29

Gina's POV

I think I'm awake. My eyes still feel heavy and they stay shut. How long have I been out? Where am I? Am I even alive? I stop think for a second and relax. I feel my heart beating inside my chest. I hear my own breath and fell my lungs inhale and exhale. I'm alive. Holy Moon Goddess! I'm alive!

Then the pain starts up again. My chest feels like somebody is firing a nail gun in it as well as running a blowtorch. Dude, I'm trying here! Jenna snaps. I'm surprised I can even hear her. Fantastic, huh? She says. Must be in a bit of a bad mood. Can't say I blame her. Wake up, idiot, she commands. I try and open my eyes. I can't.

Try harder. I keep trying to open them. Come on, I can do this. I harness as much energy as I can and force them open. The blinding white hospital lights flood my sight. Colorful spots dance around my field of vision. I ear the beeping of the machines I'm attached to and the drone of the fluorescent lights.

I still feel so tired. It is difficult for me to even move. I eventually crane my neck around to look at my surroundings. I see the bag of purple sedatives, almost empty. I'm in a small hospital room. I'm also alone. The curtains cover the windows, so I can't see what time of day it is. It gets easier the more I move. Soon I can sit up a bit more.

The door opens and a nurse walks in. "You're not supposed to be awake." Thank you, captain obvious. I shrug my shoulders a bit, then bite my tongue in pain. Mental note: do not shrug my shoulders. The nurse races over and starts fussing about with a check up. The poking and prodding start to be ton my nerves quickly. And painfully. "Would it kill you to stop poking my chest. Not like it hurts or anything," I snap. My voice still doesn't sound like my own.

I hate the sound. Hoarser and deeper. The nurse looks at me in surprise briefly, but quickly continues her checkup. I'm very happy when she leaves. Holy h3ll, she was annoying! Jenna says. I can't disagree. But a doctor comes in moments later. Great. "This is unexpected. How are you even awake? That's one of our strongest sedatives," he says. Strongest? Really? Pathetic.

But I'm not saying anything. I'm not going to tell him anything. "Okay, fine. How are you feeling?" He asks. I resist the urge to roll my eyes. I've been shot in the chest by a silver bullet! How do you think I'm feeling? "Been better," I reply. The doctor writes something down on a clipboard.

"If you're wondering, it is 9:15 in the morning and you've been out for 12 hours. You were supposed to be out for 14, but you're conscious." 12 hours! Wow. Then, my thoughts shift. Josh! What about Josh? I feel selfish now for taking so long to worry about him. What kind of mother am I? "And your son, Joshua, is currently safe with Cody Cameron." I breathe a sigh of relief and wince in pain. No deep breathing, apparently.

"Visiting hours start at 9:20. I expect you'll have visitors the second the clock reads that number." He finishes talking and leaves. Okay. The next five minutes seem to go by slowly. But at exactly 9:20, Cody and Josh burst through the door. That doctor called it. I owe him five bucks. Josh practically jumps on me for a hug. I ignore the pain and hug him.

"Hey buddy," I say happily. Even in the last 24 hours, this is the best part. Well, it has its ups and downs. The second Josh lets go, Cody hugs me. "You're alive!" He says, overjoyed. I look at him when he lets go. I'm actually surprised that I'm alive, but I'm not saying that. "Well duh. Even a bullet can't stop me!" I say. I make sure I don't show my pain. They've probably worried enough.

"Where's the," I stop and cover Josh's ears. "unstable scumbag?" I ask Cody. His face hardens slightly. That can't be good. "Back in the mental hospital in the same cell he escaped from. Only this time with a broken jaw and a straightjacket." Broken jaw? Nice work. And hopefully he stays safely inside that cell. "Better in there than walking the streets," I say.

Josh looks very confused. "Is Daddy a bad person?" He asks. He figured it out. Oh my Moon Goddess he figured it out! "Yes, Joshie. That's why Mama didn't tell you about him," I reply. The emotional part of my conscience weighs me down a bit. He knows. "Well, I'm glad he's far, far away. He won't bother us again, right?" He asks. Hopefully. I put a smile on my face. I take Josh's hand. "Of course, buddy," I reply.

Anything could happen now.

___________________________________________________________________________

I know, super boring. But, more like a filler. More drama ahead, people!

Will Nick ever make a reappearance? Guess in the comments!

Vote! Follow! Comment!

W.L.W