The Puppet Master's Last Test...

By bugaboo107

Akito is dead. A will is left behind detailing what must be done to free the Sohmas from the curse. An unlike... More

The Puppet Master's Last Testament (Fruits Basket FanFiction)
Chapter 2: The Game Plan
Chapter 3: To Woo a Girl
Chapter 4: Hunting Down the Perfect One
Chapter 5: Behind Closed Doors
Chapter 6: Adventures in Spring Chores!
Chapter 7: To the Doctor's House We Go!
Chapter 8: Till Dawn Do Us Part
Chapter 9: Legend of the Streets
Chapter 10: Window-Shopping
Chapter 11: Vision in Red
Chapter 12: Her Seven Dwarves
Chapter 13: Silent Night
Chapter 14: By The Sea
Chapter 15: Reverie in Azure
Chapter 16: Decadent Dreams of Desire
Chapter 17: A Twitch and a Thump
Chapter 18: Broken Memories
Chapter 19: Of Sorrowful Tales and Tickles
Chapter 20: Two Little Piggies Went to Market
Chapter 21: Catch and Release!
Chapter 22: Late Nights
Chapter 23: Guilt-Ridden
Chapter 24: Interlude I: Rainy Campsite
Chapter 25: Star Light, Star Bright
Chapter 26: Morning Jitters
Chapter 27: The Descent
Chapter 28: The Ten Confessions
Chapter 29: Driven to Distraction
Chapter 31: Restless
Chapter 32: Windows to the Soul
Chapter 33: Pitter-Patter
Chapter 34: Betrayal
Chapter 35: Ease My Pain
Chapter 36: Interlude II: Morning Reflections
Chapter 37: Repentance
Chapter 38: Interlude III: Moments in Time
Chapter 39: Scars and Stories
Chapter 40: Over the Moon
Chapter 41: Domestication and Detox
Chapter 42: Sweet Memories
Chapter 43: A Thousand Words
Chapter 44: Playing House
Chapter 45: Cold Front
Chapter 46: Sex-Sober
Chapter 47: His and Hers
Chapter 48: Unwanted (Untamed)
Chapter 49: Unwanted (Tamed)
Chapter 50: Interlude IV: Frostbitten
Chapter 51: The Weeks After
Chapter 52: Shattered Hearts
Chapter 53: Picking up the Shattered Pieces
Chapter 54: Aftershock
Chapter 55: Interlude V: Need You, Want You
Chapter 56: Atonement
Chapter 57: Epilogue: Daikon Wars

Chapter 30: Amor Fati

141 3 1
By bugaboo107

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Thirty: Amor Fati

Three and a half days after the trip to the zoo

He entered the jewelry shop. He peered into the counters at the sparkling rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets. He wanted to ask the lady behind the counter, "Do you sell silver or platinum handcuffs?" Hehe, what a laugh he would get out of the lady's expression.

His eyes settled on a simple silver bracelet with a circle dog-tag on it. He wanted something special engraved on it; something that his flower would wear, as a symbol that she belonged to him. He wanted a special Latin phrase engraved on it: Amor et melle et felle est fecundissmismus.

This meant "Love is Rich with Both Honey and Venom" in Latin. He would tell her something else, and she would never know this secret. It was not real love of course; merely a way to possess her. Love was wrong. So wrong. It killed (as he recalled from Romeo and Juliet). It tortured (Ethan Frome). It was ultimately devastating. He, the almightly Shigure, could not subject himself to such mental torment. He was the snake, she was his sweet elixir. She must know her place. She must know that she is merely a mortal, a slave to him. She will die someday, but at least Shigure knew that she would belong to him; forever. Fate brought them together, and Fate would keep them together forever, chained to each other. He decided that he wanted a chain with that engraving too.

Bound to each other.

Master and slave.

Predator and prey.

Lover and …

He smiled cynically (like an evil tyrant) when the woman behind the counter greeted him. "How may I help you this afternoon, sir?"

"Can I get an engraving on the dog tag of that bracelet?"

"Absolutely."

"Then I would like to get one please."

"Come this way to our engraving specialist. You can pick out the font and tell him the phrase or name that you would like on it."

