Queen Of The Plains ( The Mat...

By LyssahTraicey

Lulu had been labeled the wild card of the Kiarie sisters and she lived up to that name. She lived her life e... More

๐ŸŒป Author's Note ๐ŸŒป
๐Ÿฆ Chapter One ๐Ÿฆ
๐Ÿ˜ Chapter Two ๐Ÿ˜
๐Ÿ„ Chapter Three ๐Ÿ„
๐Ÿ Chapter Four ๐Ÿ
๐Ÿฎ Chapter Five ๐Ÿฎ
๐Ÿ† Chapter Six ๐Ÿ†
๐ŸฆŽ Chapter Eight ๐ŸฆŽ
๐Ÿฆ“ Chapter Nine ๐Ÿฆ“
๐Ÿฆ’ Chapter Ten ๐Ÿฆ’
๐Ÿ•ท๏ธ Chapter Eleven ๐Ÿ•ท๏ธ
๐Ÿœ Chapter Twelve ๐Ÿœ
๐ŸChapter Thirteen ๐Ÿ
๐Ÿ Chapter Fourteen ๐Ÿ
๐Ÿฆ‹ Chapter Fifteen ๐Ÿฆ‹
๐Ÿ” Chapter Sixteen ๐Ÿ”
๐Ÿฆ” Chapter Seventeen ๐Ÿฆ”
๐Ÿฟ๏ธ Chapter Eighteen ๐Ÿฟ๏ธ
๐Ÿฆก Chapter Nineteen ๐Ÿฆก
๐Ÿฆจ Chapter Twenty ๐Ÿฆจ
๐Ÿฆฆ Chapter Twenty One ๐Ÿฆฆ
๐Ÿฆฅ Chapter Twenty Two ๐Ÿฆฅ
๐Ÿ‡ Chapter Twenty Three ๐Ÿ‡
๐Ÿ•Š๏ธ Chapter Twenty Four ๐Ÿ•Š๏ธ
๐Ÿฆฉ Chapter Twenty Five ๐Ÿฆฉ
๐Ÿฆข Chapter Twenty Six ๐Ÿฆข
๐Ÿฆœ Chapter Twenty Seven ๐Ÿฆœ
๐Ÿฆš Chapter Twenty Eight ๐Ÿฆš
๐Ÿฆƒ Chapter Twenty Nine๐Ÿฆƒ
๐Ÿ“ Chapter Thirty ๐Ÿ“
๐Ÿˆ Chapter Thirty One ๐Ÿˆ
๐Ÿฉ Chapter Thirty Two ๐Ÿฉ
๐Ÿ•โ€ Chapter Thirty Three ๐Ÿ•โ€
๐ŸฆŒ Chapter Thirty Four ๐ŸฆŒ
๐Ÿ‘ Chapter Thirty Five ๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿฆ™ Chapter Thirty Six ๐Ÿฆ™
๐Ÿ Chapter Thirty Seven ๐Ÿ
๐ŸŽ Chapter Thirty Eight ๐ŸŽ
๐Ÿƒ Chapter Thirty Nine ๐Ÿƒ
๐Ÿฆ˜ Chapter Forty ๐Ÿฆ˜
๐Ÿซ Chapter Forty One ๐Ÿซ
๐Ÿฆ Chapter Forty Two ๐Ÿฆ
๐Ÿฆ› Chapter Forty Three ๐Ÿฆ›
๐Ÿฆง Chapter Forty Four ๐Ÿฆง
๐Ÿฆ Chapter Forty Five ๐Ÿฆ
๐ŸŠ Chapter Forty Six ๐ŸŠ
๐Ÿข Chapter Forty Seven ๐Ÿข
๐Ÿž Chapter Forty Eight ๐Ÿž
๐Ÿฆ… Chapter Forty Nine ๐Ÿฆ…
๐Ÿบ Chapter Fifty ๐Ÿบ
๐Ÿป Chapter Fifty One ๐Ÿป
๐Ÿฃ Epilogue ๐Ÿฃ

๐Ÿพ Chapter Seven ๐Ÿพ

419 52 6
By LyssahTraicey

LULU'S POV

I had spent the whole morning with Korir as he gave me a tour of the village. Not exactly a tour as he was showing me different places like spots where we could set up our gear and trucks and where all temporary housing for the workers would be built. They were too many to be housed in a resort so they'd spend a few days setting up temporary houses of iron sheets to stay in for the whole construction period. Before you feel sorry for them, they had been housed under worse, harsher conditions.

