How to Date an Asshole

By AlanisKorali

Like most people, Lauren had a big crush on a celebrity when she was a teenager. Unlike most people, she met... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Epilogue

Chapter 48

4.5K 230 26
By AlanisKorali

Chapter 48

If I was being honest, the day has already drained me out. So much so that I just want to go home, change into my comfy pj's, lay down on the bed, and just sleep to my heart's content.

But I promised Josh a dinner meeting and it's not like I'd even get bad news from a marriage proposal plan.

This is good, it'll take my mind off my problems and bring in some good vibes.

I felt terrible lying to Hailey about doing overtime at work. But this is for her, I hope she'll understand later.

Immediately after work, I made my way to the restaurant Josh texted me. It's kind of secluded and I haven't been here before, but if Josh recommends it, then it must be something good.

"Hey!" Josh greeted me as I entered the front door.

"Hi, have you been here long?"

"No, I just arrived maybe five minutes ago. Let's sit?"

"Yeah," I followed him as he led us to a table in the middle.

I removed my coat and placed it on the chair as I sat.

"Shall we order?"

"Of course. Do you have any suggestions?"

He shrugged, "My cooking is better."

I laughed. "Of course."

"But their creampuffs are amazing. I mean, I don't tackle much with pastries, so you know."

I chuckled. "Alright, alright. I'll be sure to try those."

A waiter approached us and took our orders.

"So, how was your day?" He asked as we wait.

"Not the best. But let's not talk about that, let's talk about you, your plans. You already thought of something, haven't you?"

"I have, but I need your opinion."

"Okay," I crossed my legs and leaned back on the chair. "Let's hear it."

He leaned closer, elbows resting on the table with his hands clasped together. "So, you know how Hailey and I met, right? Under the tree in front of her grandma's house?"

I smiled, "Yeah, you saved her cat when it climbed up the tree. I remember her not shutting up about it."

"Did she now? About what?"

"Oh, don't tell me you don't know."

"No, I don't. What was it?"

"She didn't tell you?"

He shook his head.

"Well, I can't tell you now. You know, girl code and all."

"Oh, come on, Laure, can't you make an exception? That was ages ago. I'm proposing to her already."

"Nope," I said popping the p.

Josh was a grade higher than us. And Hailey had a big crush on him long before he saved her cat.

She called me right after they officially met, screaming at the top of her lungs. And the rest is history.

His head shook disapprovingly and I caught myself stifling a laugh. "Alright, let's make a deal. I'll tell you the rest of the story after you get married."

"Deal."

"That was fast."

He shook his head while clicking his tongue, "Us getting married isn't conditional, it's a certainty; it isn't a matter of if, it's when. So, I'll just have to wait and it'll happen eventually."

My brows raised, "Wow, someone's sure of themself."

His lips quirked into a smirk. "She'll say yes, Lauren."

"Oh, I know. So, what's the plan? We're veering off."

"Right. We're getting off track." He straightened his spine. "So, I wanted to propose under that tree. I mean it makes sense to me because that's how we met each other. And as I said, I rescued her cat up there and when it died, we buried it under the tree. We've had picnic dates there. And do you remember that one time we had a blackout?"

"Oh, for sure. I was watching Gossip Girl when that happened. I missed an episode because of that damn blackout."

He laughed, "Well, we have different memories of that night. I threw pebbles at her window."

"That's the cheesiest thing I've heard."

"I was eighteen! Anyway, I asked her to come down and we stargazed through the night."

"Now why didn't I know that?"

His brows raised in surprise, "You're serious?"

"Yes, this is the first time I've heard of this."

He slumped back on his chair. "Well, I'll be damned. Turns out there are still some things she doesn't tell you."

I smiled, Hailey's voice echoing in my head, "'There are some things that are so special you have to keep it to yourself.' That's what Hailey used to say. So that night with you was so special to her that she couldn't even share it."

His eyes glistened as he smiled. This guy has melted into a puddle and he's willing to evaporate even if just to help produce rain, and water the flower that is Hailey. If that isn't love, I don't know what is.

"It's official. That tree meant so much to Hailey and me, there's a lot of history in there. It's just so nostalgic and full of love, you know?"

"I know. And I couldn't think of any better place."

"You really think so?"

"Yes."

He smiled triumphantly, "I hope I'll hear that from Hailey too."

"You will. Trust me. Now how do you plan to do it?"

He winced, "I guess that's when you'll come into the picture."

"Okay, give me the job."

"Your sister organizes events, right?"

