Chapter One

Zander's P.O.V.

Ever since he was a child, he hadn't allowed himself to think of his friend in anything other than that. A friend. He wasn't suppressing any of these thoughts though. He was just cutting off the possibility of them ever happening. The last time he felt any type of anything for his friend, they were in elementary school. Grade three he was pretty sure. It was during recess, and they were sitting on a patch of grass, talking.

"Are you sure you don't wanna play tag?"

"I'm sure, Zander. I'd rather sit here with you!"

Zander wasn't sure why, but whenever his friend would be nice like that, it made him feel...uncomfortable? He wasn't sure that quite was the right word, but he knew the feeling.

"Luke!" a girl that was in their class ran up to them, clearly just to talk to his friend, and not him. The girl was wearing some pink shorts, and a yellow tank top with a small flower embroidered pattern. She was also carrying something in her right hand, but Zander couldn't tell what it was.

"Hi Kelly!" Luke responded. The girl walked closer until she was standing in front of where Luke was sitting. She nervously shuffled, putting her hands behind her back.

"I picked these for you..." Kelly pulled out a mini bouquet of tiny flowers she found in the schoolyard. Honestly, about a quarter of them looked like they were actually weeds, but that wasn't as important as the gesture itself.

Luke took the flowers from Kelly, "Thank you, Kelly!"

With that, Kelly blushed a little, and then ran away. Zander remembered feeling a sourness then. Maybe it was just because no one ever gave him flowers. Luke had placed the flowers neatly next to him. When he looked up at Zander, he must have been able to tell he was upset, because then he asked, "Would you like one of the flowers?" The sourness went away. Maybe it wasn't about no one giving him flowers, and more so that someone was receiving them at all.

That was the last moment Zander had felt that way anymore. He wasn't "uncomfortable" when Luke complimented him anymore. As many people could ask Luke out as they liked. Zander was fine with it. On some level, in that moment on the school yard, he knew something was starting to form, so he stopped it before it ever became a problem. At this moment though, even though he wasn't, it was hard not to think about it.

His step-sister, Hailey, looked down at the lyrics in her hand, and almost dreamingly continued to sing.

"How will we ever know if the love will ever grow...without trying? Without trying?"

Luke wrote this? Zander thought to himself. Why is Luke writing something like this? Why is he even writing songs? Why didn't he tell me...

"And how will we ever see if we are meant to be? It's terrifying. It's terrifying."

Could he actually feel like this about someone? He probably doesn't. There's so much romance injected into music nowaday that you don't have to have even felt love to write about it.

"That we're meant to be..."

Not that it matters if he does. But why wouldn't he tell me? And why wouldn't he tell me about his interest in songwriting?

"We're meant to be," Hailey finished. The sound track that Sean was playing faded away.

Milly immediately started clapping once the performance concluded, "Ha! You rock Hailey!"

Luke beamed, "That was amazing, Hailey! You sang it so beautifully!"

"See, you were great," Sean complimented, "You should have more confidence in yourself."