Chapter 2: Saved By A Text

Kalamazoo, Michigan, the population exceeding 75,000 people and home to many sights to see, about 142.2 miles from Detroit. Callie and her family have lived in this cozy city all their lives. Her dad, Stan Jacobs is one of the top highest paid lawyers in the state of Michigan. Her mother a laid back kindergarten teacher. Callie is a senior at Kal Central High school, home of the Tigers. Kal Central is one of the most prominent high schools in Kalamazoo County.

            With the big school, they also live up to their sports teams. The Kal Central Tigers are extraordinary in their sports teams as well as their academics. The Tigers football team has brought home many titles and have also been the home of college and NFL draft picks. The same things goes for the softball team. Callie Jacobs is the definition of a dedication and hard work. She is one of the star players on the team and is studious, a straight A student, member of the National Honors Society, and in the Art Club. Hardly having time for her friends can be difficult, but Callie knows, and also what her parents have drilled into her head, that school comes first before friends even though at times she wished it was reversed. However, when she isn't studying for her next test or quiz, she's continuously practicing her pitching. Her academic career has paid off, but her athletic one has been the primary factor.

            In the middle of her junior year, she was offered a full ride scholarship to The University of Texas – Austin on her pitching. With much thinking and weighing the other options that were thrown at her, Callie committed herself to the Texas Longhorns, her first real commitment. Even though her friends are always giving her a hard time about not going out since she already has a school lined up, it doesn't bother her. She's practically used to everyone's comments. However, it's not just Callie who is strict about keeping up her grades and softball, her parents are even worse. They have shared that they are tough on her because they know she has star potential and won't allow her to date. Callie has never had a boyfriend, a date, let along kissed a guy.

            As Callie gets ready, she wonders what her day is going to consist of. She's pretty convinced that it is going to be a typical day. She'll go to class, talk to her friends between periods, study during lunch instead of eating, and last but not least, practice before heading home where she will break out her homework and work on that till she passes out from exhaustion. Dressed in jeans, a purple tank top, a black cardigan, and a little bit of makeup, Callie makes her way downstairs. Turning the corner to the kitchen, she walks in, her mother cooking breakfast and her father sitting at the barstool drinking his coffee and reading the morning newspaper.

            "Morning," Callie calls out, getting out the freshly squeezed pitcher of orange juice, pouring herself a glass.

            "Morning hun," her dad chimes.

            "Do you have time for breakfast?" her mother asks, getting out a plate and filling it with scrambled eggs and sausage.

            Callie sits down at the barstool beside her dad and begins to eat.

            "Get that paper done last night?" her dad asks, not looking away from the newspaper.

            "Yes."

            "And your history presentation?"

            "Yes," Callie answers again. She finishes eating her breakfast just as her phone rings  in her pocket, alerting her that she has received a text message.

            "Can you give me a ride to school?" the message reads, it coming from her best friend, Courtney.

            "I got to go. Courtney wants me to pick her up," Callie slides off the barstool and places her dishes in the sink. "Thanks for breakfast. I'll see you guys after practice," grabbing her book bag and practice bag, giving both her parents a kiss on the cheek.