What if Zatanna was in Once U...

By Daddy-Mikasa

This is a story of what happens if Zatanna Zatara from DC Comics is part of the Once Upon a Time series I do... More

Chapter 1: Pilot
Chapter 2: The Thing You Love Most
Chapter 3: Snow Fall
Chapter 4: The Price of Gold
Chapter 5: That Still Small Voice
Chapter 6: The Shepherd
Chapter 7: The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
Chapter 8: Desperate Souls
Chapter 9: True North
Chapter 10: 7:15 AM
Chapter 11: Fruit of the Poisonous Tree
Chapter 12: Skin Deep
Chapter 13: What Happened to Frederick
Chapter 14: Dreamy
Chapter 15: Red Handed
Chapter 16: Heart of Darkness
Chapter 17: Hat Trick
Chapter 18: The Stable Boy
Chapter 19: The Stranger
Chapter 21: A Land Without Magic
Chapter 22: Broken
Chapter 23: We Are Both

Chapter 20: An Apple Red as Blood

18 1 0
By Daddy-Mikasa

Present, Storybrooke, The Mayor's House.

Inside the house, both Henry and Regina Mills are eating dinner together when all of a sudden, there was a ring from the door.

Wiping her lips, Regina comments out," I don't recall us expecting any company."

The doorbell rings again. Regina goes to the door, opens it to reveal Emma Swan, standing alone outside.

But what caught her eyes is the fact that Zatanna isn't standing along side her.

Regina then asks," Sheriff Swan. What are you doing here?"

" Henry invited me." Emma answers, resulting in getting a look from Regina," Do you honestly believe I'd allow you into my house, for dinner, after all the threats you made to my family?"

However, Emma's answer came unexpected," I didn't come for dinner."

" Then what did you come for?" Regina asks, confused.

" You." That answer from Emma immediately causes Regina's blood to run cold.

She turns around, realizing that Henry is nowhere to be seen. As she turns back, he notices that Emma is no longer alone.

Standing behind her now stood Zatanna Zatara, Archie Hopper, Mary Margaret Blanchard, Ruby, David Nolan, Granny and Leroy, their faces having the same angry expression as Emma finishes her sentence," We all did."

Regina backs away and turns around, but Henry is at the top of the stairs, holding a rope coil.

" Henry." It was all Regina could mutter before she found herself tied up onto her tree, with Archie and Ruby tying her up tightly.

A vigilante mob watches, comprised of the crowd at the door plus Mr. Clark and the counterparts of the other Seven Dwarves, Granny and two random Storybrooke citizens are holding torches.

" No. No. Let me go. I command it!" Regina shouts only for Ruby to retort bitterly," After everything you've done to us!"

Archie scolds in a clear cut manner," Apologies, Your Majesty, but my conscience is clear!"

Leroy points at her, growling," You're not Queen anymore, sister!"

" Tighter! She needs to feel our pain!" Granny orders to the two.

" You took our love and ripped it apart!" Mary Margaret cries out as David Nolan fiercely adds," And now you're gonna pay."

Emma steps towards the tree, plucking a black apple from the branch before holding it in front of Regina.

She then squashes it in her hand, releasing an inordinate amount of black juice. Regina squeals out in terror as Emma mutters," Rotten to the core."

Crying, Regina sobs to Emma," I just wanted to win. For once."

Emma grabs Regina by the chin, snarling," You took away our happiness, and it's our turn to take away yours."

She then steps towards David Nolan, who pulls a sword out of nowhere and gives it to her.

" What? Henry. Henry, please don't let them do this to me." Regina tearfully begs to her son.

Henry spat out," You did this to yourself. "

Regina listens as Zatanna, the one not fooled by her lies, spoke out," I warned you. Now for my father and everyone else, it's time you get what's yours."

Everyone stood back and watches as Regina widens her eyes in horror just as Emma raises up the sword before swinging it down onto her.

Gasping out, Regina got up from bed, having awoken from her nightmare, completely drenched in sweat.

She checks on Henry, feeling satisfied before going back to bed.

But little does she know that underneath the blacks is just some some propped-up sheets and a flashlight.

Outside

Henry is seated at the playground when Zatanna joins in.

" Zatanna!" Henry greets her as Zatanna asks him," Hey kid, how are you and what's so important we can't wait until morning?"

Henry then say," I heard about what happened just now."

" Yeah, things are not going to look good for your mom. And speaking of her, did Regina let you out?"

Henry shakes his head," No. I snuck out."

" Wow. Gods know what you would be as a teenager." Zatanna remarks as Henry says,
" You know, things here are changing."

" Indeed, how are you holding up after...all this?" Zatanna asks.

" Quite okay. I'm pretty happy Miss Blanchard is innocent." Henry says and Zatanna then confesses," By the way, did you know Emma actually wanted to take you out of Storybrooke so that you can live with us back in our apartment?"

Henry looks at her and he questions out," No! Why would she want to do that? Her family's right here."

