The Vampire & the Rebel (Comp...

By NelleIvy

Vienne is one of the oldest and most powerful vampires left in the world after the human suppression wars. S... More

Note to Rushers
Part 1: Chapter 1
Part 1: Chapter 2
Part 1: Chapter 3
Part 1: Chapter 4
Part 1: Chapter 5
Part 1: Chapter 6
Part 1: Chapter 7
Part 1: Chapter 8
Part 1: Chapter 9
Part 1: Chapter 10
Part 1: Chapter 11
Part 1: Chapter 12
Part 1: Chapter 13
Part 1: Chapter 14
Part 1: Chapter 15
Part 1: Chapter 16
Part 1: Chapter 17
Part 1: Chapter 18
Part 1: Chapter 19
Part 1: Chapter 20
Part 1: Chapter 21
Part 1: Chapter 22
Part 1: Chapter 23
Part 1: Chapter 24
Part 1: Chapter 25
Part 1: Chapter 26
Part 1: Chapter 27
Part 1: Chapter 28
Part 1: Chapter 29
Part 1: Chapter 30
Part 1: Chapter 31
Part 1: Chapter 32
Part 1: Chapter 33
Part 1: Chapter 34
Part 1: Chapter 35
Part 1: Chapter 36
Part 2: Chapter 1
Part 2: Chapter 2
Part 2: Chapter 3
Part 2: Chapter 4
Part 2: Chapter 5
Part 2: Chapter 6
Part 2: Chapter 7
Part 2: Chapter 8
Part 2: Chapter 9
Part 2: Chapter 10
Part 2: Chapter 11
Part 2: Chapter 12
Part 2: Chapter 13
Part 2: Chapter 14
Part 2: Chapter 15
Part 2: Chapter 16
Part 2: Chapter 17
Part 2: Chapter 18
Part 2: Chapter 19
Part 2: Chapter 20
Part 2: Chapter 21
Part 2: Chapter 22
Part 2: Chapter 23
Part 2: Chapter 25
Part 2: Chapter 26
Part 2: Chapter 27
Part 2: Chapter 28
Part 2: Chapter 29
Part 2: Chapter 30
Part 3: Chapter 1
Part 3: Chapter 2
Part 3: Chapter 3
Part 3: Chapter 4
Part 3: Chapter 5
Part 3: Chapter 6
Part 3: Chapter 7
Part 3: Chapter 8
Part 3: Chapter 9
Part 3: Chapter 10
Part 3: Chapter 11
Part 3: Chapter 12
Part 3: Chapter 13
Part 3: Chapter 14
Part 3: Chapter 15
Part 3: Chapter 16
Part 3: Chapter 17
Part 3: Chapter 18
Part 3: Chapter 19
Part 3: Chapter 20
Part 3: Chapter 21
Part 3: Chapter 22
Part 3: Chapter 23
Part 3: Chapter 24
Part 3: Chapter 25
Part 3: Chapter 26
Part 3: Chapter 27
Part 3: Chapter 28
Part 3: Chapter 29
Part 3: Chapter 30
Part 3: Chapter 31
Epilogue

Part 2: Chapter 24

163 21 85
By NelleIvy

It had been many nights since I had taken Jamie to New Haven and left him there as a testament to my excellent self-control. To further demonstrate my mastery over myself, I had then proceeded not to go back immediately to see him, in spite of what I desperately wanted.

Stepping back, my level of interest in him was frankly ridiculous. To think that any particular human could have such an effect on me, and I could only swear that it was getting worse with exposure. Waiting for him to get to the point I wanted was pure torture.

I scowled to myself. If I ever encountered a human who had such a great effect on me after Jamie I would have to stay far away from him.

But knowing me, I would not.

It was rather vexing.

Every time I chanced to talk to Leif and most especially when our conversation moved in the direction of New Haven, I could not help but hang on his every word for hope that the particular human might be mentioned, which he rarely was. All I had gleaned was that he was apparently settling in well. Which was good, but far from satisfying.

Still, I was certainly not going to ask for information. I could no longer delude myself that my humans had not seen right through me, but that did not mean I needed to add more fuel to that particular fire.

What I needed was a legitimate reason to return and see him again, something that would not get me additional knowing smirks from my favourite humans. Who knew smirks could be so irritating?

"Take your shot, Javier," I said, watching the human indecisively look at the table before him.

He glanced at me. "Are you trying to make me lose, Mistress?"

I didn't need to go out of my way to make him miss a shot, because judging from the layout of the table and the fact I had already sunk four more balls than him, he was going to lose whether I interfered or not. "Of course not, would that be sporting?"

"Well..."

