Chapter 72: I Do

"You ready honey?" Callie's father asks as her hand moves around his arm, standing behind everyone.

            "Yeah, just don't let me fall."

            "Never," her dad answers, kissing his daughter's temple as the ceremony begins.

            To begin the ceremony, Josh's best man, brother Matt and Callie's maid of honor, best friend Hannah lead the rest of the wedding party down the aisle before splitting up and standing on their sides. The other three of the bridal party including Callie's other friend from Texas, Emily, and Josh's two sisters Jordan and Lacey. And for the groom's side, the others including Kiley's husband, Josh's brother-in-law Corey and two of the guys that are in the military with Josh. Bryan and Eric.

             After the wedding party is situated, family and friends erupt in awe's as little Kaiser walks down the aisle. The box miraculously still in hand as he's clad in little black dress pants, a white button up shirt, a black bow tie, suspenders and a fedora. "Ring Security," on his back. Kaiser sees his dad as he stays on the path right to Josh. The family and friend's chuckle. After handing the rings to his father, Kaiser runs to his Grandpa Collins giggling. Next to walk down the aisle, Josh's niece throws flower petals down the aisle, wearing a mini version of Callie's dress. Last but not least, Zach, the adorable little nephew holding a sign reading, "Uncle Josh, here comes your girl," wearing the same attire as Kaiser. 

            The music begins to play, everyone rises from their seats as Callie and her father Stan begin to walk down the aisle. A few guests begin to get teary eyed upon seeing Callie, along with Josh whose eyes fill with tears as well. His eyes closed, fingers against his eyes as he tries to compose himself. Matt patting his back. Callie takes a deep breath as she joins Josh.

            "You look gorgeous," Josh leans in to whisper in her ear.

            "Thank you," she smiles, reaching up and wiping his eyes before taking his hands. Everyone taking their seats.

              "Friends, we have joined together here today to share with Joshua Zachary Collins and Callie Renee Jacobs an important moment in their lives," the minister begins. "In their time together so far, they have seen their love and understanding of each other grow and blossom and now they have decided to live out the rest of their lives as one. If one person can show just why they should not be joined together – let them speak now, or forever hold their peace.

             Silence.

             "Good, that's what I like to not hear," he winks at the couple. "So, marriage? What is marriage? Well, it's the joining of two people, coming together in heart, body and mind. By coming together, Josh and Callie make a commitment together to face their disappointments, embrace their dreams, realize their hopes and accept each other's failures. They are promising each other to well, one another. But today folks, we are here today to witness the joining in matrimony of Josh and Callie. This occasion marks the celebration of love and commitment with which this man and woman begin their lives together, and now through me, He joins you together in one of the holiest bonds. Who gives this woman in marriage to this man?" the minister asks, looking up from his notebook.

             Callie's father rises from his seat. "Her father and her family," he answers before taking his seat.

             "Josh and Callie have written their own vows which they would like to read in front of all of you," the minister nods to give them the go ahead.

             Callie begins. "I promise to honor the sacrifice you are making for the sake of this country," she says, holding Josh's hands. "I will continue with our commitment today when we are far away from each other. I will show my love for you whether we are oceans apart or in the same room. I pray for your safety when you are with me and even more when you are away from me. I will make it my responsibility for you to have a loving home to come home to because I love you and we are a family now. My home is wherever you are. I will follow you anywhere and everywhere, hand in hand. I know as long as we are together it would be a happy and laughter filled place to be," she says, a few tears falling from a few people's eyes. "When we must be apart in distance, I vow to have the strength to keep us close in spirit and the confidence to keep our life on track. I do."

             A few sniffles break the silence in the room. Josh grins, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. "I will do everything I can to stay safe when I am away from you because I understand that I have a responsibility not just to my country, but to our life together. I acknowledge and honor our own sacrifice you make by choosing a partner who serves their country. I am so lucky to have found you. I hope you do understand that your life with me will not be normal. That you may have to explain to our children, not once, but twice and more often in the same day that mom's do have husbands and children do have daddy's and that the picture of the man on the fridge is not a random guy but the same man who tucks them in at twenty-two hundred hours, long after they're asleep.

             "This soldier is a daddy who loves him very much. I promise to comfort you and love you from far away via postal service, email or over the phone or even that video chat stuff. Every moment that we are apart, trust that I am thinking of you and counting the moments till we can be back together. I do."

             More eyes fill with tears as the couple finish their vows to one another. Reaching into his pants pocket, he retrieves the rings, handing his ring to Callie and placing hers in his right hand.

             "I, Josh, give you Callie, this ring as an eternal symbol of my love and commitment to you," Josh grins, sliding the diamond encrusted band on Callie's finger.

              "I, Callie, give you Josh, this ring as an eternal symbol of my love and commitment to you," Callie copies, sliding the black Titanium ring around his finger.

             "Now, Callie and Josh would like to participate in the sand unity," the minister says as Kaiser runs up to Josh, interrupting the ceremony. Picking up his son, Josh kisses his cheek as the attendee's chuckle softly. Leaving Kaiser in his arms, Callie and himself begin to pour two different colors of sand into one separate glass vase. Callie and Josh pour their remaining sand into a third vase, the sane mixing.

             "The individual containers of sand," the minister begins, referring to the two glasses of yellow sand and the other filled with blue sand, "will no longer exist as they are now joined together as one. These grains of sand can never be separated and poured again into the individual vases, so will the love and bond between the two of you render you inseparable," the minister finishes as Josh sets Kaiser down, making a beeline for his Grandpa Jacobs.

              "By the power vested in me, by the state of Michigan" the minister continues, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. Josh, you may now kiss your bride."

            With that, Josh slides his hands on Callie's neck, leaning in and softly planting his lips against Callie's. Their family and friends clapping and whistling with the betrothed kiss. With his one hand still on her neck, Josh thrusts his clenched fist into the air. Pulling away, Josh gives a final peck on Callie's forehead and then taking her head.

             "I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Zachary Collins," the minister answers.