" I don't know Henry. I managed to talk her out of it but it's just that this is no place for a kid. I can't get Emma to believe." Zatanna says and Henry convinces her," You just have to try. You are family Zatanna. Your sister needs you. I need you."

Zatanna smiles and she says," I got it. Speaking of which, you better go home. You got school tomorrow right?"

Henry nods and he rushes back, saying goodbye to Zatanna," Bye Zatanna."

As Henry leaves, Zatanna sits back and she looks up into the sky, speaking out," Oh Daddy, if only you were here. You would know what to do."

Past, The Enchanted Forest, King George's Castle

In the Courtyard, two guards are restraining Prince Charming.

King George steps towards him, standing over the prince as he begins to questions him," Do you really think that I would let you get away? Hmm? You had quite the adventure since then."

Prince Charming defiantly shouts," Whatever it is you're going to do to me, get on with it!"

The guards haul Prince Charming to his feet as King George angrily spat," I took you in as my son, and you betrayed me! I would have given you everything: crown, kingdom. All you had to do was marry King Midas' daughter. But you decided to follow "true love.""

Prince Charming declares out,"  Losing my life for love? That's a sacrifice I am happy to make."

" As you wish." King George signals his guards.

The two guards drag Prince Charming over to an anachronistic guillotine. King George sits on a golden throne that has been set up across from it for the occasion, ordering out," Release the blade."

The executioner pulls a cord and the blade falls, but halfway down it turns to water and splashes harmlessly on Prince Charming's neck. King George rises, shocked," What is the meaning of this?"

At that moment, the Evil Queen enters with two of her soldier, apologising to King George," Sorry to drop in on you."

King George looks at her, recognising her before questioning out," Regina. What do you want?"

Evil Queen answers, " I want the man you pretend is your son. And I'm prepared to pay you any riches Midas promised you in return for him."

" What do you plan to do to him?" King George questions and the Evil Queen answers," Oh, I promise he'll suffer. Far more than some swift and simple beheading."

King George's guards bring Prince Charming to the two monarchs as King George asks," How?"

The Evil Queen smirks as she answers," By using him to destroy his one true love. By using him to bring an end to Snow White."

Present, Storybrooke, Mayor's House

In her lawn, Regina approaches her apple tree, and picks an apple. It, like the others, is diseased.

Mr. Gold Pawnbroker & Antiquities Dealer.

In his shop, Mr. Gold is behind the counter, as usual when at that moment, Regina enters and Mr. Gold greets," Your Majesty, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

" My tree is dying. Why?" Regina questions only for Mr. Gold to answer with a slight sarcastic tone," Perhaps it's your fertilizer."

Regina angrily growls," You think this is funny. Well, I'll tell you what I think. I think it's a sign of the curse weakening, because of Emma. But do you care? No. You're content to just sit back and do—whatever it is you're doing—while all my hard work burns."

Mr. Gold shakes his head," That's not all, is it. Come on, might as well get everything off your chest."

Regina scoffs out in disbelief," I don't know what you're talking about."

" Henry. Miss Swan wants him." Mr. Gold says only for Regina spat," She'll have that boy over my dead body."

Mr. Gold then reminds Regina," The curse was meant to take away Snow White and Prince Charming's happiness. Perhaps you giving up Henry is just the price to keep the curse unbroken."

" I think I'd rather just get rid of her." Regina simply states and Mr. Gold exclaims out," Whoo! Oh, well. You're going to have to be quite creative. Firstly, that magician wouldn't make it easy and second of all, we both know the repercussions of killing Miss Swan."

Both of them looks at each other and they say in unison," The curse would be broken."

" That's because you designed it that way. Undo it." Regina demands, causing

Mr. Gold scoff out," You know, even if I wanted to, I couldn't. Magic, well, is in short supply right here. And dwindling by the minute."

Regina gasps out," You want the curse broken. Why?"

Mr. Gold however, refuses to elaborate," That's not something I care to discuss."

" Don't bother; you can shove your reasons. I wanna strike a new deal. One where I can get rid of Emma, without shattering the curse." Regina proposes but

Mr. Gold however refuses," Unfortunate for you, a negotiation requires two interested parties. And, I'm already planning a trip."

" I'll give you anything." Regina bargained but Mr. Gold refuses," Ohh. You no longer have anything I want, dearie. But I will give you a piece of advice, free of charge: I'd plan a trip of your own. Because once people waken up, and remember who you are—and what you did to them..."

He chuckles out," They are going to be looking for blood. And trust me, you're gonna wish this "Superman"  the magician was looking for took care of you."

Elementary School Schoolyard.

A bell rings and three kids chase each other, dashing into school with two more behind.

Regina steps up to a row of bikes and places a "White Rabbit" placard on a license plate labeled "Paige."

Blanchard's Loft

Mary Margaret is pouring orange juice. Just then, Emma enters the room and Mary Margaret greets her," Oh. Hi Emma."

