The King's Poison

By uncouthwriter

She was meant to serve the king. She had no place. No importance. No story. Simply taste the King's food for... More

I.
II.
III.
IV.
V.
VI.
VII.
VIII
IX.
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
18
19
20
21
22
23
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVII
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51

XXIV

3.2K 156 87
By uncouthwriter

Previous chapter
Henry

"Who do I need to kill to make you happy?" I cursed, forcing her jaw up. She looked into my eyes and glared.

"Lady Seymour" she smirked before buttoning up the back of her dress and storming out the room.

——

Henry

"So the Pope requested another meeting this morning. I urged him not to my king. I told him a meeting would be inconvenient but of course, he refused any alternative. It was unexpected but he insisted it was necessary."

"Let me guess. He caught wind of Philip's severed arm?" I chuckled to myself. Thinking of my best friend Philip. I hadn't seen him since the night of our brawl. I wondered how his arm was healing?

"That... among other things" Cromwell revealed.

"I suppose this is some sort of prayer intervention? His last attempt to save my cursed soul"

"Who knows with the pope. " Cromwell cursed.

"How long is he here till?"

"Just three days," he said unconvincingly.

The Pope insisted he was cutting his trip short 4 days ago. I was beginning to think busying himself in my castle was a pastime.

"Knowing that loon, he will make it a month." I cursed.

Cromwell ignored me of course, going on and on about plans for the day but all I could think of was Anna and the equestrian she has asked of me.

"Who do I need to kill to make you happy?"

"Lady Seymour"

There was venom in the way she said it and fulfillment in the way her lips curled. It was as if she had been rehearsing for the day that I would ask her.

But could I kill Jane? I had just finish executing Anne. There would be uproar if another woman in my court was sentenced to death by guillotiné.

The Pope had already deemed me a menace for that. With Philip's severed arm and my disrespect for his authority, I was hanging on by only a thin thread of the church's mercy.

——
Anna

"So make sure the scones are front and center. Serve the king first then the Pope. They are most important. Anna.
Anna! are you listening?" Catherine fussed.

"Yes, Catherine. Of course, I was listening" I lied.

"Okay. What did I say then?" She turns to me, wiping her hands clean of powdered sugar.

"Hmmmmm...." I hummed trying to come up with a pleasing answer.

"You said to make sure the scones are center and to serve the king first." Thomas interjected, saving me from an earful of her wrath. Catherine glared at him before turning back to her duties.

"Thomas will not always be here to save you" Catherine warns.

"You are right" I pretended to frown, "but as long as he is here. I will accept his generous aide" I smile skipping to his side before leaning my cheek against his shoulder. He smiles handsomely before flipping over the pages of his book.

He was off sketching something again. "Thomas, will you ever show me what is in that book of yours?"

"Maybe one day" he smirked lazily. Catherine piled a plate of fresh warms scones onto a white plate before pushing it against my palm.

"Remember what I said"

"Yes Catherine. Of course. You worry too much" I smiled taking the tray.

Henry

It was supposed to be a small meal amongst a few dignitaries along with the Pope. I had persuaded them to leave though. I knew Anna would be tasting my food as I had requested for especially. The Pope was a bit harder to get rid of but nothing a letter from Cromwell couldn't fix.

I twirl a finger against the rim of an empty glass, impatiently waiting for Anna's beautiful face to greet me.  I wondered what color she wore today?

Pity, the dress would be on the floor in due time.

Before I could daydream about every curve of her beautiful body, the doors slam open.

"Beady-eyed Cromwell said I would find you here"

"Thayne!" I stood, staring at him with amazement. His presence was unexpected....

"Henry! Brother, you look gaunt!" He chuckled, walking over to meet my frame.

"And you look tired. Have you grown shorter brother?" I teased, making sure to boost my stature.

"No you just have formed a hunch" he replied.
We chuckled boyishly before hugging in familiarity.
"How has ruling a kingdom been finding you?"

"As good as it can be?"

"How're the poisonings?"

"Surprisingly? They have decreased"

"Surprisingly?" Thayne repeated after me.

"Doubtlessly?" I corrected my words. He chuckled, plopping down in a seat at the table.

"So what's for supper brother? I'm starving" he asked rather intrusively. I rolled my eyes, looking towards the kitchen doors, impatiently waiting for Anna.

"You seem impatient Henry. You must be famished"

"Not for food brother" I whispered, pushing a hand to prop my cheek.

"I've met with your betrothed Henry" I hated how casually he said the title. I had personally put in a word to the committee to court Lady Seymour just a couple of weeks ago but lately, my feelings for her had been dwindling.
Anna was my new obsession.

"I have also met Anna"

"Privately?" I raged.

"No. Lady Seymour was there" I chose to ignore him and just listen. I was curious as to why Anna had wanted her killed, maybe he would reveal a motive?

"She's... spellbinding Henry."

"Isn't she?" I frowned, looking to the door again. Where could she be?

