Shift | Complete ✔️

By TheSanguineSongbird

• Completed • • Highest Ranking • #6 Werewolf February 2022 • Awards • 1st Place Paranormal Category: Sple... More

1 | Liquid Courage
2 | Butterscotch Pudding
3 | Awkward Conversations
4 | In a Name
5 | Beyond the Veil
6 | Butterfly Wings
7 | The Guild
8 | Simple Truths
9 | Reverie
10 | Hit the Dust
11 | Undeniable Attractions
12 | The Wolf
13 | Stupid Little Kiss
14 | Drunken Desires
15 | Mark of a Mate
16 | To Be Enough
17 | Portraits of the Past
19 | Aconitum Napellus
20 | Lost for Words
21 | Unfinished Business
22 | Submit
23 | The Temptress
24 | Hale Storm
25 | Crossing the Line
26 | Gone Underground
27 | Lying in Wait
28 | Echoes in the Night
29 | Run and Hyde
30 | Brush with Death
31 | In Crystal Vision
32 | Are you Ready?
33 | Prey for Mercy
34 | Into the Night

18 | Imposter Syndrome

4.3K 237 18
By TheSanguineSongbird

"Well, I guess that was positive news."

I placed the portrait of my mother on the buffet cabinet in the entryway. It felt a little odd putting something so personal in Phelan's house. I didn't want to run upstairs to my room to do it when I felt that we had shared such a personal and profound experience with Magdalene.

I didn't want it to appear as if I was running away from what we were told. Instead, I followed Phelan to the kitchen.

"Do you have to go to the pack house and do anything before the end of the day?"

His smile was reassuring, as if he knew that what I really wanted to say was, I don't want you to leave. 

"No. I've been in touch with Gunner. Everything is fine," he said as he tapped his forehead with his index finger.

"Oh, of course, the mind linking thing. I'm still getting the hang of your superpowers." I quipped.

I trailed my fingers across the mahogany table before following him as he gestured to the kitchen. "I don't need mind linking to hear your stomach rumbling though... what do you feel like?"

What I wanted to say was, watching you take your shirt off... but momentarily thankful for my hybrid status, those thoughts were mine alone as I stated "whatever you're offering" instead.

Ambiguity was part of my charm after all. 

Helping Phelan prepare a late lunch, I enjoyed the chance to just do something normal together. My time here so far had been one ongoing saga after another, and if I wanted to explore what could possibly be between us, I had to spend time with him to make it grow.

For me, I couldn't simply fall in love. I wasn't a wolf. I was more human than not, and while I wished that it were easier, it simply wasn't the case.

I couldn't deny that he had me at his mercy. I had never been so attracted to anyone in my life, and I felt at constant war with the signals my body was sending. But... there was still an element of caution. Caution because, I had been burned once before. And also, because I was still grappling with human culture; murdering is bad. Violence is bad. The end never justifies the means. I had to try and undo the conditioning I had been brought up with. 

This was an entirely different world. A world ruled by tooth and claw. The survival of the fittest. A hierarchy where the strongest dominated, and where there was always someone else or something else, lying in wait to pounce and take control.

Excitement and tension reigned because there was always something to battle, and something to learn. But what I realised was that without Phelan, there was always going to be something to fear.

I knew I was weak without him. I knew that others perceived me as some kind of wannabe. I couldn't butter a piece of toast without tearing the bread let alone defend myself. I was still holding onto those feelings of being an imposter.

How on Earth could I be a Luna? A leader

Phelan pulled me from my thoughts. "You need to start training with the others in the pack."

I laughed hysterically. "Are you insane? You do realise the only thing I have ever beaten are scrambled eggs, right?"

He placed his fork down on his plate, before looking me square in the eye. "I'm deadly serious. The pack needs to get to know you, and you need to learn to defend yourself."

"Defend myself? Against a pack of werewolves? Gee, what could possibly go wrong?"

"You're not made of porcelain, Edie. You need to get used to it."

I glared at him before rolling my eyes.

"Fine."

The man irked me. I didn't know what he was thinking. And it was clear that when I arrived at the Pack House the next morning for my first session, neither did anyone else.

***

"Harlow. Honoured to meet you."

I watched as the chiselled woman stood before me. Her long black hair was pulled taut in a plait, exposing the undercut that was shaved underneath.

