seventeen

"thank you so much for doing this honey," his mom said, trying to lighten the mood that had settled over the two of them in the car. she didn't get a response from her son. 

the conversation for the whole car ride was one-sided as karl's mother tried talking to him after the argument they had the day before.

karl was currently looking in the rearview mirror to the empty backseat, where nick was sitting. the two seemed like they were having a staring contest as nick made a funny face, causing karl to begin to laugh.

he tore his eyes away from the mirror to try and control his laughing fit. this earned him a worrisome look from his mom as the two pulled into the parking lot of the building where his appointment was.

"what's so funny?"

"sapnap made a funny face!" karl told her, wiping at his eyes after calming himself down. 

"nobody is here except for us."

karl's mood had been ruined once again as he opened his door to step out into the cool morning air. he zipped up the jacket he was wearing before shoving his hands into his pockets to keep them warm against the cold wind that had been beating everything that morning. 

"there is no reason for this stupid appointment, just saying."

– ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ –

"karl jacobs?" a lady called out, causing karl and his mother to get up from their seats to follow her to a room with a couch and a comfy chair positioned on a wall in the center of the area with two other chairs pushed up against the left wall. the scene made karl feel sick to his stomach. 

"just take a seat and the doctor will be with you in a moment."

karl sat down on the couch, surprised when nick sat down next to him. his mother sat down in one of the chairs off to the side, adjusting her coat before taking her right leg and crossing it over her left.

"if i knew what this appointment was about, i would've told you to not come," nick muttered, leaning forward enough to rest his elbows on his knees, clasping his hands together in the middle. 

"tell me about it. forcing someone to an appointment they didn't agree to isn't the greatest idea," karl replied as he looked over at nick. 

nick sighed as he leaned back and put an arm around karl's shoulders in an attempt to comfort the teenage boy. 

he saw karl's mom looking over at her son, who she assumed was looking and talking to nothing. that look of disappointment mixing with something unreadable made nick's blood boil.

"it kind of pisses me off that she still treats you like a child," nick hissed, his tone utterly different from what karl was used to.

the tone sounded dangerous.

"i'm almost eighteen, i don't know why she still is," karl said, dismissing the dangerous tone that seeped into sapnap's voice, "it's annoying she thinks that i'm not right in the head, when i'm completely fine."

"you won't have to worry about it much longer," nick replied, his voice a lot lower, venom oozing off his words. 

a knock on the door cut them off as all three of them turned to the door opening and someone else entering the room.

"hello there karl, i'm doctor soot, i'll be your doctor for today."

here we go again.