I rolled my eyes at the human male and watched as he finally took the shot. Javier was not particularly talkative and could be brisk and to the point, but with him it was an easy silence and his words often had merit. He had been guarding my chambers this evening when I had repurposed him for playing this game with me instead.

He sank two balls and then I pushed down my blindfold over my eyes and took my own shot. I almost cleared the table, but missed on the final one. "Drat."

Javier proceeded to sink all his balls and actually beat me. I did not really mind. I liked the element of chance. I smiled at him, since he clearly deserved it.

"Rack 'em up, and we'll have another game," I suggested. He did as I said.

"Any new plans for the next council?"

"No, not particularly," I said. I had been far too active there lately as it was. I would back off and give my opponents time to let down their guards again. "Why, do you have an idea?"

"No, just wondering," he said as I broke, sending the balls careening all over the table and three into the pockets.

"Oh? Why?"

"The capital's been a lot more interesting lately."

I laughed at that. "Indeed it has been. Although, I should think you'd had enough excitement lately." I called high ball and took another blind shot and missed, which proved I was shockingly off my game.

"I live for it."

I chuckled. "And don't you have enough excitement here? With that little blond? How's she settling in?"

"Lain's doing fine. She and I both appreciate that you haven't forced the brand, yet."

I shrugged. "She's already got Davidson's, so the council shouldn't get too worked up if they somehow catch on. I don't plan to take her anywhere, either, so it's all a null issue."

"She seems happy enough, although you still terrify her. She spent too many years listening to him rant about you."

I could not help but grin at the confirmation of Davidson's Vienne related stress. It was too funny.

"Is there any way we could tell her the truth, Mistress? I know it would ease her mind."

I sighed. It really would be so much easier. "Unfortunately, as long as there's a chance that she could go back to Davidson, I can't risk her knowing any of my plans." I had already compelled her not to notice anything suspicious, but I did not want to have to put further weight on her mind if possible for Javier's sake.

He was not surprised; he had already known my answer. He took another shot, and then another. "I do understand. I was just hoping."

"I wish the world was different, Javier."

He nodded, just as pounding steps sounded in the corridor outside and the door of my games room opened to reveal Theo. I did not need his words to know that something had happened, his heart was beating more quickly than normal and his expression was tense.

"What is it?" I asked to prompt him.

"Visitors, Mistress."

I groaned. Obviously unfriendly vampiric ones, based on his reaction. "Do we know who?"

"Magnus," he said.

I clamped my teeth together. Magnus, and as likely as not his two sidekicks as well. Of course, it would be too much to hope it could be someone entertaining or useful. It had been so much nicer when Jamie had returned to me, or when Davidson had come practically begging to be tormented, or even when Drak had come to nag me about my branding bill.

What did those wretched inconveniences want this time? I dearly wanted to meet them and send them away before they reached my home, but appearances must be maintained. They knew as well as I that we were adversaries, but if I barred them they might suspect I was hiding something. The inconvenience of the situation was nearly more than I could bear.

Were they trying to cause me more trouble, considering how our last deal had set us so clearly at odds?

I collected myself. No doubt they imagined that they had a good reason for disturbing me. "Very well. I'll meet them at the gate, Theo."

I frowned and prepared myself to meet my newest unwanted guests.

* * * * *

With only a few minutes of reprieve, I watched as Magnus's human female drove their vehicle through my gate. Flanked by Marcel, Theo and Javier who had both taken on poses of subservient watchfulness, and under the watchful eyes of the guards on the wall, I pasted a welcoming smile on my face as she parked. My uninvited guest and his sidekicks stepped out, followed by their wretched miserable slaves.

"Good evening," I said to them as they walked towards me, their stringy humans shuffling behind.

Magnus smiled charmingly, "A very good evening to yourself, Councillor Vienne." Over his shoulder Willow was visibly pouting, as likely as not still put out by our last altercation in the council. She was a pouter. Katter looked as indifferent as ever.

With only one sentence and it became apparent how exceedingly difficult this encounter was going to be for me to endure. "And to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?" I asked, forcing sweet sincerity into my words against all my inclinations.

"Considering everything that has occurred between us of late, we rather thought it would be in all of our interests to mend fences between us."

What a dreadful thought, but if I asked Leif for his council, he would certainly suggest that I play along with the chore, even if Magnus's words lacked sincerity. He was here for a reason, but it was not mending fences. "Indeed, that sounds like a worthy idea, my dear councillors. Won't you come inside?"

"Thank you, Councillor Vienne."

I smiled to them all and found Willow's half-hearted response to be most amusing. Well, perhaps I might glean a small amount of entertainment while I dealt with them, if nothing else.