" Mary Margaret." Emma greets back.

She sat down and she asks," Where's Zatanna?"

" Oh, she went on, got something to deal with." Mary Margaret answers.

Emma then say," By the way Mary Margaret, I was thinking about leaving Storybrooke?"

" What? Why? Mary Margaret questions as Emma explains," It's just that I don't wanna be Sheriff. I don't want people relying on me, I don't want this, any of it."

Mary Margaret then what about Henry," What about Henry?"

Emma looks at her and she confesses," I have been planning on taking him with us."

" We're you going to tell Regina?" Mary Margaret asks and Emma admits," No."

Mary Margaret stares at Emma in disbelief,
" So you don't want people to rely on you, but you want to take your son. Now that sounds like a stable home for him. What the hell is wrong with you?"

" I want what's best for him." Emma says and
Mary Margaret chides," And running is what's best for him? Or is that what's best for you? You're reverting, Emma. Into the person you were before you got here and I thought you'd changed. What happened to "We have to stick together." That we're like... family."

Mary Margaret sighs out and she asks," Does Zatanna know about it?"

Emma nods," She does. She talked me out of it but I'm still not sure that's a wise decision."

" Well, regardless, you have to do what's right for Henry now." Mary Margaret says and Emma asks," What's that?"

Mary Margaret simply says," Oh, I don't know. You're his mother. That's your job. So you figure it out."

Past, The Enchanted Forest, Evil Queen's palace

Snow White peers at the battlements through a telescope before turning back, briefing to a group consisting of Zatara, Zatanna, Granny and the Seven Dwarves," If we're going to get him out, we're going to have to get over that wall. There's a soldier on every parapet."

" We're gonna need some air support." Granny states and Grumpy tells her," Air support? I know just the person that can help us, and who owes me a favor."

Hearing something coming, the Dwarves draw their crossbows on a nearby bush.

Emerging from bush is Red Riding Hood who puts her hand up with a blood stain visible on her chin," Don't shoot. It's only me."

" Uh, Red, you've got a little something on your chin." Grumpy points out, wiping his own to demonstrate.

Red Riding Hood realizes what he meant before wiping blood off her own chin," Sorry."

Snow White asks Red Riding Hood," What were you able to find out?"

" The prince is still alive." Red Riding Hood says but Snow White notices she isn't smiling as she asks," Then why don't you look happy?"

" Because I also heard word the Queen is here." Red Riding Hood says.

Snow White nods," She knew I'd come for him."

" It's a trap." Granny tells Snow White and she nods,not denying the odds," Indeed. It matters not; I can't stop now."

She turns to addresses the Dwarves," But I'll understand if any of you want to turn back"

" NO!!!" The Dwarves answers together in unison and Snow White lets out a quick, relieved sigh," Well, then there's no time to waste."

Zatara then ushers the group," Come on let's go!"

Zatara, Zatanna, Granny and the Dwarves rushes off to get into position as Red Riding Hood asks Snow White," Why is the Queen doing this?"

" I destroyed her happiness. And now she wants to destroy mine." Snow White confesses, feeling a hint of guilt.

Prince Charming's Cell.

Prince Charmin is seated on a rock, chained up in a cell as the Evil Queen enters escorted by  two soldiers.

The Evil Queen addresses her soldiers," Leave us."

The guards nods and leaves, allowing The Evil Queen to Regina to use her magic to open the cell door.

Prince Charming rises, defiantly questioning her," What do you want?"

The Evil Queen looks at Prince Charming, admiring his handsome face, fit body and she compliments him," Hmm. I suppose I see the allure."

She touches his chest only for him to slap her arm away. She looks him up and down, snarling," I wonder if you'll be quite so incorruptible after your precious Snow is gone."

" Whatever she did to you, leave her alone and take my life instead." Prince Charming begs.

Regina however has a different thought in mind," Oh, who said anything about taking her life? Oh, no. I have a far more satisfying brand of punishment for her."

She leaves the cell, taking an apple out of a bag as she does so. Prince Charming lunges forwards, but she closes the door by magic and chuckles out.

Present, Storybrooke, Mayor's House.

Regina stares out a window, pondering to herself when at that moment, Jefferson enters her office, holding the White Rabbit placard.

Regina turns around, addressing him," Jefferson. So you got my message."

" How could I miss it? You know I watch her." Jefferson questions out.

Regina crosses room to pour some drinks and she tells him," It must be painful, your daughter Paige being oh-so-near?"

" Grace. Her name is Grace; you should know that—you changed it. What do you want?" Jefferson questions and Regina answers," Your help."

Jefferson then scoffs," And what makes you think I won't kill you after everything you've done?"

Regina simply stated," Because you don't have it in you. If you did, you would have done it twenty-eight years ago when I brought you here. Because you know if I'm dead, you'll never get back to your daughter."

She offers Jefferson a drink and she continues," And I have a way for us to both get what we want."

