STAR WARS: HERALD OF FURY

Od starwarsanv

Anakin and Owen are the proud heirs of Skywalker Enterprises, the leading corporation on planet Rodia. When t... Více

Prologue - Episode I: Herald of Fury
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36, Part 1
Chapter 36, Part 2
Chapter 36, Part 3
Chapter 37
Chapter 38, Part 1
Chapter 38, Part 2
Chapter 38, Part 3
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42, Part 1
Chapter 42, Part 2
Chapter 42, Part 3
Chapter 43
Chapter 44, Part 1
Chapter 44, Part 2
Chapter 45, Part 1
Chapter 45, Part 2
Chapter 45, Part 3
Chapter 46 - Part 1
Chapter 46 - Part 2
Chapter 47 - Part 1
Chapter 47 - Part 2
Chapter 48 - Part 1
Chapter 48 - Part 2
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Epilogue
** Supplemental Content -- From This Point Onward **
Seeker of Power
Deleted Scene: Yoda and Holis Hear Krul Speak
Deleted Scene: Jerod and Lucinda in Captivity
Character: Owen Skywalker
The Jedi Code
Character: Wilhuff Tarkin
Torture in Star Wars
The Wonderful Life of Droids
The Trial of Pawa Wanga
The Dataverse
Sensationaries
Infantry Weapons
Mandalorians
A Rodian Language
Planet Rodia
Teaser Chapter - Dr. Nico Crede
Teaser Chapter - Anakin
Teaser Chapter - Ben

Chapter 13

1.4K 85 22
Od starwarsanv

***** Please vote and comment if you enjoy this story -- thanks! *****

Ben

Ben gazed over a holotable, where models of SKYE HQ, tunnel networks, mining droids, Iskaayuma City and its weather shield generators, and a map of the binary solar system with its planetary defenses were projected. There were so many things to consider.

The Jedi was relieved that all key assets for his mission had been contacted and had committed to meet. Daniah had even been reasonably gracious on contract terms, given the short notice. But despite plans moving forward, doubts lingered in Ben's mind.

He looked down at his hardly touched plate of Dru'un slices, dried whip-smelt, and side of sytro-taffy, and forced himself to take another bite. The dish wasn't very good when warm, but cold? It was a trial of gustatory forbearance. He suspected his lack of appetite related to his mental deliberations.

How could he turn his back on the Council and his mentor, Master Yoda? Were they right to discourage involvement in the Rodian crisis, or was General Trajan right in arguing that inaction was even worse?

He didn’t know. He hated not knowing. Where was guidance from the force when you needed it?

Trajan, can I trust you? You’re an incredible, ambitious man. I’ve followed you in most things, but how far can I go? Ben accepted the title Obi-wan, defender of the Order’s future, upon Trajan’s encouragement. He entered the military ranks and served under Trajan and Bail Organa in the Great Clone War. Trajan and he shared a vision of full Jedi participation in society, such that the Order’s ideals and abilities extended beyond partnering with governments, but with non-profit organizations, pioneering corporations, and academic institutions.

Ben didn't want his admiration of Trajan to cloud his judgment. He needed to talk to someone he trusted, so he set aside his plate of food, dismissed his holoproject, and called Master Aviri with a cye command. I’ll have to be discrete about how I approach this with her.

Soon, Master Aviri's form appeared in the holotransmitter's prismatic light, wearing a sleek shift dress with a belt neck. Her wavy hair nestled loosely at her shoulders, and a striking angular bracelet hugged her left bicep. It was a nice, striking look. Aviri put her right fist to her chest, and Ben returned the gesture.

"Obi-wan -- no, forget that awful title -- Ben," she said fondly, "Sorry I missed you earlier; I was caught in a meeting. How are you? How goes your... study of Master Burkai’s Force and the Emotions?"

Ben winced. He should’ve known she’d ask. He'd been such a dead weight in the reading group as of late. In the early mornings he used to read tome after tome, but he couldn't get himself to do so anymore. He didn't know why.

"I’m still stuck in that heady fifth chapter, sadly. The one wrestling with emotion's contextual nature, and dividing its cognitive and extrarational aspects. I’ll get at it again. Probably.” Ben coughed. “It looks like you’re still collecting Gand antiques.”

“Oh, the bracelet?” she beamed, raising her left arm and examining it. “I’m surprised you noticed.”

“Notice? Aviri, it screams out to be noticed. It basically defines a conversation piece.”

Aviri sniffed. “Maybe I wasn’t commenting on the bracelet... and rather about you noticing, given your indifference towards fashion?”

Ouch. Ben smiled. “And here I thought I’d gotten better?”

