Just Because You Are

By kimxiangel

Is it possible for a sulky, self-absorbed man and a good-humored, bubbly lady to make beautiful music togethe... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - For Your Sake
Chapter 2 - The Detour
Chapter 3 - First Impressions
Chapter 4 (Part 1) - Dreaming of You
Chapter 4 (Part 2) - Dream On
Chapter 6 (Part 1) - The Ballet Shoes
Chapter 6 (Part 2) - The Piano Recital
Chapter 7 - Music to His Ears
Chapter 8 - When You Change Your Tune
Chapter 9 - Hit the Right Note
Chapter 10 - Play it By Ear
Chapter 11 - Fine Tuning
Chapter 12 - Whistling in the Dark
Chapter 13 (Part 1) - With Bells On!
Chapter 13 (Part 2) - Break a Leg!
Chapter 13 (Part 3) - Playing Second Fiddle?
Chapter 14 - Reaching Out
Chapter 15 (Part 1) - It All Started with Music
Chapter 15 (Part 2) - While the Music Lasts
Chapter 16 - LSS
Chapter 17 (Part 1) - Call the Tune
Chapter 17 (Part 2) - Clear as a Bell
Chapter 17 (Part 3) - Face the Music
Chapter 18 - It Takes Two to Tango
Chapter 19 (Part 1) - #ThrowbackThursday
Chapter 19 (Part 2) - #Unselfie
Chapter 20 - The Music Box
Chapter 21 - Invitations
Chapter 22 (Part 1) - Euphonic
Chapter 22 (Part 2) - In Sync!
Chapter 23 - Mr. Right's Wǒ de ài
Chapter 24 - How Would You Feel?
Chapter 25 - More than Words
Chapter 26 - ...And All That Jazz
Chapter 27 - Singing a Different Tune

Chapter 5 - Amazed

1.8K 36 9
By kimxiangel

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.
- Confucius

“Forte School of Performing Arts…perfect!” Quino elatedly declared as he stood in front the building with Robert.

He was already envisioning the high-visibility signage on the building’s front wall. He and Robert just finished surveying the interior of the building and already made some initial plans about the fixtures and facilities they would like to add. They had also contacted an interior decorator to help them with the kind of arrangement they need.

“Tamang-tama, two months from now we can start accepting enrollees.”

“O sige, by the end of the week let’s finalize everything so we could also start hiring instructors,” Robert said. Just as he was about to go to his car, his phone rang.

It was Harvey. “I see…okay, see you there.” He turned to Quino and said, “Si Harvey, on the way na daw sila.”

“All right, let’s go para maka-order na tayo. Sobrang pagod na rin ako, I need to rest,” Quino said as he also started to walk towards his vehicle.

They decided to dine at a steak house in Eastwood City Walk 1. They reached the restaurant immediately since it was only a few blocks away from the building.

Robert and Quino were led to a table for five as soon as they entered the steak house. Quino, who was obviously starving, took the menu from the waiter and scanned it. “Matagal pa ba sila Harvey?” he asked.

“On the way na nga raw, but you can order ahead,” Robert replied while texting. “I’ll just wait for them.”

“Ano bang meron at may celebration kamo yung group ni Harvey at bakit ka naman napasali bigla sa kanila? Na-promote ba sya?” Quino inquired, still scanning the menu.

“Hindi sya. Si Miss Raffie,” Robert answered briefly.

“Sinong Raffie?”

“Andali mo ata makalimot. She was introduced to us about two weeks ago while we were in MOA, remember?” Robert said, looking at Quino who seemed to be scanning through his thoughts. “Ibang klase ka talaga, bro. Ang ganda-gandang babae kinakalimutan mo lang!”

Quino made a face and shook his head. “Ikaw ba naman ang tambakan ng katakot-takot na responsibilidad sa malaking kumpanya maiisip mo pa ba ang mga bagay na ‘yan?” he said wryly. “O, so what about her?”

“Magiging co-teacher ko na sya sa College of Music,” Robert declared with a hint of excitement in his voice.

Quino didn’t seem to be interested at his friend’s reply. He finally decided to order a large Rib-Eye steak. “I see,” he said flatly, placing the menu on the table. “So why do you sound as if you’re quite excited with it? Don’t tell me you’re interested in courting her? I hope you remember our agreement.”

