Episode 6

The White Wyam Southside was a bar located in the south of Riverdale, not too far from Southside High - the old district school -  and Sunnyside Trailer Park, where I lived with FP Jones, my father. It was famous for being the hangout of the Serpents, the gang which I had become the leader recently after my old man stepped back. The latter had practically grown up within the gang, being in turn the son of one of its founding members.

My father didn't really like talking about his past, but from what I understood the relationship with my grandfather - Forsythe Pendleton I - had never been idyllic, so he considered the Serpents to be his real family, the ones who 'had always been there for me' he loved to repeat, so much so that over the years he even managed to become its leader until he passed that torch to me. Even though he was no longer the leader of the Serpents, however, my father was still a member and I knew I would find him easily at WWS that late afternoon.

I caught him playing pool and as soon as he saw me, he signalled me to wait. I sat down at the bar and grabbed a soda, nervously thinking about how I was going to start.  I had enthusiastically supported Veronica's idea of ​​dealing with our parents directly without wandering around it too much, but now it was about finding a way that would help me break the ice.

He joined me after about ten minutes and sat down on a stool not far from me, ordering himself a gin. <<Tall Boy is a tough guy, but I proved to him that I have not lost my polish.>> He laughed at SweetPea, a young member of the Serpents who worked at the bar. SweetPea smiled at him and poured him the liquor. << So what did you want to talk to me about? >> he asked me then giving me a pat on the shoulder. With my hand, I swiped the Polaroid I had found among his junk on the counter and then I turned in his direction to catch his reaction. He looked at the photo without lifting it from the table and didn't turn around, just stood there staring at it. The dim lights of the club didn't help me tell if he was worried, surprised or angry, so I stood there waiting for some minimal move on his part.

<< Now you also start rummaging in my stuff? >> he then asked me. << We talk about this at another time, but now tell me: what does it mean? >> I pressed him. I didn't want him to come up with some excuse that would have made me desist from the investigation. He drained his glass of gin and stood up. I grabbed him by the arm. << Not here. >> he told me. I followed him out, and we sat on the fence in the most secluded parking area, where we would not be disturbed by the comings and goings of the club's customers. I saw him take out some tobacco and prepare a cigarette. I found it unusual because my father rarely smoked.

<< Why in all these years have you never told me you were friends? >> I insisted.

<< Because we are not. >> he answered me.

<< But apparently you have been. >> I continued.

<< It's an old story, Jug, forget it. >>

<< If it's an old story, then what's wrong with telling it? >> I insisted.

<< You may not be happy with what you will find out. Don't open Pandora's box, listen to me.>>

I got nervous <<Stop being so cryptic, dad! What was The Midnight Club? >> I asked at that point decisively. << and why did you take so much care in keeping it hidden? >>  My father was nervous, I felt it. << Who saw this photo? I mean, among your friends. >> he asked me then, with a calm tone. << All of them, plus Toni. >> I replied. He nodded.
<< Listen, we made a pact at that time and I can't break it. Let me talk to them first, >> he pointed to the people immortalized in the photo, << and then I'll tell you everything.>>

<< Do you consider me a fool? So you will have time to decide together on a plausible lie to cover? No, I'm not leaving until you tell me the truth. >> I was really furious. What was all that reticence still after more than twenty years? And then the former king of the Serpents who had to ask permission to break a pact signed with a group of sixteen-year-old losers at school? But who was he kidding?

But my father grabbed me by the arm and yanked: << I told you to get it over with, Jughead. >> he yelled at me << Do you think it's all a game? A pastime? Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you my dear, but it's not. There are people involved, their lives and I don't take that responsibility alone because you and your friends want to play investigators. Grow up Jughead, things don't revolve around you, Archie, Betty and Veronica. Life is much more complicated. >> Then he released my arm and I watched him get lost for a moment in his thoughts. I was speechless. I stammered something that was meant to be sorry, but he lifted his arm and motioned me to shut up. He made himself another cigarette and at that moment his phone vibrated. He took it out of his pocket, looked at the screen and gave a grin as if to say: 'here it is' and then replied.

"I guess you didn't call me for the classic routine check, Keller," he said to the voice on the other end of the line. It was in fact the norm for the sheriff's office to contact ex-inmates once they were released from prison, to monitor their conduct and stay informed on the progress of the 'social reintegration procedures' - as they were called in legal jargon - during the first months of its release. My dad had been out for a few years now so the office didn't have to call him, but Keller would contact him from time to time just to make sure he was straight, especially given his activities with the Serpents and 'breathing down his neck', according to the point of view of my father. << Okay, Tom. >> he said then and hung up. It was the first time I had heard him call Sheriff Keller, 'Tom'.

He came up to me and hugged me. Then in a calm tone, he said in my ear << You all have really messed up, Jug. I hope you realize this. The consequences that certain secrets carry are sometimes worse than the secrets themselves, which is why it is better that these remain so. But you will find out the hard way, unfortunately. I love you, son. >> He broke away from that embrace, threw the cigarette he had just started and walked towards the main door of the WWS. 

I stayed there, instead, sitting on that fence wondering if I shouldn't have listened to Archie and let it go. But it was too late now.

Jughead Jones

.........................

Hi, Riverdale fans,

I hope you're well and safe.

What do you think about this new episode of The Midnight Club series?

Why FP, Jughead's father, is so upset? Why did they make a pact about do not to talk about The Midnight Club?

Please, read, like (if you like) and comment on my story and show me your support. And don't forget to follow me to stay up to date on the publication of new episodes. #sharethestory

Thanks and see you next time, stay tuned!

SJM

Author's note: I am not an English native, but I would like to improve my writing, therefore I have decided to write an English version of this story. I am aware there are mistakes in my narrative, therefore I am asking you (English native or near-native speakers) to help me to improve. Feel free to correct my syntax (structure of sentences), vocabulary and punctuation, please. I would really appreciate that. (Constructive feedback only, though. No haters. I am learning.)