Jefferson places the placard inside the cup instead of taking it. Regina crosses the room, sets down the cup, and takes up a hatbox, then sets that down with a triumphant look at Jefferson.

Jefferson walkover, flipping the box opens and he gasps upon seeing what was inside," My hat."

He stares down at Regina and she says," I want you to use it again."

Jefferson shakes his head," I can't make it work. No one can. Not here, not without magic."

" Well then, you're in luck, because I happen to have some. Not a lot." Regina says as she take the hat out of box, gives it to Jefferson and adds," But hopefully enough for one last journey."

" Where?" Jefferson inquires.

Regina answers," Back to our land. Where there's a solution to a very delicate problem I have: how to get rid of the one person who could break my curse."

" Emma." Jefferson smiles and he coldly questions Regina," And why shouldn't I let her do just that? End the madness and go home?"

Regina scoffs upon hearing that," To your hovel? Selling fungus at the fair? Why? You can just stay here, in the mansion I gave you."

She sighs, walking past him as she explains," My problem, Jefferson, is the same as yours. It's family. We both want out children back, and we both can get them. If we work together."

" Why should I trust you now?" Jefferson questions.

" You shouldn't. But it's the only offer you've got. After we're through I'll wake up your dear Grace so she remembers who you are." Regina vows

Jefferson quickly screams out," No!"

He approaches her, telling her," Remembering is the worst curse: two lives in a head, like me. I want to forget. I want you to write us a new story. A fresh start. Here."

Regina smirks," Well then, my dear Jefferson, that's exactly what you'll have."

She room one last time before turning back to him,
" Oh. After we take care of Miss Swan."

Past, The Enchanted Forest, The Dark Palace, Grounds.

Snow White is surveying the Palace just as she hears the howls of a wolf.

Snow White smiles, knowing that Red Riding Hood has given her the signal in her wolf form,
" Thank you, Red."

She turns to the Dwarves, instructing them,
" Do it."

A bearded dwarf in a purple cap shoots a flaming arrow into the sky before ordering his brothers,
" Move out!"

As they do, Grumpy sighs out," I miss Stealthy."

Meanwhile, the Blue Fairy and the other fairies are hovering high in the air.

The Blue Fairy notices the arrow through a hole in the clouds and she signals the rest of the fairies," We're a go! Fairies—attack!"

The Fairies dive through the clouds and hover above the lake surrounding the Palace.

Snow White and company stand underneath a wall, pointing crossbows upwards, launching grappling hooks at the battlements before climbing up.

The Palace guards exit the guardhouse one by one, not knowing what is happening. Snow White throws two throwing daggers, kills the first one while using a sword to cut down another.

Grumpy takes out the third with his pickaxe.

At the same time, Zatanna uses her illusions to create one of a terrifying monster, scaring away a couple of guards to which Doc and Happy jumps in to take them out.

Zatara fires several magic blasts, taking out five guards in the process while Sneezy accidentally lets out a sneeze which pushes a guard off the parapet and down onto the ground below.

Dopey swings his pick axe, taking out a guard while Bashful drops a sandbag down before the guard alert his comrades, knocking him out.

Snow White and the dwarves regroups only to find themselves face-to-face with a wedge formation of only nine guards.

Snow White and the Dwarves hesitates and look behind them, where Zatara and Zatanna are busy fighting off ten more guards.

Suddenly, there was a loud shout from above," Let's go!"

Snow White and the Dwarves ducks as The fairies swoops down, instantly knocking all standing guards unconscious with Fairy Dust.

Present, Storybrooke, Granny's Bed and Breakfast.

Henry races down a hall to door number two with Zatanna following him from behind.

He pounds on the door as he hears August's voice from inside," Hang on."

August opens the door, seeing Henry and Zatanna outside his room.

Henry steps into the room and he begs," August, please, we need your help."

" Whoa whoa. Slow down Henry, why do you need my help for?" August asks.

" Emma wants to leave." Zatanna tells him.

" What?" August exclaims in surprise and Henry begs,
" You were gonna make her believe. You have to."

August looks down and he sadly apologises l,
" I know, Henry. I'm sorry. I ... I failed. "

" Failed?" Henry questions out, confused.

" What do you mean?" Zatanna asks.

" I tried to show her. First it was my legs, and now? Now take a look. At the unvarnished truth." August rolls down the jacket sleeve to reveal a wooden arm.

Henry gasps out at what he saw," It's wood!"

" I don't believe it." Zatanna gasps.

" Yes." August nods as he wiggles his gloved fingers.

" All this! I was right! The curse; it's real!" Henry cheers as he hugs Zatanna.

August nods," You're a smart kid."

Zatanna then looks at him and she gasps," And you're Pinocchio! No wonder why I feel like we met. We have met."

" What gave it away?" August ironically remarks as he rolls sleeve back up.

" But, why are you turning back to wood? Your story, you should be real!" Henry asks and August simply admits," I'm changing back because I haven't exactly been a good boy."

