What if Zatanna was in Once U...

By Daddy-Mikasa

This is a story of what happens if Zatanna Zatara from DC Comics is part of the Once Upon a Time series I do... More

Chapter 1: Pilot
Chapter 2: The Thing You Love Most
Chapter 3: Snow Fall
Chapter 4: The Price of Gold
Chapter 5: That Still Small Voice
Chapter 6: The Shepherd
Chapter 7: The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
Chapter 8: Desperate Souls
Chapter 9: True North
Chapter 10: 7:15 AM
Chapter 11: Fruit of the Poisonous Tree
Chapter 12: Skin Deep
Chapter 13: What Happened to Frederick
Chapter 14: Dreamy
Chapter 15: Red Handed
Chapter 17: Hat Trick
Chapter 18: The Stable Boy
Chapter 19: The Stranger
Chapter 20: An Apple Red as Blood
Chapter 21: A Land Without Magic
Chapter 22: Broken
Chapter 23: We Are Both

Chapter 16: Heart of Darkness

14 1 0
By Daddy-Mikasa

Enchanted Forest. Past

In the Enchanted Forest, Prince Charming and Red Riding Hood are running, being persued by more of King George's knights.

Prince Charming the urges," Red, look out! We need to move. There's more of them!"

Red Riding Hood instructs him," Go. I'll take care of them."

Prince Charming objects," Red, I'm not leaving you."

Red Riding Hood says to him," Find Snow. That's all that matters. Find her!"

" What are you gonna do?" Prince Charming asks.

" I'm giving you a head start." That was all Red Riding Hood answers as she faces her approaching adversaries.

As King George's knights closes in, Red tosses away her cloak, her body shifting into a large wolf before lunging at them.

Present, Storybrooke, Sheriff Department.

At the Sheriff's Department, Emma is taking pictures of Mary Margaret as she instructs,
" Please turn to the right."

Mary Margaret shakes her head and she expresses out," Emma, this is a mistake. I didn't kill Kathryn."

Emma agrees," Of course you didn't. But while I am your friend, I am also the sheriff, and I have to go where the evidence leads."

" Which points to me? Emma, yesterday it was David. There's something not right here." Mary Margaret says and Emma adds," I know, but your fingerprints were on that box, and his are not... so now we have to deal with... this."

Mary Margaret shakes her head, refusing to believe what is happening," Evidence that says I cut out Kathryn's heart and buried it in the woods? This is insane."

Emma then frankly tells her," If I don't book you, with all this evidence, it's gonna look like favoritism. And then Regina will have cause and she will fire me, and then you know what she'll do? She'll bring in someone who will railroad you. So please, just try to be patient and trust me. But in the meantime, you need to bear with me. I have to ask you a few questions."

Mary Margaret shakes her head," This is crazy. I would never hurt anyone."

Zatanna says to Mary Margaret," We know. We just have to find out why. And how?"

Emma looks at Zatanna and she asks," What are you implying Zatanna?"

" The evidence may point to her but we have been seeing Mary Margaret for the past few days even during the time Kathryn went missing so it doesn't make sense for all this to happen." Zatanna says and Emma agrees," Yeah what you say make sense sis but there's not much we can do unless we can have proof about it."

" You know what, I'll try to find it." Zatanna then steps out of the Sheriff's office, leaving Emma and Mary Margaret alone.

Past, The Enchanted Forest, The cottage

Inside a cottage, a bird tweets a song as it flies into the window where Snow White smiles at it.

The bird approaches only for Snow White to suddenly raise up a broom and slamming it down.

The attack startled the bird as it flaps its wings flying as Snow White swings her broom with intend to kill it.

At that moment, Grumpy enters the room and upon seeing what Snow White is doing, he questions,
" Snow? What are you... what are you doing?"

Snow White answers while busy swatting at the bird,
" Getting rid of the vermin in this house. Yah!"

The bird flies away, disappointing Snow White as she turns to face Grumpy," Oh. What do you want?"

" It's dinnertime." Grumpy says only for Snow White to refuse," I'm not hungry."

Not willing to take no for an answer, Grumpy takes Snow White into the dining room," Come on. We made something extra special tonight."

" She's out of control." Happy remarks to the rest of the dwarves.

Snow White steps out, seeing the dwarves and even Zatara and Zatanna standing around with serious unhappy expressions on their faces as she asks rudely," Somebody die?"

Jiminy Cricket jumps in and he says to her," Snow, why don't you have a seat?"

" Oh!" Snow White jumps which startled Jiminy Cricket in the process," Ooh!"

Disgusted, Snow White questions the group,
" Why is there a dirty cricket in here!"

Jiminy quickly jumps in," Uhh! Uh, my name is Jiminy, and your friends have asked me to be here tonight. They're concerned about you and they have something they'd like to say. Grumpy, why don't you start?"

Grumpy nods and he frankly tells the girl," Snow White, you've changed. You've become angry, irritable, and downright mean."

Snow White scoffs at the accusation," Changed? And who are you to tell me I've changed?"

" Snow, please, these are your friends, and we're all here because we... we care about you. Who wants to go next?" Jiminy asks as

Sneezy adds," Uh... You brought bales of... straw into the house last night even though you know that I'm a... Ah... Ah ...Choo! Allergic."

" You are allergic to everything." Snow White scoffs.
Zatara and Zatanna looks at each other in concern as

Happy adds, unhappily," You broke my mug!"

" You're lucky it wasn't that mug you call a face!" Snow White retorts.