“Bakit? Kung humahanga ka ba sa isang babae ibig ba sabihin liligawan mo agad, huh?” Robert quipped, annoyed at hearing his friend’s reminder. “Ang labo mo, Bro…pag nakilala mo si Miss Raffie malamang makaka-relate ka sa akin.”

“Relate? Siguro, but not now since it’s not my priority. Sa ngayon, wala akong oras at interes para dyan,” Quino asserted.

Robert suddenly laughed. “Ganun ha? Sa lagay na yan sigurado akong wala rin syang oras at interes para sa isang pusong-batong tao,” he said dryly. “At wag mo akong i-reremind sa agreement natin dahil sinisigurado ko sa’yo na tutupad ako dun.”

Quino had a good laugh with Robert. He was always amused whenever they threw banters at each other. “Mas maigi na yung pusong-bato kesa pusong-mamon!” he retorted. “So you really are interested at her, don’t you?”

“Honestly, yes... And I don’t see any reason why anybody wouldn’t like her.”

The serious tone of Robert’s voice caused Quino to remember his musing when he met Raffie at the music store. Just then, Quino’s order arrived at the same time as Harvey, Louie and Raffie entered the steak house. Harvey greeted them with his usual jolly voice, while escorting both ladies to their chairs.

“Kuya Quino, that looks delicious!” Harvey exclaimed, his eyes already feasting on the steak that was served in front Quino.

“Huy, nakakahiya ka naman!” Louie said, elbowing his BBF. Then she turned to Quino and Robert.  “Hi, good-evening, Sir. Hi, Prof.”

Raffie, now seated across Quino, smiled and greeted the two men. “Hi. Good to see both of you again.” She looked extra charming in her striped halter jumpsuit. Although tied in a ponytail, her long black hair was shining much the same way as her appealing Chinita eyes did when she said her greetings to Quino and Robert.

“Oh, hi ladies…Harvey, this is really delicious so you all better order now,” Quino said, flashing a quick smile at them. “I ordered ahead, I hope you don’t mind.”

“Ah, wala yun, Kuya. Pasensya na at medyo natagalan kami. Naipit kase kami sa traffic,” Harvey explained. He picked up the menu and turned to his older brother. “O kuya Rob, di ka pa ba nag-order? Ba’t ang tahimik mo ata…”

Quino cleared his throat, his eyes on Robert who seemed as if he was cast under a spell when he saw Raffie. ‘Tinamaan ka na nga, Bro!’ he thought.

Robert immediately came to his senses. “Oh, I’m sorry…” he uttered. He had mixed emotions at that moment. He was amazed at the charming lady by his side and at the same time he was somehow bothered at the possibility of Raffie overhearing his confession to Quino. ‘Narinig kaya nila? But anyway, wala naman syang pangalan na na-mention, diba?’ He managed to smile and said, “Sige, order na tayo.”

“Sir Quino, thank you nga pala sa invitation, ha?” Louie said while she and her companions were ordering. “We’re actually surprised when Prof told Harvey about this dinner…eh mag-a-out din talaga kame tonight to celebrate Raffie’s new career, and then the invitation suddenly came.”

“Oo nga, na-mention sa akin ni Rob,” Quino said. “Akala ko nga celebration dahil na-promote si Harvey.”

Louie laughed, much to Harvey’s annoyance. “Naku, si BBF eh masaya na yan sa kanyang pagiging DJ…so kung ma-po-promote man sya malamang tatanggihan nya unless pag-V-VJ naman yung i-o-offer sa kanya since matagal na rin nyang gustong maging isang dakilang Har-VJ,” Louie joked. “Kaso wala yata talagang interesadong kumuha sakanya, eh.” She winked at Harvey who threw her back a lopsided smirk.

“Alam mo, Louella, mang-aasar ka rin lang old hat pa ang style mo,” Harvey snapped. Of course, he wasn’t really angry at Louie’s statement. No matter what Louie says about him, he always found her cute and adorable. And she was actually extra pretty that night in her brown-white top with dark brown skirt. ‘Kilala mo talaga ako, Louie,’ he thought.

“Nakaka-amuse talaga kayong dalawa,” Raffie said, smiling.

