Belonging | Alec Lightwood

By Itzwhatever

'He said, there are thousands of Shadowhunter's, but great love comes once in a lifetime if one is lucky, and... More

DISCLAIMER
PROLOGUE
CHARACTER PROFILE
TRAILER
COVER ART
AESTHETICS
🗝
(1) Happy Birthday
(2) Meeting Blondie
(3) Hello hot eyes
(4) Still an asshole
(5)Thanks for the tat
(6)Female anatomy
(7) Meth Dealer
(8) Time for Boys
(9) Si bitch, her too
(10) Burden
(11) Fuck the accords
(12) Teach me
(13) Alec's answer
(14) As funny as Ebola
(15) One step forward, two steps back
(16) Hotter than Jace
(17) Memory
🗝
(18) Lies and open wounds
(19) I can't
(20) Hibernating
(21) Torn
(22) Intoxicating
(23) One in a million
(24) Wrapped around my finger
(25) Short end of the stick
(26) Male Anatomy
(27) Always goes wrong
(28) I did it
(29) Warnings and intruders
(30) Seeing red
(31) Save him
(32) One knee
(33) Arrangement
(34) Obligations
(35) What I liked about you
(36) Heaven
(37) Beginning to fade
(38) Sister Sister
(39) Threesome
(40) Family United
(41) Bad idea
(42) The Wedding
(43) Him and I
🗝
(44) Crazy
(45) Right Choices
(46) Adios
(47) Back again
(48) Hurricane
(50) For Jace
(51) Getting between us
(52) 3 words, 8 letters
(53) Running out of time
(54) Hope
(55) Shattering
(56) Hunt
(57) Alone
(58) Darkness
Acknowledgements
!!!!

(49) Interrogation

1.6K 51 101
By Itzwhatever

I stalked through the institute swiftly, the emptiness and silence of the corridors and rooms alerting me further to the seriousness of what was occurring.

Not even 5 minutes after Magnus had fixed the disaster that I made of the kitchen and then had kindly held me as I wept did I receive an alarmed and important text from Izzy, practically demanding that I get to the Ops Centre.

And so I was, rushing as quickly as I could to see what the hell was happening.

Magnus was opposed to me leaving, saying he would go in my place and report back since I wasn't 'in the right state to be dealing with another spout of Clave bullshit', but I knew that whatever was happening I had to be there to witness.

Brushing aside my own drama and worries seemed easier with a bigger distraction.

As I round the corner, I'm instantly hit with the ever-increasing whispers and muttering of the Ops Centre, practically overspilling with the crowded and awaiting Shadowhunter's of the institute. As soon as I walk in, I spot Clary and the other's by the front, her strawberry blonde locks a dead giveaway.

"Excuse me" I mutter lowly, edging and pushing my way through the hordes of people before eventually reaching the front. I step around a woman, only to bump lightly into the chest of another person, making me falter a few steps.

"Camilla"

My eyes lift to meet Alec's gaze, surprise evident on my features at bumping into him. His expression was tight, his eyes softly taking in the unease on my face, before widening slightly.

"Your face-" he says alarmed, his hand coming up to touch the small scar that was forming near my temple, a souvenir of the unlikely events of today. However, before his fingers can gently graze the scar, I push his hand away, perhaps more harshly than I intended to.

"I'm fine, don't worry about it" I mutter, bile rising up my throat at the memory of what just occurred and my eyes beginning to sting as I take in Alec's wounded and soft eyes. He lowers his hand as if burnt, gnawing on his lip momentarily, as if unsure what to say.

"Look, Camilla, what I said-"

"I need to talk to Clary, excuse me" I interrupt swiftly, abruptly lowering my gaze and pushing past Alec, not giving him the time to recover and attempt to talk to me again.

I wasn't mad at him, not really. I understand what he said was out of anger and even though It hurt me, I can relate to his feelings of helplessness.

But I can't look him in the eye without feeling and remembering the horror that I just endured and I don't know if I can face Alec finding out right now.

I don't want him to look at me any differently.