" You are the worst, most nasty, horrible..." Happy angrily lashes at Snow White as Grumpy shouts," Enough!"

" Look what you're doing to Happy. That potion you took... the one that erased the Prince from your mind... you haven't been the same since you drank it." Grumpy states.

Snow White disagrees," That helped me forget whatever or whomever I needed to forget, and I am clearly better off for it. That potion was the solution, not the problem. The problem is that I'm living here, in a house full of dwarves instead of in my palace, with my father, as a princess, but I can't do that anymore, can I? Because he was murdered, murdered by the same woman who sent a huntsman to kill me!"

Zatara then says to her," Snow, your anger towards the Queen is understandable. But can't just take it out on your friends."

" You're right." Snow White agrees," I should be taking it out on her."

Upon hearing that, Jiminy quickly interjects," Oh, wait. Revenge is not the answer. No, it's gonna change you. It'll turn you into something darker than you can imagine. You don't want to go there."

Snow White places a glass jar over Jiminy to silence him before declaring out to the dwarves," Good news, fellas. You can quit your complaining because I'm leaving. I have more important things to do."

" Wait. Don't go." Jiminy begs while Grumpy asks her," Snow. Wait. Where are you going?"

Snow White picks up an axe and she declares out sadistically," To kill the Queen."

Present, Storybrooke, Sheriff Department.

Emma guides Mary Margaret to the interrogation room where Regina Mills stood, awaiting them.

" Hello Miss Blanchard." Regina greets Mary Margaret as she turns to Emma, questioning out," What is she doing here?"

" She asked to be here as a third party to make sure that I stay impartial. It can only help you." Emma answers.

The pair sit down as Mary Margaret declares," I have nothing to hide. Ask me anything."

Emma switches on the tape recorder and she began the interrogation process," The heart was found buried near the old Troll Bridge. It had been cut out by what appears to be a hunting knife. Have you ever been to that bridge before?"

Mary Margaret nods," Yes, many times. It's where David and I liked to meet."

Emma stood up, shocked by Mary Margaret's formality in addressing David," Mr. Nolan?"

Mary Margaret nods," Yes."

" And you met there for what purpose?" Emma asks as she opens a cabinet. Wearing examination gloves before she takes out the jewelry box while listening to Mary Margaret answering her question," We were having an affair. I'm not proud of what happened and I'm sorry. But that doesn't change the fact that I did not kill Kathryn."

Emma places the jewelry box in front of Mary Margaret and asks her," Have you ever seen this before?"

" Yes, that's my jewelry box." Mary Margaret answers as Emma states," That's where we found the heart in."

Mary Margaret then says to Emma," Don't you see what's happening here. Someone stole that box and put the heart in it. I didn't have anything to do with it. I'm innocent."

Without waiting for Emma to speak, Regina steps in and she takes Mary Margaret 's hand, saying to her," Miss Blanchard, it's okay. I know what you're going through. I know what it's like to lose someone you love. To be publicly humiliated. It put me in a very dark place. Changed me. I can only imagine what losing David Nolan did to you."

Mary Margaret withdraws her hand, denying the whole thing," But, I haven't changed. I'm still the same person I've always been - a good person. I did not do this."

Emma then says to Regina before she can go on," Can I speak to you in the hallway, please?"

Both Emma and Regina exit the room and Emma chides Regina," I told you to leave the questioning to me."

" How do you know she didn't do it?" Regina questions Emma," If that box was stolen from her as she claims, don't you think there'd be signs of a break in? Well, you're her roommate. Tell me, has there been a break in? She's a woman who's had her heart broken. And that that can make you do unspeakable things."

Past, The Enchanted Forest, Forest

In the forest,  a Knight cladded in Black armour is riding through the woods.

Snow White hides behind a tee and watches him.

Snow White is she then throws a rock,  knocking the Black Knight off his horse.

The Black Knight groans, not knowing what happened as Snow White approaches him. Using the blunt end of the pick axe, she hits the knight's ankle, causing him to scream out in agony.

Snow White however, simply gloats at the injured knight," It'll heal. Eventually."

" What do you want?" The Black Knight winces as Snow White interrogates him," Information. Where's the Queen?"

" Why would I tell you?" The Black Knight defiantly spat and Snow White crouches down beside him and she says," Do you know what a diamond is? It's the strongest substance known to man or beast. Beautiful. Precious. Nearly impervious to destruction. Nearly."

Emphasizing on the 'nearly', she shows him her axe,

" This is an axe from the dwarves' mines. It's a special blade. It can, believe it, or not, actually cut a diamond. Imagine what it can do to human flesh. Soft, pliable, tender flesh."

She raises the axe at the crawling Black Knight and he promptly answers her question," She's at her castle. But, only for the night. In the morning she leaves for the summer palace. Please! That's all I know."

" That summer palace was build for my mother." That was all Snow White says before she swings her axe across, knocking him out.

Soon

Grumpy appears, confronting Snow White who has stripped the Black Knight of his armor and weapons and he questions her," What do you think you're doing?"

" I already told you. I'm going to kill the Queen." Snow White answers and Grumpy questions her strategy," By stealing the armor of a knight?"

" Whatever I have to do to get into that castle. So, get out of my way. I have to get there before she departs." Snow White says and Grumpy challenges her," Have you lost your mind? You really think this disguise is going to fool anybody?"

" I'm getting in there." Not wanting to listen to Grumpy, Snow White walks to the horse and Grumpy runs behind her, lashing out at the girl," Listen to yourself. All you care about is revenge. You can't even see reality anymore."