“Yes, of late you have managed to attain a somewhat polished... timeless look, sticking with solid colors with little embellishment. Ceremonial Jedi robes and military uniforms suit you well in this.”

“You make it sound like I belong in a museum."

"My! You said it,  I didn't. You look so fitting in those... Jedi propaganda posters and holovids."

Ben shrugged. "It could be worse. So what’s the occasion, Aviri? Or are you honestly going to try to convince me you dressed up for fun?”

“Would it be so hard? Fine. I take it you’re aware of the SKYE hostages...” Ben nodded. “Peace is unravelling here on Rodia, and I’m working with the Municipates to quell unrest at the regional level. It's proving difficult.”

“I can imagine. You know, I heard the Council refused to commit Jedi forces, at Yoda’s behest.”

“Darius Trajan told you, did he? That’s correct. Yoda opined that Jedi disruption would... unsettle the Rodian state.”

Ben bit his lip, remembering when Yoda unpopularly argued against Jedi participation in the Great Clone War. He resigned from the Council after he was ignored and returned to teaching. It was probably for the best, with most -- even Master Wendell -- thinking “old green ears” a coward. It hadn’t helped the Jedi Master’s already dwindling reputation, who was the face of the "old order."

Ironic that Yoda's advice to not commit Jedi to Rodia was now accepted by the Council favorably. Did Council members merely consult the old Jedi Master when his opinion coveniently aligned with their predetermined judgments?

“You know I respect our old Master deeply,” Ben said. “I can hear his words now, ‘Steady itself, the galaxy should. Only when balance cannot otherwise be achieved, should Jedi intervene.’”

She smiled. “That’s a pretty good impersonation, Obi-wan... I wonder what I would sound like from your lips. Would you pause... between... each... word?”

“I wouldn’t exaggerate your... ponderings that far.”

Aviri laughed. “‘Ponderings.’ That’s good... very proper. I’ll have to use that excuse myself.”

"Happy to help. Anyway, you know Yoda and I haven't seen eye-to-eye on many matters. Perhaps if I had the luxury of living a thousand years like some Ryjens, I could entertain a wider picture of events. Maybe Yoda has the right of it.”

“As any Jedi should consider,” Aviri said. “Including myself. Although ‘right’ is a wretched word... so absolute.”

“Exactly why I used it,” Ben grinned. “So what I need to know, Aviri, is what you think.”

She twirled her index finger in a circle. “I think about a lot of things. Sullustan cuisine, sponge baths, long walks on the beach... the occasional opus from Lynet Favare...”

“Aviri, please, you knew what I meant.”

“Guilty... as charged. You know, it’s hard being the font of wisdom. Who am I supposed to turn to in my time of need?”

“Those on top can’t also be those on bottom.”

She feigned a frown. “A Tautology, Ben? You always knew how to... warm my heart." She sighed. "Do I think the Council justified in its decision? Well, I'd hate to think I voted to commit a Jedi strike team if I thought I was wrong... I believe that the Rodian response to Jedi intervention is... immaterial. Their state will disintegrate regardless. One doesn’t need to... peer into the future with the force to see this.”

“Trajan thinks likewise. How can you both be so sure?”

“I can't speak for Darius, but I have been Jedi consular to Rodia for these past three years. Rodia is a... black hole, each level of government thinking about how little it can get done, how much it can skim off the top to pad its own pockets, but... still keep the system going. SKYE and a handful of other companies’ financial lucrativity has upheld the Rodian State... but it is a house that will fall.” Aviri sighed, and then continued. “I’ve met Rodia’s leaders... greedy, calloused, egotistical, unwaveringly corrupt. Today’s encounters did not correct these appraisals.”

"Quite the stereotype of Rodian politicians you've reinforced."

"Stereotypes they've worked hard to earn. They wouldn't persist without... any truth to them."

And yet something didn't seem right to Ben. “If that’s so, why didn’t the Jedi and the Republic see something like this coming?”

“We did... in the general trend. I sent reports to the Council on Rodia’s decline routinely. It was only in particulars that we lacked... foresight. And that is why I did not see why the Skywalkers, and other SKYE personnel, should pay for our inaction.” She shrugged. "However, my position was outvoted, so now I stand back... and watch.”

“Right. Back to our paralytic Jedi meditations.” Ben clenched his fists and realized his doubts had given way to frustration and determination. I’m sorry, Yoda. I will lead the operation on Rodia. Unfortunate that I veer from the Council’s decision, but they did assign me to oversee the Order’s future in the first place. I’ll act as I see best.

