Oddly Similar (Complete)

Autorstwa ReeSha101

#1 in General Fiction of Phoenix Awards #1 self-made #1 similar #9 corporate 6'1'', dimpled, tanned, corporat... Więcej

Oddly Similar - Author's Note
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter - XI
Chapter - XII
Chapter - XIII
Chapter - XIV
Chapter - XV
Chapter - XVI
Chapter - XVII
Chapter - XVIII
Chapter - XIX
Chapter - XX
Chapter - XXI
Chapter-XXII
Chapter-XXIII
Chapter- XXIV
Chapter- XXV
Chapter- XXVI
Chapter- XXVII
Chapter- XXVIII
Chapter- XXIX
Chapter - XXX
Chapter - XXXI
Chapter - XXXIII
Chapter- XXXIV
Chapter - XXXV
Chapter - XXXVI
Chapter - XXXVII
Chapter- XXXVIII
Chapter - XXXIX

Chapter- XXXII

10 5 5
Autorstwa ReeSha101

If it were anatomically possible for a human jaw to hit the floor, it would have for Rose!!

Being stunned was an understatement!!

The moment she heard Ryan's voice being played on loop, she turned to him with evidently a lot of effort for it was unclear, if there were any emotions other than shock going through her mind.

Ryan had already motioned his staff to stop the display and the recording broadcasting to all in the Town Hall.

"It's all a smear campaign!! Who would I ever address such a statement to?! It's obviously voice phishing created from snippets of my previous interviews." Ryan addressed the crowd with his strong as a rock confidence, the same he was known and voted for every year.

Rose blinked her eyes, as if trying to snap out of this illusion the display and recording had created.

"I have been in Boston all my life.

I have grown up in front of the very eyes of my constituency who are seeing this. They know me!!

Whoever is behind this, should really have dug deeper. If they did, they would never find anything worthy of smearing the Rutherford name.

Am sure they didn't find anything and hence had to resort to such tactics!!"

"Your new lover's dogs have been chasing me and this is the best I could come up with"-- what kind of a person says something like this!!" Ryan continued with much ridicule on his face.

"I'll make sure the person responsible for this is found and brought to justice!!"

The crowd present at the Town Hall were not privy to what had been happening since it was an ongoing investigation which had all happened on private properties and was all hush-hush so they didn't think much about it. Some even laughed out when Ryan explained cause they really trusted him whole-heartedly.

Seeing the reaction of the crowd, Ryan excused himself and moved to his office grabbing Rose's wrist and whispering, "Care to join me in my office?!"

It was as much a request as a non-negotiable command.

Rose quietly followed too surprised to react yet.

Boston mayor's office was a tasteful mix of vintage and modern. The wooden wall panels, his work desk, the sofa and chairs were all original teak. The fireplace too was authentic. Fresh-cut flowers from the gardens surrounding the Town Hall were tastefully decorated on the vases. The walls were decorated with various documents of historical importance and memorabilia related to Boston.

Once Rose had followed him into his office, Ryan closed the door with as much restraint as possible so as not to bang it close. It was very evident from his face that he wanted to.

Motioning Rose towards one of the chairs, he started pacing the room with much agitation. Massaging his neck and shoulders with his hands while pacing, he tried to condense his anger into civil words.

After a couple of rounds and much fuming he finally spoke, "So I am the new victim in the list of people this Pete-guy is harassing? Did I sum it right?" he questioned looking up at Rose.

Rose could barely manage a nod seeing Ryan's face all red.

"And why is that?"

"What have I done to grab his particular attention?!"

"Did he hate the fact that I visited you guys?! Or that the police are looking into him?! Does he want to ruin my name for that?!"

Rose barely nodded a i-don't-know expression with concerned eyes.

Ryan finally sat down with an exasperated sigh, facing Rose, with his hands still in his hair.

"Have you ever mentioned of my interest in you to anyone?" Ryan asked with honest eyes. His face was apprehensive as if asking about the punishment for his crime.

Rose again nodded a no with a heart sad for a friend who'd never done any wrong.

What has he done to be dragged into this?!

I have never seen him this dejected.

No one deserves it!!

Ryan doesn't!!

Matt doesn't!!

Roger doesn't!!

Dad doesn't!!

Only I deserve this mess!!

I caused it!!

I created it!!

I am the reason behind this!!

Rose looked down to the ground with guilt-ridden eyes which were tearing up. She didn't want Ryan to see her cry and misconstrue anything.

She really wanted to come clean about everything to everyone so that this thorn ripping her within would be gone and for once since the past 12 years she'd be able to breathe freely.

Secrets can truly be poisonous, for the one keeping it as well as for the one from whom the knowledge is denied.

Mum always said keep your soul free of the bonds secrets create.

Rose really wished to go back in time and right this wrong her first love had created.

Was it really love though?!

When it creates monsters out of the people involved?!

When said people burn everything real actually and metaphorically?!

Rose absently nodded no to herself looking up at the ceiling trying to stop the tears threatening to break free.

Ryan was absently staring at a spot on the ground and Rose was lost in thoughts the moment she felt a knife on her throat which snapped her attention back to the present.

"Hello Ryan!!" Pete's throaty voice spread across the room like a fog.

Ryan looked up from the ground at Rose as if he couldn't believe a third person could materialise in his office. His eyes grew wide with concern, fear and anger all at the same time.

"Hi babe!!" Pete breathed next to Rose's neck pulling her up in front of him from the chair holding her left shoulder. Rose complied.

Rose couldn't pinpoint if it was recognition or realisation that it is a life-and-death situation that had seeped into Ryan's eyes when he stared at Pete.

Pete didn't say anything during the stare-down that happened between Ryan and him for almost a minute.

"Are you trying to guilt Rose?"

"Is anyone besides you at fault?" There was a strange conviction in Pete's voice.

It wasn't clear if rage or cat caught Ryan's tongue but he sure was seething with anger which was clear from the white knuckles of his fist.

"Would you do us the honors by coming clean?" Pete kept on goading.

"You."

It was the only word Ryan spoke.

"Remember me, Ryan?! Or do you only remember your voters?!"
Pete's smile and mockery was audible through the sentence.

"Karma surely is something!! Someone steals something from someone only to have to hand it back!!"

If Ryan could fist his fingers any harder, he would've cause now his knuckles were all pink due to the force.

"Am I right, Ryan?!"

"You always believed in Karma, right, babe?" Pete's voice was wistful and nostalgic.

Rose found it difficult to gulp down his words unsure who they were meant for.

Matt and Arthur opened the door and stepped into Ryan's office that very minute.

"And here's the cavalry!!" Pete chuckled as if it didn't make him any difference.

A/N: Big revelations!! Which direction do you think the story is going?!

Take care. Stay safe.

Don't forget to vote!!

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

456K 8.7K 13
#3 in the Undiscovered writers awards for chicklit genre #107 in Chicklit 20 December 2016 #9 in Undiscovered SAMPLE ONLY. To read the story in full...
12.4M 452K 62
"Feel that?" He asked, keeping her hand still. "That's what you do to me. Every time I see you. Every time I hear you laugh. Every time I think of yo...
1M 10.3K 16
Running away from the dark past of her life, Sofia McCommer is determined to start new and prove her worth to her family by joining her family busine...
22.7K 783 40
[COMPLETED] [EDITED] He smirked and got even closer to my face, "you see, this report is technically under my..." He tilted his head slightly to whi...