When I had told Marini about being here to build these people a mini wakanda, I had been joking at the time but not anymore. I would literally be making everything from scratch since they didn't have anything that actually worked, the dispensary was so small, it was a wonder it could cater for so many people. It made me wonder where their county government was when they were suffering like that.

"Why doesn't the government at least help you out?"I asked Korir who was seated next to me in the passengers seat.

"We've sent petitions and requests but all they do is dismiss us giving lame excuses like we're too far into the interior and the roads are impassable to bring relief supplies."He explained.

"The roads are in terrible condition? Really? It's their responsibility to fix them, those scoundrels. Sorry for getting worked up its just that we are the ones who vote for them after they make so many promises but after they get in power they flush those promises down the toilet."I huffed.

"No harm done dear. Your sister is doing so much good for us and you too miss Lulu. God shall surely bless you."

"Amen Korir, just you wait. By the time I'm done you guys will be living in an oasis."I promised and he smiled.

We passed by the school and I just had to stop the car to get a better look. It was definitely going to be one of the first things we worked on considering its poor state. There were a few classes but they had no doors, widows and half of them didn't even have a roof. The classes clearly weren't enough as I could see groups of students seated under acacia trees with books on their laps as they listened attentively to their teachers. Most of them were barefoot, their books looked worn out and clothes tattered but that didn't seem to bother them at all as they studied. It was such a sad sight, I almost cried.

"You want to go say hello?"Korir asked when he noticed me staring.

"I don't want to intrude."

"You won't be, come on let's go."He insisted and he was already getting out of the car before I could resist.

I got out of the car straightening my black romper. Korir led me to the largest group of students who were being taught by a beautiful young woman. She looked to be enjoying her work as the smile never left her face even though the dust on her legs showed she'd been been on her feet for a long time. Her eyes turned to us and Korir called her over. She excused herself to the class and walked towards us.

She bowed respectfully to Korir and greeted him with respect.

"Ruth I want you to meet Lulu, she's a humanitarian and our little village caught her sight and she's here to help."He introduced and I smiled.

She held out her hand and we shared a firm handshake.

"It's so nice to meet you, some of the kids were talking about the sweet lady who told them a story and I thought they were making it up."She was so nice and polite, I immediately took a liking to her.

"It's nice to meet you too."I replied.

"Come say hello, they love meeting new people."She requested.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah come on."

She led me to the front of the class and I was met with hopeful faces looking up at me with awe and bright smiles. I recognized a few faces from story time. They were murmuring to themselves but when Ruth called their attention they all went silent. Their obedience to her was not out of fear but out of respect.

"Class we have a guest, some of you already met her but I'll allow her to introduce herself and tell us why she's here."Ruth said and stood aside allowing me to address them.

"Hello kids, my name is Lulu and I am a lot of things but right now here with you I'm a humanitarian. Who knows what that is?"I asked and I didn't expect them to know seeing as they were very young but a lot of hands event up.

I pointed to a girl with big brown eyes and the cutest smile.

"A humanitarian is someone who helps others, especially those in dire need."The young girl replied using big words for a nine or ten year old, by the looks of her.

"That's right. Good job."I praised and she beamed in happiness.

"What do you guys think of the idea of getting new classes, a lot more books so you don't have to share and new uniforms and shoes?"I asked and all of them gasped before they started talking excitedly amongst themselves.

One of them started clapping and the rest of them joined and I had to ask them to stop.

"Thank you guys. So that's why I'm here for. I'll be doing other things but for you that's what I'll be focusing on."

"Miss?"A little girl called out with her hand raised.

They were so polite.

"Yes dear."I answered with a smile.

"Can't we get our teacher a chair? She stands all day to teach us and I fear she gets too tired."She requested so kindly and I had to hold onto my breath to prevent the tears from falling.

"Of course sweetheart, we are going to get your teacher a chair."I promised my voice all clogged up with emotion.

