Shift | Complete ✔️

By TheSanguineSongbird

• Completed • • Highest Ranking • #6 Werewolf February 2022 • Awards • 1st Place Paranormal Category: Sple... More

1 | Liquid Courage
2 | Butterscotch Pudding
3 | Awkward Conversations
4 | In a Name
5 | Beyond the Veil
6 | Butterfly Wings
7 | The Guild
8 | Simple Truths
9 | Reverie
10 | Hit the Dust
11 | Undeniable Attractions
12 | The Wolf
13 | Stupid Little Kiss
14 | Drunken Desires
15 | Mark of a Mate
16 | To Be Enough
17 | Portraits of the Past
18 | Imposter Syndrome
19 | Aconitum Napellus
21 | Unfinished Business
22 | Submit
23 | The Temptress
24 | Hale Storm
25 | Crossing the Line
26 | Gone Underground
27 | Lying in Wait
28 | Echoes in the Night
29 | Run and Hyde
30 | Brush with Death
31 | In Crystal Vision
32 | Are you Ready?
33 | Prey for Mercy
34 | Into the Night

20 | Lost for Words

3.9K 250 28
By TheSanguineSongbird

I'd literally been spending every waking hour at the Pack House training under Harlow. Sessions were relentless. There were no shortcuts and there were no excuses. She expected nothing but the best from me. Which, to be clear, wasn't very much. But it was a start at least.

Being around other members of the pack was nothing short of intimidating. I'd try to go in under the radar early in the mornings, but there was always someone already there.

I tried to keep my head low, and aside from offering a shy wave to those passing by, I didn't go out of my way to initiate conversation.

It seemed that they too, were cautious of me. I'd seen the whispers from the utterly gorgeous females. Some would stare, others would be a little more discreet with their intrigue.

I wasn't sure if it was the fact I came in with Phelan every morning, or the fact I made an absolute fool out of my self every time I set foot on the gym mats with Harlow.

Probably both.

Either way, it made me feel self-conscious. I had never really put emphasis on whether I was attractive or not, but being around athletically gifted supermodel types didn't do much for my self-esteem.

I didn't understand what Phelan saw in me, and for the first time in my life, I was really struggling with feeling insecure.

I wasn't hard and chiselled like these women. I was softer. Curvier. And for a human, I looked much like every other regular girl, but for a werewolf, I looked like a... joke.

Maybe that was why everyone else was not allowed to train with me yet. It was like I still had training wheels on, while everyone else around me was turbo charged.

There was progress though. Instead of me being on the offense every session, I was beginning to learn some really good defence strategies. And although I was still full of doubt, Harlow was insistent that she wasn't going soft on me, at least not too soft.

She had said, that because I was a hybrid I was actually far stronger than an average human. But because prior to my time here, I'd never trained before, I simply hadn't realised what I was capable of.

I guess looking at things subjectively, although I was nothing remotely close to the level of a well trained werewolf, I was doing really well for a hybrid with zero experience.

I'd also found out that the pack had all originally been trained by Phelan. Apparently those that had developed to be lethal and highly skilled, branched off to mentor and train younger pack members. It was sort of like a type of school, where training was levelled based on aptitude and experience, and that you were grouped accordingly with others of similar ability before moving up once all relevant skills and concepts had been mastered.

However, I wasn't grouped with anyone. It was just Harlow and I. She'd said that it meant that training was intensive and targeted, and while I'd benefit from learning in a group environment, I would learn more from her without the exposure to others bad habits.

I knew that Harlow had been keeping Phelan up to date with my progress too. Sometimes I'd catch him watching as he observed the various training sessions.

He was always adding advice to others.

'Your weight isn't on your back leg.'

"You aren't protecting your head.'

'Keep your hands up.'

'Your faints aren't convincing. Too slow. Predictable."

But when it came to me, he was a silent observer. He would simply watch, nod, and walk away.

I was worried that it was because I was a lost cause, not because I'd been doing well. Under Phelan, Harlow was the best trainer in Haven. I didn't want to waste her time, and I didn't want to waste his either.

I found myself wanting to impress him.

His opinion of me mattered.

Haven didn't have the reputation of the most savage and efficient hunters and defenders in the Northwest for nothing.

I was determined to meet the standard expected of me.

Weeks of the same routine ensued. There was little time for romance when I was absolutely exhausted by the end of every day.

Some days I even fell asleep on the couch mid meal, before finding myself in bed when I woke the next morning.

But I was in for a shake up.

***

Instead of the usual observation, nod, smile and leave routine we'd established while I trained with Harlow, Phelan furrowed his brows after I'd landed a roundhouse kick to Harlow's jaw as he was walking past.

