Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Jake

"Mate you look awful" an annoying voice pinched my ears. I was lying on the sofa, looking like a scene from the hangover. Champagne bottles around the room, whiskey bottles and clothes scattered everywhere. It was like I'd stepped back ten years into my youth. Back to the days of partying and being reckless but these days my body couldn't handle it.

"What do you want Paul?" I said, rubbing my face to try and wake myself up.

"Mum wanted me to check on you," he said just as a half-naked girl came out of my bedroom.

"Jake, are you coming back to bed?" she sounded half-drunk herself with messy sex hair. She had my shirt on stopping high on her thigh... that used to stop at Kate's knee I thought. I pulled hard on my hair to get the thought out of my head. I saw the bottle of Jacks on the table and took a swig.

"Can I have some of that?" another girl came out wearing just her underwear. Right, I forgot there were two of them.

"Well I see you're fine" Paul rocked on his heels grinning.

"Go back and get dressed. I've got things to do today" I told them, not even giving them a second look. I had nothing to do today but I wanted them out of here. I couldn't remember much from last night but the things I do these days aren't worth even remembering.

"Well aren't you a little Casanova!" that damn voice, so annoying and cocky.

"Are you still here?" I stood moving past him to the kitchen.

"Hi Paul, how are you? Oh I'm great Jake and yes I'd love a cup of tea thanks for asking" he said in a sarcastic voice.

"Shut up you know where everything is" I sat on the stall with some aspirin and water, my head was killing me. I'm getting too old for all this.

"You know there most likely in there stealing all your stuff right, you were quite rude"

Yeah, they seemed the sort, I thought. Saying that I don't know the right type anymore so what did it matter.

"I don't care," I said.

"No, you don't care about anything these days. It's been over a month, nearly two Jake. When are you going to get over her?" I had to walk away from him as he said the word 'her'.

Her, her.... her, her, her! She made my blood boil at the thought of 'her'.

"I don't know what you're talking about"

I didn't want everyone to know that I was still hung up on the girl that broke my heart and stole my money... technically I gave it to her but still, the point was there.

"Right, can we still not say her name? You can't stay like this forever"

"Don't I have a right to be angry! She lied to me, stole from me and she broke... she's dead to me"

"And what's this meant to all be about, you grieving for her?" he started around the place. I let out a sarcastic laugh even though his words spoke the truth and he knew it. This made everything else that little bit more unbearable.

The truth was I was confused. I didn't understand any of it. I spent half the time... if not all, thinking and rethinking all the different moments we had together and none of them showed her in the light I see her in now. I was angry and hurt and I wanted to hate her but whenever I told myself I did, a little voice told me that was a lie.

"We're going then" the girls came out from my room and my blood went to fire.

"Where did you get that?" one of the girls was wearing Kate's shirt. It was Kate's favourite shirt that she left behind. Before the woman could respond I was across the room in a flash. "Take it off!" I yelled