August then adds," And uh, if the curse doesn't break, this doesn't stop."

Henry then begs Zatanna," Zatanna please. You got to do something!"

" I can't Henry. Without magic there's nothing I can do." Zatanna says sadly.

" So, we show Emma that you're turning back into the puppet you were, and then—she has to believe! And when she does, she could break the curse!" Henry says but August however, isn't very optimistic," I tried that. She doesn't want to see, so she doesn't. There's nothing more that I can do. I, I'm getting tired. It's hard to ride, it's hard to walk. Soon it's gonna be hard to breathe."

" So we have to do something fast." Henry says but
August shakes his head," There's nothing to do."

Zatanna then offers," Listen August. I may not be able to fix you in this current state but I can offer you one thing. Would you like to spend some time with your father?"

" Papa's here?" August asks looking up and Zatanna,
" Yeah. Gepetto. He goes by Marco here. He works in a workshop in Storybrooke, I can bring you to him if you want."

" Thank you. That's very kind of you." August smiles.

He then rises and shows the pair out the door and
Henry asks," So, you're giving up?"

August shakes his head," I'm afraid that I don't have a choice. I'm sorry, kid, but---I'm out of Operation Cobra."

Zatanna puts her hands on Henry and she encourages him," Don't give up Henry. As long as I am here, we will get Emma to believe and break the curse. August may be decommissioned, but now it's up to us."

Granny's Diner

Emma sits across from Archie as he apologizes to her," Emma! I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you don't have any case for custody!"

" Even after everything she's done?" Emma questions out to which Archie contradicts her," Which you can't prove! Why don't I ask you a question: with this war raging on, who do you think's really getting hurt?"

Emma nods," I know. Henry! But don't you think it's a good thing he's spending time with me? I'm his mother!"

" Yes, you are. And so is Regina. And—well, look, the court is gonna come in and look at him and see how he's been since you've come into his life." Archie says

" And he's been happier, right?" Emma questions to which she gets a frank answer from Archie," Maybe. I mean, objectively? He's skipped school, he's stolen a credit card, he's run off, he-he's endangered himself repeatedly. And so in the eyes of the law it's not so..."

" What about in your eyes? What do you think?" Emma asks.

Archie then tells her," I mean, a while ago, I told you to engage him in his fantasy life, and—perhaps I was wrong. Because he's only retreated further into it."

Emma stares at him and she questions," You think he's better off with her?"

" I've never said that." Archie says and Emma questions," Do you think that she would ever hurt him?"

Archie shakes his head," No. Never. Everyone else, but not him. Look, right or wrong, her actions have all been defensive. I'm not judging, but..."

He sighs out as he says," In many ways, your rival has woken a sleeping dragon."

" Tell me honestly. Has he been better off since I got here?" Emma asks and Archie informs her," Oh. That's not a matter of better off. It's a matter of "this war has to end." If you two are going to be in his life, you have to figure out the best way to do that."

Past, The Enchanted Forest, Cellar of Dark Palace.

Snow White jogs down a stone passageway to Prince Charming's Cell, calling out to him,"" Charming! Charming."

As she takes a key off a nearby hook, she hears Prince Charming's voice," Snow."

Snow White puts down lantern, opens the cell, only to find she is staring not at Prince Charming but a mirror holding his image.

" You're—no. No. Oh no." Snow White shakes her head, looking in the mirror as Prince Charming says to her through it," The Queen took me to her palace."

Snow White sobs out," But I'm rescuing you."

" Snow." Prince Charming says. He puts his hand to his side of the mirror; she matches it, questioning him sadly," Is that always going to be our life. Taking turns finding each other."

Prince Charming shakes his head," No. We'll be together, I know it. Have faith."

Suddenly, appearing in the place of Prince Charming is a puff of purple smoke before the Evil Queen appears, emitting an evil giggle," I just had to stop you. I have no interest in cleaning tongue marks off my mirror."

Snow White demands," Let him go. Your fight is with me."

" My thoughts exactly. Have you ever heard of a parley? We break off all this messy fighting and have a little talk. Just you and me. Come unarmed." The Evil Queen proposes

" Where do I meet you?" Snow White asks and the Evil Queen simply answer," Where it all began."

Prince Charming's Castle.

Snow White, Zatara, Zatanna, Red Riding Hood, Widow Lucas, and the Seven Dwarves stand around a table while Snow White disarms herself.

Snow White then says to the group," Stop trying to talk me out of this; the castle's secure. I'm going."

" Keep the little knife between your tuffets." Grumpy advices but Snow White refuses," I promised I would come alone alone and unarmed: it's a parley. There are rules."

" You're too noble for your own good." Red Riding Hood points out and Snow White says," I'm not. But enough of you; I've risked your lives because of something that's between the Queen and me. I will not let anyone else get hurt because of me."

" Except you." Red Riding Hood says.

