How to Date an Asshole

By AlanisKorali

Like most people, Lauren had a big crush on a celebrity when she was a teenager. Unlike most people, she met... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Epilogue

Chapter 43

5.1K 256 41
By AlanisKorali

Chapter 43

As I wait in the pick-up area, my mind drifted back to the time where Hailey and I were in this exact same spot – with her asking me how I plan to go on my date with Dean. And now he's pulling up, taking my luggage, and putting it in the trunk.

It felt so long ago with everything that had happened. But it turned out to be one of the best decisions ever.

I don't know how everything will play out between us, but whatever happens, I believe that I gained a very wonderful friend.

The engine roared to life as we drive away.

"So how was your trip?" he glanced at me.

"Are you talking about the entire trip or just the one with Axel in it?"

He shrugged, focused on the road. "Both?"

"Oh, well, Sydney was nice. We audited them and everything turned out clean. Just a few adjustments, no big deal. Oh, and get this, we had a night out at the Opera house."

"Yeah?"

"We got wasted."

He gasped. "Lauren Grant, you cheeky little devil. Getting drunk on another continent? Bismal." He said mockingly.

I laughed, "Oh, please. Make those two continents."

He shook his head with a smile on his face, "I'm proud of you."

"Thank you," I said with my head held high.

"How was your Halloween, anyway?"

"Oh, um, it's a long story."

"You and your boy problems huh?" He chuckled.

"Stop. It's not funny."

"Oh, come on, it's a little funny." His grip on the steering wheel tightened.

"Have you had lunch yet?" I started, breaking the ice that started to form.

"No. How about you?"

I shook my head, "Nah."

"Do you want to have lunch together?"

"How about your casting call?"

"I still have time."

"Okay."

"Okay then let's have lunch. I know just the place. Oh, wait."

"What?"

"Do you like Italian food? I mean I should ask before deciding."

I can't help but smile. "How thoughtful. No, of course, I like Italian food."

He placed his hands firmly on the steering wheel, a smirk appearing on his lips.

"Why are you smiling?"

"Why are you looking at me?" he countered.

"Because we're the only people here?"

"That's not an answer." he looked at me, "Some kiss, huh. You really missed me that much?"

I laughed, "Okay, stop gloating. Just drive."

His eyes moved to the road then back to me.

I punched his arm playfully, "Eyes on the road, mister."

His teeth flashed in an open-mouthed smile and soon we're on the highway.

It took us about a good hour to get to the place. We stopped at this quaint restaurant just outside of the city.

"I didn't know there's still a place like this here," I commented as shut the car door.

"Yeah, like a little secret."

"Well, I sure hope it's not dirty."

His brows furrowed, "Of course, it's not."

"Oh! Uh, I'm just kidding. It's a song, you know? Uh... Dirty Little Secret?"

His eyes crinkled, "Doesn't ring a bell, sorry. But you look adorable when you panic."

"Did you live under a rock? I've never heard of someone who doesn't know DLS. Oh, well," I shrugged. "You learn something new every day."

He chuckled, coming closer to me, "Come on, let's get inside."

A bell rang as he opened the door, like those old-timey pubs I saw in the movies.

"Hi, welcome to Buona Sera. For two?"

"Yes, for two," Dean replied with a smile.

The waitress's brows turned up upon hearing his voice and her eyes traveled down then back up, shamelessly checking him out.

"Great, we have plenty of seats for two, as you can see. Do you want to be in the middle, by the window, on the corner, or near the heaters?" her eyes were bright.

I chuckled, "That means anywhere we want to."

"Yeah. You can sit wherever you like."

I scanned the room, "Okay, well," then my eyes landed on the seat by the window, overlooking the backyard trees. "There. By the window."

"Great. Follow me."

"Nice choice," Dean whispered as we follow her.

"Here's the menu. Feel free to take your time, just call me when you're ready."

"Will do." Dean nodded with a smile and she went to the counter.

I raised the menu to cover my face, "Did she just check you out?"

He smiled, "No need to be jealous."

I squinted to signify that I wasn't jealous.

He chuckled, "I'm used to it."

I dropped the menu on the table dramatically, "Used to it?"

He laughed.

"Oh, my, my, my," I shook my head teasingly, looking out the window.

He continued laughing.

"Deanie darling! I knew I'd recognize that laugh anywhere." A middle-aged lady approached us.