I waved Ruth over unable to continue with the conversation. Those kids were going to kill me with their innocence and kind hearts.

"Okay class. Miss Lulu has to go but I'm sure you'll see her again. What do you say to her?"

"Thank you Miss Lulu."They yelled in chorus before clapping as I walked away with Ruth following me.

"You have the best students."I complimented.

"I'm the lucky one."She replied looking adorably at them.

"What you said about the school? You're being sincere?" She asked.

"Of course. I have to meet with the principal to discuss more details and when everything is planned out we start working immediately."I assured her and she smiled getting teary eyed.

"You are the miracle we have been waiting for. Thank you Miss Lulu."She said jokingly mimicking the kids but there was so much truth to her statement.

"It will be my pleasure to help as much as I can. I'm sure we'll be able to converse more but for now go back to your students."I requested and she smiled at me shaking my hand before going back to her students.

Korir had been waiting for me besides my car smiled when he saw me.

"You're the answered prayer we have been there waiting for Lulu."He said when we got into the car so I should drive him back to his home.

"Maybe you guys are mine."I replied knowing that this was slowly becoming more than a job to me.

I was getting attached and it had only been a few days, by the end of the year I knew that the community of kind souls will have changed my life completely. It would begin with the tall handsome vet whose smiles haunted my dreams to all the amazing people I was meeting daily.

"Korir I need a favor?"I asked remembering something.

"Anything dear."

"I know it's the dry season and its becoming harder to find food and water. The shipment for the supplies will be here soon and I need a general place where people can come get a few things to keep them going before the greenhouses pick up."I requested.

"When do they get here?"He asked.

"Today or tomorrow."

"How about after the church service on Sunday? Lots of people attend the service and I can have word spread around for everyone to come."He suggested.

"Good idea thank you."I smiled.

"I should be the one saying thank you."He replied and we continued discussing a few more details.

I dropped Korir off back at home and he insisted I go in for lunch but I had to say no even though my stomach was begging me to say yes. Rashid would be arriving in a few hours with his team and since they wouldn't be able to start construction immediately I had to find them a good spot to set up their tents for a few days. It was his fault for delaying the shipment so instead of booking him a room, he would bunk with his team. They would be about thirty of them arriving with Rashid and the rest would arrive with the rest of the materials in a few days. My phone rang just as I got to the intersection where I was supposed to wait for them. I needed to guide them to the location of their new home and the intersection with the signboard telling you the direction of the village would not be much help.

I retrieved my phone from my pocket and smiled when I saw it was my baby sister calling. The three of us were close but Amani and I shared a much stronger bond than the one I had with Marini.

"Hey chubby."I greeted cheerfully.

"Don't call me that especially after you haven't called me since you got there."She scolded in her cute baby voice.

Amani was the most innocent of the three of us, Marini was the mom, kind of strict but still loving while I was the the rebel. Amani being the last born was sheltered by the both of us but she had a feisty attitude hidden underneath that only came out when she was very frustrated or very emotional.

"I'm sorry, I've just been so busy settling in. Forgive me pwease."I begged in a soft tone.

"Aaargh fine."She surrendered giving in.

Did I mention that she was quick forgive too and didn't like holding grudges?

"How is it though? Get attacked by any bandits yet? "She chided.

"Funny but no. The resort is amazing and the people Amani. These people are so great and welcoming."

"Are you sure it's not because you have deep pockets that's why they are playing nice?"

"That's a little cynical and no they are genuinely nice people."I defended them.

"Okay fine I'm just looking out for you."

"I know but you should stop hanging out with Jeremy so much he's changing you."I teased attacking her best friend.

"I told you she would come between us one day."I heard Jeremy say in the background.

"I should have known he was there with you."I groaned and Amani laughed.

We contributed talking and I made a few more jabs at Jeremy just for fun of it. I liked Jeremy, he was good for my sister as long as he didn't try to date her. She was not allowed to be in a serious relationship until she finished college. It was being a little overprotective but she was my sister and I cared about her a lot.

"Any handsome Samburu warriors caught your eye yet?"Amani asked and I sat up straighter.

James immediately came to mind making me smile. I didn't want to discuss my blooming interest in him just yet with either of my sisters especially Amani. She was a romantic at heart and would start planning our wedding before we even started dating.

