Project: Alternative

By Cennonn

Worlds were designed to make traveling between them impossible. While there might be occasional accidents whe... More

Prologue: Project Proposal
Chapter 1: Daily life of a Moderator (Jun)
Chapter 2: Daily life of an agent (Eru)
Chapter 3: Emergency (Jun)
Chapter 4: In an unknown place while wearing my pajamas (Eru)
Chapter 6: It's out of my jurisdiction, but oh well (Jun)
Chapter 7: It's hero time (Jun)
Chapter 8: A good Coder is a fair Coder (Jun)
Chapter 9: I'm a servant now. Great, right? (Eru)
Chapter 10: An unfamiliar familiar enemy (Eru)
Chapter 11: The cyan-colored Coder (Eru).
Chapter 12: On our way to Rizuru Village (Jun)
Chapter 13: Reuniting with a friend is always nice (Jun)
Chapter 14: Waking up at dawn will sometimes lead to trouble (Jun)
Chapter 15: Warning (Jun)
Chapter 16: The one who commands Reality (Eru)
Chapter 17: Confronting for answers (Eru)
Chapter 18: Training to prepare (Eru)
Chapter 19: Time to plan (Eru)
Chapter 20: The occupied city, Krusmond (Eru)
Chapter 21: Time for a riot (Jun)
Chapter 22: My first solo infiltration (Eru)
Chapter 23: The difference between me and them (Jun)
Year-End Special Announcement!!!
Year-End Special: A Project of Generations from Unnatural Worlds
Chapter 24: What am I? (Eru)
Epilogue: Resolution of the occupied city.

Chapter 5: An agent in another world is still an agent (Eru)

206 17 13
By Cennonn

Ever since I was young, I was trained to be able to handle any situation that would happen to prepare for any unexpected events in a mission. However, there was no training on getting transported to another world. I read the handbooks and they only taught me how to survive in foreign lands. There was no handbook that would teach me how to survive in a world with magic.

"So you're from another world. That's interesting", Reine said.

"You're believing me?" I asked.

"It would explain how I couldn't sense any mana inside you. What's your name?"

Oh yeah. I haven't introduced myself yet.

"My name is Reika Eru, a random guy who get sent to another world in his pajamas", I said.

"I see... Then what is your plan now, Reika?" she asked.

"I actually don't have anything. No plan, no money, no shelter, and no food. I don't even have shoes."

Reine thought for a while.

"How about coming with me for a while? We are heading to a city called Westa for a conference. I could also give you some shoes", she suggested.

"I'll gladly take any help that I could get", I replied.

"Men... This is Reika Eru. He's my guest for now. Treat him with respect", she commanded the men in white and they bowed.

"Reika. Let's continue this discussion in the carriage", she entered the vehicle and I followed.

The seats were very comfortable since they were cushioned and the insides were cool. It was like there was an air conditioner inside. Reine and I sat down opposite each other and the carriage started moving.

"How does this translation magic work? Is there any logic behind it?" I asked to start a conversation.

"Oh. Every time someone speaks, they are subconsciously forming images in their mind. Those images are turned into words and those words are sent to the recipient's ears. The magic Soul Talk interferes with that process. It would connect two people's minds so that whenever the person would speak, the image they formed would be translated into the words of the other person's language", she explained.

"I see... Magic sure is convenient."

"Indeed it is. You don't have magic in your world?"

"Nope. My world is a world of science. There's no "mana" or any magical stuff."

"Will you please tell me more about your world?"

"I don't really mind but why?"

"I am a noble but also a mage. As a mage, it is my goal to seek knowledge. And from what I see, you are a very interesting individual who has knowledge beyond this world."

"I guess I can tell you about my world."

###

I talked to Reine about my world as the carriage moved on. She listened intently as I spoke about the Internet, computers, and guns. Reine would even have questions like how electricity worked or what I meant by some terminologies like memes and such and I did my best in answering them.

A man's voice said something from outside as the carriage stopped.

"Why can't I understand their words when I can understand you?" I asked.

"It's only because Soul Talk only translates the words between two people. It would require higher proficiency in magic just to connect with another person", she answered.

She opened the door of the carriage and I found out that we were in a plaza of some sort. There were many people of different races walking around.

"Let's go, Reika", she said as she stepped out. I followed her as we walked around.

I could feel the stares of the crowd piercing through me. It was sort of funny how I was walking around in public wearing my pajamas. If this was my world, I would've buried a hole deep enough to hide myself in.

"Where are we going?" I asked her.

"My purpose for visiting Westa is to take part in a noble's meeting. I can't exactly bring you to a gathering with those unique clothes. So we're going to shop a new outfit for you", she answered.

"You're going to pick clothes for me? Can't you just ask your servants? Also, I don't have any money to buy clothes."

"I am not the kind of noble who would ask a servant to do things that I could do. Besides, the conference will start this evening. It would be boring to wait until then. And don't worry about the money. You are my guest so you are my responsibility."

Normally, I would refuse such an offer but I wasn't in the position to refuse free clothes. It would be better to get shoes and possibly clothes that wouldn't make me stand out.

We entered a clothes shop and Reine began picking out clothes for me. She would give me clothes and wait for me as I dressed up. Most of the outfits she gave me were far too stuffy. They were too formal for my tastes.

"You actually have a decent appearance. You could pass off as a noble with the right clothes", Reine said.

