The Date

By Dream74

Kate Smith's life hasn't been easy, with a dark past and what looks like an even darker future, Kate finds he... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Epilogue

Chapter 11

4.8K 153 6
By Dream74

Chapter 11

Kate

"Hello?" I answered my phone.

"I'm downstairs," Jay said. He didn't need to say it was him. Who else would be calling me this early in the morning?

After last night's disastrous dinner I woke up this morning feeling positive and ready for this challenge. I wouldn't let myself get that nervous and shy again. I had to get my shit together if I wanted this to work.

I ran around the flat to make sure that I had everything. I didn't have much to pack anyway other than Jay's purchases. I didn't have a lot of personal items. My flat was pretty much empty. I liked knowing that I could fit everything I had in one bag. With the idea that I could wake up and go if I needed to... in case he found me.

Grading my things I took one look around the flat before shutting the door and rushing down the stairs.

"You got everything we bought?" he asked as he gave me the once over. "What's that?" he said pointing at my large travelling bag. It was old and the handle was only just managing to hold itself but it worked.

"My travelling bag," I said as he took the bag from my hands. I've had it ever since I ran away from home. It's little a Mary Poppins bag you can fit near anything in it.

"Derek stop at Chelsea squared please" he called. "We need to get you a new bag, I'm not having my girlfriend turn up in that," he said in disgust. I just ignored him. It was way too early to argue over a bag. I was beginning to see that Jay wasn't a bad guy. We just had very different lives. Lives where people like him got everything they wanted and people like me... well didn't.

"Right you are sir," Derek said

We stopped outside Mulberry and I felt my heart jump to my throat. Mulberry was like royalty of handbag fashion! Meaning you had to pay with rubies and diamonds just to get a keychain.

Jay pulled me in and told me to pick a travelling bag and I thought I was going to faint right there in the thought of the sales assistant. After taking longer than Jay would have liked I finally picked a bag and run back to the car.

"To my parents Derek," Jay said as he started helping me move my things over to the most beautiful bag I'd ever seen.

I couldn't believe there is a Mulberry bag on my lap. I just kept on touching it and worshipping its amazingness. Enjoy the moment as it lasts Kate, I told myself. I know at the end I would have to return it all to Jay but for now, this baby and I are going to have a good time.

Finishing moving my things into the new love of my life, I made space to fit my old bag in. For some reason, I couldn't part with it.

"Derek, you can have the rest of the week off after this drop. I remember you saying it's your daughter's birthday?" Jay spoke whilst tapping at his phone.

"Well remembered Sir. Yes, little Poppy's eighth" the driver said cheerfully.

"Oh is that your daughter?" I pointed to a picture that was on the dashboard.

"Yeah ain't she a beaut, got a party for her this afternoon" he smiled proudly at the picture. It was lovely to see. "It's just a small gathering of family and friends, she's been excited about it all week, woke up this morning to all the balloons and decorations my wife made up, she was a happy one" I smiled at the kind man as he talked about his daughter with such love.

"I hope you have a lovely time" I smiled back at him.

"Thank you Miss and you on your week away" he returned a smile my way but I found it harder this time to smile back on the thought of what this week had to come.

"Thanks" was all I could manage.

"We're here. Is there anything you needed to go through before we get out?" he said looking my way.

Yes, I have a question... is it too late to run?

I shook my head. It was too late to run away now. I got myself in this place and I'm going to grin and bear it.

"No. I think I'm ready" I took in a big breath and composed myself. "I'll be better than I was last night Jay I promise. I was just nervous" I tried to explain, worried that he was still angry at me but he seemed well attested.

"It doesn't matter anymore. It's done now but you're ready now, yes?" he looked serious and maybe even nervous at the same time.

"Yes," I tried to say with more confidence.

"Good. Let's go" he said grabbing my bag for me. "Thanks, Derek. Here... buy your daughter something nice" Jay said, passing over what looked like nearly five hundred pounds. Jay's generosity shocked me.

"Thank you, sir, that's very geniuses" Derek thanked Jay with not shocked by Jay generosity. This must be a normal thing for him to offer. He gives this impression he is such a hard guy lawyer but he was caring.

Saying that Jay does spend money like it was nothing. The way he was yesterday and this morning with the bag, like it, made no difference in his life that three grand was gone just like that. What a life!