My eyes trailed to her shoulders, exposed in her white crop top and then her legs, which quite possibly were made of steel, I couldn't be sure; which were sculpted perfectly within black tights.

"Cool name... I'm Edie," was my reply, as I extended my hand out to meet hers.

"Thanks, it means Army."

"Of course it does..."

Imma get myself killed, I thought.

I followed in Harlow's shadow as she led me to the Arena. It was inside the Pack House, and it was essentially like a massive gym; but instead of gym bros on steroids like back home, it was filled with ya know, real life shape shifting killing machines who looked like they were carved from steel.

We good here.

I watched from the sidelines as pairs grappled on the rubber floor under the instruction of their trainer. I saw some working battle ropes, others flipping tyres, and groups of men and women cheering each other on by the bench press.

It was clearly more of a functional training space. There was no pop music. No glammed up cardio bunnies. And certainly no men leering at the women suggestively.

Just a truck load of sweat, snarls and savagery.

The intent was clear, you were here to work, and you were here to work hard.

I gulped.

Just as I began to process what I was in for, I scanned to a group of women who were chatting between stretches; seemingly cooling down.

I pointed to them. "I'll have what they're having thanks..."

Of course, my new best friend Harlow had other ideas.

"Absolutely not. It's free choice for them today, but you're stuck with me," she chuckled as she gestured to the boxing ring.

Putting my hands out as she asked, she began wrapping them with long fabric. "I hope Phelan has told you to go easy on me. I'm serious, this is going to be more of a stand up comedy than a training session..."

Her hair flipped off her shoulder as she tossed her head back in laughter. "The Alpha has given me the run down. Trust me, we all had to start somewhere."

"Even you? You look like Lara Croft for God's sake!"

She licked her lips before offering a pensive smile, "Even me..."

Hours had passed by, and within that time I'd learned some new things. I learned some basic upper combinations, how to kick safely with my feet pointed down, and how to block some predictable attacks. I'd also learned that I had muscles that I never knew I had.

Surprisingly, I felt a sense of achievement at being so mediocre at something.

We all have to start somewhere.

"You did well, you'll have delayed onset muscle soreness for the next 48 hours. Have an ice bath if you can and make sure the bulk of your meals are protein based to help repair the muscle fibres."

"Thanks Harlow... I hope that wasn't too boring for you."

I watched as she took off her hand pads. "Not at all, you'll be..."

I squealed as a towel whipped across my arm.

"Gunner! Far out!" I shot him a look of displeasure as he appeared out of thin air. I'd seen him training a group of men earlier but assumed he'd left for the day.

"How'd she go Har?" he queried as he tossed his towel over his shoulder.

"I was actually about to say that she did well, won't be long until she gives you a run for your money," she said as she winked at me.

"Thanks for the encouragement guys, love your sense of humour."

"Come on Edie, it's pizza and movie night at ours. Phelan has told me to reassure you that he's added lots of pineapple on the topping just for you."

I groaned with disgust. "Seriously?!"

I watched as both Harlow and Gunner chuckled, before I rolled my eyes playfully at them both.

"Thanks again for today Harlow. Can't wait to kick your butt again next time."

Waving her goodbye, I had a shower there before changing and collecting my things. Gunner was waiting by his pick up truck out the front before we shared some light conversation as he drove back to their place.

The day had went smoothly, and I was looking forward to a relaxing night with friends. I sighed to myself with content as I looked out the car window, greenery blurring against the orange sunset.

I was finally being to feel like maybe, just maybe, I might actually belong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.6K 687 26
***COMPLETED*** At 32 years old Alpha Alex is starting to lose hope of ever finding his mate. But just as he starts to believe the moon goddess has...
2.1M 55.1K 39
BOOK 1 He hovered over me in silence while I gathered my senses. "Why are you here Deacon?" I finally asked. I heard his gruff sigh before he knelt d...
77.8K 4K 69
[BOOK #2 OF THE AWARD-WINNING EPSILON SERIES!] ❝I hate him. He's crude. Arrogant. Vile. I hate him so much that sometimes, when I look at him, I can...
146K 6.3K 58
Book 1 of The Secrets of Spiritwood - Complete Carter Jones had spent her entire life in Spiritwood, until the day her father finds himself in hot wa...