" What I don't need, is to be lectured by a dwarf with a bad attitude." Snow White spat and Grumpy says to her," I didn't come here to lecture you. I came here to help you."

" Help me? How?" Snow White questions Grumpy doubtfully.

Grumpy offers," Why not come back to us Snow? The magician Zatara is there, he can cure you."

" Sorry Grumpy, I don't think I'm in need of curing. If anything, he's just getting in my way! I don't want my memories back. That's why I took the potion. " Snow White says haughtily and Grumpy then sighs out," Fine, how about I take you to Rumplestiltskin. He's the one who gave you the potion in the first place – the one that took away all your memories of your Prince. Maybe he can at least bring you back to the person you used to be. He's the most powerful man in the world. He can do anything."

Upon hearing that, Snow White looks at him," Anything?"

Present, Storybrooke, The Blanchard loft.

Looking for signs of a break in Emma examines the door closely. She then turns to investigate the apartment's windows. At that moment, the door opens and Zatanna greets her," Hey Emma."

" Hey Zatanna, I..." Emma froze as she notices Henry next to her, questioning Henry," Henry. What are you doing here? Why aren't you in school?"

" We have to help Miss Blanchard." Henry says and Emma tries to coax him," I am helping her. That's why I'm searching the apartment. But you got to go home."

" Not going to happen." Henry refuses.

Zatanna then tries to speak up for him," Emma please. Things are looking bad for Mary Margaret so we could use all the help we can get."

Emma sighs out and she says to Henry," Fine. Just stay out of our way."

" So, what are we looking for." Henry asks,

" I'm trying to see, if, maybe, someone broke in."

Emma enters the bedroom, examining the window as she explains," Looking for busted door jambs, broken glass, muddy footprints. That kind of thing."

Henry then asks," So, you think someone's setting her up?"

" It's the only thing that makes sense. The only problem is, nobody's got a motive." Emma says.

" My mom does." Henry balantly states and Emma simply looks at him," Regina?"

" She hates Snow White." Emma and Zatanna looks at his comment and Henry shrugs," Hey, you wanted a motive."

" Hate to break it to you Henry, but I don't think "She hates Snow White." will hold up in a court, Henry." Zatanna says to him.

Emma takes a closer look at a picture standing on her desk. Tired Emma lies down on the bed. Suddenly, a rumbling noise can be heard. Searching for the source of the noise Emma removes the cover of a vent.

" Did you find something?" Henry's voice could be heard as Emma began examining the vent more closely.

Emma finds an object wrapped in a cloth. Unwrapping it, Emma picks it up.

" By the Gods." Zatanna gasps at the sight of what she saw.

Held in Emma's hand is a small hunting knife.

Granny's Diner

Later at Granny's Diner, Ruby serves Henry a cocoa with cinnamon before handing a cup of tea to Zatanna.

" Thanks Ruby." Zatanna says as she hands Ruby a couple of dollar notes.

At that moment, August Booth enters and upon seeing Henry and Zatanna together, he sat down across them and he says to Henry," I don't think that hot chocolate it's gonna drink itself."

" Not now August, please." Zatanna says and August assures her," Hey don't worry Zatanna. I'm worried about him as you are."

August then asks Henry," You're upset about your teacher, aren't you?"

" She didn't do it. Why can't anyone see that?" Henry questions out and August replies," Because most people just see what's right in front of them. I don't think you gonna find the answers you want at the bottom of that mug."

" Then where?" Henry questions and August answers by pointing at the Once Upon A Time book," That book in your bag. You know, I'm a writer. So, I'm partial to finding my answers in the literary form."

" It's just a book." Henry sighs only for August to question," Is it?"

" Yeah." Henry answers indifferently only for August to disagree with him," I think, we both know that's not the case."

He then turns to Ruby, asking her," Can I have a water, please?"

As Ruby returns, serving him a glass of water, Zatanna questions him," Alright. What has all that got to do with our situation?"" Yeah, what do you know about it?" Henry adds and August simply answers," I know it's a book of stories."

" Aren't all books?" Henry questions and August clarifies," Yes but unlike some, these are Stories that really happened."

Henry leans closer to August, his interest peaked," You think my book is real?"

August puts his hands out," As real as I am."

" How do you know?" Henry asks.

Zatanna raises an eyebrow, suspicious as August simply answers Henry's question," Let's just say that I'm a believer. And I wanna help others see the light. That, my friend, is why I'm here."

" But I already believe." Henry says but August shakes his head," Oh, I'm not here for you, buddy. I'm here for Emma."

Zatanna then jumps in, suggesting to August," So, you wanna get her to believe? Why don't you just tell her."

August answers Zatanna's question," There are some people - like him and me - we can go on faith. You who are open minded. But others - like Emma - they need proof."

Henry however, sighs out," Last time I tried to find proof I got trapped in a sinkhole."

August indicates his book to the boy as he suggests," There are less dangerous places to look."

Then, he gets up and prepares to leave, patting Henry on the shoulder. Henry opens the book and starts to read.

While Henry is reading, August stops and he looks as Zatanna is staring at her phone intendly.

Looking at the hunting knife, she thought to herself," Strange. How did this knife ended up here in all places? Something is not adding up."

Past, Enchanted Forest, Forest

Prince Charming dismounts his horse in order to examine footprints in the snow more closely. He unsheathes his sword and carefully follows them.