I realised I was still sitting in the car in shock until I pulled myself out of the car.

"Bye Derek," I said giving him one last smile.

"Bye Miss. Thank you again Mr Minster Sir" he called looking very merry at his tip.

I stepped out of the car with Jay. I then realised that his family were all outside packing up their cars for the road trip.

They all greeted us as we walked towards them.

I couldn't help but notice that Jake wasn't there. Good, I thought. It was too early for his glaring face.

"Morning" Jay said walking over to his Mum giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Oh love there you are..." She smiled brightly at me and I smiled back. Her smile faded when she looked around us. "Darling where's your car?" she asked as Derek drove back down the drive.

"I took the Bentley over here but Derek's gone now," Jay said pulling our bags over.

"Well how do you plan on getting there?" she laughed looking confused.

"With you guys," Jay said most likely confused why she was confused.

"Sorry mate no room" Connor came out of the house carrying two large Louis Vuitton bags in hand.

"What you talking about? Connor, you're driving your Rover right. Doesn't that thing have seven seats?" Jay pulled off his sunglasses moving over to Connor, as I just stood still awkwardly not understanding what was going on.

"I... but with everyone's bags and your sister's whole wardrobe, I've had to take the two back chairs out," he said putting the bags in the back of his car.

"Shut up Connor. I've only got like two bags" Lilly came out in a long black maxi dress salve and sunglasses. I bet she always looked amazing in whatever she was seen in. She was carrying a small little bag as Connor packed the car with two large white Vuitton bags. Yeah, I knew my fashion brands. Didn't have to be rich to recognise the rich.

"Now three," he said taking the small bag from her. "And those two bags are going to send us back an hour from the weight!" he joked but just got a frown from Lilly.

"That's got my make-up in it and don't push it, Connor. I've got like five hours with you in the car yet" she scolded him.

"You love me really" he joked, smirking as she walked away in a huff.

"How are we meant to get there then?" Jay asked more annoyed now as he walked back over to me, pulling his phone out.

"Oh just call Derek back up to get you," Lilly said walking over to us "Hey Kate" she smiled at me, finally noticing I was there.

"Hi" I smiled back, trying out this new confidence thing. Don't be shy, don't be shy.

"I gave him the week off..." Jay groaned.

Mark just walked out of the house smiling at both of us. "You must have your chauffeurs on standby Dad?" Jay asked.

"Sorry son, bank holiday weekend I'm not paying them double! I gave them all the weekend off too" Mark said.

"Oh, you're a cheap-ass Mark!" Sally laughed at her husband.

"So you're saying you have no cars out of the hundreds you own in this house?"

"It's London you know your mother and I don't like driving in this crazy town," Mark said talking back inside the house.

"I'll just have to phone a taxi then" he started playing with his phone again.

Phone a taxi! Was he joking, that would cost a function! I was about to say we could get the train but then the thought of Jay taking public transportation made me nearly fun out loud.

"Sorry Hun we planned the travel before we knew about your Kate here," Sally said.

"It's ok, I'll think of something. How are Paul and Jake getting there?"

"Paul's been and gone on his bike. He dropped his bag off here" she rowed her eyes with a playful smile on her lips. "You know that boy he likes his bikes".

He differently seemed the type to have a motorbike. Must be the wild, bad boy look.

"Don't let him hear you call Roxanna a bike" Connor laughed walking round to join us all.

"And Jake?" Jay asked.

That man's name sends a chill up my spine. Please don't make us go in a car with him Jay. Please!

"Oh yes! You could ride up with Jake!" she clapped her hands enthusiastically. "Why didn't I think about before?" Sally said.

"What car is he riding in?" Jay asked in a worried tone.

"His Porsche the Boxster one... the lucky bustard," Connor said leaning on his car. Was he joking? Did he look at his car!

"Speaking of the devil" he laughed looking behind us a loud engine made its way through the town gates and Jake made his way down the drive.

Wow! Connor wasn't joking. This car was amazing! It was one of the cars you expect to see on the front page of a guys mag with a half-naked girl lying across. It was a sexy car and I didn't even really care about cars. It sorted him I thought.