Shigure nodded and followed the woman into the back room. After he paid and the date was set for when he was to pick up the bracelet, he left the store and wandered the streets for a good place for an afternoon snack before he went to pick Tohru up from school.

Tohru stared at the white board in her economics class. She thought of the day they spent at the zoo. It was absolutely relaxed and not full of tension. Hatori was definitely a good barrier.

Flashback

"WOW. Look at this map! Today is going to be so fun!" Tohru exclaimed.

"Let's go to the wolves' exhibit. I have been dying to see the Timber wolf from North America." Shigure said, pulling at Hatori's shirt.

Hatori and Tohru followed the over-excited author to the exhibit half a mile away. It was late morning, and there was no activity in the forest exhibit. Tohru's expression seemed a little downcast (as much so, since she was the ever-cheerful, optimistic girl). She had come all the way, by train, only to have her first exhibit empty. When Tohru wasn't happy, neither was Shigure. All that they could see were a few rocks and big branches. The grass was overgrown. The trunk of the trees were raw.

"Humpff… wait a moment guys. I have a way."

Shigure went to the back of the exhibit. Hatori looked to Tohru and shook his head. This was going to be interesting. Before they knew it, Shigure would be inside the exhibit howling away with his kin. Zoo – get ready to alarm security…

A moment later, Shigure appeared with a silly grin on his face, like he had just stolen a bag of candy. Hatori was imagining the worse, a loud, cacophonous buzzer going off… but instead a baby wolf came to the edge of the fence and stared at Tohru with big grey eyes.

"Awww. How did you do that Shigure? It is so cute!"

Shigure looked at Hatori and gave him a wink.

Hatori noticed that Shigure was acting very different. He seemed chipper that usual. When he looked at Tohru, he had a look of admiration. He got the wolf to come out, not for himself, but for Tohru. Odd.

Next, they went to see the peacocks. Tohru was sad that their feathers weren't fanned out, but Hatori explained to her that males did it to attract a mate. Tohru questioned no further. In fact she blushed. This made Shigure laugh out loud. She was so innocent sometimes.

He just wanted to corrupt her.

Teach her.

The forbidden knowledge.

For lunch they had ham and tomato sandwiches. Both men did not want any cheese, saying that it gave them gas, but Tohru graciously asked the woman in the sandwich shop for a ham and cheese sandwich.

They spent the afteroon going to the exhibits Shigure planned out for them – the penguins, the polar bears, the flamingos, the pigeons (Hatori was like: What the hell? You can see those in the streets, why do we have to pay to see them in the zoo?), the crocodiles (Tohru hid behind Shigure when it came up close to the glass, Shigure hid behind Hatori – the almighty who merely rolled his eyes), the foxes, the moose, the bunnies, the tropical fishes. Since the zoo was in the middle of the city, it was family-sized, and they finished two rounds around the zoo by six thirty.

The sky darkened as they traversed the city streets. Hatori walked behind Tohru and Shigure. Shigure had his arms around the poor girl. Hatori had wanted to say, 'Hey, loosen up Shigure!' but realized that he couldn't speak. He was eager to rid the curse. He was so sorry. He was prepared to mend the broken girl if Shigure harmed her in anyway.

He always picked up the pieces.

Like a common street sweeper.

They walked passed expensive storefronts, with tall, skinny manniquins in the well-lit window display. Shigure bought Tohru an ice cream. Hatori watched in horror as Shigure wiped her lips with a napkin. How very, very odd.

End Flashback

"Tohru, can I see you after class?"

"Hai."

She went to Mr. Otani's desk after class.

"Tohru, you have not been applying yourself to any of the assignments or quizzes. This is so unlike you. You always turn in the assignments on time. Is there anything going on outside of school that you would like to tell me about? The year is almost ending, and I wouldn't want to see you get a bad grade. You are really one of my most hardworking students."

Tohru looked down at her toes ashamedly. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry. Just work hard."

"Hai. I promise."

She finished the rest of the day without any more dreaming.

