Episode 3

Jug and I left Veronica's speakeasy without uttering a word.

We took time - I think - to metabolize in our own way the events that had absorbed our energies in those last days, including the moment we communicated it to our friends.  Because it was true that all the people closely involved in that kind of witch hunt had not hesitated even for a second in offering us their help to unravel that absurd mystery, but it was equally true that the most difficult part of the whole affair began just now.

First of all, because - and was my instinct as a journalist / detective, as Jug jokingly appealed to me, to talk here - if a group of people who are not exactly friends join forces to protect a secret, it means that there is something really important at stake, and that perhaps bringing it back to the surface could trigger a series of consequences that are not too pleasant for those directly involved.

Hell, I thought doubtfully.  In all that frenzy mixed with curiosity of the last few days, I hadn't thought about the possible side effects that our investigation could have unleashed and that would have involved our parents firsthand.

For the first time, I reconsidered the matter.  But would that be the right thing to do?  In short, I was a journalist, or at least I wanted to become one, and a good journalist would have gone all the way to find out the truth.  The fact that the actual members of that elusive The Midnight Club were our parents did not guarantee it an aura of goodness regardless.

Well, we all knew the disreputable conduct of Hiram Lodge and his dear wife Hermione who, in terms of subterfuge, was not exactly a shank of a saint.  And what about my beloved mommy?  Alice had proven over time to be unscrupulous when it came to defending her family, and this also at the expense of 'sacrificing' other people, such as F.P.  Jones, for example.  And of the latter then, do we want to talk about it?  He certainly had skeletons in the closet!  It was said that he had always been a wild young man with a less than exemplary family behind him.  He was one of those who always chose the wrong path, and when he was offered an opportunity to get back on track, in the end, incredibly, he screwed up everything.  Fred Andrews knew it well.

Here, Mr. Andrews' involvement was what surprised me the most.  How could an honest, hardworking, selfless man, always ready to help those in difficulty, have to deal with such an enigmatic story?

However, I did not externalize my conjectures to Jug, I didn't want him to think that I was having second thoughts, because I wasn't, I was determined to find out the truth at all costs, but I decided that if we discovered something compromising about one or more of our parents, and in particular on F.A., perhaps - and I say perhaps - I would have reconsidered  what should be done.

                                  Betty Cooper

•••••••••••••••

Hi there, Riverdale's fans,
How're you doing? Thank you for your patience. It took me a while to come back to update this story, but here I am.
This is a new episode from Betty's point of view. She is having second thoughts, and she is not the one. But you will find out more in the next episode. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile don't forget to read, like and comment to support me and my story and please follow me to stay up to date.

See you in the episode 4 of The Midnight Club

SJM

(I am not a native English speaker, so if you spot any mistake feel free to correct me. Constructive feedback only, please. No haters. I'm learning. Thank you.)