The Vampire & the Rebel (Comp...

By NelleIvy

Vienne is one of the oldest and most powerful vampires left in the world after the human suppression wars. S... More

Note to Rushers
Part 1: Chapter 1
Part 1: Chapter 2
Part 1: Chapter 3
Part 1: Chapter 4
Part 1: Chapter 5
Part 1: Chapter 6
Part 1: Chapter 7
Part 1: Chapter 8
Part 1: Chapter 9
Part 1: Chapter 10
Part 1: Chapter 11
Part 1: Chapter 12
Part 1: Chapter 13
Part 1: Chapter 14
Part 1: Chapter 15
Part 1: Chapter 16
Part 1: Chapter 17
Part 1: Chapter 18
Part 1: Chapter 19
Part 1: Chapter 20
Part 1: Chapter 21
Part 1: Chapter 22
Part 1: Chapter 23
Part 1: Chapter 24
Part 1: Chapter 25
Part 1: Chapter 26
Part 1: Chapter 27
Part 1: Chapter 28
Part 1: Chapter 29
Part 1: Chapter 30
Part 1: Chapter 31
Part 1: Chapter 32
Part 1: Chapter 33
Part 1: Chapter 34
Part 1: Chapter 35
Part 2: Chapter 1
Part 2: Chapter 2
Part 2: Chapter 3
Part 2: Chapter 4
Part 2: Chapter 5
Part 2: Chapter 6
Part 2: Chapter 7
Part 2: Chapter 8
Part 2: Chapter 9
Part 2: Chapter 10
Part 2: Chapter 11
Part 2: Chapter 12
Part 2: Chapter 13
Part 2: Chapter 14
Part 2: Chapter 15
Part 2: Chapter 16
Part 2: Chapter 17
Part 2: Chapter 18
Part 2: Chapter 19
Part 2: Chapter 20
Part 2: Chapter 21
Part 2: Chapter 22
Part 2: Chapter 23
Part 2: Chapter 24
Part 2: Chapter 25
Part 2: Chapter 26
Part 2: Chapter 27
Part 2: Chapter 28
Part 2: Chapter 29
Part 2: Chapter 30
Part 3: Chapter 1
Part 3: Chapter 2
Part 3: Chapter 3
Part 3: Chapter 4
Part 3: Chapter 5
Part 3: Chapter 6
Part 3: Chapter 7
Part 3: Chapter 8
Part 3: Chapter 9
Part 3: Chapter 10
Part 3: Chapter 11
Part 3: Chapter 12
Part 3: Chapter 13
Part 3: Chapter 14
Part 3: Chapter 15
Part 3: Chapter 16
Part 3: Chapter 17
Part 3: Chapter 18
Part 3: Chapter 19
Part 3: Chapter 20
Part 3: Chapter 21
Part 3: Chapter 22
Part 3: Chapter 23
Part 3: Chapter 24
Part 3: Chapter 25
Part 3: Chapter 26
Part 3: Chapter 27
Part 3: Chapter 28
Part 3: Chapter 29
Part 3: Chapter 30
Part 3: Chapter 31
Epilogue

Part 1: Chapter 36

244 26 134
By NelleIvy

I slammed my fist into the side of Ian's jaw, and he fell to the ground, seemingly unconscious. The other guard grabbed my arms from behind and tried to restrain me, but I put my boot against the wall and used it as leverage to push both of us backwards. He tried to regain his footing, but he fell to the ground with my weight slamming on top of him and knocking the air from his lungs.

The force of the landing also caused him to release his grip just enough that I broke out of it and scrambled away. He went to get up, but I was already on my feet and I had no time for honourable rules, I kicked him in the face and he fell backwards.

I wasted no more time as I dashed through the gate and into the guardhouse.

"Jamie."

I swore. Of course, she was standing there in the shadows, like the stalking predator she was. She was wearing what I had seen her wear out in the daylight before, but her sunglasses were pushed up onto the top of her head leaving her eyes free to pierce me, a closed parasol swinging from her left hand.

How she had managed to make if all the way from her lair to the external walls during the day, I had no idea, but nothing the monster ever did really surprised me.

I eyed the exit, so close, but I would not be fast enough to get there.

I swore again. I was never going to escape from the leech, at least not while alive. Her little demonstration had shown that well enough. Desperation welled up inside me like a living thing that threatened to consume me alive, much as I imagined the leech wanted to do.

My hatred for her burned as bright as it ever had. She stole my freedom in every way she possibly could, chains, collars, brands, walls, guards. She ever stood in my way, and this time was no different.

I wished that I had risked stealing a weapon, but it was too late now, and even if I had a knife, what could I do against her but what she allowed me to do? Agonizingly helpless frustration was the only answer to my predicament.

"Leaving so soon?" she asked, cocking her head as if curious.

"Nah, just had a burning desire to check out the guard house."

She smiled at my lie. I watched her move sinuously forward. "You want to leave that badly?"

"You know I do."

She nodded. "I know you found the one you've been seeking, Jamie."

I started. "How?"

"Theo just looked at your patterns and the conclusion was obvious. You looked at Jack's entry dozens of times, and every vampire mentioned on his entry more than once."

I did not argue and I kept my eye on her as she moved gracefully forward.

She continued, softly, "You might be able to take him out, Jamie, but you have no chance against his sire, who he still resides with. Ivan's ancient, older than me. I don't even think I could take him out on my own." She laughed, lightly.

"I don't need to take him out, I only need to avoid him." I frowned.

