Chapter 38

Jake

I'm going to ask her to marry me. I couldn't imagine my life without her in it and with all the crap that's around us, I'm scared that she was going to give up on me. I know she loves me and I love her. I've tried to show her how I feel but she keeps seeing herself as a burden to me. The whole thing with my family upset her more than it did me. That's why I stopped by my parents before coming home.

"Jake?" Da said as I knocked on the door. I had a key but I felt best to just knock.

"Hi Da" I smile. God, I missed him. Didn't realise how much till now? I stood awkwardly on the doorstep until he took a step towards me bringing me into his arms for a hug. We weren't really huggers me and my Da but I felt needed.

"Come in, boy. It's been too long"

"I know Da. Is Mum here?" I asked walking into the house.

"Ya, she's in that kitchen. She'll be so pleased to see you Jake; this has all gone on for so long"

"Da, I'm not really here just to see Mum," I told him. He looked at me frowning.

"Then why are you here son?" he asked followed by the sound of high heels on the floor.

"Yes, why are you here?" I heard Mum walk in the room. I turned to look at her. She looked different in a strange way. It had only been six months but she looked... different. I did miss her, I'm not going to lie but I knew how stubborn she was because I was the same. Either one of us would be the first to say sorry and either one of us most likely believes we should say sorry.

"I'm here for Gran's ring," I told them. They just stood there staring at me. I knew they wouldn't approve for me wanting to marry Kate but I didn't care. I loved her and if they wanted to be a part of my life they had to accept her. This being their moment...

"What?" mum said.

"You want to propose?" Da looked shocked but happy at my news. Mum looked like she was about to hit the roof.

"You think I'm going to let you put my mother's ring on that gold digger's hand..." that was it. Well, that lasted a good... thirty seconds.

"Right forget it. I was giving you this chance to put everything behind us and look to the future and you just pissed all over that"

"I will not stand by and watch my firstborn ruin his life because of some lap dancing slut"

"I'm leaving"

"Wait Jake!" he stopped me to the door. "Sally stop this. You're about to lose your son because of your pride and prejudice of a girl you hardly know. Are you willing to ruin your relationship with your son? Because that's what you're doing right here" he moved to stand in front of her.

If truth be told, everyone knew my likes to think she wears the trousers at home. Really Da just let her think she did to keep the peace.

"He loves her and if she says yes he's going to marry her. They're going to have children and you're going to miss every bit of happiness because you wouldn't say you were wrong" Da shouted at her, to see sense.

"I just want the best for him" she cried.

"Then be the best mother to him and accept his chosen wife"

"Mum I never did any of this to hurt you, neither did Kate. I love her Mum. I've never said that about a girl before but I love her and she loves me. Even after everything I put her through. She makes me feel more" I spoke from the heart to try and catch any type of emotion inside her to accept what was going on here. The silence seemed to be my answer but just before I turned away she spoke.