The Vampire & the Rebel (Comp...

NelleIvy द्वारा

Vienne is one of the oldest and most powerful vampires left in the world after the human suppression wars. S... अधिक

Note to Rushers
Part 1: Chapter 1
Part 1: Chapter 2
Part 1: Chapter 3
Part 1: Chapter 4
Part 1: Chapter 5
Part 1: Chapter 6
Part 1: Chapter 7
Part 1: Chapter 8
Part 1: Chapter 9
Part 1: Chapter 10
Part 1: Chapter 11
Part 1: Chapter 12
Part 1: Chapter 13
Part 1: Chapter 14
Part 1: Chapter 15
Part 1: Chapter 16
Part 1: Chapter 17
Part 1: Chapter 18
Part 1: Chapter 19
Part 1: Chapter 20
Part 1: Chapter 21
Part 1: Chapter 22
Part 1: Chapter 23
Part 1: Chapter 24
Part 1: Chapter 25
Part 1: Chapter 26
Part 1: Chapter 27
Part 1: Chapter 28
Part 1: Chapter 29
Part 1: Chapter 30
Part 1: Chapter 31
Part 1: Chapter 32
Part 1: Chapter 33
Part 1: Chapter 34
Part 1: Chapter 35
Part 1: Chapter 36
Part 2: Chapter 1
Part 2: Chapter 2
Part 2: Chapter 3
Part 2: Chapter 4
Part 2: Chapter 5
Part 2: Chapter 6
Part 2: Chapter 7
Part 2: Chapter 8
Part 2: Chapter 9
Part 2: Chapter 10
Part 2: Chapter 11
Part 2: Chapter 12
Part 2: Chapter 13
Part 2: Chapter 14
Part 2: Chapter 15
Part 2: Chapter 16
Part 2: Chapter 17
Part 2: Chapter 18
Part 2: Chapter 19
Part 2: Chapter 20
Part 2: Chapter 21
Part 2: Chapter 22
Part 2: Chapter 23
Part 2: Chapter 24
Part 2: Chapter 25
Part 2: Chapter 26
Part 2: Chapter 27
Part 2: Chapter 28
Part 2: Chapter 29
Part 2: Chapter 30
Part 3: Chapter 2
Part 3: Chapter 3
Part 3: Chapter 4
Part 3: Chapter 5
Part 3: Chapter 6
Part 3: Chapter 7
Part 3: Chapter 8
Part 3: Chapter 9
Part 3: Chapter 10
Part 3: Chapter 11
Part 3: Chapter 12
Part 3: Chapter 13
Part 3: Chapter 14
Part 3: Chapter 15
Part 3: Chapter 16
Part 3: Chapter 17
Part 3: Chapter 18
Part 3: Chapter 19
Part 3: Chapter 20
Part 3: Chapter 21
Part 3: Chapter 22
Part 3: Chapter 23
Part 3: Chapter 24
Part 3: Chapter 25
Part 3: Chapter 26
Part 3: Chapter 27
Part 3: Chapter 28
Part 3: Chapter 29
Part 3: Chapter 30
Part 3: Chapter 31
Epilogue

Part 3: Chapter 1

169 20 41
NelleIvy द्वारा

I woke in a dim, unfamiliar room and it took me only a fraction of a second to remember where I was and how I had gotten there. Everything rushed back into my mind all at once, memories of sweet sensations, all too quickly past.

My head could hardly wrap around the idea that I had actually been with her, and I already knew I intended to again. I could only hope that she would agree with my plans and if not, I could probably convince her.

It wasn't really surprising she was already gone, even if it was a bit unnerving. I had held her and fallen asleep, late as it had been. We slept opposite schedules, so if this was to be repeated indefinitely, we would never have anything like a normal relationship that humans did together.

Everyone I knew outside of New Haven and Vienne's control would be horrified that I had slept with a bloodsucker, if they would even believe that it was possible I could desire such a thing. Hell, I would have laughed in disbelief if someone had told me what I would do not too long ago.

But, I regretted nothing. She had seemed satisfied, and I was feeling great, so I put the whole matter of what was right or wrong from my mind.

Flashes of memory still continued to replay themselves while I threw on my clothing and tidied up the room, smoothing the blankets as if we had never even been there. I didn't care if anyone around here discovered what we had done, but there was no reason to shout it out either. Carter had gotten more than an eyeful, so unless he kept his mouth shut, rumours would likely circulate before too long.

A smile twitched at my lips as I left the room and made my way to my new temporary lodgings. I had a room to myself since someone new had already been assigned to my old room with Theo, but it was in the same wing. I nodded to a couple of people I recognized on my way to the showers.

Letting the water run over me, my mind wandered back to remembered images of Vienne and I could feel my physical interest in her renew. I had the most ridiculous urge to go and find her again right away and get her somewhere alone.

