Annabeth Chase and the Lightn...

By Morro11

Annabeth Chase is a daughter of Athena and has been at camp longer than anyone else. She's head counsellor of... More

Chapter 1 - I pick a fight with every thing and every one
Chapter 2 - I get scared by a storm
Chapter 3 - I babysit a drooling unconscious boy
Chapter 4 - I sass my mother
Chapter 5 - I get embarrassed by a dork
Chapter 6 - I get rained on by a toilet
Chapter 7 - I confuse the newbie
Chapter 8 - Percy beats up the Ares kids
Chapter 9 - It starts raining
Chapter 10 - I do a lot of listening
Chapter 11 - The suicidal quest begins
Chapter 13 - I piggy-back a Fury
Chapter 14 - We meet some realistic garden gnomes
Chapter 15 - Percy's father's former girlfriend doesn't like us
Chapter 16 - Percy and I argue. As usual
Chapter 17 - We meet a runaway poodle
Chapter 18 - I bore the boys to death
Chapter 19 - Percy destroys more stuff
Chapter 20 - I scare a mortal
Chapter 21 - We meet a god for dinner
Chapter 22 - I go on the Thrill Ride of Love with Percy
Chapter 23 - We achieve take-off
Chapter 24 - Percy insults a god
Chapter 25 - We ride the inhumane zoo express
Chapter 26 - A lion and an antelope become besties
Chapter 27 - I build a city by myself
Chapter 28 - We try to figure out who our enemy is
Chapter 29 - We meet a shifty waterbed dealer
Chapter 30 - Percy and Crusty talk business
Chapter 31 - We arrive at the Underworld
Chapter 32 - I get a new dog
Chapter 33 - Grover's shoes betray him
Chapter 34 - I meet my great-uncle
Chapter 35 - Percy loses his mother again
Chapter 36 - A boar goes surfing
Chapter 37 - Ares gets his comeupins
Chapter 38 - I return home in one piece
Chapter 39 - I become Grover's mama goat
Chapter 40 - We find the traitor
Author's Note

Chapter 12 - Percy feeds a goat an apple

6K 149 133
By Morro11

"So far so good," Percy commented as drove through western Long Island. "Ten miles and not a single monster."

I glared at him irritably. He was distracting me from the view outside. This was the first time I'd been out of camp in months. The last time was when I'd gone on that field trip at the winter solstice. That seemed years ago now.

"It's bad luck to talk that way, Seaweed Brain." I told him.

"Remind me again - why do you hate me so much?"

"I don't hate you."

"Could've fooled me."

I lot could fool you, I thought then felt bad. I was a little harsh on him sometimes, but it was only because of his father. Truthfully, he wasn't that bad a guy. Just dumb and irritating. But then again, what guy isn't? Well, Luke.

I folded my cap which I had taken to carrying around in my hand so I knew I had it always.

"Look," I told Percy. "We're just not supposed to get along, okay? Our parents are rivals."

"Why?"

I sighed. Did he really not know the stories?

"How many reasons do you want? One time my mom caught Poseidon with his girlfriend in Athena's temple, which is hugely disrespectful. Another time, Athena and Poseidon competed to be the patron god for the city of Athens. Your dad created some stupid saltwater spring for his gift. My mom created the olive tree. The people saw that her gift was better, so they named the city agent her."

"They must really like olives," Percy commented.

"Oh, forget it," I snapped.

"Now, if she'd invented pizza - that I could understand."

"I said, forget it!"

Argus was smirking and I think I saw him wink at Percy. Grover just huddled down and avoided us. He knew better than to get in a fight between us.

We were dropped off at the Greyhound Station on the Upper East Side and Argus unloaded our bags and made sure we had out tickets. As he drove away, I saw Percy rip down a flyer, trying to do it secretly so Grover and I didn't notice. I did, but I decided not to mention it.

I sat down amongst the bags, feeling that it would be a long wait. Percy was staring off into the distance and after a moment, Grover joined him.

"You want to know why she married him, Percy?" He asked.

Percy looked shocked.

"Were you reading my mind or something?"

"Just your emotions. Guess I forgot to tell you satyrs can do that. You were thinking about your mom and your stepdad, right?"

Percy nodded. I felt like an intruder on something private. I probably shouldn't listen but I couldn't not listen.

"Your mom married Gabe for you," Grover told Percy. "You call him "Smelly", but you've got no idea. The guy has this aura . . . Yuck, I can smell him from here. I can smell traces of him on you, and you haven't been near him for a fortnight."

"Thanks," said Percy. "Where's the nearest shower?"

"You should be grateful, Percy. Your stepfather smells so repulsively human he could mask the presence of any demigod. As soon as I took a whiff inside his Camaro, I knew: Gabe has been covering your scent for years. If you hadn't lived with him every summer, you probably would've been found by monsters a long time ago. She was a smart lady. She must've loved you a lot to put up with that guy - if that makes you feel any better."