A few yards ahead a naked man wanders through the woods as Prince Charming points his sword, telling him," Put your hands where I can see them."

The knight turns around to face him and realizing he is naked, Prince Charming quickly stops him," Uh, on second thought, don't."

He hands the knight a blanket to cover up and he asks him," Who did this?"

The Black Knight wraps himself in the blanket as he explains to Prince Charming," She's crazy. She had a pick axe. She threatened to skin me."

" The Evil Queen?" Prince Charming asks only for the Black Knight to shake his head," No. Snow White."

Prince Charming points at the knight's throat, questioning the absurdity of the knight's answer," What?"

The Black Knight quickly raises his hands in a conciliating manner as he explains to Prince Charming," She said she wanted to kill the Queen. I've never seen someone so bloodthirsty."

Prince Charming lowers his blade, shaking his head, refusing to believe what he just heard," No. Snow's not bloodthirsty. She's not a killer. I know her."

" Maybe you don't." Prince Charming look back at the Black Knight after hearing what he said.

Present, Storybrooke, Storybrooke Town Hall.

In the Mayor's Office, Regina is busy skinning an apple with her knife when there is a knock on the door.

The door opens and David walks in, asking Regina," Hey. Can I talk to you?"

" Of course." Regina nods and David spoke," These accusations against Mary Margaret - they've been gnawing away at me. She didn't do this."

David takes a seat as Regina says to him," I understand what you're going through. It's painful when someone we care about betrays us."

" She's a good person. I know her." David objects only for Regina to disagree," Maybe, you don't. Maybe, you just want to. Everyone has a dark side, David."

" Yeah, sure, but having a dark side and doing something so evil - that's a different thing. That's not what she is." David protests.

" Perhaps. I always believe that evil isn't born. It's made." Regina states and David stood up," All due respect, Regina, I don't think you know much about evil."

" Well, if she didn't do it, then who did?" Regina questions David and he shakes his head," I don't know. That's what I've been trying to figure out. But those blackouts I've been having they've made everything so hazy."

Regina stood up and she says to David," Please tell me, you're not accusing yourself."

David then says to her," You know, maybe if I could clear up my missing time, I could prove Mary Margaret's innocence."

" You're very sweet, David. But you're also wrong. Evil doesn't always look evil. Sometimes it's starring right at us and we don't even realize it." Regina says.

Sheriff Department.

Back in the sheriff department, Emma listens as a shockedMary Margaret states," The heating vent? Emma, I don't even know where the heating vent in my bedroom is."

" Someone did and they put a hunting knife in there. I checked for signs of a break in, but there weren't any." Emma says as Mary Margaret stares at her with hints of betrayal in her eyes," You don't believe me."

" Of course I do. But, what I think doesn't matter. Evidence is piling up by the hour." Emma says

Mary Margaret: Okay, what are you saying?

Emma: I'm saying you should think about hiring a lawyer.

" An excellent idea." A raspy voice causes Emma to turn around, seeing Zatanna with Mr. Gold standing in the doorway.

Emma then asks Zatanna," Zatanna. What is Mr. Gold doing here?"

Zatanna simply answer," I hired him..." As Mr. Gold finishes her sentence," To offer my legal services."

Emma stares at him, shocked," Wait. You're a lawyer?"

Mr. Gold explains," Ever wondered, why I'm so adept at contracts? I've been following the details of your case, Miss Blanchard. And I think you'd be well advised to bring me on as your counsel."

" Well, because the sheriff had me arrested for nearly beating a man to death and managed to persuade the judge to drop the charges." Mary Margaret sarcastically remarks over Mr. Gold's past assault case.

" Asserting your influence isn't what's needed here. We need to find the truth." Emma says but Mr. Gold disagrees," Asserting influence may be exactly what's needed here."

" What's needed here, is me to do my job." Emma insists only for Mr. Gold to simply say," Well, no one's stopping you. I'm only here to help."

" Enough. Please go." Mary Margaret says and Emma sides with her," You heard her."

However, much to Emma's surprise, Mary Margaret clarifies her earlier statement," No, I was talking to you."

Zatanna then says to Emma," Look Emma. I may not like him as much as the next guy but right now things are not looking good right now so I'm getting all the help I can get otherwise Mary Margaret is screwed. So how about you go ahead first and I'll help you find more evidence to prove her innocence."

Mr. Gold adds in," This is in Miss Blanchard's best interests."

Emma nods and she says to Zatanna," Alright sis. I hope you know what you're doing."

She then exits the room as Mr. Gold smiles, watching her go.

Mary Margaret looks as Zatanna then brings Mr. Gold away from her, asking," Alright, how much do you want?" Only for Mr. Gold to simply refuse," I didn't ask for money."

" Then why are you doing this?" Zatanna questions," Are you planning something?"

Mr. Gold turns to look at Mary Margaret as he answers Zatanna's question," Let's just say, I'm invested in her future."

Past, Enchanted Forest, The Dark castle.

Inside the Dark Castle, Rumpelstiltskin listens while spinning straw into gold as Zatara says to him accusingly," The potion you gave Snow. It changed her. She's not the same."

Rumpelstiltskin shrugs, " Well, of course it changed her. It took away her love. Left a big hole in her heart. There's no cure for what she's got. The person she was, there's no way to bring her back. Surely you know that as a magic user yourself."

" I could remove the spell myself, but she wouldn't let me." Zatara says and Rumpelstiltskin giggles,

" Hee hee! See that's your problem. You let these mortals make their choices and look where it gets them. Hope your little girl doesn't end up like you."