Before I could come up with a lie I spotted a fleet of cars blowing up dust from a far and I smiled. My team had arrived, finally some progress.

"Sorry baby siz, gotta go. Rashid just arrived."I said thanking my angels for the save.

"Okay bye. Stay safe, I love you."

"I love you too chubby."I teased and hang up before she could throw another tantrum.

The cars got closer and I dared not get out of the car knowing the kind of dust they would blow would render me blind. The lead car flashed it's lights at me and I flashed mine back to indicate that I'd seen them. They got to where I was parked and my whole car was enveloped in cloud of dust. It dissipated fast to show an entourage of fifteen car's parked next to me. There were four SUV's, six double cabin pick up trucks, three delivery trucks and two water trucks. Marini had outdone herself as usual.

I got out of the my car just as Rashid got out of his. I stood with my hands crossed over my chest as the tall, curly haired and always grinning man approached me. My face was impassive not showing any emotion and I hope he got the drift that I was still mad at him.

"Not even a hug for one of your oldest friends."He teased once he got close.

"You are no friend. You always screw me over."I replied through gritted teeth.

"Come on sweetness don't be mad. I'm here aren't I?"He pleaded.

"Yeah a day late and without the equipment we need to get to work."

"I know but we brought the supplies, without us they would have gotten here two days late."

"Yeah as if I'm going to fall for that excuse."

"You're sister already gave me a hard time, not you too."He huffed.

I had already forgiven him but he didn't need to know that, I liked keeping him on his toes.

"You deserved it."

"I know but her I can handle when she's mad at me but you, it hurts sweetness. Tell you what, Yasmin packed me some mitai, you can have them if you forgive me."He bargained and my interest was piqued.

Yasmin was his betrothed. They were promised to each other while young and he was just waiting for her to finish her last year at medical school so they could get married. For an arranged marriage they seemed to be really close and I'd even go as far as to say they were in love with each other.

"Are those the sugar glazed donuts with lemon and ginger? "I asked excitedly basically drooling.

"Those exact ones."He admitted.

"You Mister are forgiven."I announced hugging him and he was stunned for a second before he hugged me back chuckling.

He introduced me to the new crew members that I hadn't met yet and the other engineers he'd hired to help out with the work. After we got the pleasantries out of the way and I got my sweet treats I led the way to the large expanse of land allocated for their camping. It was a sweet spot away from the wild life with a few trees. That part actually had grass on it, dried but still grass. It was closer to the resort too since they were going to be offering catering services to them for all their meals.

"Looks beautiful can't wait to settle in."Rashid commented next to me as they started unloading their tents.

"Loose the sarcasm and you'll be fine. It's just like camping with the scouts all over again."I encouraged.

"I was never a scout."He complained.

"Well now is your chance to learn."I grinned patting his chest before going to help out setting up their tents.

I made sure that they were well settled and fed before heading back to the resort allowing them and early night. The next day was a Saturday and they would begin construction of their temporary housing as I and the lead engineers mapped out the place and I showed them around to all the places Korir had showed me. Sunday we would distribute the relief supplies as all the other equipment, machines and construction material arrived and then we would get to work.

I sat in bed that night enjoying the sweet donuts from Yasmin and began my report. I felt content that everything was slowly falling into place. It was a pity I didn't get to see James but it would be a few days until everything settled down. I'd then be able to make time for him so we could explore where our blooming feelings would take us. That's assuming he shared my feelings but he had hinted on it when he drove me home and I intended to follow up on those hints.

🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀🌀

I need a honest review.. What do you guys think of the book so far?

Please Vote, Comment and Share. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 9.9K 93
She is beautiful, she is sexy, she is independent, she is fierce, she is successful and her name is Ntombifuthi Lwandlelethu Cele.
85.3K 7.9K 24
Mave Stevens has lived a dream life as a famous actress in a famous family, but she never thought fame would put her in danger. Having survived being...
136K 7.3K 20
What happens when a girl finds out she is actually a royal and the right heir of an island where only women should live in. Read and find out.
55 0 20
Ollie had the looks that could afford him any girl. He had nerves of still and the hunger for more, so much more out of life. Friends are always good...