"Yeah, I'll have to ask Noelle though. You know she's very busy with Xan, but I think she went back to business a couple of months ago. But I'll call her later to check her schedule. That reminds me, when do you plan to do it?"

His chest moved up and down as he released a deep breath. "On thanksgiving."

"That soon?"

"Yeah, I don't see the point in dragging it long. If it was just up to me, I'd go home now and drop on one knee."

"Awww."

"But I want to give her the best. I want it to be perfect."

"It's perfect, Josh. She'll love it."

The waiter arrived with our meals.

"Okay now, it's time to eat. Let's pick on the details later."

"Alright," I replied and we munched on our food.

We talked more about the details of his plan. He tasked me with buying the engagement ring. I refused at first, but he made a compelling speech about how everything could be spoiled if Hailey finds the ring or sees his bank statements and whatnot.

"Okay, I've written the notes. I'll talk to Noelle and I'll call you for any updates."

"Okay. Thank you so much, Lauren. This means so much to us."

"It's no big deal. Just be sure I'm at the wedding."

He laughed, "Of course."

I glanced at my watch, "Okay, it's getting late. Why don't you bill out and I'll just go bathroom real quick?"

"Alright, I'll wait for you here."

"Okay," I replied and made my way to the bathroom.

I did my business like a normal human being. Emptied my bladder, washed my hands, fixed my hair, retouched my makeup.

Trips to the bathrooms shouldn't be eventful, you know? But somehow, they turn into something when it comes to Dean.

I was just walking out of the hallway, making my way back to our table when I saw him out of the corner of my eye.

He was sitting at the end table, wearing all black, talking to a girl who's undeniably Katie Swanson. These motherfuckers.

My teeth ground against each other, eyes darting knives. I was about to walk away but Dean made eye contact. His face paled and he stood out of reflex, "Lauren? What are you doing here?"

I walked towards them, "I had dinner with Josh. What are you two doing?"

Katie stood, offering her bright signature smile, "Hey, Laura."

She's doing that on purpose huh?

I smiled back, "Hi, Kathy."

Her smile faded, "It's Katie."

"Oh, right!" I waved my hand over my head, "Silly me."

She cleared her throat, "Anyway, your boyfriend is amazing."

I looked up at Dean. "He is, isn't he?" I studied his face but he's hiding his emotions pretty well. I turned to Katie, "what is he amazing about anyway? How did you two meet? I mean I knew you met at the airport, but how did you plan dinner?"

"Oh, funny story," Dean started.

Is it really?

"We met at the shoot this morning."

"Yeah, we're shooting a commercial. Such a huge coincidence," Katie said.

Uh-huh.

"You know, for the new campaign," Dean explained.

"Doesn't ring a bell."

"The one I auditioned for the day I picked you up?"

"Oh, that. So, you got it. Congratulations."

He smiled, "Thanks."

"What is it for anyway?"

"What?"

"The campaign?"

"Oh, yes, it's a, uh, commercial." He glanced at Katie.

My eyes squinted, "About what?"

"It's a perfume commercial," Katie answered.

"Fancy. For whom? I mean what brand?"

They glanced at each other and Katie smiled, "If I tell you then I'd have to kill you."

I let out an uncomfortable laugh.

You'd love that, won't you?

"Oh, come on, you guys, it's just me." I looked up at Dean, expecting him to crack.

He smiled sadly and shook his head. "Sorry, love, we can't."

I nodded, "Alright then. It's okay."

"Lauren," he pleaded.

"No, really, it's okay. I'm a professional. I understand confidentiality very well." My head bobbed up and down as my lips pursed.  "I'll go then. Josh is waiting for me."

"Alright," He pulled me in for a kiss on the cheek. "I'll call you later."

"Yeah," my brows raised. "Talk to you soon." I turned to Katie, "Have a lovely evening."

"You too." She replied and I waved bye.

The ominous sound of my heels resounded the space as I walked away from them.

I'm going to find exactly what you're up to, Katie Swanson. Even if it's the last thing I do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.2K 824 40
[COMPLETED] [EDITED] He smirked and got even closer to my face, "you see, this report is technically under my..." He tilted his head slightly to whi...
302K 9.9K 52
[✅ ⚠️]- Book 1️⃣ "I want to fuck you. Not kiss, fuck. So hard, your echoes would be louder than the noises from the party." ...
139K 9.6K 46
Enemies-to-lovers * Bickering/bantering Boss/employee * Romantic comedy with a HEA He says I'm a hemorrhoid and a massive dark cloud without a silver...
4.3K 531 34
The hottest woman I've ever seen thinks I'm a player who's snacked my way through one too many females. Ever since I met Char, the control freak mana...