Arcanum Hominem (#1)

By ScarWri

Book #1 ARE-KAY-NOOM AH-MEE-NEM Mysterious Man She can't see through him, but he sees right through her. She... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Epilogue

Chapter 74

568 35 2
By ScarWri

Hours passed, and Levi finally tracked down the first five people on the list for us. 

"Now, you'll have to be careful. Number five on the list was the more challenging one, so I'm guessing that means he's the most important. At least out of the five people I found. Go after the first four first, and then go to him. I'll make sure to keep you guys updated on their locations. Good luck." Levi told us, and I nodded. Killian and I were already in the car, ready to track down the first name on the list. 

Carl Towns.

"Thank you for the update, Levi. We'll be seeing you." Killian thanked him before nodding and driving off. The first target was in our area, which was convenient for us. There was a motel that was about thirty minutes away from where we were, and apparently, that was where the target was staying. 

"What's the plan? If we go in from the front, he'll definitely see us. Is there a way in from the back or something? Did Levi send us anything yet?" I asked Killian, and he glanced down at the tablet in between us. 

"Check that and see. I'm not exactly sure." 

I grabbed the tablet and turned it on. There was a message from Levi, and in the message were schematics of the building. 

"I don't know how to read this." I squinted my eyes at the plans, trying to figure out where the back entrance was located. 

"Let me see it." Killian glanced down before looking back at the road. I zoomed it in a little bit and held the tablet in his face so he could get a good look at it. He kept glancing at the tablet and the road, and then he nodded. "Look at the legend at the bottom, and it should help you out. This one actually has names labeling each area. Look for that." 

I looked for the legend and found it, and soon, I was able to find the back entrance. I continued to look at the schematics and study it the best I could while talking to Killian about our plan for capturing this target. We were going to park the car a few cars away from where the target was located so that we weren't spotted. And then we were going to go up the stairs in the back and ambush him from there. We weren't exactly sure if the target was still in his motel, but we would figure that out soon. That wouldn't be a problem. If his location moved outside of the area we were about to be in, Levi would contact us on our comms. With traffic, it took us about forty minutes instead of thirty, which was a little frustrating because the target could've moved in that time, but he didn't, thankfully. We made it to the motel and saw that there were a few cars in the parking lot. Killian parked the car on the opposite side of the parking lot, and we exited the car. I stretched and took a better look around. It was cloudy in this area, the wind blowing a little harsher than normal. It felt great against my skin, though, and I relished in it. 

"I think the back stairs are this way." I pointed straight ahead to the only open area, and Killian nodded, looking around with his eyes narrowed. We walked to the open space and entered an area with a roof over our heads. The motel was run down and an ugly cream color that was so worn with old paint, I was surprised it was still standing. There was no one else out here, so we were able to successfully make it to the stairs in the back of the building. The stairs were rusty and rattled even though we walked on them slowly. I cringed with each noise it made. We finally made it to the second floor, and I looked up at more stairs. The target was on the fourth floor. We slowly walked up two more flights of creaky stairs, and after much rocking and low curses, we made it to the fourth floor. 

"Do you see which door it is?" Killian asked from behind me, whispering. I looked for 4D, which was the room, and shook my head. He moved from behind me, getting in front, and quickly walked forward, pulling his gun out from his side. I did the same, eyes wide as I checked around us to make sure that we weren't going to be ambushed. We were still in the clear, and when I turned, looking at Killian again, he was standing in front of a door. I walked up to him, and he looked at me, nodding and pointed at the door. I looked at it, and it indeed had 4D on it. I backed up so that Killian could have more space, and he grabbed a tool out of his pocket, placing it on the doorknob. The tool twisted itself, and there was a click of the lock turning. Killian grabbed the tool and held up his hand, a finger coming up and stopping at three before pointing at the door. I nodded, and Killian grabbed the doorknob, slowly turning it. The stench of cigarette smoke left the room and I wrinkled my nose in disgust, turning my head to inhale clean air before entering the room with Killian. I held my gun up, arms locked as we cased the small room. Killian checked the bathroom and closet, and we both put our arms down. There was no one in here.

"Where would he be? He has to be here still, right?" I asked out loud, and Killian huffed, wrinkling his nose as he moved things around with the mouth of his gun. 

"He has to be. Come on, let's check the rest of the building." He walked to the exit but paused abruptly. I looked over his shoulder and froze. A blonde-haired, blue-eyed man was standing at the entrance of the room we were in, eyes wide. He was wearing a black hoodie and black pants. He glanced at me before looking at Killian again. Then he took off running. Killian sprinted after him, and I ran right after, keeping my gun to my side. The target flew down the stairs, jumping down multiple at a time. He made it to the bottom before us and turned around, pointing an arm in the air, gun in hand. 

"Duck!" I yelled as I ducked, and Killian ducked just in time as bullets started flying. The target ran after shooting three times, and we got back up just as quickly, running after him. Killian was faster than me, so he flew down the stairs as well, and soon, they were both out of sight. I continued to run down the stairs, looking around for them. I heard grunting and slaps as I continued down the stairs and tried to hurry my slow legs. I finally made it to the bottom floor and found Killian's gun at the bottom of the stairs. I picked it up and looked around for him, eyes wide. I spotted them in the parking lot, fighting each other. I ran at them and saw as the target chopped Killian's neck with his hand and at the same time knocked the back of his knees with his foot. In one motion, he picked up his gun and aimed it at Killian's head. I gasped and raised my gun, aiming at the target's head. I pulled the trigger, and he dropped to the ground, and I inhaled deeply. My heart was pounding so loudly in my ears, I almost didn't hear Killian speak. 

