Chapter 75: Class Reunion

A few weeks before attending the reunion, the two have found out that their family is growing by one more. Callie pregnant with baby Collins number two. Having no say in the matter, the family of three have arrived in Michigan so the two can attend their reunion. Josh not keen on the whole idea.

            Around four o'clock, Josh and Callie get ready for their reunion. It begins at six at one of the banquet halls in a church.

            "Thank you so much Linda for watching Kaiser," Callie says. His mom coming over to watch her grandson.

            "Oh, honey it's no problem. Are you excited to see everyone?" Linda asks.

             "Um –"

            "I'm not," Josh interrupts, sitting down on the couch. "I don't want to see those people, but the wife is dragging me there."

            "Marriage is about making sacrifices honey," Callie smirks and wraps her arms around Josh before planting a kiss on his cheek. "Come on, we're going to be late."

            "I don't want to go mom. Don't make me," Josh pouts as he gets up and pulls his jacket on.

            "Have fun you two," Linda smiles as she takes Kaiser into the living room.

            "You ready for this?" Callie asks as Josh places the vehicle in park.

            "Ready as I'll ever be, I guess," he answers, unhooking his seatbelt as he already sees a few familiar faces walking into the hall.

            "I love you," Callie says as she leans over and kisses him on the cheek.

             Walking hand in hand into the building where the reunion is taking place, a few eyes already trained on them. They keep walking until they get to a table to check in before getting to their own table.

             "Well, that's a way to make an entry," Josh mumbles as they sit down.

            "I doubt the whole graduating class knows we're married," Callie exclaims, patting Josh's hand. As Callie looks around, she sees familiar faces including Abby who is married herself and Nicole. She waves at them as they share a wave back before going back to their conversation. Then, Callie did not prepare herself for what she sees next. Walking hand in hand through the front door is Callie's ex-best friend Courtney Smith, her arms linked with Jax Michaels. The two girls make brief eye contact and look away as Courtney makes her way towards the couple.

            "Be nice," Callie says softly as she squeezes Josh's hand.

            "What?"

            "Hi," Josh hears Courtney greet Callie as she stands up. Josh following suit.

            "I think congratulations are in order," Courtney smiles, "on your marriage."

            "Well thank you," Callie answers. Josh behind Callie.

            "Hey Josh."

            "Hi Courtney. How have you been?" Josh asks, even though he doesn't care.

             "I'm good. You guys remember Jax Michaels don't you?" Courtney asks, sliding her hand on his chest. They both nod their heads and shake hands. "We're engaged," Courtney smiles before leaning up and softly kissing Jax on his lips.

            "Well, congratulations. What have you guys been up to?" Callie asks as she feels Josh's hand slide on her lower back.

            "I'm a preschool teacher and Jax is a defense attorney. We live in Ann Arbor. We've been engaged for a year, together for three," Courtney boasts.

             "Well, that's exciting."

            "You guys are still in Texas correct?" Courtney asks.

            "Yes, Josh is stationed there and I'm a Physical Therapist for disabled veterans," Callie smiles. "We have a two-year-old son and one on the way."

            "Well, congrats."

            "You're in the military?" Jax turns to Josh.

            "Yeah, the Marines."

            "Rank?"

             "I'm an E-8," Josh answers proudly. Jax looking dumbfounded. "I'm a First Sergeant and also part of the SOC. The Marines Special Operations Command."

            "Ah I see," Jax says. "Babe, do you want a drink?"

            Josh rolls his eyes, looking away.

            "Yeah, we'll catch you guys later okay?"

             And with that, the two walk away as Josh plops down on the chair. "I need a drink like a stiff one," Josh sighs.

            "Yeah, me too," Callie sits as well.

            "That guy is an idiot," Josh chuckles, pulling his phone out of his pocket.

            "Yeah, the look he gave you was priceless. Anything from your mom?"

            "Nope," Josh smiles. "Our terrible toddler must not be giving his grandma too much of a hard time."

             "Well, that's a shocker."