" Hey you leave my dad alone!" Zatanna lashes out and Zatara quickly stops her," Enough Zatanna. As much as I hate to admit it, he's right." Rumpeltitlskin grins in amusement," See. At least you didn't stir up much ruckus despite barging into my home without an invitation."

At that moment, Snow White enters the room and Rumpelstiltskin asks her," Now, what is it you really want?"

Snow White states," I want your help. To kill the Queen."

" Now we're talking, dearie." Rumpelstiltskin cackles out in malicious delight.

" Snow, don't!" Grumpy protests but Zatara and Zatanna stops him," I'm sorry Grumpy. There's nothing I could do to change her mind."

" Glad you see it that way. Now leave, you're ruining the mood!" Rumpelstiltskin growls and Zatara reluctantly turns around, taking his friend and daughter with him.

As the trio leaves, Rumpelstiltskin provides a bow with a new string and Snow White asks," Now, what is this?"

" This is how you kill the Queen." Rumpelstiltskin answers.

Snow White looks at it confused and she asks,

" How will that help me getting into the castle?"

Rumplstiltskin however, shakes his head,

" No, no, no. That's impossible. You'll have to kill her when she's on the move. When she's on her way to the summer palace."

Using magic he produces a map and then indicates a location to Snow White, he instructs," Fire the arrow from this spot here and you'll be hidden from sight. An arrow fired from this bow will get you exactly what you need. It always finds it target."

Rumpelstiltskin giggles as Snow White faces him, taking the weapon as she asks," So, what do I have to do in return?"

" Do? You don't have to do anything, dearie." Rumpelstiltskin says.

Snow White stares at him, doubtful at his seemingly charitable attitude," Everything comes with a price with you. Last time you took a strand of my hair. What's in it for you this time?"

Rumpelstiltskin simply answer," Let's just say, I'm invested in your future."

Present, Storybrooke, Hopper Psychiatry Office.

Standing outside of Hopper's office, David knocks on the door.

The door opens and Archie Hopper notices David, asking him," David. What can I do for you?"

David cut to the chase," Dr. Hopper, I need your help."

Archie Hopper steps aside so that David can enter the room and he asks him," Okay, what... what is it?"

David explains," I've been having these blackouts and I need to remember what happened during them."

" Why?" Archie asks as David answers," I think I might know something that can help Mary Margaret."

Archie nods and he closes the door to begin the session.

Past, Enchanted Forest, Dark Castle.

A few minutes after Snow White left, Prince Charming enters the Dark Castle, demanding out," Rumpelstiltskin. Show yourself."

" Still dressing like a prince I see. Even though you ran away from the life I gave you. How's that for gratitude?" Prince Charming turns, seeing Rumpelstitlskin standing behind him.

Prince Charming dismisses what Rumpelstiltskin said," You gave me a prison sentence."

" Yeah, one that you've now skirted. Careful dearie, King George is a vengeful man." Rumpelstilskin warns.

Prince Charming wastes no time and he says," I'm here about Snow. Rumor has it, she's after the Queen and she came to you for help."

Rumplestiltskin nods," Yes, indeed."

As Prince Charming draws his sword, Rumplestiltskin quickly jumps out of reach," What did I do to her? You mean, what did you do to her. You caused her pain. Without that pain she would never have drank my potion to forget about you. That's what changed her."

" Undo the potion. All magic can be broken." Prince Charming requests and Rumpelstiltskin nod," Oh, yes. With true love."

Prince Charming stares at him," So, that's it then? True love's kiss will awaken her?"

" Most certainly, but it's gonna be hard to kiss her, when you don't know where she is. Rumpelstiltskin says before laughing out.

Prince Charming sheaths his sword and he says," Name your price."

Rumplestiltskin takes a moment to consider the offer before pointing at his cloak," How about your cloak?"

Prince Charming looks at him, surprised by this strange request," My cloak? Why would you want my cloak?"

" It's drafty in here." Rumpelstiltskin giggles.

Prince Charming takes off his cloak, giving it to him as he asks," Where is she?"

" On her way to the Queen's highway." Once again he magically produces the map he'd showed Snow earlier and Rumpelstiltskin continues," This is the route she's taking."

He hands Prince Charming the map, and he emphasizes on the urgency of the matter," But you'd better be quick, because, if she kills the Queen, she becomes as evil as the woman whose life she takes."

Prince Charming shakes his head in disbelief," She could never become that evil."

Prince Charming hurriedly leaves the castle as Rumpelstiltskin calls out to him," Evil isn't born, dearie. It's made. If Snow starts down that road, you'll never get her back."

Soon

Tentatively Snow bends the Enchanted Bow, readying her weapon she is about to use to assassinate the Evil Queen.

At that moment, Prince Charming ambushes her from behind, grabbing onto her.

Snow White struggles to break free, screaming out," Get your hands off me!"

" Snow!" Prince Charming shouts while Snow White continues to fight him, questioning out," Who are you? What are you doing?"

Prince Charming grabs her by the face and he says," Helping you to remember."

He plants his lips into Snow White's, kissing her.

He smiles as he pulls away, assuring her while assuming he has cured her," I told you I will always find you."

But surprisingly, Snow White punches him across the face, knocking him out.

Present, Storybrooke, Apartment

Emma and Zatanna are climbing up the stairs to the Blanchard Apartment as Emma says to Zatanna," I still don't think we should trust Mr. Gold."

