How to Date an Asshole

By AlanisKorali

Like most people, Lauren had a big crush on a celebrity when she was a teenager. Unlike most people, she met... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Epilogue

Chapter 28

6.2K 288 9
By AlanisKorali

Chapter 28

On the drive to the Hamptons, I asked Axel everything I can – what to do, what to expect, how to act. And while all my questions were answered, they still did not compare to the actual experience.

As soon as he got out of the car, I heard the sounds of camera flashes, all bright and sudden out the window. He gave the valet the keys and waved at the camera, giving his award-winning smile. I watch how natural he is at this from the inside of the car. How did I ever get to be associated with him?

A mere second later, he turned to open my side of the doors. He offered his hand and nodded, holding some kind of assurance that everything will be okay. I took a deep breath. You can do it, Lauren. And I placed my hand on his and nodded back as if to say I trust you then stood from the car. The cameras became more aggressive.

Don't look at the flash. I remember him saying on the way.

As I walk the red carpet, my heart was beating so fast, I'm afraid I might collapse. He placed his palm on the small of my back, supporting me from the foreign scene before my eyes.

He smiled and waved to the cameras on our left.

That's when it dawned on me that there is no denying that he is made for this. I mean that's what he does for a living – being attractive. Must be nice, not gonna lie, having a career because of the face you were born with. I don't mean it's because their efforts are minimum, I know for a fact that they spend hours in the gym and eating healthy most of the time, but having an innate foundation for a career? Must. Be. Nice.

Somehow, by a miracle, we made it past the entrance.

"See, that wasn't so bad," he said as soon as we stepped on the threshold.

"Because your family included a clause of no questions or comments," I said as we continued to wall in the event lobby.

"Only fair. Who would want to throw a party to be harassed by the press?"

I chuckled, "True."

"Axel?" a man in his mid-50s walked towards us.

"Mr. Nordstrom, how's it going?" Axel shook Mr. Nordstrom's hand.

"Great. A little busy with the business but it's all good. Where's your Dad? I haven't seen him anywhere."

"Oh, I haven't seen him yet too. But I'll be sure to tell him to look for you. Anyhow, this is Lauren Grant. Lauren, meet Erik Nordstrom."

My eyes bulged slightly at the mention of his name.

"Hi," I held my hand out for a shake, which he shook vigorously. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Sir. You're Erik Nordstrom from Nordstrom, Inc., am I right?"

He chuckled, "That very one." Then curiosity flashed in his eyes, "Say, Grant. From the, uh..." He seems to be concentrating on the right word then he snaps his fingers, "Textile company!"

"Uh, no." I smiled politely.

"Oh, then the, uh, motor oil company." He waved his hand by his head as if me coming from a family with a motor oil company was the most natural thing and that he's so silly to not realize it before.

I moved my mouth, not really sure what to say.

"Brother!" Oliver came from behind and hugged Axel. "Hey, Mr. Nordstrom, nice to see you."

Mr. Nordstrom raised his brows as he smiled, "You too, Oliver. Um, nice to meet you, Lauren." Then he turned to Axel, "I'll see you around."

"Catch up later, Mr. Nordstrom," Axel replied and Mr. Nordstrom walked inside the ball area.

"Oh, is this the great Lauren Grant?" Oliver turned to me and made an appreciative frown, "You clean up good."

Liezl elbowed Oliver by the rib, "Ow."

"That's why you don't have a girlfriend." She turned to me, "Nice to meet you, Lauren," she offered her hand. "I'm Liezl, by the way. And you look beautiful in the dress."

I shook it, "Uh, thanks. And you too. I was told you've picked it."

"Yeah," she smiled then glanced at Axel, "And I was told you didn't like it."

I winced with guilt, "It was kind of out of my comfort zone."

She let out an astonished smile as if she saw a newborn dancing the waltz, "Pray, tell me, have you seen anyone here looking comfortable?"

I looked around and shook my head slightly, "That's what I thought." She laughed under her breath, "I like you, Lauren."

She stood by her brother, tall and fit in her sparkling silver dress. I wonder how she works with her male models when she's their age and looks like that.

"Too bad I got to her first," Axel said.

"Don't be greedy, James. And don't worry, I wasn't tryna to pull her."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Oliver guffawed, "Oh, honey, my sister plays in our team." He pointed his thumb between him and Axel, back and forth as he nodded suggestively.

"Oh. Oh."

I guess that answers my question.

"Oh, indeed." She replied with a grin on her face.

"Oooh, the Duchess is here. Now if you'll excuse me, this knight has a quest to conquer." Oliver moved past us.

"Pig." his sister said.

"I heard that."

"You were supposed to."

"The Duchess?" I asked Axel.

He chuckled deeply. Liezl made a circle on one hand then pointed inside the circle with her other hand, and made a popping sound, "Every year."

"Oh, wow."

Axel just shrugged.

"Why don't we come inside? We're missing out on all the fun staying in the lobby."

