Bad [Harry Potter Fanfiction]...

By Emmalee_Sky

[Completed] (Fanfiction / Romance) Who's Bad? I'm Bad. * Five years ago, the Second War ended in the Wizardin... More

Bad
1 | A new case
2 | The Leaky Cauldron
3 | An answer to her prayers
4 | A break with friends
5 | New client
6 | Plagued by what ifs
7 | Pieces fall into place
8 | Today was the day
9 | Polyjuice Potion
10 | Not the Ministry
11 | A priceless token
12 | Perfect Opportunity
13 | Anticipation
15 | Fyrefox
16 | Do you understand?
17 | Whiplash
18 | The oddest feeling
19 | Another shot
20 | Parkinson Manor
21 | A few things to say.
22 | Priority
23 | Something has changed.
24 | Letters
Timing is everything.
25 | Dinner
26 | This was business.
27 | Cut out the competition
28 | We need a plan.
29 | Monkey Suit
30 | Promise me.
31 | Ready
32 | The Ball
33 | No man
34 | So much for exciting.
35 | The future together
36 | Handled
37 | Lure
38 | One option
39 | Aren't you forgetting something?
40 | Home
Epilogue | The future
Epilogue | It's time.
BAD Series
All in BAD Company
A Few BAD Men

14 | Display of magic

12.6K 349 135
By Emmalee_Sky

Ginny was here. Harry caught her red hair within the crowd, and she'd taken his breath away. Heartbreakingly beautiful, as always. She entered the ballroom in a black gown behind Neville and Hannah and ahead of Luna and Rolf then moved to the drink table but after a few minutes, she disappeared.

A part of him wanted to hunt her down, but he had other things to do. He exhaled, watching Ron make his rounds. Had he seen her?

He skirted a group of witches from his Hogwarts days. A few said hi, most just stared as he nodded. No one went overboard, thankfully. He walked over to the drink table, where Professor McGonagall was chatting with Professor Sprout. Well, it was more like McGonagall was caught in the conversation. While he passed by, she jumped on him with a quick interruption to Professor Sprout's story.

"Potter," she said. Harry stopped. "How are you doing? Staying out of trouble."

His lips twitched. "I try, Professor."

Her eyes were bright. "I'm not your professor anymore."

He shrugged, turning his back on the table and keeping his eyes on the crowd. "Can't help it." It'd been years, but that wasn't something you could stop yourself from doing.

She turned as well. "I've noticed an alarming amount of aurors tonight."

He grinned. "You can never be too cautious when world leaders are involved."

She nodded, but he felt her glance his way a few times.

His gaze moved over the room. Jefferson and Cortez stood at the doors. Michaelson was stationed at the right corner. Coffin and Dyers were behind the head table, and a few American aurors were with them. He finally landed on Sharp and Jack, searching the crowd. Sharp didn't speak, but Jack talked nonstop. That made Harry smile. Then Jack's eyes caught his. He patted Sharp's shoulder, who looked over and nodded at something the American said.

"Excuse me, Professor," Harry said, stepping away.

Jack approached him, falling into step with him once again. "Anything?" he asked.

Harry exhaled and shook his head. He'd worked the room earlier with the American. The conversation had been light, though a few times the man had tried to sneak in questions about a certain auror. It was subtly done, and every time, Harry couldn't fight the smile that slipped onto his lips. Jack seriously had a thing for Sharp.

"I just received word that the President and Minister are ready," Jack told him a moment later.

Harry nodded and steered them towards the ballroom doors. Movement drew his attention to their right, where Draco Malfoy stormed from a shadowy table, a cold look on his face. "Potter," he muttered then moved on before Harry could say anything.

"Friend?" Jack asked, watching Malfoy walk away.

"Not really." Harry continued forward through the ballroom doors and turned to his left where a small group stood. Both Kingsley and the President were surrounded by aurors. The President laughed at something then he saw them approaching. "Jack, Potter. I think we're ready." He patted Kingsley's shoulder. 

Robards stepped over. He looked at his watch. "Lead them in, Potter."

"Yes," Harry said, stepping back. "Clear the way," he added to Jefferson and Cortez.

An announcement was made when the two men entered the room, but all Harry's attention was on the crowd. He led the way, the President and Kingsley shaking hands and speaking to those they passed on the way to the head table. Jack pulled up the rear, eyes scanning the room as they all moved. The second the men were at the table, Harry took a step back and stood by the Golden Unicorn Horn. 

He had the best seat in the house. People moved throughout the ballroom, chatting, drinking, a few even dancing. From here, he'd see when Fyrefox made his move. Once the man was caught, the wizarding world would be a bit safer. Fyrefox wasn't exactly a danger, didn't kill but what if things got out of hand? The thief's tricks could turn lethal. Harry had to preven that. And if the thief spent a few years in Azkaban, maybe he'd go straight. Stay out of trouble indefinitely.