" We're not, but his expertise should buy us some time to prove her innocence while we find evidence." Zatanna explains.

The two women stops as they look, seeing Henry sitting in front of the apartment door waiting for them, pleased," I have proof."

Henry shows the pair a ring of several skeleton keys, saying to the two," This is how my mom got in your apartment. This is how she framed Miss Blanchard."

" Did you steal these from her office?" Emma sternly questions as she takes the keys from Henry's hand.

Henry nod," Yeah, the book said, they could open any door."

Emma examines the keys, refusing to believe," There's no way they'll even fit in the lock."

" We have to try." Henry insists as he walks up to the door. Taking one key, Henry tries to use to open the door but to no luck. Henry tries out a second key. Again he's unable to open the apartment's door.

Emma watches Henry and she says,

" See, what did I tell you? Come on, Henry, I know you wanna think the answer to everything is in Operation Cobra."

" It is." Henry says but Emma interrupts him," But sometimes the real world needs to come first."

As she takes out her personal key to open the door, Henry quickly begs her," Just try one more. Please."

Zatanna also coaxes Emma," Yeah, just give him one more chance. What harm could it be?"

Emma sighs out and she nods," Okay. One more, but then we're done."

" You do it." Henry says as he carefully picks a key. He pulls out one which bow is decorated with an apple-shaped ornament before handing it to her," This one."

" Okay." Emma nods. She puts in the key, turns it and it successfully unlocks the door, prompting Henry to smile," Do you believe now?"

Past, Enchanted Forest, Forest

Prince Charming wakes up from the blow he receives from Snow White.

As he tries to get up, he looks down, realizing that he's tied to a tree.

" Snow." Prince Charming begs as he struggles to break free while Snow White stands over him, saying," I assume you are the man Rumpelstiltskin helped me forget. What's your name again?"

Prince Charming tries to refresh her memory," It's me. Charming."

Upon hearing that name, Snow White scoffs out," Charming? Beginning to see why I drank that potion."

Prince Charming struggles to break free as he expresses out his confusion," This doesn't make any sense. True love's kiss should've restored your memories."

" It's not true love because I don't love you." Snow White says to Prince Charming coldly and he quickly insists," Yes, you do. You just don't remember. You love me and I love you."

Snow White picks up her bundle and the bow and she mocks him," Words. Words. Words. That's all that love is. And unfortunately for you, words don't mean anything to me. You know what does mean something to me? Taking action. And that's exactly what I'm going to do."

As she began walking away, Prince Charming shouts at her," Snow. Snow!"

Snow White stops and faces him as Prince Charming says to her," Listen to me. You can't do this. It's not who you wanna be. You can't kill her."

" Really? Watch me." Snow White says coldly, turning away to leave as she ignores Prince Charming's cries," Don't do it, Snow. Snow!"

Present, Storybrooke, Hopper Psychiatry Office.

Archie sits over a David whose eyes are closed and he says," David, listen very closely. Can you hear me?"

" Yes." David answers.

" Good. Okay. I want you to go back in your memory. Back to the last time you and Kathryn spoke. The last thing you remember. Tell me, where are you?" Archie asks and David replies," In my bedroom."

" When?" Archie asks and David answers," The night she left."

Archie then probes further," And what were you doing?"

" I called her on her cell." David replies as Archie adds another question," And what did you talk about?"

David replies," She said she'd realized she needed to start a new life. Without me. She thought Mary Margaret and I should be together."

Archie nods," And how did that conversation end?"

" She said she was hurt but she wanted me to be happy." David says and

Archie asks," And do you remember anything after that?"

David answer," Yes, I saw Mary Margaret in the woods."

Archie asks," And what was she doing there?"

David remembers his previous memories in fragments.

He remembers that Snow White knocked Prince Charming out and tied him to a tree, hearing his own voice shouting to Snow White," You can't kill her."

" Really? Watch me." A voice sounding like Snow White replies followed by his own helpless plea," You can't kill her. Don't do it."

" David! David!" Shocked David opens his eyes as he sees Dr. Hopper looking at him in concern and he asks him," What happened?"

Archie explains," I had to wake you up. You went too deep into hypnosis. Something was disturbing you. What did you see?"

David stammers." It was..."

" What? Tell me, David. I can help you." Archie persuades David only for him to hurriedly gets up and heads for the door.

Archie Hopper quickly stops him," David. David, tell me. What did you see? I can help you."

" You can't." That was all David answers before leaving, ignoring Archie Hopper's shouts," David! David!"

Past, Enchanted Forest, Forest

After Snow White left, Prince Charming struggles to free himself.

At that moment, Jiminy Cricket approaches him.

Mistakening him for a normal insect, Prince Charming tries to shoo the cricket away," Go on. Get out of here!"

" You must be James." Jiminy Cricket says, shocking Prince Charming at the relevation of a talking insect," You can talk?"

Jiminy Cricket nod," Yeah, and you can listen. Name is Jiminy. When Snow began to act differently, her friends, the dwarves along with Zatara and his daughter asked me to intervene."

Jiminy lights himself on Charming's arm, finishing his sentence dejectingly," But I'm... I'm afraid I wasn't much help."

Prince Charming nods," I didn't do any better. Can you get me out of here? I have to stop her."

Jiminy Cricket shrugs," Well, I'll try."

As Jiminy began gnawing on the ropes, he asks while chewing," What's your plan?"

Prince Charming sighs out in exasperation," I don't know. I tried everything to make her remember who I am, but nothing worked."