Dean stopped laughing as she saw the lady, "Auntie Lorrie." He stood immediately.

Ah, so this is the infamous aunt.

He cleared his throat, "How are you? I haven't seen you since the party."

"Oh, I'm alright, boy." Her gaze landed at me, "And who is this?"

I stood and smiled, albeit uncomfortably.

"Auntie Lorrie, this is Lauren. Lauren, my aunt. Auntie Lorrie's my dad's sister."

"The most fabulous one, might I add."

I caught myself grinning because she really is pretty fabulous in her burgundy silk shirt and Chanel classic flap.

"Auntie, you are dad's only sibling."

"Hmpf, be that as it may, I just want Lauren to know," she looked at me, smiling from ear to ear.

I smiled back, "Well, you are and it's very nice to meet you, Ma'am."

"Oh, please, darling, call me Auntie Lorrie. I mean they all do."

I nodded, "Okay."

"So have you had lunch already?"

Dean shook his head, "No, we haven't ordered yet."

"Well, isn't this just kismet? Let's all have lunch together. I'm just by myself." She looked at me, "That is if you don't mind me around."

"Oh, please. By all means." I replied and Dean raised his brows at me. I shrugged.

"Great, then let's order." She pulled a chair from another table and called for the waitress to order.

I don't know what to say as we were waiting for our food. I wanted to tell Dean what happened with Axel, but I can't particularly do that with his aunt in front of us.

"So," she placed her elbows on the table, resting her head on her hands. Her gaze danced between me and Dean with a mischievous glint in her eyes. She smirked, "Are you together?"

"Well," I glanced at Dean, his brows rose infinitesimally.

"Um," I smiled as if it was a no-brainer. "Yes," I nodded. "We're together."

"Yeah," he said proudly. "I'm her boyfriend, Auntie."

Her mouth parted in disbelief and her breaths came in shallows. She placed her hand onto her chest, eyes blinking rapidly as she tried to process the information.

"Is she okay?" I said with my teeth clamped together.

Dean just scratched the back of his neck.

His aunt now placed both her hands to cover her mouth. Much like what beauty queens do when they win the crown.

"Oh! I am so utterly happy for you, my nephew. Ah," she scoffed in delight. "I never thought this day would come."

"Uh, you make it sound like he is undateable," I commented.

"Whatever do you mean?" she shook her head, "What I meant was he was just impossible to set up with. I have introduced multiple girls and he never seemed to take a liking to any of them." Her eyes shined bright with content, "You just completed my task, darling." She smiled, "Pray tell, what kind of magic did you do to him, love?" she said jokingly.

I chuckled. "The good kind."

Her laugh was deep, but light. Kind of a unique one. "I like you, Lauren." She glanced to Dean, "It's too early to tell, but I'm gonna say it anyway, you've got a keeper here, nephew. Never let her go."

He exhaled a smile, linking his arm with mine and interlacing our fingers.

He raised our hands and brought it to his lips, placing a kiss on my knuckles, "I don't intend to."

I exchanged their smiling faces.

What just happened?

Brunch went on with Auntie Lorrie showering us with questions, gushes, and wishes.

My jet lag couldn't keep up.

Dean must've noticed because he told his aunt that we need to go after eating.

Thankfully, she understood and talked a little about the time she went to the Philippines.

On the ride home, my lids were feeling heavy when Dean spoke, "I'm sorry for my aunt."

"What?" My head snapped in his direction.

He exhaled loudly, "She's quite the chatterbox. I'm sorry you had to suffer through that."

"What? No! I mean, yeah, she's kind of a lot but she means well. Don't worry. No suffering on my part."

He glanced at me and smiled, which I exchanged.

"You're perfect, Lauren."

"Oh, I am never am."

"Well, you're perfect." He glanced my way. "At least to me." His eyes lingered on mine.

I looked away, feeling myself blush, "Alright, what did I tell you? Eyes on the road."

He chuckled then went back to driving.

We were both silent for a good minute.

"So, boyfriend, huh?"

"Oh, that. Sorry if I caught you off guard. I thought it's better we have that established with Axel and my aunt."

"Right. Unless..."

"Unless, what?"

"Unless we make it real?"

The gears regressed and he slowed to stop by a turnout.

"What do you mean?" he said, finally.

