Chapter 50

Later that day Brymie stood outside Stefan's door for about fifteen minutes, wondering how the hell she was going to break things off with him without hurting him in the process. He was truly a good person and that's what was stopping her from breaking his heart. Jacob told her to wait for him so that the two of them would tell Stefan what was really going on but she chose not to. This was something she needed to do alone without anyone assuming that Jake had put her up to it.

She took a deep breath and rang the doorbell, anxiously waiting for him to open the door. Instead, it was Chloe's annoying face that greeted her.

"You just can't stay away, can you, Hale?"

"Is he home?"

"Which brother are we talking about?"

"Seriously Chloe, I don't have time for this. Is he home or not?" her serious voice did nothing to intimidate the blonde.

"He's not here, and even if he was I wouldn't tell you. I know why you are here Hale. I know what's going on between you and Jake. I've known for a while now," she folded her arms on her chest while leaning on the door. Blocking Brymie from entering the house.

"That is none of your business Chloe, so stay out of it,"

"It becomes my business. What you are about to do is going to cause serious damage to their relationship. I've been around much longer than you so I know both of them better. You are going to drive a wedge between two people who are bound for life and knowing you, I don't think you can live with that,"

"But I need to tell him. I can't keep lying to him, not anymore,"

"Some truths are held back for a reason. I don't agree with a lot of things you do. As a matter of fact, I think you are a manipulative person who thinks the world revolves around her. You pretend to be as innocent as they come but you're no saint. I know how much you care for the two of them which is why you will do exactly as I say,"

Brymie knew what she needed to do even before Chloe said it. She had to let both of them go. 

"For once I agree with you,"

"There's a first time for everything," Chloe said. Brymie was waiting for the smug smirk that Chloe had on whenever the two of them had an encounter but it was nowhere to be seen. Her blue orbs showed no emotions in them.

"Well? What are you still waiting for? Get to it," Chloe shut the door on her face while murmuring something about girls being so clueless all the time. 

Brymie took out her phone and dialed Stefan's number. It went straight to voicemail so instead, she left him a message telling him to meet her at the coffee shop in the town square. She knew breaking things off with him was the best thing. 

*************************

As Stefan went on and how his day had been, Brymie decided to just listen instead of talk. She just sat there prolonging the inevitable, hoping that after what she was about to tell him, he wouldn't hate her. She was memorizing his beautiful charming smile, the way his blue eyes always light up whenever he saw her. She was already missing him and he was still there, seated opposite her with a plate of half-eaten chocolate-coated bagel and a paper cup full of hot latte. She had the same order as him but unlike him, she hardly touched her food.

"Hey, you're awfully quiet. What's going on? And why do I smell fear from you?" His eyes were full of concern. 

Brymie was having a hard time speaking. She was not courageous enough to do this to him but it was something that had to be done.

"I need to tell you something. There's a chance you're going to hate me after this and it's okay. you have all the rights in the world to hate me. I really don't deserve you,"

"Why are you talking like this? I could never hate you, Bry, you know this," he reached out to hold her freezing hands but she pulled them away from him. She saw the look of sudden realization register on his face and it broke her heart.

"Why are you doing this?" he asked. His smile no longer there.

" Because I'm the worst girlfriend ever. Because I haven't been completely honest with you. You have been so good to me Stefan and I never meant to hurt you. I will always love you, until the day I die," she wiped off the tears staining her cheeks."

"This is about Jacob, isn't it?" he waited for her to answer but her prolonged silence was proof enough that he was right. "I thought so. You two deserve each other anyway," he got up from his seat. 

She wanted to run after him but what was the point? He already hated her and whatever she said to him would sound like a lie in his eyes. She truly was the worst person for breaking such an incredible man's heart.