"Thanks? I guess. Although these clothes are too stuffy. Do I really have to wear formal ones?"

"Hmmm... Maybe this one could suit you", she handed me more clothes.

It was similar to a butler's outfit which was a black suit. I've worn suits before since I was a GUILD agent and they felt fine.

"You look handsome", Reine complimented.

"Thanks. Although I look like a butler, I'll be taking this one", I said.

"Got it. I'll pay for your clothes so just wait here", she then headed to the cashier.

I looked outside the window and for a second, I could have sworn that I made eye contact with a guy with brown hair.

His eyes were very cold and gave off the vibes that he had killed someone before. He immediately looked away and left. It was my instinct as an agent that told me that the man was bad news. But judging from how Reine's servants had no problem with killing the bandits that attacked them, I guess they might be common in this world.

"Reika? What's wrong?" Reine asked.

"It's nothing..." I replied.

Hopefully it was just nothing.

###

Turns out, it was something.

The noble's conference would be in a mansion. It was a huge property with a garden and had an exquisite exterior. Even the large iron gates with two lion statues nearby made it look like an impressive place. Reine said that she had a conference with other nobles. She didn't exactly say what it was about but it was probably important.

I was bored in a room with the rest of Reine's men so I decided to walk around. There was no use talking to them since they couldn't understand what I was saying and since I had nothing else to do, I decided to leave the room.

The maids of the mansion didn't bat an eye as I walked around. Thanks to these clothes, I fit right in. Although a butler-like outfit made me feel that I was cosplaying. I harmlessly looked outside the window and that's when I saw him.

A man in a black cloak was crouching behind a plant. He was looking around and I managed to hide at the edge of the window before he saw me. I peered over the window and saw that he sneakily walked towards a next plant.

This was bad... If a guy like that was acting sneakily, it must be an unwanted guest. I should get someone and...

And then what? I couldn't speak their language so I couldn't tell them that someone suspicious was around. If I attack him for no reason, he could lie his way out if the guards come. There was also a chance that I would be defeated. I had no other choice but to apprehend him the moment he did something suspicious.

I ran towards the spot where the suspicious man was and I looked around. There were trails on the grass and I followed it. It then led me to a small tower behind the mansion.

There was a man on the ground and when I went closer, he had his throat slit. Whoever that suspicious man was, he was a seasoned killer. His carotid artery was cut so he must've died from blood loss. It meant that my opponent was someone who was skilled enough to deliver a cut like this while being undetected.

The door of the tower was open and I cautiously moved inside. There were no traces of anyone around but I was still alert. I had no weapons except for my fists while my opponent had a blade of some sort. It would be wise to take him down while he was not alert.

I climbed up the stairs and peeked at the only door in the third floor. A cloaked man shot an arrow with a rope. He then tied the other end of the rope to a pillar and then began to slide down.

When I saw where the man was headed, I felt my blood chill. It was the room where the nobles were gathered. That man was an assassin!

Thinking fast, I took off my suit and used it to slide down the rope too. The man crashed through the window and was about to charge at Reine when I landed a kick on him.

Reine and the other nobles were confused but the man switched his target from Reine to me. He swung his knife but I managed to avoid it. I caught his arm and then disarmed him. Using martial arts, I managed to pin him to the ground and lock his arm. It would hurt him but I made sure that he wouldn't be able to move a muscle. Assassins always had tricks on their sleeves.

"Reika?" that was one word that I understood from Reine.

"Now then... I don't know why you're targeting Reine but you'd better start talking or else, I'm breaking your arm", I threatened him even though I knew that he wouldn't be able to understand a single word that I said.

He then started to spasm and foam formed on his mouth. Don't tell me!!

The man stopped moving and I let go of him. I checked his pulse and he was dead. I should've known that he would take his life if cornered. There were assassins who were loyal to their clients that they would end their lives if they failed. He must be one of those types.

I took off his cloak and he was the same man who I had eye contact with back when we were shopping for clothes. He must have been following us. But why would he attempt to kill Reine?

A strong migraine hit my head and then died down. Reine must have used that translation magic again.

"Reika? What's going on?" she asked.

"This man just tried to assassinate you... I managed to stop him but he killed himself before I could interrogate him", I answered.

The nobles were talking with each other as the doors of the room burst open with guards rushing to their masters' sides.

A noble walked towards Reina and started talking to her.

"Yes... This person is the one I was talking about", Reine replied.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"They are asking if you were the one who was transported to this world."

Wait... Did they somehow know that another world existed?

"It seems that you are part of our problem too", she said.

"What do you mean?"

"We are dealing with a crisis about two worlds after all."

For some reason, I could feel that I was getting dragged into a tiring and troublesome situation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 38 11
A young demigod kidnaps classes 1A, 1B, their teacher, UA Staff, Shinso, Hatsume, The Big three, Eri, Kota, Katsuma, Mahoro, And a handful of pro her...
2.9K 133 29
Two Girls One New World More Boys One Destiny Two paths to take Two girls, forced to save a world not of their own. Their lives already seemed diffi...
2.9K 117 9
Who knew one day with a random interaction my job could ruined peaceful life. Never wanted any fame and working a dead-end job. But now I am losing m...
1.6K 50 9
Just a Hololive fanfic where you the reader go through your normal daily life. haha not really normal bruh. In this world where supernatural exist un...