Oh my, what did I start?

I cleared my throat, struggling to get the words out.

"I don't know. Maybe it's the exhaustion talking, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea right now."

He looked in my eyes with excitement, "Lauren, I do like you. A lot. You don't know how much I want to kiss you right now."

I chuckled.

"But that doesn't mean I'll allow you to make rash decisions when you're tired."

I nodded, feeling a pang in my chest.

His hand traveled to my face; my eyes closed feeling its warmth. He smiled, "Please don't take this the wrong way. You are amazing. I feel like I'm about to burst at the seams." He stared into my eyes. "But I want you to pick me decisively – not when your thoughts are all convoluted. I don't want to take advantage of you."

I inhaled, "I understand."

The speakers rang an incoming phone call.

He glanced over the console. It said 'Angela'.

He looked at me like he was asking permission to answer the call. I nodded for him to go on.

He exhaled loudly, "Sorry, I have to take this."

"No problem."

He tapped the answer button, "Hello, Angela, how's it going?"

"I'm fine. Where are you?"

He glanced at me, "I'm driving to the city."

"Great. Can you make it to the studio in two hours?"

His brows pulled together in confusion, "I guess so. Why?"

"Okay, get this, I bagged you another casting call."

"Really?"

"Yes, and it's for a pretty big designer. You know what I'm talking about. So, what do you think? I need your confirmation. Are you up for it?"

He glanced at me with excitement. I nodded enthusiastically.

"Of course."

"Good. Then I'll see you in two hours."

"Thanks, Angela."

"Just doing my job. Take care, Dean." She replied then dropped the call.

He looked at me, eyes blinking rapidly in surprise, "Whoa."

"Congratulations!"

He laughed, "I'm not even there yet."

"Well, you're gonna get it."

He smiled, nodding with gusto.

"What are you waiting for? Drive. Just drop me off and go to the studio."

He grinned, "Thanks, Lauren."

* * *

Once we reached my apartment building, I asked him to open the trunk. He was about to step out of the car to help but I stopped him.

"No. I got this. I said drop off."

He shook his head, defeated.

I closed the trunk and shooed him away. I'm not going to get in the way of his career.

As I stepped on the building threshold, I inhaled the scent of lobby air freshener that smells like lavender.

Home.

It took all my energy to drag myself to the elevator, but at least I can now sleep in peace.

As I stepped out of the elevator, I saw Axel standing by my door.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded.

"I need to tell you something."

"I'm tired. Now go away or I'll call security." I entered my key on the knob.

"Lauren, please." He touched my arm but I jerked away.

"Don't touch me."

He cocked his head to the side, lips pursed in irritation.

"Don't look at me like that."

"Please I just need to tell you something."

"No, you've had your chance. We were together on a plane for seventeen hours and you didn't utter a word. Now you have something to say?" I shook my head, "There's nothing more to talk about."

"But-"

"No. Do you know how many times I've played it in my head? Everything that happened that night. What I could've said, what I should've said? And asking myself, where did I go wrong? What did I do to deserve that? And I can't think of an answer. Because no, I did not deserve that."

"Of course, you didn't. It's was all on me."

I took a step back and lowered my voice, "I went to that party for you because your family requested me to. Because you requested me to. And what did you do? Make out with your ex-girlfriend – or your girlfriend? I don't even know anymore. And then you blamed me for it." I exhaled slowly, "Now that I think about it, thank you."

His brows knit together. "What?" his voice came in a whisper.

"Thank you for showing me who you really are. Thank you for making me realize that I deserve better."

He just looked at me, listening.

"Goodbye, Axel James." I entered my apartment and left him outside.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7M 18K 11
Meet Christina A. Cruz. Single. Simple. Incredibly Beautiful. She's the girl who possesses refined manners and right conduct_ well- disciplined, k...
193K 6.3K 52
As much as Kimberly Astor hated to admit it, she had a slight problem. Okay, so it was theoretically a major problem, but it wasn't entirely her faul...
An Escort By ♡

Fanfiction

30.5K 864 59
"I'll be the one you love to hate" - true story, Ariana Grande "I'm the love of your life until I make you mad." - 1 step forward 3...
47.9K 934 77
I had a one night stand with the self-proclaimed businessman of Manhattan, New York. I have told myself it can't happen again, it just can't. I get t...