Snow White smiles appreciatingly at Red Riding Hood," Thank you for your concern, but this ends, today."

As Snow White attempts to leave, Grumpy stops her," We can't let you go."

" I'm not asking. Thank you for your support. I love each and every one of you. This is something I have to do. Alone." Snow White sadly says before pushing past Grumpy to meet The Evil Queen.

As Snow White leaves, Red Riding Hood says to the rest," I don't like this. I don't trust that queen."

Zatara nods," I agree. Zatanna follow her."

Zatanna puts her hands out, using her magic to change herself into the form of a hummingbird.

The group watches as the hummingbird flies after Snow White.

Present, Storybrooke, Catacombs.

Inside the catacombs, Regina leads Jefferson down to her vault, saying to him," Watch your step."

Jefferson looks around and he asks her," What is this place?"

Regina answers," Where I've kept the last bit of my magic. The only magic in this world is in the things I brought with me."

They soon arrive at a room with shelves containing minor artifacts.

Jefferson puts the hat on floor, and he sighs out," It's not spinning, it's--not working."

" It needs to absorb the magic that's here. I have some things left." Regina explains.

She takes a box from shelf, saying to Jefferson," A few trinkets."

She empties the box into hat, replacing it on shelf.

They wait.

Jefferson shakes his head and flips the hat upside down but nothing falls out.

" It's not enough; we need something that still works." Jefferson says.

Regina pulls out a ring from her pocket and studies it, tears flowing from her eyes as she shows Daniel's face, Jefferson notices it and he asks," Who is that?"

" Someone long gone." Regina sadly answers.

Jefferson then tells her," Well, whatever—or whoever—it is, it still has magical properties. Give me that, and let me see what I can do with it. If you want your son back, if you want your revenge, give it to me."

Regina indicates that he should put the hat on the floor.

He does, and she places the ring inside.

The magic within the ring finally causes the hat to make a small vortex.

Curious, Regina questions," What's wrong? Why isn't it opening a portal?"

Jefferson examines the hat and he answers," The magic; it's not enough. We can't go anywhere."

Regina then scoffs out," Well, then you've failed."

However, Jefferson disagrees," Maybe not. There's enough magic to touch the other side, just not to get us there. There might be enough to—reach through and retrieve something."

Regina suddenly crouches down to eye level with Jefferson, interest in her eyes as she asks Jefferson," I can bring something back?"

Jefferson then asks her," Is there an object that can help you? Perhaps I can open it enough, and reach through and grab it. It would have to be small, something you can take with your hand. Is there anything like that that can help you?"

Regina nods," Yes. Yes, I believe there is."

" Then you need to direct me to the time and place where this object exists." Jefferson tells her and Regina questions out," How?"

Jefferson instructs her,"Think about it. Guide the hat."

Regina closes her eyes and smiles. She opens them and both stand up to witness a real vortex this time.

" Excellent. It appears to be working. Now what is it we're after?" Jefferson questions and Regina simply answers," An apple."

Past, The Enchanted Forest, Regina's Childhood Home

In the stables, The Evil Queen enters and looks around.

At that moment, Snow White enters as she greets The Evil Queen," Hello, Regina."

" Follow me." The Evil Queen instructs, As the two walks, The Evil Queen questions," Do you remember when I ran down your runaway horse, Snow? Do you remember when I saved your life?"

" Of course." Snow White agrees, looking around and she lets out a nervous laugh," It all looks the same."

However, The Evil Queen disagrees," Not quite. This is new."

She indicates to her a headstone with a pink heart on it.

Snow White looks at it and she gasps out," Is that..."

" A grave. Daniel's grave." The Evil Queen interrupts by answering her question.

" Daniel. I thought..." Snow White says and The Evil Queen interrupts her bitterly," He ran away? I told you that to spare your feelings out of--kindness. But he died because of you."

" Uh, uh-I'm... sorry." Snow White apologizes.

The Evil Queen says," I'm sorry too. But nothing can change what happened. What you did. You promised to keep my secret. You promised, but you lied."

Snow White defends herself," I was very young, and your mother..."

" She ripped his heart out. Because of you! Because you couldn't listen to me." The Evil Queen growls.

" You took my father. Haven't we both suffered enough?" Snow White questions out and TheEvil Queen screams," No!"

She reaches into bag and Snow White questions her," What is that?"

The Evil Queen pulls out her hand, revealing an apple and she explains," It's just a morsel. Did you know that apples stand for health and wisdom?"

Snow White however, doesn't believe her," So why do I get the feeling that one might kill me?"

The Evil Queen shakes her head," It won't kill you. No, what it will do is far worse. Your body will be your tomb. And you'll be in there with nothing but dreams formed of your own regrets."

Snow White looks at it and realization dawns on her," You're going to force me to eat it."

The Evil Queen scoffs out," Of course not. It wouldn't work, anyway. The choice is yours. It must be taken willingly."

" And why would I do that." Snow White asks and The Evil Queen blackmails," Because if you refuse the apple, your Prince? Your Charming? Will be killed."

