Chapter Sixteen

Zander's P.O.V.

Zander heard his step sister, "Bye Luke. Happy cleaning."

"Bye Luke," Zander said, saying goodbye to his best friend, before walking off to the library with Hailey. Zander turned his head, just to check, and make sure Luke was going off to the music room. After confirming Luke was, he pulled his phone out from his pant's pocket, and sent Stacy a quick text, saying he was alone in there, and then resumed walking to the library.

Hailey seemed to have noticed Zander was looking back at Luke, and asked, "Why did you need Luke to stay after school in the music room?"

"You'll see later," Zander answered, "More importantly, what is this supposed book thing in the library you need my help with?"

"Oh, yeah. Well, you know how we are going to have to start writing our essays for our books next week?"

"Yes."

"Well," Hailey's face seemed to blush a little, and she seemed embarrassed, "I completely forgot to choose out a book."

Zander put his hand to his forehead, and groaned, "Hailey!"

"I'm sorry! I just somehow never got around to it. And I was wondering if you could possibly help me choose out a book to read?"

"You have the weekend to read the whole thing. And you are an extremely slow reader."

"I only read slow because all of the classic old-timey books use extremely fluffy language, and I get lost in the details! And that's why I need your help, to choose out a book that won't bore me to death."

"Fine," Zander said reluctantly. In reality he wasn't that reluctant to the idea at all though. He knew it wouldn't take too long to choose something.

After a little more walking, Hailey and Zander reached the school library.

Hailey gazed around at the vast amount of bookshelves that filled the room before asking, "Okay. What are you thinking?"

Zander put a hand to his chin, "Let me think." Hailey wasn't a big reader, and usually didn't read on her own. But when she did, it tended to be more fantastical type books. And Zander knew she couldn't stand what she referred to as "fluffy language," so he tried to think of classic books with a more straightforward writing style. "Okay," Zander said, "I think I have an idea."

Zander walked down to the sci-fi section of the library, with Hailey following from behind, and went to the A-C aisle, for the author's last names. He pulled out a book that had a spaceship, and a young boy in front of it on the cover.

"This is Ender's Game," Zander explained, "Written by Orson Scott Card. The basic plot is that there is this young boy named Ender, who works toward becoming a soldier to defeat aliens, because aliens are trying to take over the world. Or something like that. It's been a while since I've read it."

Hailey grabbed the book from Zander's hands, and looked down at it, "Okay, that actually sounds somewhat interesting," she looked back up at Zander, and pointed a finger at the book, "This is actually a classic? It sounds too interesting to be one."

Zander rolled his eyes at Hailey's comment, where she basically said classic books weren't interesting, but then decided to answer the question, "Well, it's kind of a classic. It was written in the eighties, so it really isn't that old. But it's acclaimed enough at this point, to where it should be fine for Ms. Jones' class. It's not too long either."

"Okay," Hailey said, seeming satisfied by what Zander chose for her, "I'll go check it out. I also have a small thing to check on one of the library computers."