I led them into my home in spite of my better judgement and into my sitting room. I took my favourite chair and watched as the other three sat gingerly in chairs opposite me. There was nothing to be done about their presence, so I supposed I might as well at least enjoy messing with them.

"Coffee?" I offered.

"Please," Willow agreed.

"Javier, go and fetch us some coffee."

"Yes, Mistress." He hurried away. Willow watched him leave hungrily, and I hid my frown. Had she not even a modicum of self-restraint? I considered whether I could send them away well before the dawn, but that was likely too hopeful.

I turned my attention to my guests. "So, how go your affairs?"

"Quite well. I've just acquired a couple new promising feeders. They're at home, of course, locked in the dungeon and I'll have to get to them when we return," Magnus agreed, "And how is everything on your end?"

"Everything is going quite well around here. I, too, have several humans locked up as we speak. I'm savouring their torment, dealing with them slowly, one at a time."

The three laughed along with me, like the fools that they were, before Magnus launched into a long discourse on the treatment he had given and intended to give to his newest feeders. It was rather distasteful, both because of his unnecessary cruelty and his garish enthusiasm, but I maintained my polite facade throughout, inserting appropriate comments at the correct pauses.

Javier returned with one of my kitchen humans, and they deposited a tray of coffee and some treats in front of me. I offered each a cup and they took it.

There was a creamer of blood and I held it out invitingly, although it annoyed me to be sharing any part of my humans with these other repugnant vampires. "Blood?"

"Sorry, we only drink straight from the vein."

I nodded my understanding with a kind smile on my lips. Their paranoia was understandable. They did not trust me, and they did not suspect even the half of it. I poured a generous serving into my cup and swirled it around before taking a long, indulgent sip of it.

Willow seemed to also have warmed up as she drank her incredibly boring coffee. "I was wondering if you heard the news, Councillor Vienne?"

I cocked my eyebrow. "What news? I haven't had contact with anyone since the last quarterly."

Her eyes widened with a silly facade of shock, as if she did not well know that I generally kept to myself during the lull between quarterlies.

"The vampire slayer struck again," she said. Her pleasure at being the messenger was obvious from her smile to those eyes that remained fixed waiting for my reaction.

"What? No," I said, infusing my tone with just enough shock they would hopefully notice. It would come across as false if I went over the top. "What happened?"

Magnus shook his head regretfully. "Two of Ivan's fledglings were staked while he was away at the last quarterly. Jack and Dana, I'm not sure if you knew them."

"I'm afraid I did not. Still, that's terrible. I just feel awful for poor Ivan."

"As do we all."

I paused and let the sober silence I did not feel fill the room. Their obvious distress did not make me feel sympathy for them, but rather impatience at their pretence of frailty. I did not believe for a second any of them were truly upset about the death of some faceless fledglings. If they had any concerns, it was fear that the oh-so-terrifying vampire slayer would come for them, too. Pathetic.

Even before I had known who he was, the rumours had caused me no anxiety. As I had once told Jamie, fear of death was the weakness of other vampires, not my own.

"Terrible world where we can't even properly deal with one murderous feral," I complained.

"Indeed," Magnus agreed, "But this time we have a witness."

Well, that was far from ideal. I kept my unease inward. "Oh? That is excellent news. Do tell."

Willow smiled. "It was most fortunate that Dana survived the staking, because she got a good look at the human."

I had the sense that we were coming to the point of this little unwanted visit rather quickly and also that I was not going to like it. Apparently they were not angling for an overday stay this time. I kept my back straight and my head tilted in the perfect position of interest as she continued.

"Apparently the human was quite robust. Sandy hair, dark brown eyes, she estimated about six foot three. Wild looking, but handsome besides."

Magnus took up where she left off. "And that description got me thinking that I know of a vampire who has slaves who rather fit that description perfectly."

I pushed aside my little jolt of panic and I smiled as if the whole matter was incredibly amusing. In a way, it was, because these three fools had gotten closer to the truth than anyone else after all these years. I chuckled as if the idea was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. Between my bouts of mirth, I asked, "Are you truly suggesting that one of my slaves is the vampire slayer?"

They joined my laughter, although theirs seemed a good deal more nervous than my own. What had they expected, that I would confess and throw myself prostrate on the floor and beg for their forgiveness? The thought brought on another peal of laughter at their idiotic hubris.

"I'm sorry," I said as I finally brought myself back under control. "It's just so absurd." I shook my head and looked at them as if I thought the whole idea could be nothing but a complete joke. "Which of my slaves do you imagine is the infamous vampire slayer?"

"That new one you bought," Magnus said, although he looked far less certain than he had before.

"I've bought almost a dozen lately."