Snow White shakes her head," No."

" As I said, the choice is yours." The Evil Queen simply says.

Snow White then asks," I take that apple and he lives. That's the deal you want to make?"

The Evil Queen nods, swearing to her," With all my heart."

Snow White then takes the apple, declaring out to her," Then congratulations. You've won."

Snow White takes one big bite out of the apple, and the poison began taking effect.

Snow White loses consciousness and she falls down.

Prison

At the same time, Prince Charming grunts and falls down in the same manner.

Realization dawns on him and Prince Charming gasps out," Snow."

Prince Charming runs to cage, rattling the bars and he screams out," What have you done to her? What have you done? Snow!"

Regina's Childhood Home

As all this is happening, meanwhile, the apple rolls down the hill.

Zatanna in her hummingbird form flies past as a small portal opens up.

It falls through the portal and through Jefferson's Hat into Storybrooke.

Catacombs

The apple falls through the portal, travelling to the present and Jefferson puts out his hand, catching the apple.

" Was this it?" Jefferson asks as he holds it to her.

Regina accepts the apple from him and she nods," Yes. Yes it is."

" And my daughter? My Grace?" Jefferson inquires but Regina refuses," First things first. The deal's not done. Not until I solve the next conundrum. How to get the savior to taste my forbidden fruit."

Later

Back in her house, Regina is hard at work.

She cuts the poisoned apple, avoiding Snow White's bite mark as she uses the rest of the apple to make the apple filling.

She fills up the pastry dough, covering it before slathering it with egg wash and putting it into the oven.

Regina sneers as she looks into the oven, watching her Apple Turnover baking in the oven.

Soon

Emma walks up the front steps, ringing the doorbell.

Regina answers the door, seeing Emma outside as she says to her," We need to talk."

Regina quickly agrees," Yes, I-I imagine we do. I was just about to call you. Come right in."

Emma crosses the threshold and Regina says to her sarcastically," Do what you're so skilled at and make yourself at home. I believe you came to see me."

Emma then says," Look. This isn't easy. I think that this—whatever it is between us—needs to end."

Regina nods," At last, something we can agree on."

" I wanna make a deal with you about Henry." Emma states and Regina declines," I'm not making any deals with you."

" I'm leaving town." Emma declares and Regina questions out in shock," What?"

Emma then explains," This—what we're doing is a problem. And I'm gonna go. But I have conditions. I still get to see Henry, I get to visit, and spend time, whatever."

" And you get to see him; you're still in his life." Regina bitterly says.

" In any deal both parties are a little unhappy. But let's be honest: we both know a world where I'm not in his life no longer exists and there's no one who can do anything about that." Emma states.

Just then, the oven beeps, attracting the attention of Regina as she says to Emma," You're right. Would you mind following me for a moment?"

Emma and Regina move the conversation to the kitchen, where Regina takes the turnover out of the oven, asking her," So, what are you proposing?"

Emma simply shrugs," I don't know. Just—figure it out as we go."

" But he's my son." Regina protests and Emma simply answers," Yeah."

As she begins to leave, Regina quickly stops her," Oh, Miss Swan. Maybe a little something for the road?"

" Thanks." Emma says appreciating it as

Regina proposes to her," If we're going to be in each other's lives, it's time we start being cordial."

She puts the turnover in container as she says," My famous turnovers. Old recipe. But delicious."

She says as she presents the turnover to Emma.

" Thank you." Emma thanks her as Regina smiles," I do hope you like apples."

Emma smiles back before turning away, heading back to her car with the apple turnover in her hand.

Present, The Enchanted Forest, Regina's Childhood Home

Widow Lucas and Red runs there as Red Riding Hood says to her grandmother," Snow's here. I can smell it."

" Snow! Snow!" Granny calls out.

" She's over here!" Red Riding Hood and Granny hears the call of Grumpy.

The pair rushes in, seeing Zatanna cradling the unconscious Snow White with tears flowing from her eyes.

Zatara kneels next to her, putting his hand on her shoulder while the The Seven Dwarves stands next to him.

" I found her lying here like this, is she..." Zatanna asks and Red Riding Hood urges Granny," Granny, give me your dagger."

Granny gives Red Riding Hood her dagger and she holds it under Snow White's nose.

" Maybe she's just sleepin'." Happy says hopefully only for Red Riding Hood to say to him sadly," She has no breath. She's gone."

The Dwarves remove caps in unison, looking down solemnly as Red Riding Hood says," She sacrificed herself for true love."

" She sacrificed herself for all of us." Grumpy states, tears welling from his eyes.

Past, The Enchanted Forest, Dark Palace

The Evil Queen sits at a table with a mirror.

" It would appear sacrifice is overrated." The Evil Queen giggles out and she leans forwards.

" But speaking of." She gestures toward mirror, which--with a puff of blue smoke--shows Prince Charming rather than the Dwarves.

