."

'Nooooo..... really?" Sebastian dryly joked. Resting his elbows on his knees, Sam buried his face in his hands. Sebastian smirked. He knew his best friend would rise to the occasion.

GRACE

The day of Leah's wedding, I very easily talked myself out of going at least five times. More difficult, was the task of talking myself back into going, and yet, there I stood in front of the mirror in my bedroom in a full-length blush-colored gown, a delicate spaghetti strap on one shoulder, the other shoulder bare, my leg peeking out of the slit up the side of my dress. I questioned a hundred times if it was too much, but it was all I had. I hoped the wedding invitation's request for formal attire was genuine. Delighted to finally be wearing a pair of heels in this town, I slipped on my favorite strappy heels, my wild pink hair, loosely braided and elegantly pulled back into a soft bun.

My hands shook slightly with a mixture of excitement and nerves. I took a deep breath. Hiking up my dress to keep it clean, I carefully wobbled down the dirt path toward Sam's house. Sam. I felt embarrassed to see Sam, maybe because I had taken to sleeping in nothing but his old white t-shirt lately. It felt so much more intimate than our relationship allowed.

As the dirt path transitioned to the cobblestone of the town square, I released my gown allowing it to flow freely. In the distance, the ocean lulled softly, bringing peace to my fluttering mind. I heard the clicking of heels behind me and turned to see Abigail walking swiftly to catch up. She looked so beautiful in her flowing lavender gown, her long amethyst hair falling in loose curls. On her head, she wore a crown of tiny white flowers.

"Abigail." I gasped with a smile. "You look absolutely stunning!" She grinned at me with her mischievous, adventurous smile.

"Thanks, Grace." She said. "You look......well....you look ....." She chuckled. "I can't wait to see Sam's face when he sees you." I felt my face blush. My mind went back to the night we laid next to each other under the stars, the night I so desperately wanted him to kiss me.

The clicking of our heels echoed on the cobblestone, the town square empty. The chatter of neighbors beginning to gather down by the beach got more prominent as we neared Sam's house.

"Are we late?" I asked.

Abigail shook her head. "Cocktail hour....we don't....." She stumbled her words a bit but picked up with a singsong finish. "We arrive fashionably late," she sang with a smile.

I gave Abigail a questioning look. Her smile faded briefly and we stopped, standing to face each other at the far end of the empty town square. "We made a pact," she looked into my eyes. Not fully understanding, I waited. "...that we would be the ones to break the cycle." Abigail's eyes were sad as she slowly looked around the quiet, empty town. "Alcohol has ruined far too many lives in this town."

Abigail shook her head, seeming to cast from it the weight of stories she couldn't bear to hold in that moment. Looking back at me, she grinned, nodding her head toward Sam's house.

We approached the door and I reached out to knock, but instead, Abigail just pushed the door open and walked in. Inside, I could hear Sebastian and Sam laughing, joking with each other. I followed Abigail into the living room and saw Sebastian standing in the kitchen just beyond. He was wearing a full-on black tuxedo, his hair slightly tamed but still beautifully wild.

I watched his eyes light up at the sight of Abigail. I couldn't see her face but imagined she had a similar reaction.

"Well, hey there, sailor," she joked in a sexy voice. Sebastian half smiled and walked toward her.

"Girls are here," he called toward a closed door where I assumed Sam was getting ready. Sebastian placed his hands on Abigail's shoulders, looking down into her eyes. He didn't say a word but the look on his face wasn't quite so silent. Over Abigail's shoulder, Sebastian shifted his gaze to meet mine. He looked me up and down and smirked, his eyes glistening.

"Hey, Grace," he said in his deep, soft voice with the slightest air of mischief.

"Hey," I smiled.

*****

"Sam!" Sebastian called louder.

The side door Sebastian had called to flung open.

"What?" Sam demanded, a look of frustration and annoyance on his face. "I can't get this stupid thing to...." Sam stopped short at the sight of her. A conflicting fusion of joy and apprehension washed over him.

It was as if every iota of beauty that ever existed in the entire world had come together, every flower, every sunset, every child's wide smile, radiating from deep within her. Her hair swept from her face, her delicate, smooth skin glowed, her green eyes bright. Sam carefully took in her dress, her body....he blinked hard.