“I can’t believe this! Na-aamuse ka talaga, Raffie – at my expense?!” Harvey exclaimed, joking.

Their orders were now being served, and so Robert requested, “Mr. Har-DJ pa-request naman to lead us in saying grace.” 

Harvey immediately led the group in prayer for their meal.

“Pero seriously, totoo naman yun. Kase naman di ba, pagka-forte mo ang isang bagay at alam mong passionate ka dun, di ba ang hirap i-give up para sa ibang career? Kaya nga kung iiwan ko rin lang ang pag-DDJ ko dun nako lilipat sa pinaka-malapit na profession which I’m passionate about,” Harvey said after they had finished saying grace for the food. “And speaking of which, dyan ako bilib kay Raffie. Nung ginive-up nya yung career nya sa London, may dumating na bago at magandang opportunity. Imagine, from being a West End performer she’s now a faculty member of the College of Music. Ang astig lang, di ba?”

Quino, who was slicing his steak suddenly looked up and shot a momentary look at Raffie who seemed to appear coy because of Harvey’s statement. ‘Did I hear right? She used to be a West End performer?’ he thought, suddenly recalling something.

Curious as he was, he still tried to keep silent and just listen in. Maybe he could get a confirmation about his hunch if he would just listen to their conversations.

“Miss Raffie, ano nga pala yung madalas mo i-perform na roles sa mga musicals?” Robert asked.

Raffie patted the corner of her lips with a table napkin. “Every year we have about three to four different musicals, Prof. We usually perform From Here to Eternity…I play Alma Burke for that one. Then I’m Cassie for A Chorus Line and Griddlebone for Cats. In Les Miserables, I play the role of Eponine. But once a year I also perform with the English National Opera and Ballet for their charity show, usually every Christmas season.”

“Ganyan ka-workaholic ang BFF ko, guys,” Louie said. “Kaya nga di ba hindi umuwi dito ever since she started her career there? Alam nyo, bet ko talaga mapanood yang A Chorus Line with my BFF of course as one of the performers.”

“Maganda talaga yang musical na yan,” Robert agreed. “I already watched it in Melbourne…but I bet it’s much better in the West End with Miss Raffie as part of the cast.”

“Oo nga, kaya naman pa-sample naman dyan, Raffie,” Harvey said all of a sudden. “Just a few lines…please?”

Raffie’s rosy cheeks turned red with Robert’s flattering remark, but she blushed harder with Harvey’s request. “Naku, nakakahiya naman dito,” she said coyly.

“Ikaw, mahihiya?” Louie said. “Sige na, BFF, sample na please! Sample! Sample! Sample!

With soft but insistent tone of voices, Harvey and Robert joined Louie in coaxing Raffie to sing.

Quino, on the other hand, silently wished Raffie would finally give in to the group’s request. For some strange reason he wanted to hear her singing voice.

Again, he cast Raffie a fleeting look but this time he did it with a smile. She caught his glimpse and he felt strangely excited when she returned his smile. 

Their eyes locked for a couple of seconds only, but Quino already seemed drawn to her at that moment. Then he heard the soft but powerful voice singing a few lines of  “The Music and the Mirror” – the solo performance of Raffie’s character as Cassie in the musical, A Chorus Line.

Play the music.
Give me the chance to come through…
All I ever needed was the music,
And the mirror,
And the chance to dance for you…

The group and those who were on the tables nearby clapped after Raffie finished her short song.

‘It’s her, no doubt,’ Quino thought.

He immediately remembered the night he saw her perform at the Adelphi Theatre.

Her powerful voice. Her admirable acting skills. Her graceful ballet movements. How could he ever forget such an amazingly captivating performance?

Yes, it’s her.

*****************************

After dinner, the group decided to go to a private KTV lounge to continue their celebration. Harvey and Louie took turns singing and enjoyed making fun of each other’s performance.

Harvey held the mic and sang “What Makes You Beautiful” while doing some dance moves. His BBF danced along, much to the amusement of Raffie who was seated in the middle of Quino and Robert.