I push forward and stop beside Clary and Izzie, watching with bated breath as Maryse steps forwards on the landing, immediately silencing the murmuring crowds.

"We are at war." Maryse announces, powerful as ever "Valentine now has the Mortal Cup, with which he is, no doubt, raising a new army, and one of our own has joined him"

"She's talking about Jace, isn't she?" Clary gasps, her face falling as I reach to touch her hand, soothing her erratic nerves.

"Looks like the Queen's taking back her Kingdom" Izzie sneers, folding her arms as she scowls up at her mother.

"As a result, the Clave has declared a state of emergency at the Institute. It is an honour to introduce the newly appointed head of the New York Institute, Clave representative, Victor Aldertree."

The whispers and noise of unsettlement grow at the announcement and my eyes shift to Lydia, who looks as blindsided and betrayed as this entire scheme seemed.

"Did you know about this?" Alec asks, his voice low.

"You're mother went behind my back" Lydia replies, though her voice is barely heard, exasperated as she watches the new head step forward.

I keep my eyes trained on him, looking over his short dark hair and tan skin and the way his suit seems to fit him just right. Aldertree looks serious, the small smirk he seems to throw out exudes a sense of power.

And he does have power. The ultimate power.

"My fellow Shadowhunter's. It's an honour to be here with you all." He smiles, clasping his hand firmly at his front.

"We have to find Jace Wayland. He's a Shadowhunter and we don't leave our people behind. The answer to his location may very well lie in this room" His eyes flicker over to Clary and me, his gaze wavering slightly as our eyes lock before shifting.

"So, I want to speak with everyone who went on a mission where Jace disappeared." He states nodding, and before we can disperse he says one final thing. "Also, effective immediately, the Institute is on lockdown. But it's only temporary. Let's turn this Institute around."

And with that, he turns and leaves, barely acknowledging the chaos his words left behind.

"If we're in lockdown, who's going to find Jace?" Clary mutters, looking to Izzy, disbelief written across her face.

"We'll figure it out Risa, don't worry." Clary nods and as we stand readying ourselves for the next few hours, I notice Alec's eyes closed in on me and soon he's moving in my direction, his intention clear.

"Camilla" My eyes turn at the mention of my name, feeling Alec stop beside me also. "Aldertree would like to see you in his office".

I nod, a mixture of fear and relief weighing me down. Nodding to the others I swiftly walk away, my mind spinning as I contemplate what Aldertree could ask and how the hell I'm going to talk to Alec.

***

"You wanted to see me?"

Aldertree turns, a smile gracing his handsome features and his eyes brightening as he ushers me in. I notice he's taken off his blue blazer and now wears a waistcoat, his sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

"Please take a seat," He says, his hand signalling for the black couch across from his desk. I nod stiffly before sitting down, my eyes follow his movements as he shifts in front of me and places himself on the seat directly in front of me.

"Quite the interrogation you've got set up here" I snark, folding my arms as I lean back my eyes zeroed in on the camera set up and pointed at me. The words come out lightly, though the heat behind this coup is evident.

Aldertree merely chuckles, pulling out a small pad and pen, his eyes dancing with amusement. "This isn't an interrogation, though it is official business, so I have to be official".

"Fine" I sigh, unfolding my arms and gesturing for him to continue with his 'official business'.

"So Camilla, you had the impression that by leaving with Valentine Jace was saving your lives?" He asks, curiously watching me as my brow furrowed.

"Impression? It's what happened. If Jace hadn't left- if he had tried anything Valentine would have had his cronies kill us" I explain, reeling in my irritation and trying to remain impartial.

Though with a family that can be hard.

"Was he within striking distance of Valentine? Could he have taken the man out?" He asks, firing questions at me, his demeanour suggestive.

"Are you suggesting he didn't want to kill Valentine?" I question, a scowl shaping my face "Because maybe he could've made an attempt, and maybe that would've ended with that bastard dead- but it also would've ended with three people he loved dead too"

Aldertree merely smirks again, his eyes shifting down as he scribbles away at his little notepad, and the longer he writes the more frustrated I feel myself get.

"Bastard? Harsh word for your own father no?" He asks, shrugging.