It seemed the moved surprised her too.

"Holy shit Edie, you fucking clocked me good."

I watched her wince as she cupped her jaw.

I however, was equal parts surprised and well... mortified. "I'm so so sorry Harlow, do you want some ice?"

Her eyes narrowed.

"I want you to stop being so fucking sweet and do it again. Harder this time."

She shoved my shoulder and bounced back off the net, ready to go another round as she bumped her fists with mine.

Fucking what....

I waited for Harlow to change her mind, and then turned to look at Phelan for some reassurance. Instead, he looked lost in thought before he walked off abruptly.

What's up his ass?!

"Fine, you asked for it..." I grumbled before I raised my hands to my face and pushed forward on the attack.

After the session was over, I packed my gym bag and I took off in search of Phelan who I'd found chatting to some younger adolescent males by the entryway.

I felt unsettled. I knew something was bothering him.

I wiped my forehead, the beads of sweat falling past my eyebrows before I tapped him on the shoulder. Spinning around, he turned to look at me.

"Hey, Phelan. Look, I'd like some feedback... I know I am not up to scr..."

I twiddled my fingers as I tried to make excuses.

"Nonsense. You're doing amazing. I've got some things on my mind, that's all. Let's get home... I'm sure you're tired."

I tried to sound hopeful. "Okay, sure..."

After driving for a few minutes, he began tapping the steering wheel before deciding to spit out what was on his mind. "It is about you actually. I think you're ready for a proper fight... tomorrow."

I shot him a look of incredulity as I choked on the water I was sipping.

"You are joking, right?"

I knew the answer before he said anything. I had gotten so used to his expressions, and the one where his lips pursed and his jaw ticked slightly told me he was adamant about his decision.

"Come onnnn Phelan! That's some bullshit!"

He kept ignoring me.

So I doubled down.

"Seriously. Phelan, come on. If you change your mind, I'll let you go to second base...?"

He erupted in laughter. Not exactly the reaction I was hoping for...

"And what is second base Edie?"

"Well, I haven't decided yet, but-"

"Edie, I've been living with you, my unmarked mate for months now, I've developed a will of iron. Nothing you can do will tempt me more than I've already had to handle."

He shook his head as he continued to chuckle. "But I do admire your creativity..."

Despite knowing it would get me nowhere, I pleaded anyway. "That's so not fair!"

He raised his eyebrow.

"Are you telling me that when you kicked Harlow's ass in there, it didn't feel good?"

I scoffed. "Please. You know she is going easy on me. For crying out loud, it's like she's come straight out of Tomb Raider. She pities me, that's all."

"That's not the case Edie."

Oh so I have no say in this apparently?

You know, going head to head with a werewolf?

Bartering was my next bet.

"Can I wear a helmet, shin and elbow pads? You know, so I don't fucking die?!"

I flailed my arms in front of me as I threw myself back into the passenger seat in a huff, shaking the seat as I did so.

"Stop being so dramatic little wolf. If you put that much effort into your fight, you might actually come out on top..."

"Easy for you to say. You're what? Two hundred and twenty pounds of muscle? I'm about one hundred and forty of bad food choices! I'm not ready!"

"You are. And you will be fighting. Now can we go home and just relax, if it's not too much to ask?"

"Fine. But just tell me, who has the pleasure of destroying me tomorrow?"

"Wyatt."

He was eyeing for my reaction cautiously.

"The guy that bought me a drink at Full Moon that night?!" I was flabbergasted.

"Yes. He is in reasonable condition for a male wolf. You are evenly matched."

"That's a fucking lie! This is personal!" I retaliated.

His enjoyment at my suffering was just firing me up further.

"That's a bonus. I will tell you what else isn't a lie...."

"Oh yeah, what's that smart ass?!"

I waited for his response. My breath hitching as he moved closer beside me before whispering in my ear.

"I will thoroughly enjoy watching you kick his ass. It's less than he deserves for knowingly flirting with his Alpha's mate."

His parting statement as we pulled into his driveway, a subtle kiss on the curve of my neck before heading inside.

For once I was lost for words.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 7.7K 41
• Completed • • Highest Ranking #2 Paranormal October 2020 • • Highest Ranking #4 Romance October 2020 • • Highest Ranking #1 Matebond April 2021...
3.8M 139K 56
Lauren is in trouble. BIG trouble. She found her mate - and he ISN'T her sweet, long-term, long-distance boyfriend. He's an Alpha. Can you blame a gi...
1M 43K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...
18K 758 10
Witches. Most were eradicated during The Big Cleansing years ago. Those alive now hide amongst the monsters of the world: vampires, werewolves, and t...