The Evil Queen watches as Prince Charming cries out in anguish," No! What have you done to her? What have you done?"

Present, Storybrooke, Mr. Gold's Pawn Shop.

Mr. Gold stands at the counter, writing in a ledger.

At that moment, Regina enters the shop and she says to Mr. Gold," I hope you bought travel insurance. Because no one's going anywhere."

Mr. Gold looks up and he questions her," Oh really. And why's that."

Regina answers," Because I found the solution to my Emma Swan problem."

" Oh, yes." Mr. Gold says softly, knowing what she is talking about as Regina adds," An old, reliable solution."

" A sleeping curse. Might I ask how you managed to obtain one here in Storybrooke?" Mr. Gold asks and Regina sadly answers," By sacrificing the last bit of magic I had left."

" So you made magic from magic. Well, I'm sure I don't have to remind you that uh... all magic comes with a price." Mr. Gold states and

Regina leans forward over counter smirking at him," Then you can pay it. Because now? The curse is gonna be stronger than ever and you will be right here, where you belong."

Mr. Gold leaves the counter behind and stands by another counter, listening as Regina continues while following him," Don't you understand? I won! So whatever plan you had, whatever reason you wanted the curse broken... too bad. Because it's never going to happen."

With that she turns around, spinning the globe on her way out before leaving the store.

Mary Margaret's House

Emma comes down the stairs and hears a knock sounds on the door.

She opens it only to find Henry standing outside.

" Hey, Emma!" Henry greets her," Everything okay? You sounded strange over the walkie." Henry says.

" Oh, um. I'm okay. Just, um...." Emma sighs out and she says to him," Yesterday when I tried to take you away, Zatanna was right about one thing. Can't take you out of Storybrooke. But I can't stay, either."

" What?" Henry stares at her in disbelief as Emma says to him," I have to go."

" Go? You mean—leave Storybrooke?" Henry questions out and Emma says to him," I spoke to Regina, we made a deal, I'm still gonna be able to see you, just not... every day."

" No! No! You can't trust her!" Henry shouts in protest and Emma states," I have to. It's my only choice. It's best for you, Henry: every time I fight her, someone else gets hurt."

Henry shakes his head," No no no! You're just scared. This happens to all heroes, it's just—the low moment before you fight back.:

Emma sinks down to her knees, shouting at Henry," Henry! This isn't a story! This is reality. I know Zatanna loves to play with you but some things have to change. You can't skip school. You can't run away, and... you can't believe in curses."

Henry stares at her,"...You really don't believe?"

" I--ehm. This is how it has to be right now. I made a deal. And I used my superpower. She's telling the truth: she's going to take really good care of you." Emma says.

" Yes! But she wants you dead." Henry protests and Emma could only look at him," Come on, Henry!"

" You're the only one that can stop her!" Henry states and Emma rises to her feet, questioning his words," Stop her from what? All she's ever done is fight for you. It just... got out of hand. I'm sorry."

The two hugs each other.

Henry then notices the apple turnover and he questions her," Where did you get that?"

" Regina gave it to me." Emma says and realization dawns on Henry.

" Apple!" He exclaims out and Emma looks at him, not knowing what is going on," So?"

" You can't eat that: it's poison." Henry protests and Emma exclaims out," What?"

" Don't you see? The deal. It was all a trick, to get you to eat that. To get rid of the savior." Henry tries to convince Emma only for her to scoff out," Henry, come on. Why would she do that when I just told her I was gonna go?"

" Because as long as you're alive, you're a threat to the curse." Henry says, causing Emma to shake her head, losing her patience with him," Henry? You've got to stop thinking like this."

" But it's the truth. And you leaving isn't gonna change that." Henry says as the two reach for the turnover.

" I'll prove it to you." Emma says as she reaches for the apple turnover.

" No!" Henry screams out as he snatches the turnover away and steps back.

" Henry! What are you doing?" Emma questions.

Henry then says to Emma," Sorry it had to come to this. You may not believe in the curse. Or in me. But I believe in you."

He then bites into turnover, chewing on it.

Emma could give him a sad smile as she say," See? You wanna have some ice cream with that? Then we can go back to talking about..."

However, before Emma could continue, Henry collapses onto the floor, unconscious and Emma calls out to him in concern," Henry. Henry? Henry?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 43 5
You move into a new town from the city you and your parents use to live , you went to a new called Metropolis high , you think to yourself that it m...
45.2K 1.5K 12
What if both Emma and Regina went to New York with Henry once Peter Pan had enacted his curse? *SwanQueen fanfiction *You have to have watched Once U...
11.4K 197 64
A Zatanna and Dick Grayson story Dick Grayson is a circus kid taken in by billionaire Bruce Wayne. Zatanna's a magician for galas and high class part...
8.6K 216 22
This fan fiction is based off of season 4b of Once Upon a time. This is what would happen if I was a writer on ouat. Hope you enjoy. This is my first...