"Why would you do that? We almost had him!" Killian yelled at me, jumping up from the ground, a pissed look on his face. I reared back, not expecting that reaction from him.

"I just saved your life. He was about to blow your fucking head off. What else was I supposed to do?" I tucked my gun back in my waistband and threw my arms up in the air. His nostrils flared as he stared at me, and he turned around, storming to the car. I went to the car as well, swinging the door open before getting in.

"You weren't supposed to kill the first lead we had. It would've been such an easy grab." He started the car and mashed on the gas. I jerked back into my seat from the force and rolled my eyes, buckling up. 

"Well, his head was the first thing I spotted. Next time I'll just let him shoot you. How about that?" I glared at him, and his jaw ticked at my words. 

"Would that make you happy?" he asked, jerking the wheel to the side as he turned. 

"No! Why would that make me happy? Stop saying dumb shit and just say thank you for saving your life. That would make me happy." I narrowed my eyes at him, waiting. He huffed and glanced at me. 

"Thanks," he mumbled under his breath, but I heard him clearly. 

"You're welcome. Stop moping, and let's figure out what we need to do next." I grabbed the tablet and turned it on. There was a message from Levi. He was updating us to let us know the location of the next target. We decided to stop at the warehouse to let them know what happened and also to create a better plan for the second target. Killian didn't want to be caught off guard like we were with this one, and he also didn't want me to be in a situation where I killed another target. I told him not to be in a situation where the target is about to kill him, and I should be fine. He didn't like when I said that. I wouldn't hold this situation against him, though, unless he was being a dick. Then it might come up. 

"What the hell happened?" Row asked as we walked up the front door of the warehouse. I nodded my head at Killian.

"Ask him." I raised a brow when Killian glared at me and walked inside. Cleo and Levi were hunched over their computers but looked up when we entered. Killian wasn't speaking, so I decided to just tell them.

"The target was about to shoot Killian, so I shot him first. In the head." I kept the explanation short, and Row raised a brow at me while Levi's mouth dropped open. He recovered quickly and turned back around to the computer. 

"Well, good thing we have multiple targets. I sent you guys the location of the next target, but since you're here, I can just explain it to you. This one will be a little tricky because it seems every few hours, she moves locations. So I'm currently tracking her car's movements as well so that I'm always aware when she moves. She's fairly close by, another thirty-minute drive, except it, seems she's in a meeting at an office building. I'm not sure how much longer she's going to be there, so I would say it'll be better for you guys to get on the road now." Levi explained everything to us as I nodded. 

"Sounds good. I'll try not to kill this one." I smirked before walking back outside. This time, I went straight to the driver's side. I was tired of having to ride shotgun, and my fingers were itching to be in control of something right now. I wanted to be able to direct us to the target. Killian was still in the warehouse, so I was able to get comfortable and change the chair settings to match me and adjust the mirrors. By the time he came outside, I was comfortable in the driver's seat, nodding my head to the music that was playing from the radio. His eyes widened when he walked to the driver's side and saw me sitting there. He started shaking his head. 

"Absolutely not. Get out. Get to the other side." He pointed to the passenger seat, and I grinned, shaking my head. I locked the doors when he grabbed the handle. "Scarlett, open the fucking door." he glared at me, which only made my smile grow. 

"Only when you go to the passenger side. Come on, you're wasting time." I raised a brow and wagged a finger at him like he was a child in trouble. He stared at me for a few long seconds before storming to the other side. I unlocked the doors, and he yanked the door open forcefully before dropping down into the seat. He grumbled as he slammed the door shut and adjusted his seat to fit his body. It was weird seeing his large frame in the passenger seat, and it made me smile. I started the car and began driving toward our destination. I sang to the tunes that were coming from the radio, and Killian made a face with each song that came on. As I continued to sing, tapping my fingers on the steering wheel, his brow raised when I glanced at him. 

"You have a nice voice." 

I stopped singing as I heard his compliment. I glanced at him and then back at the road, surprised. "Thank you." I accepted his compliment, a soft smile on my face. I guess he wasn't that irritated. We reached the destination in record time, and as I turned into the parking lot, I saw the target hop into her car, and she quickly drove off.

"Shit!" I whipped the car around quickly without even stopping, making Killian grip the side of the car door. I mashed the gas and quickly went after her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 640 35
Belledie Jones, starts a new life at NWU... Soon to be imprisoned by something lurking in the dark, sending notes and pictures to her front door and...
970K 17.6K 47
I stared at him for a moment and he did the same, both of us daring the other to say one more smart remark. "Don't you have a class to teach?" I ask...
150K 4.9K 87
Gwen, desperate to feel something, kills someone. But she quickly learns that one kill is never enough. Can Gwen stop before she turns on her own fam...
322 73 12
On the outside Nore Mcguire was your average twenty-six year old High School Writing teacher. She had a lot of friends and didn't mind sharing a home...