I stock the thought out of my head as quickly as it came and tried to focus. Instead, I just watched him step out of the car and it was like watching a film in slow motion, he was only wearing jeans and a white t-shirt. The shirt showed his amazing muscles and his hair was styled in that bed hair look that just made you want to put your hands through it... I was staring too much it was hard to look away.

"Morning all... Mum" He walked over greeting everyone and kissing his Mum just like Jay did.

"Hello darling" she wrapped her arms around his waist. He looked around at everyone smiling including me. That was weird.

Connor was walking around his car before Jake even turned off the engine. Boys and their toys. He started asking a load of questions I didn't understand. Connor looking at Jake's car like it was dessert or something.

"How do you fit your bag in there with you suits?!" he asked.

"Size can be misleading, you should know that Connor. It's bigger than what it looks and a little help from the Rover..." Jake said as he passed Connor a larger leather handle bag with a wink.

Jake Minster shouldn't be allowed to wink. There should be a rule against a man that good-looking winking when there were women around.

"It's not going to make it with all these bags" Connor moaned taking another bag to his car.

"Ah, Jake my boy you're here!" Mark smiled. "Great you'll ride with him Jay and we'll take Kate" Jake looked confused at his words.

"What? He's not riding with me" Jake said at the same time as Jay said "I'm not riding in that"

"Why?" Sally looked at both her sons.

"I don't like convertibles they make me feel ill and not including Jakes driving scares the hell out of me," Jay said making Jake roll his eyes.

"Mum, I'm not having him in the car. Last time Jay was nearly sick and he complains the whole time!" Jake said.

"When Lilly, you go with Jake," Mark said to his daughter but she was already in the front of the Rover.

"No" Conner and Lilly spoke at the same time.

"It will ruin my hair" was all she said and no one seemed to argue with her.

"Sally?" Mark said.

"Oh, and you'll have me ruin my hair. Also Jake dear you do drive far too fast for my liking" she said making Jake shake his head and put his hands on his hips. His shoulders look much bigger when he does that... stop looking at him like that, I tell myself yet again.

"Dad, why don't you come with me?" Jake asked.

"I can't son. Connor and I have a business to talk through on the drive up" he explained.

"What business?" everyone but Connor, Lilly and I asked at the same time.

"Nothing you need to worry about but I need to go with him. Hey, why don't you take Kate?" Mark said bringing me back to Earth. What? Me alone with Jake!

"Me?" I said at the same time Jay said "What?"

"Yeah, why not? Have you ever ridden in a Porsche Kate?" Mark asked me, I wanted to laugh at the question. Of course, I've never been in or even near a Porsche in my life.

"No," I said nervously looking at Jay. Would a girlfriend of his ride in Porsches?

"Then it's perfect, you get the experience. You and Jake can get to know each other and everyone is happy" looking happy with himself Mark locked up the house and started getting inside Conner's car.

"Maybe that's not a good idea..." Jay said but got interrupted by Mark.

"Oh, I think it's the best idea. Now come on, we haven't got long" Mark said in a tone that said his word was final.

"Are you ok with this?" Jay said as he pulled me away from everyone else.

"Sure" No I wasn't ok with this! I wanted to say, I've got to spend near five hours in a car with a guy that scared the hell out of me because he that can't stand me and I haven't a clue why!

"Just watch what you say to him ok," he said just before kissing my cheek and walking towards the rover with my bag.

"Ok then let's get going," Jake said walking over to his car putting his glasses on.

"Are we going to meet at a welcome break?" Lilly asked lending over the window to us.

"The whole point of me bring the Porsche was so that I could get there as quick as possible, I'm not stopping. We'll see you there" he said. Oh crap, I wish I knew that I would have gone to the toilet before.

"Bye," he called as we speed through the gates.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 11.9K 55
{Shortlisted for the Wattys 2022} It's 1798 and The Lenoir family controls a significant part of London's dreaded and violent underworld. They reap t...
10.7M 74.9K 22
(Sample. Watch out for the official book release on January 31, 2015!) The women in Brianne Montgomery's family have a curse. And she isn't going t...
935K 20.2K 34
"You don't want me I'm broken. Unfixable." "Broken or not your still my princess." Soon his lips are on mine and sparks flew all my worries for once...
265 80 23
Growing up in a toxic environment, sixteen-year-old Jay Foster has always had psychological problems, coupled with a quick temper. But one night some...