"Do you really think Ivan won't hunt down the one who killed his fledging? You'll die."

"Only if he finds out it's me."

"It's a foolish risk," she said, staring into my eyes, her soft brown eyes bloody in the indirect light of the sun. "One I cannot allow you to take."

"It's not your right to decide that," I said, trying to keep myself calm.

"You know I can stop you," she said simply.

"Damn leech."

She smiled, but her eyes still looked sad. Still I was not going to let myself be fooled and drawn in by her human act. She heaved a great sigh and spoke. "I don't want you to throw your life away, Jamie. I know you want your revenge, but is it really worth that?"

"Yes."

She was quiet for a long moment and I looked at the exit and the sun outside it. If I could get there, she would have difficulty stopping me, and I might get a full minute head start before the human pursuit began.

It was a big if.

"Jamie, I have a confession. I actually care about you, quite a lot more than I should care about any mortal, surely."

I met her eyes in surprise.

"It's most undignified, but I find myself drawn to you like no other. I find you attractive, but it's more than that. I can't quite fathom it, but it's enough to make me willing to forgive and forget the fact that the fire in the kitchen might have killed one of my humans, the wanton destruction of my property, this rebellious escape attempt..."

I scowled at her, as I listened to her speaking as if I were the one who was in the wrong. It was laughable.

"I want you to be on my side and by my side."

I edged towards the exit, desperately hoping that she might be distracted by her own words enough that she would not see my movement.

"Stay with me, and be one of my loyal guards, and I will promise you something as satisfying as your revenge, a greater purpose. And, although I can make no guarantees, perhaps you might one day get a shot at your quarry."

I wanted to throw her offer back in her face, but if I agreed, maybe she would let her guard down. I stopped edging towards the exit and considered how to agree without arousing her suspicion.

"I understand that you're reluctant, Jamie. I know. But I'm going to give you a gift."

"I don't want anything from you," I answered automatically in spite of my decision to agree with her moments before.

"You'll want this, Jamie. I'm going to give you something that you will receive from no other vampire in my position."

I just watched her quietly.

"I'm going to give you a choice."

I held in my flinch as she moved forward impossibly fast and put her cool gloved hands around my neck.

A moment later the collar hit the floor with a resounding clunk. I did not take my eyes off of her to look at it.

It felt good, but I was wary about the next play in her game. What twist was this?

She stepped back and pulled out something that I had glimpsed before, smooth and silver. I realized she held one of the standard daggers that the guards were armed with.

I watched warily as the bloodsucker held it out towards me, handle first. I just stared at it.

"It's a good blade," she informed me, sounding very much as if we were just having any old conversation. "Sturdy, sharp, and thin enough that you could easily get it between a leech's ribs." She smiled.

I wrapped my fingers around the cool handle.

"So, your choice, such as it is: join my guard and help me and in doing so find greater purpose beyond your vengeance, or stake me and drag me out into the sunlight."

"You're insane."

She shrugged. "Perhaps. I won't even fight you. It won't be instantaneous at this time of day, but it will work quickly enough."

I stared at her and she stared back at me, and her eyes looked so human in that moment.

"What are you after?"

"I want you," she told me, her lips parted, and I could damn myself for liking the sound of her words. I should know better, but she was irresistible in her own dark way.

I wanted to agree to whatever she asked, and I could not even blame it on her controlling my mind, because this desire to give into her was borne from some shadowy animalistic part of me.

Resisting the urge, I stepped close. She looked surprisingly vulnerable in spite of her overwhelming power. I never usually noticed, but she was almost a full head shorter than me. Had she been a human I would have completely overpowered her.

But she was not human. She was the leech, and she claimed to have given me a choice.

I moved forward, and I tilted my head down, catching her soft lips with my own. I felt as much as heard her gasp of surprise against me and there was an answering surge in my blood. Whatever monster she was and whatever insanity gripped me, I did want her.

She almost relaxed against me, and I tightened my grip on the dagger in my hand.

Moving slowly but surely, I brought it up between us and shoved it quickly into her chest, scraping the bone as the dagger slipped past and deep into her flesh until it pierced that most protected organ.

Then I stepped away from her, watching her face the whole time and waited for her anger and fury to emerge, or even betrayal, since I had misused her so.

I had pictured this moment in my mind more than once, but it was nothing like what I had imagined. She looked calm and accepting, and then she smirked at me. She did not even try to fight. She just stood there as if suspended, the dagger's hilt protruding from her chest, black blood starting to seep from the wound I had inflicted.

She laughed lightly and a trickle of black ran out of her mouth. "You'd better hurry, Jamie. They're going to kill you for this when they catch you." It sounded more warning than threat.

She finally collapsed, crumpling into a pathetic heap.

The moment was nothing like the times I had killed bloodsuckers before, when I had felt only triumph and vindication. This was empty.

But no matter what, I could make my bid for freedom.

I spun and ran out the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

832K 20.7K 77
⚠️Warning⚠️ Smut in this Book!- Description of sexual activity, body parts, Inappropriate language, gif that show Semi sexual activity. As well as ot...
1.7K 275 34
Step into the darkness, say goodbye to the light, we live in an eternity where every day is night. Irina, a free-going yet fearless Elf is heartbroke...
7.2K 338 27
What is the destiny of a she-wolf on the run to the human land? . . . At a young age, Alexia lost her parents. With her current status and rumours su...
465K 13.8K 41
RATED MATURE | Completed ✔ Held captive at the hands of vampires to be auctioned off to the vampire clan called the PureBloods. I'm held hostage, tor...