"The 'easy break'. Fifty-six thousand, eight hundred and seventeen."

That was very specific. Obviously they had been nosing around the human purchase records. Was Magnus attempting to demonstrate how much he knew, or had it been an inadvertent slip? "Oh, yes, I recall. I grew bored with that one quite some time ago."

"Excellent. Then you won't mind handing the human over to us so we can take him to Ivan for justice."

Well, that was not going to happen. I recalled telling Leif to ensure Jamie's death records were filled out, but had they been taken to the capital already? Inconveniently, I could not remember. Presumably they had not, if these three were under the impression that I could produce him, but were they testing me?

My best bet was to act as I always did. Never apologize; never back down unless it suited my amusement."I'm afraid I'm not interested in handing over any of my slaves to you. I don't know how you imagine that any of my slaves could possibly have harmed Ivan's fledglings. Do you imagine that I simply allow them to run around staking vampires?" I shot them a look so contemptuous that they surely should have withered where they sat from the heat.

Both Magnus and especially Willow looked deeply uncomfortable. "Of course not," Magnus lied.

"Oh, then you're accusing me of being so careless that one of my slaves escaped and went running around the wilds?" I frowned and looked indignant, as if I had been mightily insulted.

Willow's voice was higher than normal. "No, of course n—"

"Then what did you hope to gain by coming here?" I asked coldly.

Katter spoke, surprising me because he usually did not bother adding to conversations. "We wished merely to prove or disprove our suspicions before moving forward."

"I see. Well, then to satisfy your curiosity, I'll have fifty-six thousand, eight hundred and seventeen brought back here and you'll see your suspicions in a new light."

"Where is he?" Magnus asked.

"At my textile factory, I presume, where I send all humans who outgrow their usefulness. Once I send them off I have little interest in them."

"Understandable."

My smile was the most friendly I could manage. "I'll just have to check with my slave in charge of such matters."

Willow's eyes widened. "Your slave in charge of—"

"Did you really think I manage my slaves entirely on my own?"

"Well..."

My smile turned to conspiratorial wickedness. "I could teach you a thing or two about subtlety in torturing humans. There's more than one way to skin a cat. A human can be broken through quick trauma, but I prefer to savour the process. What do you think is more harmful to the human spirit? Torture by a vampire, or being betrayed and oppressed by one of their own?"

I laughed again, and they joined me, sounding every bit like a cabal of B movie villains. I kept my disdain hidden as always, and it was ridiculously easy to manipulate them. "I'll have my slaves prepare you a room for the day and I'll look into what the easy break has been up to. If he somehow did manage to escape and harm a vampire, I'll deliver him to Ivan myself."

I glanced at my guards. All three wore the perfect guise of broken spirits. Leaving them with three hostile vampires was not my preference, but neither did I want to leave the vampires unguarded.

Steeling myself, I had to trust them to take care of themselves, that was the whole point of having them train—besides the health and aesthetics of it—was it not?

I met the eyes of each of my guests in turn, with a special focus on Willow, although I trusted none of them. "Do not forget, I do not share my playthings."

My warning still ringing in the air, I turned and strode from the room casually. My unusual nervousness could not entirely override the excitement that had begun building in me at this new and interesting challenge.

What I needed, was Leif's moderating influence.

Along the way I spotted Trisha in the hall, and I said, "Human, I need to feed. Come along."

She looked a bit surprised and even more afraid, but she obeyed me without question. I picked up a second, this time a male along the way on the way to Leif's office. Between the two of them, they would certainly block anything I might say to my advisor.

A quick knock on the door revealed that Leif was inside. The stress of the situation was written in the lines on his forehead. Pulling the door shut behind us, I turned to the two confused humans I had brought with me.

"I need to feed, and you both need to scream."

Under the cover of their terror, utilizing one of my best humans, plans were made to salvage the situation in which I now found myself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.1K 1.9K 83
{A SAPPHIC VAMPIRE TALE- COMPLETE} 18+ (this story can be read as a stand-alone if you wish)❗️ This is heartbreak, this is betrayal. When Marine, a...
259K 8.9K 20
#15 Rebel 09/02/2019 #03 in adeventure 27/11/2018 [WARNING: Strong language and sexual content] Rianni is a feisty, stubborn and no shit kind of gir...
232K 8.5K 60
[COMPLETED] BOOK ONE of the LACKING HUMANITY SERIES * * * In a cold and damped cell lies a young she-wolf whose life is controlled by scientists. All...
764K 19.5K 77
⚠️Warning⚠️ Smut in this Book!- Description of sexual activity, body parts, Inappropriate language, gif that show Semi sexual activity. As well as ot...