"What's on your mind?" Jack asked softly, coming to stand beside him.

Harry shrugged. "The future."

The left side of Jack's lips rose. "You guys are something else."

Harry glared. "What does that mean?"

"Any sightings of this thief?" Jack asked instead, looking around the ballroom. His eyes landed on the head table then moved over to the dance floor then the aurors surrounding the entire room. Then snapped back as a couple approached the head table. He straightened then relaxed when they moved around towards Harry.

It was Neville and Hannah. Harry smiled. "Neville, Hannah." He shook Neville's hand and introduced Jack. "Jack Times, the American Head Auror for the President."

Jack shook both their hands. "Pleasure to meet you. Any friends of Potters are friends of mine."

Harry shook his head. 

"How are you enjoying your time here?" Neville took in the man.

"Been interesting so far." Jack smiled. "But I bet it's going to get even more so soon."

Harry shot him a look, but the man ignored him. 

"You don't say." Neville looked between them.

"I should make my rounds with the President," Jack said, and when Harry followed his gaze, he caught the President looking at them over his shoulder. "He already thinks I'm too distracted." Jack shook his head. "Nice to meet you both," he added then stepped away.

Grinning, Harry watched the man lean forward and whisper something into the President's ear. After a nod, the President stood and the two stepped away from the head table and out to the crowd.

"How have you been, Harry?" Neville asked, pulling back his attention.

"Busy with work." He sighed. "Haven't had a chance to breathe."

"Sounds stressful," Hannah said, head tilted. "Have you been eating and sleeping, Harry? It isn't good to go without either."

He shrugged. "Hardly have the time."

"That's terrible." Hannah frowned and shook her head.

"Actually, I've been meaning to talk to you, Neville... Neville?" Harry noticed his friend looking around the ballroom. "Something wrong, Neville?"

"Neville." Hannah elbowed him.

Neville jumped, turning back to them. "Sorry. What?"

"Everything okay?" Harry asked. Was he looking for someone?

"No, just looking for... someone," Neville said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Harry had an idea of who, and just like that, Ginny was front and center in his thoughts. Luscious red hair, freckled smooth skin, bright brown eyes, pink tempting lips-

"Harry?" Neville yanked him back. 

Harry ran his fingers through his hair, trying to clear his mind, but it was pointless. Ginny in that strapless black gown. Merlin. His throat went dry. He took a deep breath to slow his rapidly beating hear then pushed his glasses up his nose. "Last I saw her, she was slipping into the corner at the front of the ballroom." He indicated the spot. "Now, I've got to make my rounds," he said, slipping away from the couple and into the crowd.

*               *               *

Off Harry went, and Neville sighed. He hadn't meant to be so noticable, and since his mind had been on finding Ginny, he'd answered honestly. Merlin's Beard. That look. Harry still loved Ginny. It was there in the longing and need. 

"Damn," he whispered.

"Don't worry, Neville." Hannah squeezed his arm. "Harry will be fine."

"I didn't mean to bring up Ginny." He frowned. "I know he doesn't like to talk about it. Not many know how broken up he was after their split. The first and second time. But-" He stopped and shook his head. "He felt obligated to help the people. Because of that, he hurt her and himself."

They turned together and watched him move through the crowd. Every few steps, he would look back their way.

"Poor Harry," she said. "Poor Ginny. All this hurt for no reason. They both love each other. It's always so hard to-"

"Love?" He cut her off. "I wouldn't say Ginny still loves him." He looked towards the corner where Harry had pointed, and sure enough, the redhead sat at the table, legs crossed, watching the room.

"Love and hate, there's such a thin line between the two, Neville." She pointed out.

He looked away from Ginny, who had her purse on her lap and was searching through it, to Hannah, who watched him knowingly. He smiled. Maybe, maybe not, he thought. "How do you know this?" 

"Woman's intuition." She smiled back.

Laughing, he pulled her into his arms and brushed his lips against hers. "Dance with me," he whispered.

"I'd love to," Hannah whispered back as he led her towards the center of the ballroom and the moving couples.

*               *               *

The night was almost over, and nothing had happened. He checked his watch. Late into the night, people would be leaving soon. He stood behind the head table, before the pedestal. He looked at his watch again. Jack stood beside him, eyes always watching. Harry wanted to scream. What was the thief waiting for? He'd been so certain. Tonight was the night. This was it.

"Stop fidgeting, Potter. You're making me nervous," Jack muttered.

"It's been hours," he said. "I expected him to show." Heat rolled up his back. He pulled on the collar of his uniform. "It was supposed to be now."

"Maybe you're overthinking this," Jack said, and Harry remembered him saying that last night. Maybe he was? No, no he wasn't.

"No." Harry watched the crowd. "No, it's tonight."

"Well, the night's almost ov- Holy shit!" Jack rubbed his side and glared at the President sitting in front of them. "Old man, what's your problem?"