Grace could feel Sam's eyes on her. Standing across the room in his black tuxedo, the very look of him made her insides stir, his wild sun-kissed hair, his tan, smooth skin, his piercing blue eyes.

"I can help you," Grace broke the silence approaching Sam her hands reaching out toward his bowtie, which lay flat around his neck. Sam could feel the heat of embarrassment flushing his face as she neared. He inhaled.

Grace stood so close, their bodies nearly touched. She smelled ever so faintly like fresh raspberries. Her face was fixed in concentration as Sam gazed at her. He realized she seemed taller than normal. Her eyes were nearly level with his. Sam felt a tug at his neck. Grace tilted her head in satisfaction.

"I think I got it," she allowed herself a glance into Sam's deep blue eyes. Sam held her gaze intently.

"You're beautiful," he whispered softly. A wave of nerves rushed through Grace's body. Her sigh was nearly inaudible, but it rang through Sam's ears, echoing as though she'd done it a thousand times.

"Be right back." Sam quickly glanced at Sebastian motioning him to follow. Sam's bedroom door closed behind them and Abigail turned to smirk at Grace.

"Oh my gosh." She chuckled. "He's got it bad for you."

Grace smiled at Abigail's words. Even though she thought it too, all the times he'd walked away from her when she wanted more....well...it made her unsure.

"You think Sam likes me?" She asked bashfully, feeling like a schoolgirl passing a note with boxes to be checked.

"Uh, DUH," Abigail grinned at her friend. A look of realization lit Abigail's face. "Ah..." she nodded. She grimaced slightly, considering her words carefully. She sighed. "We're like babies, Grace," she started. "We grew up......here," she gestured around to indicate the valley. "I bet you had more people in your first grade classroom than we have in this whole town." Grace nodded. Abigail looked at her to see if Grace understood what she was saying. It was clear that she didn't. "There are only a handful of us that are the same age here....our friendships are our lifelines. We love each other fiercely. But romance?" She shook her head. "Babies, Grace. We are babies."

Sam and Sebastian re-entered the room, the two of them looking so dapper in their tuxes: darkness and light, they were beautiful.

Abigail reached out and squeezed Grace's hand.

"He'll get there," she whispered.

Sam looked to Grace, raising his eyebrows in excitement. It reminded Grace of jumping in mud puddles with Vincent. She smiled back at him. Sam gestured for Sebastian and Abigail to walk ahead of them as the foursome headed out the door. Sam paused in the doorway, turning to Grace. The late afternoon sun danced on his face. Grace wanted so badly to graze her hand along his glowing cheek and his strong jaw. She sunk into his deep blue eyes.

"You are incredibly handsome," she whispered to him. Her heartbeat quickened as the words escaped her mouth. In a moment of bravery, she wrapped her hand around his strong bicep as he escorted her out of the house.

Looking ahead, Grace watched Sebastian and Abigail as they strolled toward the beach. Tall, lanky, handsome, Sebastian held his hand out to his side, stretching his long thin pointer finger outward. Without looking, Abigail reached down, wrapping two of her fingers around his one. It was an incredibly intimate gesture, and in that moment, Grace perfectly understood their ferocious love for each other over the often frivolous and fleeting mask of romance.

Sam's heart pounded in his chest as he walked toward the beach, Grace's delicate hand wrapped around his upper arm. He had never felt about anyone the way he felt about her, and it absolutely terrified him. 

__________________________________________________

AUTHOR'S NOTE:  

Thank you for reading this, guys! Spread some love and click vote if you enjoyed this one and are anxiously awaiting part two. :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 5.4K 23
As June settles back into Pelican Town for a fresh start, she expects a calm and peaceful life devoid of any haunting memories from the city. Little...
5.3K 177 30
Nora moves back to Pelican Town after being away for over ten years. Everyone says that things haven't changed much but that couldn't be further from...
72.9K 3.5K 47
***Complete***Book 3 in a series involving the same group of friends** Andrew Miller had a difficult upbringing and as a result his friends are his f...
15 4 8
"I'd met my match with Sebastian. He was just as much of a loner as I was-maybe even more. We were the only two members of the anti-social social clu...