Chapter 2

Chapter 2

You know when you're lying half asleep in bed and you start to get that hazy feeling where you can't work out if the sounds around you are real or in your dreams...

BANG BANG!!!

Well I know that wasn't the sound I wanted to hear in my dreams.

"What the hell..." I jumped up in bed rubbing my eyes half asleep. What the heck was that banging! I looked over at my clock... seven o'clock!! God! I have an extra hour I could have slept whose causing that banging.

Bang!! The sound came again from outside my front door, it was then my mind started in gear as I worked out what was going on.

"Open up!!" Ross my Landlord screamed angrily. Why was he so angry... Oh, bugger! I owe him like two months' rent!

Bugger!!

I haven't got paid from the club this month and last month my wage was so small it wouldn't have fed a church mouse. Shifts at the club were coming up short and I could only work so much at the Café and it's not like Milly has money to just give away. Mickey said they were after new dancers for the club but things hadn't got that bad... had they.

Bang!!

"Girly I know you're in there! Open up!" Russ wasn't a mean guy he was just... no, Ross is a bastard. I know right now I'm in the wrong for not paying him but I've had no hot water for three weeks, the electric goes near every day and the walls are still damp from when I moved in, making it stink.

"Shit" I whispered moving quickly around my room, I changed quickly into my skinny jeans and a large baggy jumper, pulled my boots on and grabbed my coat and bag in under a minute.

Now was the tricky bit.

"I'll break this door down!" he really would he's done it loads of times then makes me pay the damages... again bastard comes to mind! "You own me two months' rent girly!!"

I run to the window where the fire exit is. I hate having to use these stairs. I was quite sure they don't hold my weight or even the weight of some of the London's pigeons!

Gripping on tight on the railings a felt my heart jump to my throat when I saw how far I had to fall to get to the ground. It wasn't that far but I'm short. I tried pulling myself a low as I could before I had to let go of the railings and my legs were just dangling down.

Here goes nothing...

Thirty minutes later I'm limping down the street heading for Millie's.

"Morning Sid" I lent down giving him his tea like I did every day before I went to the café for the past two years. Sid was the homeless guy that lived outside Peters fish and Chips where I used to work. He was in his late sixties and been on the streets all his life. He says he likes the outdoors and wouldn't have it any other way, every time I tried to give him the money he'd find a way of getting it back in my pocket. Weird really, to others he looked like a hairy smelly old trap ready to mug you any minute but he's putting money into my pocket not out.

So, I finally stopped trying to give him the odd pound now and then and just brought him stuff instead, like every morning I'd bring him breakfast at eight-thirty and in the afternoon after work I'd take him a cupcake from the shop.

Problem solved.

"Hello my lovely, you're early" how he would know that without a watch is beyond me but he was right. I was normally running to walk every morning because I slept in.

I loved sleep if I had my way I'd sleep till midday every day. But everyone that knew me knew it was odd seeing me before nine.

"Yeah, well that's thanks to that dame landlord banging on my door" I laughed sarcastically.