"Your voice is loud and graiting on my ears," the President told him. "I'm trying to have a conversation with Kingsley, man."

Harry bit the inside of his cheek to keep his face neutral then rolled his shoulders as heat beat against his back. He peeked at the pedestal, but nothing was out of place.

"You bastard," Jack hissed. "I'll get you for that." He stepped closer to Harry.

Harry looked back as the President waved away Jack's words, leaning towards Kingsley, who was openingly grinning at them.

Harry rolled up the sleeves of his uniform. Merlin, it was hot.

Jack leaned over and whispered, "You're so lucky Kingsley's your boss."

"Jack," the President said.

"Fine!" Jack pushed Harry a little to their left, a few feet away from the head table and the pedestal. When they were out of earshot, Jack shot a look around the room. "Hey, I've been meaning to ask-"

The lanterns went out, the room went dark, not a light in sight. Harry's heart skipped a beat. Screams filled the room then hundreds of lights appeared, lumos bouncing from witch to wizard, until a soft glow filled the room.

This was it. Fyrefox was showing himself.

"Is this it?" Jack whispered. A group of his aurors appeared in seconds. Ready, alert.

Harry moved past him to Robards. "It's starting."

Robards nodded and moved towards Kingsley and the President. "Gentlemen, I think it's time you take your leave."

"Looks like the trouble's about to start," Kingsley whispered, getting to his feet.

"Seems so," the President said, nodding. They proceeded to follow Robards out a side door. "Come along, Jack."

Jack looked at Harry then towards the President. "I'll stay a little bit longer. I think I can help some. Tanner, Dieguez, your on the President. Mejia, Douglas, Easter, make your way through the crowd. The rest of you, keep an eye on the President. We'll meet back at the Auror Headquarters in-" He looked at his watch. "An hour."

With a nod, off they went.

The President shot him a look then sighed. "Do as you please, Jack. You always do." He turned away and followed behind Kingsley and Robards.

Jack grinned then looked at Harry. "Now, what?"

As the words left his mouth, fireworks broke out on the dance floor. Harry rushed forward, yelling at people to get back, away, out of the room, anything but in his way. The fireworks shot out, blinding lights of reds, greens, blues, yellows, purples, a blur of magic and fireworks and patterns. It was beautiful, and if Harry hadn't been as worried about Fyrefox, he might have enjoyed it.

It took a moment, but before he knew it, the crowd was pulled into the display. They thought it was part of the ball. They were thoroughly distracted. 

Wait. 

He stopped within the crowd. Jack shot past him towards the fireworks. Harry looked back at the head table and the pedestal behind it. All alone.

Someone called his name, at least he thought so.

"Potter!" Sharp rushed over, moving through the crowd, Ron elbowed his way. He spotted Michaelson and Jefferson and Cortez and a few other plain clothed aurors running towards the firework display.

Ron had his wand in hand, turning towards the fireworks when Harry grabbed his arm. "No!"

Everyone's attention was on the fireworks. No one was looking at the Golden Unicorn Horn. All alone. Unguarded.

"No!" He shouted, turning back.

"Harry, Fyrefox is over-" Ron started, but Harry was running the other way, back to the head table. It was like wading through the ocean. 

The Grand Finale was in full swing. Blasts of colors filled the air. All the excitement almost had him at a standstill. He tried to fight through.

"Get out of the way!" He yelled.

"Hey, watch it!" A wizard said in response.

"Under wizard law, you've got to get out of the-" Harry started as his line of sight to the Golden Unicorn Horn was cleared. His eyes widened as he got an eyeful of the pedestal as the air around it shimmered.

A final blast of fireworks went off. The crowd stared, transfixed. Harry was locked a dozen feet away.

Then silence.

Whispers started around him, but no one saw, no one was looking where he was.

A figure appeared within the shimmer. Flaming red locks and a strapless black gown. A wicked grin. And then with a loud snap, the Golden Unicorn Horn held tightly in her thieving grasp, she apparated.

*

Anddddd now Harry knows! What do you think is going to happen now? What's he going to do? But Ginny's finally gotten what she wanted XD I'm sorry it's been a bit since I've last upload. It's been a little hectic, but I hope you've enjoyed this chapter.  And thanks, as always, for all your support. Means so much to me. More to come <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 167 22
Following the war...long after her friends had married and went off to live their own lives...Y/N, a Ravenclaw and close friend of Harry's, returned...
1.3M 51.9K 42
The survivors of the Second Wizarding War return to Hogwarts after a summer of rebuilding and healing. Harry had been offered a position for Auror Tr...
357 73 11
[Draco Malfoy x female MC] **PREVIOUSLY TITLED LOVE IS MAE** It's been eleven years since the Battle of Hogwarts, eleven years since Mae Pond last se...
145K 4.8K 33
first book in the Evelyn Black series • • sequal: BACK TO LOVE [ i promise the second book is better lol ] • slow slow-burn (like years) friends...