Jiminy Cricket stops and he says to Prince Charming," Give that a try."

Pulling on the ropes once again, the rope loosens around Prince Charming as he frees himself.

Hovering a moment longer Jiminy faces Prince Charming and he advices him," Hm, it sounds like you're approaching this the wrong way. How can she remember who you are, when she's lost sight of who she is."

Soon

Accompanied by Black Knights, the Evil Queen rides through the forest passing village folk as one of them shouts at the villagers," Clear the road. Bow your head before the Queen."

In the woods above them Snow White carefully sneaks closer to the specified position. Then Snow bends the bow and looses an arrow as the Evil Queen passes the road beneath.

However, at that moment, Prince Charming jumps into the way, which instead of the Evil Queen the arrow struck Prince Charming's shoulder.

Shocked by this, Snow White quickly goes to his side, questioning his action," What do you think you're doing? Why would you do this?"

Prince Charming groans in pain as he explains," Well, because you said you appreciate action more than words. So now, you gonna get both. I love you, Snow."

Snow White shakes her head," But I don't love you. I don't even remember you."

Although in pain, Prince Charming winces as he continues," I don't care. The only thing I care about is that you don't forget who you really are. I would rather die than let you fill your heart with darkness."

" You would really die for me?" Snow White questions out in shock as Prince Charming smiles," Does it look like I'm making this up?"

" No one has ever done anything like this for me before. No one has ever been willing to die for me." Snow White gasps out as Prince Charming wheezes," No one you can remember."

Prince Charming doubles over in pain and Snow White leans closer, kissing him as the spell breaks.

Snow White looks down, remembering Prince Charming as she smiles and exclaims out," Charming!"

Prince Charming: smiles back," Yes, it's me."

As they kiss again, right at that moment, the sounds of horses could be heard before surrounding the pair.

Looking around Prince Charming recognizes King George's knights and he mutters,

" King George's army."

He quickly pulls Snow's hood up. The knights approach them and separate Snow and Prince Charming seizing both of them by the arms.

" No." Snow White protests as one of the

knights recognises Prince Charming," Prince James."

He pulls the arrow out of Prince Charming's shoulder and he instructs his men," Leave the girl. We have who we came for."

The knights drop Snow White to the ground as Prince Charming shouts out in protest, " No!"

The knights drag him with them as Snow White shouts to him," James!"

Using the hilt of his sword one knight strikes her in the head, knocking Snow White out. The other knights shove Prince Charming in a carriage.

Intending to kill Snow the knight raises his sword

" No!" Prince Charming shouts in protest and the Knight orders his man," Enough!"

The carriage begins to move, taking Prince Charming away. Giving Snow one last look her guard decides to follow his companions

" Snow! Snow!" Prince Charming shouts as Snow White slowly opens her eyes, muttering out," James."

" Snow." Prince Charming's shouts fades as Snow White vows to Prince Charming," I will find you. I will always find you."

Present, Storybrooke, Storybrooke Sheriff Department.

In the Sheriff Department, David approaches Mary Margaret's cell, greeting her," Mary Margaret."

Upon seeing him, Mary Margaret smiles as she greets him," David."

" Emma said we could have a few minutes alone. I wanted to tell you, that Dr. Hopper helped me remember what happened during my blackouts." David explains.

Mary Margaret then asks," And?"

" Um, I only... got pieces of the memory. We were in the woods." Mary Margaret nods as David finishes his sentence,"...and I kept saying 'don't do it'."

Mary Margaret looks at him, confused," Don't do what?"

" Don't kill her. That's what I kept saying." David answers.

" Kathryn. You think you remember wanting to kill Kathryn." Mary Margaret asks and David asks her back," Can you explain why I have that memory?"

Mary Margaret stares at him, shocked at the accusation," David? Are you asking me, if I had something to do with Kathryn's murder?"

David nods," The Sheriff found a heart in our spot. It was in your jewelry box. The weapon was found in your apartment. I have these... these memories. So, yes, I'm asking."

" When you phone records came back, when I found you wandering in the woods, when everyone thought you killed Kathryn, I stood by you." Mary Margaret began crying, feeling betrayed," I never once doubted you. And now, that everything is pointing to me, you actually think I'm capable of that kind of evil? Get out!"

She turns away crying as David nods and leaves the station.

Past, Enchanted Forest,Dwarves' Cottage

The dwarves are sitting together, enjoy their supper when Snow White enters from the front door.

Snow White places a mug in front of Happy on the table and Grumpy looks up, asking her," What's this?"

" An apology." Snow White apologetically answers.

Happy gives her a smile as Grumpy says to her dismissively," We don't care about mugs."

" It's the only thing I broke, I could replace. I'm sorry. All I can say is, I'm sorry." Snow White apologizes, ashamed of her actions.

Realization struck Grumpy as he stood up, gasping at the relevation that the curse is broken,
" It's you."

Snow White nods," It's me."

Laughing the dwarves hug Snow White as Happy welcomes her," Welcome back. You can have your old room, if you like."

Snow White smiles but she declines," Thank you. I can't stay."

" Where are you going?" Grumpy asks and Snow White replies," King George took James. I have to get him back."

Grumpy quickly shakes his head," No, Snow. You can't do it."

Snow White objects," I can't let the king just kill him. He came back for me. It doesn't matter what happens to me now. I have to try."

However, Grumpy clarifies his word," That's not what I meant. What I meant was, you can't do it alone."

He turns around, facing his brothers as the dwarves nod in unison.

" But, luckily, you won't have to." Grumpy says as they fetch their axes with Grumpy declaring out," Let's show that king what Snow White and seven dwarves can really do."

" Don't forget us." Snow White looks up and she smiles, seeing Zatara and Zatanna stepping out of a room.

" Don't worry Snow. We got your back." Zatanna says, adding to her father's sentence.

Present, Storybrooke., Sheriff's Department

The next morning. Mary Margaret is making her bed.

At that moment, something falls to the ground.

Kneeling down Mary Margaret picks up what looks like a skeleton key. The key's bow is decorated with a skull-shaped ornament.

After a moment's consideration Mary Margaret decides to try out if the key fits the cell's door.

Mary Margaret turns and to her surprise, it successfully opens the cell.

Right at that moment, Mary Margaret heard the sound of approaching footsteps, causing her to quickly locks the door again and hides the key behind her back.

Emma enters the office as she greets her," Hey breakfast."

As she hands her a coffee and a small bag, Mary Margaret thanks her," Thanks. Where's Zatanna?"

Emma answers," She went to settle something. Now I know Mr. Gold doesn't want us to talk, but I thought, you should hear this from me. There are enough evidence to move forward with a case against you. It's going to happen. You know I do believe you, right?"

Mary Margaret nods as Emma continues," All this evidence tells me one thing for certain. That you are being framed. And I think Regina is behind it."

" Then why am I still in here? Why don't you confront her?" Mary Margaret questions and Emma answers," Because belief is not proof."

" But, you just said..." Before Mary Margaret could go on, Emma interrupts her," If I don't do this right, things will end up worse for you. Every time I've gone up against Regina, she's seen it coming, and I've lost."

" So, what makes this time any different?" Mary Margaret questions out and Emma replies," Because she doesn't know I suspect anything."

Mary Margaret shakes her head, confused over everything that had happened," Why would she do this to me?"

Emma shakes her head," I don't know, but I sure you we are going to find out. And I promise, as long as me and Zatanna are in town, we won't stop until we expose what she's up to."

" And how are you going to do that? This is her town." Mary Margaret questions as Emma simply answer," We're working on it. I have faith in you. And now, I need you to have faith in us. Can you do that?"

Mary Margaret nods," Of course."

Emma smiles and she turns around, leaving the Sheriff Department.

Once Emma is out of sight, Mary Margaret looks thoughtfully at the key in her hand.

Mr. Gold Pawnbroker & Antiquities Dealer

Meanwhile in Mr. Gold Pawnshop, Mr. Gold takes a Genie's Lamp from the shelf as he carefully inspects it.

At that moment, Zatanna enters and she greets Mr. Gold," Good morning, Mr. Gold."

Mr. Gold turns and he says to her," Just taking inventory."

He sits down and he asks Zatanna,"What can I do for you, Miss Zatara? Any developments in the case I should be aware of?"

Zatanna then cuts to the chase," Alright, so Emma suspects that Regina is setting Mary Margaret up.

" And this surprises you? Show me your evidence and we'll get this over with immediately." Mr. Gold says but Zatanna says to him," Yeah. That's the thing. There isn't any. Anything that's court-worthy. But I know it now."

Mr. Gold then smirks," Look, who's suddenly become a woman of faith. Why are you here, Miss Zatara? It's not like you to come to me for help."

Zatanna says to him," Trust me, I may not like it as much as you do but I'm doing this for Emma. Every time she gone up against Regina, she lost. Except for once, when she became Sheriff. When you helped."

Mr. Gold shrugs," Well she won't exactly approve of my methods."

" But I do and I approve of your results. And this time I have something more important than a job. I need to save my friend." Zatanna says and

Mr. Gold picks up a magnifying glass and he asks her," And you're willing to go as far as it takes? "

" Farther." That was all Zatanna need to answer before Mr. Gold nods," Now, we're talking. Fear not, Miss Zatara. Regina may be powerful, but something tells me, Miss Swan is more powerful than we both know."

Zatanna then says to him," Well I hope you will deliver with your promise."

" Don't worry Miss. Zatara, one thing your father knows about me is that I don't break deals."Mr. Gold says as he examines the Genie's lamp closely with his magnifying glass.

Past, Enchanted Forest, Dark Castle.

With a magnifying glass in hand, Rumpelstiltskin closely examines Prince Charming's cloak.

Using a tweezer Rumpelstiltskin carefully plucks a strain of hair stuck on it.

After taking a closer look at it through the magnifying glass he adds the hair to a potion standing on the table.

Giggling Rumpelstiltskin watches Charming's hair merging with Snow's. Then he walks to the cupboard which stores various potions.

Carefully, he places the bottle in the empty holding area labeled with a heart. Pleased with his relevation, Rumpelstiltskin giggles again.

Present, Storybrooke, Storybrooke Sheriff Department.

In the Sheriff's Department, Mary Margaret's cell is empty.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.5K 639 46
Hi my name is Claire. I have lived in this town in Maine for as long as I can remember but, recently everyone seems to think I'm crazy. They think th...
46.6K 800 31
You are Emma Swan's older sister, when she breaks the curse, what's left for you? When you and your mom and sister are sucked through a portal you ne...
881 12 20
OUAT fanfic This picks up after the end of Season 4 and is basically my version of the first half of season 5. All rights go to ABC and Once Upon A...
14.6K 419 38
Regina rescues a child from her abusive father and raises her as her own. Since Rose wants to make Regina proud she would do anything for her. But ev...