The Glade | Newt x Reader

By uhhbooks

➪ When you get sent up into the maze you're confused and disoriented. After meeting the gladers and realizing... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Eight

105 6 6
By uhhbooks

-Y/N's POV-

I need fresh air. Quietly, I turn and walk out of the craziness of the homestead. This could not be happening. This isn't happening. 

Stumbling through the dark of the night I reach for something to support me. Everything seems too loud. The frogs and cicadas' calls buzz through my ears as if they were amplified off of speakers. I finally find the wood support beams on the outdoor walls of the homestead. Leaning over on them, I stare at the grass. I feel I may faint.

Alby was going to banish him. Newt would be gone. Killed in the maze. 

"Y/N," Newt's voice breaks the loud screeching sound reaching my ears. I feel his arms under my arms to support me. "Just sit down, alright?" 

I let my legs crumple beneth me and slide back against the homestead. 

"Atta girl," Newt says as I sit down and he gently falls beside me. 

I cannot look at him. I can't see him and know I won't see him tomorrow. Instead, I look at the stars. So beautiful and clear for such a horrible night. It doesn't fit right. 

Grass brustles and I feel Newt's hand lightly slip over mine. I let him take it and immediately feel a tinge better once his hand is in mine. 

"I'm-," Newt's voice cracks and I can hear his fear through it, no matter hard he's trying to stay strong. "I'm sorry." 

I smile. And as I look to him, a soft tear runs down my cheek, "Don't be." 

He pulls me in closer and I rest my back against the side of his chest. This moment reminds me of what felt like so long ago. We were resting under the willow tree, the stars above us. And I had fallen asleep beside Newt. He had come to check on me when he had seen me walk into the deadheads. That had been our first meeting there. Back before Dominic came up into the box and before I became a runner. Althought that had been less than a month ago, it felt like another life. 

I remember feeling happy and at ease that night, so different than the feelings I felt suffocating me now. And instead of falling into a peaceful sleep, we lay there for hours. Letting the tears silently fall, not making a noise. Until our lips were wet with each others tears and our hands were sore from clasping together so tightly. How would I ever live without him?

-Time Skip-

Newt's gone. He disappeared behind the screech of the maze walls. I can hear his screams ringing out. No. NO! Come back. Come Back! I run forward and slam into the wall doors, as if that would bring them open again. My shoulder burns from the impact and I run backwards to get ready to try again. My head is spinning and Gally shouts something into my ear. 

I run for the wall again. Except this time, I fall through. The stone wall falls apart in front of me and I sprint into the maze, calling Newt's name. I run through the ivy corridors, but Newt is nowhere to be found. How could he have gotten so far already?

I turn a corner and slam into a person. But when I look up, it's Dominic.

"Newt's gone," he grins. "Dead, dead, dead."

I stumble backwards and cover my ears from his taunts. 

"He died screaming your name, Y/N..." Dominic's voice sneers as the world turns white.

I am suddenly falling, thudding through a white hole of stone walls and ivy. The sound of someone crying out in pain following me down.

-----

I gasp and jerk awake to the feeling of wood behind my back. It was a dream, only a dream. My hands are shaking and sweaty as I wipe them along my pants. 

The morning is just beginning to lighten and still smells dewy. As I remember why I'm sleeping beside the homestead, I sharply turn and realize Newt is no longer beside me. I rise as panic starts to grip me. The thought of my dream and not knowing where Newt was, did not mix well with me right now. But I tell myself again that there's no way he could be in the maze, because they can only banish people when the doors close in the evenings.

I gather myself and walk to my room so I can switch out of yesterday's shirt. I only own one pair of knee low pants and two different shirts, so I never really put thought into what I wear. When I've finished changing, a knock comes at my door. I rush over in hope it may be Newt, but it's Minho.

"You're going to have to run alone today," Minho says quietly. "Since.. you know."

"Yeah, okay," I say as I double-knot my running shoes. "Thanks for letting me know."

