Chapter 17

After the concert, we went to a fast-food restaurant to calm down before we went home.

I told neither Melanin nor Lexie about what happened earlier. It's not because I didn't want to, it's because my instincts tell me not to.

"Dani." Lauren looks at me worryingly.

"It's fine," I mumble and turn my head to look out the window.

Melanin sensed the tension in the air and immediately pulled us into a conversation.

"So...who has the highest grade point average at this table?"

Lexie laughed. "That's the best topic you could think of?" Lexie points at me. "You already know she does."

"I'm not good at making topics, I'm better at jumping into them." Melanin pouts as she sips her drink.

"You are," Lexie said.

Melanin throws her napkin at Lexie. "You aren't any better."

"Wha!" Lexie looked offended-even though we knew she wasn't.

I kept my eyes looking outside and tried not to look out of it. But I couldn't help it.

I suddenly remembered something that I supposedly forgot, and all the memories I lost years ago with Lauren that are important to her. I feel bad that I forgot her from my life and feel worse because she's crying from it.

I mused into deep thought as I kept replaying that blurry image in my head.

"Why did it feel so familiar?" I thought.

I listened to Melanin and Lexie talk to Lauren about our relationship. I didn't want to talk. I was upset at myself for forgetting something important to Lauren.

"Hey Lauren, can I ask you something?" Lexie asked.

"Sure," Lauren said.

"I've been noticing you read books at your seat a lot and the books look old. Did they belong to someone?"

Lauren didn't respond for a few seconds and then she answered with. "Yes, they did, but that person doesn't remember reading those types of books with me."

What? Books?

I turn my head slowly to Lauren. "What?"

She shrugged. "It's nothing, Dani."

I looked down as I felt disappointed in myself. "It's not nothing. I'm sorry," I muttered, enigmatically. 

"Sorry for what?" She uses her straw to slowly stir her ice in her cup. "There's nothing to be sorry for."

"Sorry for being an idiot."

Lexie clears her throat. "Is there something going on that we don't know about?"

I shook my head. "No, we just had a small disagreement during the concert."

"Did I really read those books with Lauren back then before I lost my memories?" I thought.

"Oh, that's it? I hope things will get better between you two. I love your relationship." Melanin said.

"Me too," I replied before musing back into my thoughts.

The rest of the day was like a blur.

I don't remember getting home nor falling asleep, but when I woke up I was in my own bed in my pajamas alone. I looked around my dark bedroom with no recollection of yesterday.

I got up to check my phone.

It was two in the morning.

I checked my messages to see zero from Lauren and two from Lexie and Melanin.

Both of them asked if I was okay or if something was going bad in my relationship. I told them no, and that I was just tired from being too hype during the concert. I hate lying to my friends, but I didn't want to admit that I'm starting to remember some things from my childhood. Things like being with Lauren.

~

"Dani Hills, you better be awake and ready to get onto that bus by the time your breakfast is finished!" I heard my grandma shout from the kitchen.

I groaned and sat up.

It's been two weeks since that day.

I haven't remembered anything since then. I don't know why, but I want to figure out what caused me to forget in the first place.

"I'm awake, grandma!" I shouted back.

I got out of bed to go shower and get dressed in my uniform.

I put on my socks and messily did my hair. I actually decided to straighten my hair again, but since I couldn't see the back of my head. I tried my best to do it.

I put some lip gloss on and a little bit of makeup too.

I never wear makeup like that, but something about today made me want to do it.

I went to the kitchen with my bag in my hand, and my grandma handed me my breakfast. I sat down and ate it quickly, and my grandma handed me my lunch.

"Thanks, grandma," I said with my mouth full.

"Don't speak with food in your mouth, that's rude."

"Yes ma'am," I said while covering my mouth with my hand.

"By the way, for your birthday this year, are you going to celebrate it with Lexie and Melanin?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Will your girlfriend also celebrate it with you?"

"She will." I finish my breakfast and stand up. "Thank you, grandma."

"You know your birthday is next month, please figure out what you will do for it."

"I will. Bye, grandma." I grabbed my lunch and bag, went to the front door to slip on my shoes, and ran out the door to catch the bus. "Crap! They're driving this way!"

I made it to the stop before the bus did, and climbed onto it. I sat in my seat and sighed. "I made it."

A random guy on my bus throws a balled-up paper at me and laughs. "Morning Dani, you still got daddy issues?"

"Shut up," I said and threw the paperback at him.

"I heard you're a faggot now." He caught the paper. "You and that Lauren chick are disgusting. You probably need some good dick to change your mind."

"No thanks," I replied dryly.

"You know what I heard about your little faggot girlfriend? I heard that Shawn fucked her in the bathroom yesterday."

"You better shut the hell up," I said.

"Shawn told me she looked cute crying and begging for mercy."

"I said shut the hell up!" I shouted.

"Hey, you two! Stop shouting and arguing on this bus before I call the school police." The bus driver said.

"Sorry." we both said to the bus driver.

For the rest of the ride, I glared at him with the intent to murder in my eyes.

Ever since we started dating, people spread false rumors to break us up, and Shawn is one of the few that adds fuel to the fire.

Once I reach the school, I'm going after Shawn's neck.

One thing I don't play about is someone lying about Lauren.

And I mean that.