I felt jealousy gnaw at me. I wasn't jealous that his mom died, but that he had a mom at all. Sure, I had my dad, but he'd never loved me. Not like Percy's mom did. He didn't try to protect me, try to help me through the monster attacks. He hated me, feared more for his family than for me. Feared me.

Percy looked as downcast as I felt. We needed to cheer up or this quest would fail before it even started. It didn't help that it also was pouring down rain, making the mood even gloomier. I racked my brains for something to do, then my eyes fell on Grover's bag.

"Why don't we play some Hacky Sack?" I suggested, trying to sound as upbeat as I could.

Grover readily agreed, diving into his bag to fish out an apple. Percy looked reluctant at first, but then he really got into the game. He wasn't bad but he was still clumsy, the apple occasionally flying off after a mis-hit. I won every game as I could bounce the apple off every part of my body. I didn't bother tell them that I'd spent hours perfecting this when I was traveling with Luke and Thalia. It was out only source of entertainment back in those days. Grover was the worst. He could barely control the apple and he accidentally ended the game by gulping the apple down whole.

Percy and I cracked up, holding our sides with laughter as Grover tried to apologise. The sight of his blushing, ashamed face just made me laugh more as I remembered his excited, wide-mouthed look as the apple tumbled to it's doom.

The bus arrived and Grover suddenly became more alert and wary, sniffing the air suspiciously. My stomach dropped. He only ever did that when monsters around.

"What is it?" Percy asked.

"I don't know," Grover answered warily, not wanting to scare Percy. "Maybe it's nothing."

It was obvious Percy didn't believe him. Grover was such a bad liar that even Percy could see through him. He looked suspiciously around while Grover sent me a distressed look. I shook my head, telling him no. We'd sort it out somehow.

We boarded the bus and got seats at the back together. Our backpacks got stowed away but I kept my cap in hand. I wasn't going to let that go, not when danger was so close.

The last passengers got on and I felt a chill down my spine. Three women had just got on, all wearing crumpled velvet dresses, paisley handbags, shapeless knitted hats and lace gloves. They looked like wrinkled grandmothers that have broken out of prison after murdering the guards. The truth wasn't far from that.

I remembered the last time I'd met them. If it was possible, they looked even worse now than they did back then. Maybe because last time I'd been seven and too terrified out of my wits to realise what was going on around me.

I grabbed Percy's knee and nodded towards the Furies. The blood drained out of his face and he sunk down in his seat. The Furies sat in the front seats and the two on the aisle crossed their legs to make an X as the bus started. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to realise what it meant: no one leaves.

"She didn't stay dead long," Percy quavered. "I thought you said they could be dispelled for a lifetime."

"I said if you're lucky," I corrected him. "You're obviously not."

"All three of them," Grover whined. "Di immortales!"

I was thinking hard. There had to be some escape.

"It's okay," I said. "The Furies. The three worst monsters from the Underworld. No problem. No problem." I knew I was rambling but my mind was working overtime. "We'll just slip out the windows."

"They don't open," Grover moaned.

"A back exit?" I asked.

Grover shook his head miserably.

"They won't attack us with witnesses around," Percy said hopefully. "Will they?"

"Mortals don't have good eyes," I told him. "Their brains can only process what they see through the Mist."

"They'll see three old ladies killing us, won't they?"

"Hard to say," I answered, my mind in turmoil as I thought about escape routes and his question. "But we can't count on mortals for help. Maybe an emergency exit in the roof . . . ?"

We drove into the Lincoln Tunnel and the bus went dark and silent. Alecto, the main Fury, the one Percy knew as Mrs Dodds, suddenly stood up.

"I need to use the restroom,"she announced to the bus in a drone-like voice.

"So do I," said Megaera.

"So do I," said Tisiphone.

They started coming down the aisle just as an idea burst into my head.

"I've got it," I said. "Percy, take my hat."

"What?"

"You're the one they want," I explained hurriedly. "Turn invisible and go up the aisle. Let them pass you. Maybe you can get to the front and get away."

"But you guys -"

"There's a chance they might not notice us. You're a son of one of the Big Three. Your smell might be overpowering."

"I can't just leave you."

I had to admit, he was brave. And loyal. But that wasn't going to help now.

"Don't worry about us," Grover said. "Go!"

Percy looked worried, but I thrust my cap at him, forcing him to take it. He gave us a final reluctant look before slipping it on and disappearing. I'd done it hundreds of times myself, but it was strange seeing someone else do it.

But I didn't have time to mull over it. I just hoped that my plan would work.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

688K 33.9K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, a powerful d...
1M 55.4K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
1.6M 29.4K 34
❝Myself and Mr D have decided to send you to High School. Specifically Goode High School. Percy's High School.❞ ❝We're going to Goode?❞ ❝Yes.❞ ©viole...
133K 1K 33
Percy and Annabeth Jackson live together at Camp, enjoying the peace from after the wars. After getting married at 19, Annabeth is pregnant at 21. Be...