"You've told her about Lady Seymour I assume? How you are courting her?"

Silence filled the space.

"Anna hates Jane and Jane hates her. You know it, Henry"

"So what? Who Jane hates is of no concern to me" I sneered.

"The anger laced in your voice is lethal. You must have fuc*ed her good"

I shot from my seat, pulling his throat between my palms. "Who I choose to fu*k is of no concern to you"

"You are marrying her in 5 months. I assume Anna must be fine with this unless..brother? Have you not told her?"

"Is there a reason for your unexpected visit Thayne? I seethed, letting his body fall to the table.

"I want her Henry"

"And what if I tell you, you can't have her?"

He chuckled and shook his head no.

"You know me, Henry.
I am a man who always gets what he wants and obtains what he needs"

"That is why I obtained the throne instead of you?" I retorted.

"Correct." He chuckled, lifting an empty glass to his lips. "That's the funny thing Henry. I didn't want the throne. I want her and I always get what I want"

Anna

Catherine insisted I stay in the kitchen for just a while longer until the scones cool. I guess she didn't want me to be liable for any inconveniences experienced by the king.

Henry watches me carefully, his eyes drinking me in. I knew the look of conquest...of dominance in his orbs. He would not be filled until he had me... all of me and that made me smile.

A man that sat beside him drunk me in as well. His features were so familiar...
His face? I could not place it for some reason?

Henry stood, watching me carefully.

"I am sorry my king, I was told to wait for the scones to cool" I frowned. He looked into my eyes, walking over before snatching my jaw and kissing me desperately. We fought for dominance, our tongues lapping carelessly until I broke and looked to the man behind him.

"Henry" I whispered, making him remember the company he had.

"Anna. I have heard so much about you" the man interjected, walking to break Henry and me apart. He grabbed my hand, kissing the sling of my palm before looking into my eyes.

And instantly, it hit me. He was the man who came to the testing lesson with Jane a few days ago, but who was he?

"Thayne. Prince of England and brother to the king. It is a pleasure to finally match the beautiful face to the name"  He was a smooth talker... maybe as forward as Henry.

I smiled, staring into his eyes before looking at Henry. "I was told this was a dinner party. I was expecting a few more people" I say. Henry shrugged, pulling me into his lap. He took my plate of scones, dropping them to the table behind us.

"I told them to go away." He bragged, pushing a curl away from my face. I looked into his eyes, staring at his lips before wiping them clean.

"I like when you make people disappear" I bragged, clueing him in on my latest request to kill Lady Seymour. He let out a lazy chuckle before pressing his lips against mine. We kiss passionately again, falling to the surface of the table.

I wished so much to continue but Henry's brother still watched us with curious enthusiasm.

"Can you send him away" I whispered, carefully staring into his eyes. He chuckled and sat up, pulling me into his lap.

"My brother refuses to leave."

"Why?" I smiled, gently running a finger against his cheek.

"He seems to have some obsession with you."

"Is that so?" I giggled turning around to face the man named Thayne. He looked me up and down before nodding in agreement.

"It is so, Lady Anna" he says pridefully.

"Hmmm and you say it with no shame, in front of your brother who happens to be the king"

"I am aware of his title Anna."

I smiled, walking forward to test his temperance. "And what is your obsession with me? I looked like his beloved. That is why Henry cherishes me. What is your reason Thayne" I asked?

He pulled me into his arms before pulling me against his toned chest. He pulled a curl from behind my ear, twisting it between his fingers. He was very forward but for some reason... I did not mind it.

"Your eyes.
Your lips.
The way your body flushes against my skin." He pushes his nose against my neck, inhaling my scent like a budding flower. "And your pheromone. It's addictive."

It tried to hide the warmth but he lifted a palm to my cheek, purposely making me blush.

"Is that all?" I cursed, staring into his eyes.

"For now? Yes." He whispered, looking over at Henry. He chuckled a little before meeting my eyes again, "Especially that I wish to walk away with my life"

And with that, he let me go, patting his brother's cheek before leaving the room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The viper in the veil By Aya

Historical Fiction

382 29 23
Have you ever thought what immortality would taste like? Would it taste like a fresh water after drought or like the last bite when you're full?
1.1K 73 29
1449. Succeeded to the throne at the age of twenty-one, Jace Marcellus rules Ofrua, a powerful empire that dominated Aigrus long before the rise of...
157K 6K 34
King reyansh singhania had never been taught how to love or respect a human soul.Fuck! He doesn't even has any idea how to treat a human in the first...
1.2M 56.3K 162
"๐ˆ ๐ฆ๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ง ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ, ๐ฎ๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐ฅ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฅ๐š๐ฌ๐ญ ๐๐ฒ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐›๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ก...๐š๐ง๐ ๐›๐ž๐ฒ๐จ๐ง๐." โ–โ–โ–โ–โ–โ–โ–โ–โ–โ– ๐–๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐€๐ง๐ ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฌ ๐ก๐š...