Baby you light up my world like nobody else,
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed,
But when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell,
You don't know, Oh oh,
You don't know you're beautiful,
If only you saw what I can see,
You'll understand why I want you so desperately,
Right now I’m looking at you and I can’t believe,
You don’t know, Oh oh,
You don’t know you’re beautiful,
Oh oh,
That's what makes you beautiful

They were all extremely engrossed with the twosome’s performance so when Harvey finished singing and suddenly passed the mic to Quino, he got rather surprised.

“Kayo na lang,” Quino said, holding his hand up towards Harvey in refusal. He was actually rather tired but he decided to go along with the group after receiving much urging from Robert.

“Go Quino! Bawal ang KJ dito!” Robert teased.

Though still hesitant, Quino finally took the mic from Harvey and chose a song. He then began to sing “I Can Be Your Hero, Baby.”

Let me be your hero
Would you dance if I asked you to dance?
Would you run and never look back?
Would you cry if you saw me crying?
And would you save my soul, tonight?
Would you tremble if I touched your lips?
Would you laugh? Oh please tell me this
Now would you die for the one you love?
Hold me in your arms, tonight
I can be your hero, baby
I can kiss away the pain
I will stand by you forever
You can take my breath away…

“Wow! Nakaka-in-love naman pala ang boses nyo, Sir Quino! Astig! More pa, Sir…” Louie exclaimed just as Quino ended the song.

“Thanks…but I think we should listen to Rob next. Eto talaga yung vocalist ng band namin noong highschool,” Quino said.

“O sige, si Prof naman! Go, prof!” Raffie cheered.

Robert readily took the mic from Quino and sang “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.” While he was singing, Quino noticed how his friend frequently stared at Raffie. Her attention however was on the TV monitor where the lyrics of the song were being flashed.

Right after he ended the song, he immediately handed the mic to Raffie. She gladly received it and started to sing Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb.”

I can almost see it
That dream I am dreaming
But there's a voice inside my head saying
"You'll never reach it"
Every step I'm taking
Every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking
But I gotta keep trying
Gotta keep my head held high
There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be a uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb…

“Ano ka ba, BFF! Pinapaiyak mo talaga ako palagi!” Louie exclaimed while clapping, moved by her friend’s rendition of the song.

Raffie laughed. “Ang OA mo, ha! May pinagdadaanan ka ba?” she joked.

“Porke’t touched lang sa song may pinagdaraanan agad?” Louie joked back. “Di ba pwedeng inspired lang talaga?”

“Ang kulit nyo rin dalawa,” Harvey commented. “O, who’s next? Bro, ikaw na ulit!”

Quino just watched Robert take the mic again and sing another song. Earlier that evening before Harvey’s group arrived the restaurant he genuinely felt tired. He just wanted to go home and be relaxed while playing the piano alone.

But as he listened to each of his companions sing and tease each other, he began to realize that he was missing a lot of things, particularly such fun moments.

And yes, he must admit, he enjoyed the night. Yes, it was fun being with these people.

His attention shifted from Robert to Raffie who looked truly attentive at the lyrics of the songs. She was tapping her foot and swaying her head gracefully while singing along softly.

Now he understood why Robert couldn’t help admiring her. She’s actually amazing. She didn’t only sing well…but she seemed to be such a refined and sweet lady. She’s like a magnet that draws people’s attention.

Why didn’t he notice it the first time he saw her?

Quino suddenly realized what he was really thinking…

Ang labo mo, Bro…pag nakilala mo si Miss Raffie malamang makaka-relate ka sa akin.”

Robert’s statement flooded through his thoughts at once.

Nakaka-relate na nga ba ako? …Kaagad?’ he thought, glancing at Raffie.

*************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 85 15
A Kim Hye Soo Fan Fiction To my precious reader, this is a fan fiction novelette made out of love and admiration for the one and only 배우 김혜수 (Actress...
1.5K 335 38
!UNDER HEAVY EDITING! "Do you love her too?" "Why did you lie to me?" "I will never leave your side!" "Have I fallen for you already?" A journey alon...
608 53 28
"I never thought that a man would love me" I say coming to my senses. "Well you thought wrong because I love you" he says. his hand finds it's way in...
2.7K 139 17
A guitarist and a soccer player. Quite a pair I must say. Well, everyone will put their differences aside and co-habit in harm- Well these 2 nutjobs...