Chapter 17: Giggle Fit

The bar is nearly empty as the pair have talked for hours. Callie cutting herself off after consuming two beers and now sipping on a cold glass of water. Josh retrieves his wallet and pays the tab before his eyes land on Callie.

            "Well, I don't want to keep you from your studying and all that," he smirks as they walk out to the parking lot. Callie fiddling with her keys.

             "Do you want to come over? I have nothing to do the rest of the night, or are you not allowed to be out past a certain time?" Callie asks.

            "I don't live on base, but I'd love to come over for a bit," Josh states.

            "Okay," she nods. "Well do you want to follow me?"

            "After you," he winks as the two climb in their vehicles and Josh trails behind her. They pull up to her apartment complex and walk through her door within ten minutes.

            "Well, this is nice," Josh says, shutting the door behind him upon entering.

            "Thank you. It's a nice little apartment. It has a full bedroom, open kitchen, living room and a pretty decent size bathroom. The college pays for it," she shrugs.

            "That's awesome," he says. "Do you want me to take off my shoes or anything?" he asks, watching her slip hers off by the front door.

            "No, it's fine. I do it out of habit. You know, my mother and all," she chuckles.

            "Right," he laughs back. "How are your parents by the way?"

            "They're good. Eager for me to move back home after college," she answers, escorting him to the kitchen.

            "Oh, is that so?"

            Callie nods. "Yeah, evidently me having a dream to play professional is just that, a dream and a waste of my college education," she says.

            "Alright," he smirks, sliding on the barstool. "Well, how's softball going?"

             "Really well," she answers. "Do you want something to drink?" she asks, opening the fridge.

            "Water's fine with me," he says as she grabs two bottles, sliding one over to him.

             "Do you mind if I change my clothes?" Callie asks taking a sip.

             "No, not at all. Go ahead."

            "Okay," she says, padding to her bedroom and shutting the door. She pulls on some yoga pants, a TEXAS softball shirt and joins Josh on the couch.

            "Well, don't you look comfy."

            "I've been in jeans today. It was time to take them off," Callie chuckles.

             "I was in my uniform all day, so jeans aren't that bad," he counters, taking another sip of his water. "So, you only have a year and a half left or so huh?"

            "Yeah, actually, back to that pro softball talk, I will have some pro scouts watching the game on Saturday," Callie says proudly.

            "That's great. I honestly didn't know pro softball was that big of a deal."

            "There's a team in Chicago that want me to play for them. The Chicago Bandits?"

            "Really?" Josh asks impressed. "That's a big change from Texas," Josh says, leaning back and crossing his arms.

             "I know, but closer to Michigan."

             "Well yeah, closer to the family."

              "Which will make my parents oh so happy. They keep trying to set me up with their friends kid every time I'm home and I just don't think I'm ready for that."

             "Ready for what? Being set up or going home?" he questions.

             She just looks at him and smiles.

            "So, have you dated anyone since high school?"

            Callie shakes her head no. Almost embarrassed to admit.

            "Let me guess, school and softball," he says, sliding his arm on the back of the couch. His hand lightly touching her shoulder.

           "And study and sleep," Callie continues. "The four S's to live by."

            "No fun," he smirks.

            Callie's eyes find the TV, feeling his arm against her back.

            "When was the last time you went out on a date?"

            "High school and I wouldn't even really consider it a date. It was with Charlie Gandson and we went to a family reunion, out of all places for a first date."

            "No shit? A family reunion?" Josh can't help but laugh.

            "Yes!" she exclaims, hitting his arm with the pillow.

             "You're joking? You are a gorgeous, amazing woman and the last time you went out was high school?"

            "Yeah, that's bad now that you put it like that," Callie laughs.