Minho leaves and I get ready for my run. The whole glade is distant and seems to be mourning for this afternoon. I want to find Newt before I leave but he's nowhere to be found by the time all the other runners have left. I haven't seen Dominic either. But I don't mind that. 

After I leave, mapping the maze goes slowly. I don't feel aware through more than half of it. Its like my mind is numb and a different part from my body. Like my legs are moving by themselves without my brain telling them to. It's only when I've begun my way back to the glade that I seem to wake up. I start to speed up and run faster. I have to see him. I need to be with him before it's too late. I need more time; there's not enough time. 

When I reach the glade I know it's almost here. The gladers are mingling around outside of one of the other maze doors. A lot of the boys are holding long sticks that either are pointed at the top, or have a flat stick horizantally placed tied there. I gulp at the sight of them. I've never experienced or seen a banishment, but I've heard the stories. 

I ignore the fact I should be mapping right now, and search the crowd for Newt. I can't find him and the gladers begin to assemble around the maze door. Alby is with Dominic, who is looking far too relaxed for someone who is about to be banished. 

When I see Newt, he's talking deeply with Minho and Thomas, as if he's instructing them in something. Thomas looks emotional and Minho isn't in his normal sarcastic mood. When Newt sees me walking toward them, he breaks away and jogs up. Just at that moment, the loud ear rumbling noise of the doors shutting begins. I turn and see the doors begin to shut.

"It's time!" shouts Alby. The gladers begin to form a rectangle pointing to the maze. 

I stare out into the maze. This is wrong, this can't happen. The maze which I was running in only minutes earlier, already looked so much more deadly in the evening light and closing doors. The realization that I've run out of time hits me with a blow. 

"Look at me," Newt says, as he puts his hand on my face to move it away from the maze so I'm looking at him. "You're going to be okay. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." 

He wipes away a tear under my eye with his thumb and attempts a weak smile. I try to take in every last part of him: his sandy blonde hair, tiny freckles, soft brown eyes, light pink lips, warm calloused hands, but I can't get enough. There will never be enough time. Newt opens his mouth as if to say something else but gets interrupted. 

"Time to go, Newt," says Joe as he slightly nudges him with his stick.

"Wait, no. No you can't-" I begin when Newt turns to walk into the semicircle of sharp sticks and gladers. The circle immediately closes after Newt and Dominic are in the center. I try to shove my way inbetween two people forming the circle but get pushed back out. 

"Stop!" I call out but no one moves a muscle. I take a couple steps backward and then throw myself into the back of a skinny slopper. He stumbles forward and I use the chance as an opening to slip into the circle of portruding spikes that lead into the maze. Newt goes forward and grabs my hand.

"Stop Y/N," he says, and I can see pleading through his eyes. His hands are shaking and I can tell he's trying not to break.

"No, I'm going with you," I say quickly.

The doors are getting closer to closing each second and I can feel time slipping. 

"Minho.." Newt says firmly. 

Minho is suddenly gently taking my arms and leading me away. 

"No, no, no, no. Stop it," I say, my voice growing to a yell. "Let go!"

I push my feet along the ground, but Minho easily drags me behind the crowd. 

"Stop! Stop, stop, no, no... NO!" I start shaking when I realize I won't make it. The loud shudder of the doors closing sounds out and I can feel it through the ground. Minho lets me go and I fall to the ground. But when I look up, he's gone. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Lot's happened in the span of two chapters there. Sorry for making that depressing. Love all you people reading this and sorry for makig you wait for this update! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.9K 3.9K 81
When shrivi goes home after a long time. Who doesn't have her parents' love and family's love for some reason. She had support from her grandmother...
129K 1.6K 51
𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 , 𝐀𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐲𝐚𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐧 𝟏𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐞, 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡...
42.4K 1.4K 18
18 year old Ymir grew up on the outskirts of a small Romanian village. On her 18th birthday she sought out to run away from home when things haven't...
234K 5.2K 74
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad