The Bending of Life

By Flint125

Kenna is a 17 year old 'orphan' trying her hardest to live a good life with her friends and the little money... More

Whats in the past, stays in the past
THE BENDING OF LIFE
A/N
Concerning updating...
Leaf in the wind (p.1)
Leaf in the wind (p.2)
The Revelation (p.1)
The Revelation (p.2)
The Voice in the Night (p.1)
The Voice in the Night (p.2)
Quick little A/N
The Voice in the Night (p.3)
The Spirit of Compition (p.1)
The Spirit of Competition (p.2)
The Spirit of Competition (p.3)
And the Winner is... (p.1)
And The Winner Is... (P.2)
And The Winner Is... (P.3)
The Aftermath (P.1)
The Aftermath (P.3)
When Extremes Meet (P.1)
Concerning rewrites
Concerning rewrites P.2
When Extremes Meet (P.2)
When Extremes Meet (P.3)
Out Of The Past
Turning The Tides (P.1)

The Aftermath (P.2)

618 19 5
By Flint125

A/N
Guess who's not dead? This gal.
Did I have you fooled? Probably not. Anyhow. Next chapter's up, took me what? 8 months. That's pathetic and I apologise.
Flint125

Pretty cool, huh?" Asami asks, turning to Korra with a small smile as the rest of us stare down at the sprawling race track. Far below, Satomobile screeched around corners, tyres spinning as they raced to cross the finish line first.

"Way cooler than a makeover," Korra answered, still gazing down at the track, her eyes full of light and amazement.

"This is where Future Industries test-drives their Satomobiles," Asami explained as the two vehicles roared over the line, skidding to a stop before the drivers jumped out and shared a fist bump. "Ever been behind the wheel?"

"The only thing I know how to drive is a polar bear dog," the Avatar answered, her cheeks heating slightly in embarrassment.

"You want me to take you for a spin?" Asami suggested, smiling at the grin that overtook Korra's face

"Let's do it!" Korra whooped, jumping to her feet enthusiastically and allowing Asami to lead the way down to the tracks. From where I was sitting beside the boys, I could hear them murmuring quietly as they placed their bets, Bolin betting on the opposing driver while Mako bet on Asami.

"Who do you think'll win, Ken?" Bo asked, turning to face me as I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees.

"Asami will take it out easy. She's got game, and she's not just pretty looks," I answered, grinning when the two cars shot off from the start, engines roaring up to the stands as they sped away expertly.

It seemed for the first half a lap that I may have overestimated Asami, her Satomobile falling further and further behind. But there was a sudden shift in atmosphere as the vehicles roared over half way, Asami speeding ahead and managing to shimmy around the outside of her opponent, back wheel clipping the wall.

It was obvious that the second driver was itching to win, for at every turn, he tried to weave around Asami, but the Sato heir just turned out to be too good. Her control was flawless, the Satomobile sweeping around each corner effortlessly, blocking the opposition from passing until the final stretch. As a last-ditch effort, the second driver goes for a drastic pass, but his front tire clips Asami's rear and he goes spinning off the track.

"Yeah, Asami!" I yelled, the three of us on our feet and cheering as Asami pulled her car into a stop, stepping triumphantly from her vehicle and waving enthusiastically. "She crushed it!"

XXX

"Emergency, emergency coming through, beep beep!" Bolin yells as he runs past the rest of our group, trooping for the downstairs bathroom. I snorted at his retreating figure, Pabu chittering excitedly from where he lay across my shoulders.

"Uh, is there another bathroom I can use?" Korra asked with a chuckle, gesturing after Bolin and around the lobby area.

"We have a lady's powder room upstairs," Asami answers, pointing up the impressive grand staircase as Mako moved to her side. "First door on your right. You can freshen up in there."

"Thanks," the Avatar nodded, before moving off, climbing the great stair and disappearing from view. Mako, Asami and I stood in what I would call an awkward silence, although it was probably only awkward for my part.

The couple were sharing brief kisses, occasionally laughing airily at a whispered few words. I huffed after a moment more, walking forward to sit at the base of the staircase, staring at the opposite wall and playing with Pabu. I brought a spark of fire to my palm, flicking the harmless flame across the marble stairs and laughing when Pabu went skittering after it.

I stayed like this for a few minutes, until Bolin came back with a relieved sigh, butler in tow. The younger brother turned to the butler with his arms spread, and the butler dutifully raised a perfume bottle. In classic Bolin comicness, he continued to turn, the butler hitting a different angle with the scented spray.

"Bolin, leave the poor butler alone!" I chided with a laugh, the look on the butler's face one of concealed anger. I was still laughing when a blur of blue went bounding past, Korra running for the door.

"You're leaving? But I-I thought ..." Asami started as she turned after the retreating Avatar, only to be cut off.

"Uh, sorry! I forgot, I'm supposed to airsit, I mean babybend, I-I mean babysit the airbender kids," Korra fumbled her words, spinning around to face us all while walking backwards. "See you later!"

And with that, she spun on her heel and ran, springing down the front steps while whistling for Naga. The four three of us shared a questioning look, before I simply shrugged and we went on with the day.

XXX

It was around midday the next day when there was a forceful knock on the front door, snapping the relaxed atmosphere that had been hanging over the downstairs library, the four of us climbing to our feet and making for the lobby as a butler swept past.

The gargantuan front door was pulled open to reveal Chief Beifong, Tenzin and Korra standing on the front porch. Lin pushed her way inside, sending a glare around the lobby and catching sight of me from where I stood with Mako and Asami.

"Kenna, with me," Lin ordered, making for the grand stair with Tenzin close behind. I shared a look with Mako, my eyes wide as I followed after the commanding Chief of Police. She led down a short corridor, past the lady's powder room and stopping by the door to Hiroshi's study.

Tenzin knocked on the study door, and there was a muffed call to enter. Lin pushed the door open with malice, striding in as Tenzin urged me in as second. Hiroshi's eyes landed on me, and there was a subtle shift within them, a glint of disgust and rage flickering for but a moment before it was gone.

"Ah, Chief Beifong, Councilman Tenzin, how may I help you on this fine day?" Hiroshi Sato asked politely, that look of hate completely smothered by his usual niceties, which I was beginning to think of as nothing but a mask.

"Mr. Sato, we just have a few follow-up questions for you," the Police Chief answered coolly, her arms crossed as she stood before Hiroshi's oak desk, hip jutted to the side. Mr Sato opened his mouth to speak, but he was interrupted by the study door being flung open and Asami striding in.

"My father is innocent. Just because we're not benders doesn't mean we support those awful Equalists," she hissed decisively, shooting Lin, Tenzin and I looks of betrayal and ice. Behind her, Mako followed with Korra trailing behind, her head hung and shoulders slumped.

"Equalists?" Mr Sato exclaimed innocently, Asami moving to stand by her father's side. "Is that what this is about? I can assure you I have nothing to do with those radicals."

"Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about, Korra," Mako spat, hardly trying to stay civil in such a tense situation. He turned to me suddenly, his jaw clenched and eyes ablaze. "And you, Kenna. I never expected you to go along with something this ridiculous so easily!"

"Calm down, Mako," I growled lowly, stepping forward and rising to my full height, knowing full well that all eyes were on me. "I knew nothing of this until this morning, same time as you. So, I would much appreciate it if you got off my back for acting ridiculously when you're making yourself out to be a complete buffoon."

"You call me a buffoon, when Korra blatantly accuses our host of being an Equalist, with no proof!" Mako shot back, turning his wrath back on Korra.

"I overheard you on the phone," the Avatar started in defence, pointing to Mr Sato over his large desk. "You said the Cabbage Corp investigation bought you time, and you're getting ready to strike. Explain that!"

Hiroshi stared blankly for a moment, before a spark of amusement lit up in his eyes and he released a rumbling chuckle.

"This is all just a misunderstanding, resulting from the young Avatar's overactive imagination," the technological genius laughed, waving in Korra's direction dismissively. "My number one competitor was knocked out of the game. It's providing me an opportunity to strike the market with a new line of Satomobiles. It's just business. Nothing nefarious."

Lin and Tenzin shared a glance, before the Police Chief's eyes landed on me for a second time in the past 10 minutes. I averted my eyes, looking at the floor.

"In order to put all suspicions to rest, might we have a look into your factories and warehouses?" Tenzin asked, deploying his skills as a fine mediator to try and defuse the tense atmosphere.

Asami sighed in frustration, resting her hands on her hips in defiance, a stark contrast to the calm demeanor of her father, simply raising a hand to bar her from snapping off a comment.

"If you feel it's necessary, you're welcome to search all of Future Industries," Hiroshi conceded, and with a sharp nod, Lin exited the office.

XXX

Hours later, long after night had fallen and with fruitless yield after fruitless yield under the belts of the cops, the metal benders were lifted into the awaiting police airship, Tenzin and Lin watching below.

I stood by the entrance to the factory, surrounded by opened crates as I crouched down, placing my hands to the coarse rock to send weak vibrations through the earth, searching for anything that may have been missed.

Korra rode up after a moment or two, looking hopeful as she pulled Naga to a stop. I sighed as I stood, brushing my hands off on my pants.

"Anything?" That Avatar asked, groaning when I shook my head in response. She held a hand down to me, and I accepted her help as she hefted me up onto the back of Naga. "This is infuriating!"

"Steady Kor, not much we can do about it," I soothed, gripping the edge of Naga's saddle as Korra kicked her off towards Lin and Tenzin. "Whatever it is we're looking for, he just manages to hide it better than most dirty thugs."

"We found nothing," Korra spat as she jumped down beside the Chief, and I scrambled to take up the slack on Naga's reins, easing her to a gentle stop before slipping off her back myself.

"It would appear Hiroshi is innocent," Lin said uneasily, flicking her eyes over to a pair of approaching figures. Asami stormed over with mako following close behind, her expression a facade of barely concealed rage.

"Okay, you did your search. Now you can all leave," the Sato heir hissed as she drew to a stop before the four of us, arms crossed tightly over her chest. Lin returned her glare, releasing a distatined hum at Asami's command.

Mako gestured for Korr and I to follow, before trudging off, out of earshot of the other three. When he deemed us far enough away, he wheeled around, a deathly glare on his face.

"So, I hope your're both convinced now," he growled, flicking his eyes back to Asami.

"No, I'm not!" Korra replied formly, crossing her arms in defiance. "I don't care how cooperative Hiroshi is being. I know he's lying."

"Why are you doing this?" he asked quietly, sighing as he flicked his gaze between myself and the Avatar. He points a finger at Korra, jabbing it in her face. "Are you that jealous of me and Asami?"

"What?!" Korra gasps, taking a small step back, shaking her head angrily. "Don't be ridiculous! That has nothing too do with it!"

"If you don't drop this, consider our friendship over," Mako stated, tone quiet, flat.

"I'm sorry," the Avatar murmured softly, looking down at her feet before looking back up at him, eyes hard. "Hisroshi is not the man you think he is."

Korra turns on her heel and strides back to Tenzin and Lin, leaving me alone with Mako. He closed his eyes, shaking his head with a heavy and disappointed sigh, before focusing back on me.

"What about you? Do you believe Korra, despite her lack of proof?"

"You may not believe her, but I see no reason for her to lie," I shrugged, face emotionless.

"So, you choose her side?" he asked, and I looked at him with narrowed eyes.

"Why must there be sides? Why can't you just give her the benefit of the doubt, and wait until this is all over, no matter the outcome," I hissed, fists balling at my sides. I took a step back, shaking my head angrily. "Why must things so trivial tear us apart, over and over again?"

"Forget it, Kenna," Mako snapped, huffing a humourless laugh. "No matter how 'trivial' Korra's claims are, they're still ridiculous."

He walked away at that point, making back for Asami. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder, pressing a kiss to the side of her head before steering them away, leaving Korra, Tenzin and Lin to talk in hushed tones.

Korra moved away as I walked over, calling for Naga.

"What happens now?" I asked, turning to the Chief with a question in my eyes.

"I don't know, kid," she sighed, rubbing her fingertips to her temples. "I don't want to throw away this investigation, but I have no backing to continue after coming up empty today."

Korra ran back over, waving a small piece of paper in her hands.

"I think you guys should hear this!" she called as she skidded to a stop, unfolding the paper and handing it to me.

"If you want to find the truth, meet me under the north end of the Silk Road Bridge at midnight," I read, brows furrowed, glancing up to the Avatar. "Where did you get this?"

"A worker placed it in my hand without my knowing, I don't know who it was," Korra replied, face falling a little.

"Doesn't matter," Lin cut in, drawing both Korra and mine's attention. "It's a lead. And at this stage, we have no choice but to pursue it."

XXX

The four of us moved slowly to the north end of the Silk Road Bridge, moving in between bands of light and shadow cast from the street lanterns. A worker form one of Hiroshi's warehouses leaned against the side of the bridge, standing in one of the pools of shadow, his silhouette beckoning for us to approach.

"Psst, over here."

"What do you have to say?" I asked quietly as we drew to a stop before him, Tenzin and Lin glancing around cautiously. "Speak quickly."

"Listen, I joined the Equalists because I believed in what Amon said," the worker explained quietly, sighing heavily as he looked down at his tattered boots. "I thought he could make life better for us nonbenders. But I didn't sign up for this.... This war."

"What do you have on Hisroshi Sato?" the Chief asked coolly, her eyes holding curiosity.

"He manufactured those gloves... for the Equalists," the worker answered, turning his back to the four of us.

"I knew it!" Korra exclaimed, her eyes shining. The smile that had been growing on her face dropped when she noticed the deep frown on my face, and the scowls on the two adults faces.

"And there's rumours he's working on something even bigger," the worker continued, lifting the collar of his jacket to hide his face, glancing around nervously. "Some new kind of weapon."

"We searched all of Future Industries and found nothing," Tenzin interjected, glancing from the worker to Lin with obvious confusion, lifting a hand.

"That's because he has a secret factory," the man said softly, and the expression on Lin's face dropped.

"Where?" Korra asked firmly, crossing her arms.

"It's right underneath the Sato mansion."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.5K 733 19
When Korra Waters moves to a new high school she is forced to hide her secret that no high school teenager should go through. When Asami Sato and he...
2.5K 74 24
Bolin x O.C. Slow-Burn* Sakari has been living in Republic city for the last 10 years. Ever since she got to Republic city her biggest dream is to b...
129K 4.1K 86
PLEASE READ. So, this is the story that I mentioned in chapter seventy-two of my first LoK story. Alot of you seemed to like the idea, so here it is...
5.8K 280 13
After the 100 years old war the world fell into a place of peace and harmony, with Avatar Aang watching over everyone in every nation. True growth an...