She knew better than to fall in love with him. He was heartless and careless and sly. But he could also be charming and humorous and passionate when he was with her. All the negativities faded, she only saw the bright light that radiated off the God – as he spoke animatedly, passionately, happily. That was all she wanted: him to be happy. She really wanted to ask him if he had the same feelings that she had for him, but it was out of her place. Sometimes she opened her mouth, but nothing came out. He would probably stare it her as if she had grown a set of antlers, and there would be an awkward silence – that tension she hated so much. His reply would be along the lines of, "What's for dinner?" Changing the subject was what Shigure did best. Tohru also didn't want to put him on the spot either. So on went the elaborate game of mind-boggling questions.

A shadow invaded her thoughts. Shigure had arrived to pick her up.

"Hello Tohru."

"Hello Shigure. Did you have a good day?"

"Hai, I did. And you?

"Hai," you said, rather inattentively.

"Would you like to go anywhere for dinner? Shopping? Ooo, the beach?" He asked her with a glint in his eye. He looked as eager as a puppy.

"Umm, I would love to, but I have a lot of homework to do." I'm falling behind. I am entranced by you – your intoxicating smell, your smile, your passion for life, your eyes…

And it's hurting me emotionally.

But I love you. I don't care. I will do whatever I need to care for you. I will be by your side.

Shigure turned into a supermarket parking lot.

"Can we buy some shrimp? I'm really in the mood for some."

"Sure."

Tohru pulled her helmet off and waited for Shigure. They walked into the supermarket and turned to the seafood department.

"Can I have two pounds of shrimp please."

"Sure miss."

Tohru smiled back at the gentleman her own age. She waited patiently, strumming her fingers delicately over the glass. While the guy weighed the shrimp, he winked at Tohru. Tohru barely noticed. The man didn't even acknowledge Shigure, with his arms crossed and a scowl on his usually calm face. Shigure stood behind her, looking at the back of her head like it was a newfound specimen before glaring at the boy with the fervor of a crazed psychopath. It was quite odd how his eyes grew misty as he looked at her and filled with dark hate when another man looked at her. No one noticed, though.

The young man behind the counter finished and asked, "Anything else, miss?"

"That's it," Shigure interjected loudly. Tohru didn't say anything to this possessiveness, as Shigure put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her away to the checkout line.

Tohru saw a determined look on Shigure's face.

Shigure responded to her. "That man was giving you looks. Did you notice that?"

"No."

"Kami." He pulled her into the frozen foods aisle and pressed her against the glass-door, with one arm leaning against the glass, preventing her escape. "Sometimes you don't get it. When I man winks at you he expects you to respond; he is being a lewd pig. You just don't notice. You are so innocent some-fucking-times that it makes be uneasy. Sometimes I wish I could be by your side to watch over you stupid, careless acts. You need to be more aware of your surroundings. You are too delicate to be hurt be someone – a stranger."

Somewhere in that anger was a compliment and an apology. Tohru gazed into his dark eyes. "I'm sorry. I didn't know, Shigure."

Hell you didn't know.

You don't know you make me hard when you touch my arm.

I am like a friggin' dog the way I need you to compliment me, love me, pet me.

"Just be careful." I don't want you to get hurt.

Please.

He removed his arms. He placed a kiss on her cheek.

Please.

They had been playing the game for three weeks, four days, and thirty-seven minutes.

A/N: I was planning on describing the zoo adventure with full details, but I decided, hey, all my stories progress too slowly… I need to get on with the action! I decided to just have a flashback. Do you guys agree? The title of this chapter, "Amor Fati" means "Fate of Love."

Forgot to mention:  Happy new year all!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 4.1K 28
The beautiful boy from her memories is now the monster before her. Can she heal the sickness of the Sohma family from the source? Can he heal her too...
139K 5.1K 60
"𝘈𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘧𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘦?" 𝘏𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴, 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘶𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘦�...
147K 3.3K 23
*IN EDITING* Deep in the Zodiac curse, a bind between a beloved deer and a jealous dragon lays under the surface. To the rest of the Sohma family, Na...
12.1K 179 17
(Fruits Basket Fanfiction)After Tohru tries to convince Akito to break the curse. She falls off a cliff and also loses all of her memories. This incl...