"Ready?" Axel offered his arm.

"Never," to which I linked mine. "But what the hell."

*       *       *

In all the years of my life, never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought that I would be standing wide-eyed in a middle of a ballroom in the Hamptons.

I chugged the contents of the champagne glass on my hand, never missing the feeling of eyes watching me as I placed the empty glass on the cocktail table.

And then I felt it again, the way my body responds to anxiety. I haven't felt it in a long time but it's there, like muscle memory. I began to spiral back to my favorite day. I was three, maybe four, out there at the dark of the night but under the bright lights of Times Square, sitting on my Dad's shoulder, looking down on Noelle as she's clutching Mom's hand. I can't remember much of the trip but I will never forget the feeling of being utterly mesmerized by the big city lights.

"Hey, you okay?" Axel whispered by my ear, enough to bring me back to reality; to the stares and whispers of high-society New York.

I took a sharp inhale, "What?"

"I said are you okay?"

I forced a smile, "Not particularly."

Axel's smile faded, "You wanna go outside? Get some fresh air?"

"Please." A smile still plastered on my face to avoid further gossip.

Axel led me away from the crowd with his hand on the small of my back.

The music began to fade as we walk in the hallway and got closer to the garden doors.

He let go of his hold on me when we reached the gardens. I don't know what came to me but as soon as I was free of his grasp, I rushed to the fountain and thanked my lucky stars that there was no one in sight.

I tried to breathe in as much air as humanly possible. It smells like chlorine and freshly-cut grass. I clung onto my chest, feeling my lungs deflate back to their normal size as I breathe out.

I pressed the heels of my palms on the edge, hovering over the fountain. The moon's reflection disrupted with every droplet that strays.

The warm floor lights on the path to the fountain were fading from my peripheral view, dimmed by Axel's shadow as he makes his way to me.

He leaned on the fountain with his hands buried deep in his pockets, "Hey, wanna make out?"

"What?" I turned my head to face him.

He looked at me with that goofy smile on this face as he chuckled, "Just checking if you're still here. Your head's off to space."

"Pft, I wish." I turned and sat next to him. "It would be easier if my head was off to space. Then, I wouldn't be thinking of what people are saying inside that big-ass ballroom."

"Big-ass ballroom." He laughed, looking down at his shoes.

I leaned back, pressing the heels of my palms on the edge to support my back.

"It funny how something so spacious can suffocate you."

He smiled weakly at the ground then shook his head, "I can't believe my family threw this party and they're still not here."

"I can't believe I have to be here."

He looked at me apologetically, "I'm sorry. Today is the one time my family sees me in a year. It's non-negotiable for me. And you being seen with me a week before..." he gestured to the ball, "well, this. I had no other choice. They obligated me."

I let out a small sigh, "At least, this counts as our third date."

"Still not fair, if you ask me."

I scoffed, "Excuse me, and how is it not fair?"

"Well, we agreed that I will plan all the dates."

"It's not like I planned this. And it's your event. It only seems fair that I get one out if I'm being hauled in killer heels."

He laughed.

"And don't get me started on this dress. Who in their right mind would wear a slit so high when it's 50 outside?"

He raised his hands in the air, "Blame Liezl."

I chuckled under my breath. "I don't know what I will say when I meet your family. It's not like it's easy to explain that we're 'dating'," I air-quoted. "because of a stupid office dare."

I sighed in the calm before the storm, "James." My brows knitting together.

"Yeah?"

"I need you to do me a favor."

His face washed with concern. "Anything."

I gulped, swallowing my pride. "Don't leave me alone. Not in this event. I don't know how things run in your world and I don't wanna fuck up."

His lips quirked up in a small smile, "Of course," then placed his hand on top of mine, "It's alright, I'll never leave your side."

He stared at me for what felt like an eternity, eyes searching, wanting. Blue eyes now almost black under the moonlight. Hair messed up with the cold breeze of the night, sending small pieces of dark dirty blonde down his forehead. He titled his head closer to me and I felt my eyes close.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, let us acknowledge the arrival of our hosts, Mr. and Mrs. William James." the emcee announced from the inside.

I moved back. What was I thinking? "We should go back inside."

He inhaled sharply, looked down then back up facing the building, and licked his lips, "Yeah," he nodded, looking at me. "Alright, let's go."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

200K 4.4K 48
Kai Parker, a 27 year old mafia king. He never had things the easy way. But in the end, he always gets what he wants. Rose, separated from her parent...
4.4K 531 34
The hottest woman I've ever seen thinks I'm a player who's snacked my way through one too many females. Ever since I met Char, the control freak mana...
23.2K 824 40
[COMPLETED] [EDITED] He smirked and got even closer to my face, "you see, this report is technically under my..." He tilted his head slightly to whi...
852K 19.7K 80
"You don't like it rough?" he asks me. Oh, okay, I smirk back at him, two can play this game. "I like it... but only during sex, " I say to him wat...