Chapter 67: Vicarious Living

To Callie's surprise, the first five months have gone by but only being able to accomplish that by keeping herself busy. Kaiser is growing up fast as well. The little boy looking more and more like his father every day. He's also beginning to walk and walking a lot along with getting into everything. He's been a handful for Callie, constantly picking up after him. But Hannah and Emily sticking to their words and have stayed with the mother and son pair. Callie grateful for their company.

            With only three months to go, Callie is getting anxious with each passing day. She keeps herself occupied till the day arrives. After a long day of work and picking Kaiser up from the babysitter, she makes dinner. Hannah coming over and spending the night. Callie hears Kaiser playing along with the TV. He's transformed from a completely helpless newborn into an independent little person and Callie couldn't be prouder.

            "Hey, I'm here," Callie hears Hannah walk through the front door.

            "In the kitchen," Callie shouts.

             "Hey stud muffin," Hannah greets Kaiser, erupting giggles from the little boy. "Hey love," Callie hears Hannah as she walks in.

             "Hi."

            "I come baring alcohol," Hannah laughs, placing the bottle of wine on the countertop.

            "Thank god. I need some of that after my day," Callie admits.

            "How are you holding up?" Hannah asks. "Only a few more months, right?"

             "It's just slowing down I feel like," Callie says.

            "Yeah, I bet. Well, you're almost there."

            "Yeah, then he's finally home."

             "Is he done? Like after he gets back?"

              "He said he was done and getting out as soon as he gets home," Callie says, continuing to cook. "He wants to grow our family more," Callie grins.

             "I'm ready for another one," Hannah smirks.

            "You're ready for another one?" Callie asks. "Why don't you and your man go have a baby?"

            "Because," Hannah says. "I live vicariously through you. We all know my man," Hannah chuckles, "isn't ready for kids yet."

            "Live vicariously through me huh? That's the easy way."