Another thought came to mind. “Aviri, I heard you mention the Skywalkers. Did you ever get the chance to know their boy, Anakin? The pilot prodigy? I heard he spent a few years in Jedi training, but I never met him while he was an initiate at the Academy.”

“Yes, I knew Anakin. I taught him before coming to Rodia. A promising student, strong in the force... creative. Sharp mind. A little... sloppy with a lightsaber.”

“Do you know why he left?”

She paused. “No. I left my teaching responsibilities a year before the Skywalker left the Academy. I did discuss it with Master K’nok... What he gathered was that the boy had... obeyed his parents’ wishes.”

“What did they have to do with it? Could they not stand their son being away for so long?” Some young men grew homesick, and some parents couldn't let their children grow up.

"That wasn't it. It’s no secret our ever elusive order has not been... looked kindly upon by the galactic public lately. The opinion... dropping for oh, the last two centuries.”

“Nice off the cuff statistics. I’m impressed.”

“I am the font of wisdom, remember? Well, Master K’nok believes the Skywalkers became disillusioned with the Order, and Anakin was... compelled to come home.” Ben bit his lip. If it had been hard to recruit initiates before, it was even more difficult after high profile people like Anakin Skywalker pulled out.

“Wait, I thought you said you didn’t know why he left?”

“Correct. I gave Master K’nok’s assessment, which is wrong. No surprise there, of course.” Ben laughed, despite himself. Poor Master K’nok gets such a bad rap. It’s not deserved, most of the time. “I think there was something more...”

“What makes you think so?”

“Anakin was a student with determination, Ben. He loved his time at the Academy and devoted himself to his studies. His parents’ fears about the Order shouldn’t have... deterred him. He wasn't bullied... he had friends. I have tried to learn more... In fact, you should imagine my surprise when after he left, he moved to the world where I was stationed.”

“A strange coincidence. Did you have much contact with him on Rodia?”

“The Skywalkers? Yes. Anakin? No. His parents, and especially his brother were not... eager to have us interact. Anakin's his own man now. While I believed he'd moved on to other things, I did sense confusion and longing from him when I was in the room at certain social gatherings.”

“But Aviri, that’s not a surprise at all. Or haven't you heard? People tell me how awkward you make them feel all the time.”

She clapped lightly with her six-fingered hands. “Well done, Ben! Next time we meet in person, remind me to give you a... big sticker to put in a notebook for your blossoming wit.”

“See, you're rubbing off on me. There's hope."

"Yes... Let's keep that little secret to ourselves. I'd appreciate it if you don't associate my name with any of your... self-proclaimed aptitudes in public, Ben. I do have a reputation to maintain."

"I'm afraid the cat's out of the bag already. Alas, your days of social grandeur are numbered. Well Aviri, thanks for your words. If there’s anything I can help you with from Druckenwell, let me know.” She bowed her head, and Ben thought she looked sad. “What is it?”

“I just fear that tough times lie ahead for Rodia and the Republic. I appreciate your offer of help...but what can be done I can do alone... for now. Before I go, Ben... let me send you a gift.” A cye alert in Ben's field of vision noted an incoming file transfer, which he assumed contained a sensationary. They had a habit of swapping those.

“What is this?”

“A memory. When you first donned the robes of the Order...and were made a journeyman. I was there with Yoda...heard his words, and felt his pride.”

“Thank you, although I know I’m not the Jedi he'd want me to be.” Ben smiled. "I'm not you." He had never forgotten that Master Yoda had told him that Aviri was the Jedi he should strive to become.

“Then this should help overturn those foolish beliefs. Yoda never expects people to... agree with his viewpoint, Ben. He just... expects them to look to the force and do what they think is right. I was looking for the appropriate moment to share it... now seemed fitting. But I should go. I have much work to do, Obi-wan.”

“I understand. Duty calls.”

“And does so far too often. We should talk again soon, Ben.” She put her right fist to her chest. Ben did likewise, and signed off.

***** Thanks for reading -- remember to vote and make comments! *****

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

80K 1.8K 43
This is a sequel to Anything for YOU (Seth Clearwater Love Story). Kaya moves back to La Push finding herself in very sticky situations. She has a lo...
14.2K 858 18
[Short Story] When the air is cold and the banshee wails, the only thing left to do is run for your life. Who knew it could all go so wrong so fast?
31.6K 1.3K 16
Wondering how to work out Wattpad? How to make Covers or stories? This is your place. I thought it might be good guide for newbies, or people who hav...
19.4K 761 25
(AU where instead of Matt and Samuel Holt, it was Katie and her mother who went with Shiro for the kerberos mission.) They were rotting away in a cel...