I stopped myself. There was that morning assembly planned and spending time alone with Vienne, while more than enjoyable, could not take precedence over dealing with all the problems my error in not properly destroying Dana had caused. Guilt swirled and I pushed it away.

I got out of the shower and got ready for the day. In the familiar dining hall where Vienne's guards ate, I took my place unremarked amongst them. Carter was nowhere to be seen, and I was not going to complain about that. While I had already decided I did not care about what the others thought, I also was not really interested in dealing with people's assumptions if the younger guard started blushing and avoiding me.

A wiry young man I did not know was sitting next to Theo and I assumed that Vienne had bought more new humans while I was gone. He looked alert and curious, and I wondered what he thought about Vienne after her flamboyant leech killing the previous day. While I had seen such sights before, never had I had the luxury of watching three vicious bloodsuckers reduced to harmless ash in such a relaxed fashion. Normally I got the job done as fast as possible and then fled for my life.

Still, there was something utterly satisfying in the way she had tormented the torturers of countless humans. She had been beautiful, like a dark avenging angel.

I shook my head and wondered what was wrong with me, besides the obvious. I had never been so prone to daydreaming, even as a child. A lack of focus was exactly the thing that could get me killed in the future. I forced my focus back onto the tangible room around me and dismissed any lingering memories.

I grabbed food from the buffet and took a seat in the most isolated spot I could find so I would not be easily drawn into conversation. While I methodically put food into my mouth, my mind continually returned to Vienne and spun new possibilities of what could happen in the future, like one time with her had opened the floodgates.

My imaginings were broken by a particularly loud laugh from Marcel, and I began to reconsider my relaxed attitude about the others knowing. Would his obnoxious overprotectiveness spread as far as me sleeping with Vienne? I would not be surprised. It was too easy to imagine Marcel braying like an angry dog because I had compromised her honour or something, but I could always beat him in another fight if he got too irritating.

At least I wouldn't have to listen to him so often when I returned to New Haven.

The downside that I wouldn't see her either hit me and I found that I did not entirely want to go. Marcel could be ignored, if only circumstances allowed. I wanted her near at hand and there might have been more reason than the most obvious.

But there was more I could do for the cause there than here, so I would go where I could be useful.

It was nearly dawn as I wandered outside where the assembly was going to be held. A lot of people were already standing around, illuminated mostly by lit torches as the sky was still dark except for the growing glow in the east. They were mostly talking in small groups, some about the meeting and others about the sight of the end of three vampires the previous day.

The torches lit the faces well enough to illuminate expressions of everything from unease to enthusiasm, all feelings I knew well from my past kills. Their reactions most reminded me of that first accidental time that I had killed one of the bloodsuckers, my original disbelief that I had actually managed to do it changing to trembling relief, the excitement of accomplishment. I could never forget the rush of seeing with my own eyes the monsters were not invincible, or the nervousness of wondering what might happen next after I had managed—after I had dared—such an impossible feat.

I did not try to join any of the groups, my mind wandering, my eyes unconsciously scanning for the first sight of her, but I only saw more humans gathering and waiting. A lot of the crowd I either did not recognize or only knew in passing from my time here, but many of her guards and people from the meetings the previous night had also assembled to listen.

"Jamie."

I turned to see Belle walking towards me with a sunny smile. She had been friendly to me since I had met her. While she seemed competent enough at her job, I suspected Connor also kept her around as a ray of optimism through the day to day workings of building and planning the impossible. I greeted her in return.

"Connor wants you to come over and stand with us," she told me with another smile.

"Sure." I did not really have an objection, so I walked along with her. It was getting difficult to move through the gathering crowd, but she walked with the determined enthusiasm I had become accustomed to and easily slipped through while I followed in her wake.

"Looking forward to the assembly?" she asked as we walked.

"Yeah, maybe." I was a bit curious about what Vienne had planned, but I was more interested in seeing her again, even if it were while she strutted around loving her place as the centre of attention. I could not even feel annoyed by her grandstanding. It was who she was and I certainly wasn't going to be able to change her.

And I found that I really didn't mind that much, either. My hatred of her, while still remembered, was just a memory.

We reached Conner, who was standing and talking with other leaders, off to the side of where Vienne would presumably speak. He introduced me to a few I had not met yet, although I had seen them all at the meeting, and I received my expected mix of suspicion and admiration after the introductions. I didn't have to endure it for long, because Vienne came out, and all attention turned to her like a wave through the crowd.

My attention rushed to her as well and it was like all the other people around me disappeared.

Instead of the full covering I had seen her in whenever she had flirted with the sun in the past, this dawn she simply wore one of her usual dresses, loose, but not so relaxed that it entirely hid her form. She smiled at the crowd of humans as she walked forward towards the centre of the grouping, and towards me, since I was standing at the opposite side of the rough circle.

She met my eyes as she looked around and she stopped for a moment, her lips turning up higher in a smirk that reminded me of secrets I alone knew.

Her eyes continued on, as if the moment with me had never been, but a part of me was relieved at the silent confirmation she had not bored with me yet.

She reached the centre, but it was Leif who spoke, surprising me because I had not noticed either him or Raoul walking with her.

"We've called this assembly today so that Vienne—" his voice caught on her name, and I realized it was the first time I had heard him call her so simply, "Can give you an explanation of what occurred here yesterday. I'm sure you have many questions, and I'll remain behind afterwards to answer any further questions or concerns you have at the end, so please save them until then."

His last statement was entirely unnecessary, because it was unlikely any of Vienne's regular humans would dare interrupt her, even if they were more comfortable with her than other vampires.

She started talking, and the group was absolutely silent. "So, humans, I suspect some of you are rather confused about why yesterday I introduced three members of the vampiric council to my old long-lost friend, the sun." She grinned wide enough her fangs were prominently displayed in the growing light.

"I suppose I should admit I have not been entirely forthcoming with you all. It was a mere unavoidable strategic good, but it's unfortunate recent events have caused so much confusion and nervousness. I'm not exactly as I appear, and some of you know that, and some of you have figured it out on some level over the years, but there's more to it than even you know.

"I've been working from inside the vampire council towards bringing it down for many years, along with certain chosen trusted humans who have assisted me in my endeavors. Up until now, I have managed to keep myself above suspicion, but unfortunately, three of my fellow councillors came around asking questions of my activities, and would surely have brought the council down on me. I had no choice but to destroy the threat and I will try to smooth over the coming difficulties, but it is possible that I have at last overplayed my hand.

"This is the location the council is surely going to focus on if they decide to move against me. So for now, under Leif's direction as always, there will be some changes in the near future. Some of you that we can manage without will be sent away to safer locations until we know the danger has passed. If you wish to stay in spite of the danger or wish to flee to one of the factories, inform Leif and your preference will be taken into account."

The first rays from the sun broke over her walls and she did not even flinch.

"I understand that most of you have lived here peacefully these past years, under the understanding that you gained security and maintenance of your physical needs in exchange for labour and blood, but unfortunately the deal may change slightly as we deal with new challenges ahead, but I wish you to know that I have full confidence that you'll meet the coming challenges admirably, since I always choose the best humans, and I have chosen all of you."

She smirked again. "As Leif said, he'll answer any of your other questions if you have any. Otherwise, you're dismissed.

She turned and glided away. There was a movement of some people heading towards Leif and a clamour of voices, and another movement of people leaving the crowd. I followed the latter group, since I already knew more than enough of the overarching plans, and I wanted to catch up to her although I did not stop to question why.

She was already well inside by the time I spotted her and she turned around, apparently aware I was there and waited for me.

"Good morning, Jamie. How did you sleep last night?" she asked with a little smile and curiously raised eyebrows.

"Surprisingly well."

"Oh, well, that's nice. Did you need something?" Her face was a mask of innocence.

I could think of a few things, but nothing I was willing to say, especially with other humans streaming past us through the halls, occasionally greeting Vienne amiably. "Didn't you say you had a task for me?" I asked, since I was fairly certain she was teasing me again.

"Oh, is that all? Yes, of course I do have something for you to do for me. Come along now, Jamie." Her voice was low and teasing, and my mind went in a direction I doubt she meant but she probably intended. I did not give her the satisfaction of asking for clarification.

I walked with her down a corridor I had seldom used while I was staying here, and through a guarded door that led down a flight of stairs. There seemed to be no one else around and I was increasingly curious where we were going and I glanced at her face only to discover she was as amused by messing with me as ever.

Done with her game, I stopped abruptly. She stopped and her smile did not falter. "What's the matter?"

"You're playing with me again."

"I never really stop," she said, moving forward and getting into my space and scattering my thoughts. Then she abruptly stepped back. "Drat, I suppose I did promise to try not to. It's rather difficult to remember when doing it is so fun, though. If only there was something you could do to distract me from attempting to aggravate you..."

Distracting her sounded like a great idea, but it also seemed like I would be rewarding her, and that I was not going to do. "But I thought there was something you needed from me, unless all you wanted was a distraction?"

"I always just want a distraction. But..." She made a show of sighing. "Unfortunately, you're right. You can distract me later, but for now I need to give you a tour of my dungeon."

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

5.9K 326 27
What is the destiny of a she-wolf on the run to the human land? . . . At a young age, Alexia lost her parents. With her current status and rumours su...
33.8K 1.2K 72
Something's going on with Rose. She's never been what anyone deems 'normal', especially after she became shadow kissed, but this is something else. T...
10.7K 309 31
It's the year 2034 Vampires rule the world. They bought off humans as slaves and if they didn't complete a task properly or at all, consequences will...
456K 13.6K 41
RATED MATURE | Completed ✔ Held captive at the hands of vampires to be auctioned off to the vampire clan called the PureBloods. I'm held hostage, tor...