"Not harsh enough of a word for a psychotic murderer. He isn't my father, I don't love him, so yeah- he's a bastard" I roll my eyes, obviously showing how tedious I found these questions.

"No, I don't imagine you do love him. But you love Jace?" He asks, leaning forward, his pen and pad discarded beside him.

"Of course," I say, slowly "He's family"

"Is that love for Jace the same you have for Alec Lightwood?"

That question catches me off guard.

"What?" I snap, my eyes narrowing. Though he doesn't relent, laughter lacing his features.

"What does Alec have to do with any of this?" I demand, no longer leaning back but now sitting up straight, my frustration at boiling point. Aldertree sighs, nodding and stands quickly turning off the camera.

"Apologies, I shouldn't have sidetracked." He says, smiling genuinely, or what he thinks is genuine. "You're free to go" He states with a small smile.

I nod once, perplexed before swiftly standing from the couch and exiting the office, his eyes piercing into my back as I leave.

***

"Camilla!" Alec calls, "Wait".

I ground down to a stop, before turning on my heels and watching stiffly as Alec jogs up to me, his eyes narrowed down on my face.

"How did your interview go?" He asks suddenly, his voice unsteady as he attempts to break through this wall we've unwittingly built between us.

"It was okay, a little weird. I don't know how much I trust Aldertree or his intentions so be careful with how much you reveal" I say, watching as he nods in agreement.

I smile shortly, the silence becoming deafening but as I move to walk away Alec's hand encases mine, his fingers soft. My eyes lift to his and the guilt and regret behind them make my chest ache.

"Camilla, I'm sorry-"

"Alec, you don't have to "

"No, I do" He cuts me off, stepping forward, his body brushing against mine. "What I said was wrong and disgusting and I regretted it as soon as I said it."

"I'm scared" He whispers, his voice breaking. My head snaps up in shock, and I felt my throat close at the sight of his broken demeanour and the shine coating his eyes.

"Alec" I mutter, my hand coming up to cup his cheeks, he nestles into my palm, closing his eyes momentarily.

"I need Jace back. But I also need you" He says, gripping my hand for dear life. "Forgive me?" He asks, hopefully.

"Of course I forgive you" I sigh, relaxing as the block between us seems to thaw. "I know you're feeling helpless and you lashed out but I need you to let me in, and we can do it together, yeah?"

He nods, smiling as he holds my hand.

"We'll fix it together" He whispers back, pressing a light kiss to my palm.

As we stare at each other, my heart still aches. The pressuring reminder of what I did barrels down on me and the need to tell Alec ten-folds.

I trust him to be there for me.

"Alec, I need-"

My words are cut off swiftly, an alarm ripping through the building, so loud it was almost deafening. Alec and I look to each other in panic, before we both rush back to the Ops- centre, watching as Izzy and Clary run in from the opposite direction.

And our eyes immediately fall to the middle.

Where Jace's picture rotates, 'WANTED: Dead or Alive".

Hi Guys!

I know, I totally suck. I'm sorry :( 

It's been... more than a hot minute since I last updated and I'm a total bitch for making you all wait, especially on a cliffhanger. Crazy life shit happening in 2021, I finished Sixth Form, smashed my A levels and now I'm in my first year of University. My motivation has been none existent BUT hopefully, I will be updating more frequently and not falling off the edge of the Earth never to be seen again. 

Make sure you VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE.

And I will see you lovelies next update xo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.7K 896 54
"Family isn't just blood, Clary." _____________________________________ Following Jocelyn Fairchild's untimely death, Clary realizes she has no-one l...
264K 7.8K 83
Cover by the brilliantly talented @amxnaah "This is chaos. And not the good kind of chaos. The 'let me go die in a hole' kind of chaos." "Oh calm do...
2.8M 74.5K 187
The greatest Shadowhunter of his generation is what they say about the legendary Jace Wayland. But, what you don't know, is that they also say the sa...
83.4K 4.9K 31
"The law is hard but it is the law" Alec Lightwood is a cop for the NYPD. He comes from a long line of cops in the family. He loves his job. He loves...