Chapter 20: Mu Siyang's Match

When the match started, it was Siyang's opponent who served. He was strong, but Siyang returned it with ease. The rally was shortlived as his opponent smashed the ball to his left. While he got to it in time, he wasn't able to hit it back and dropped his racket.

"Was this right before you came here?" Zhilan asked.

He nodded. "This is the match that finally pushed me here."

His opponent served again and this time it was Siyang who had the upper hand. He seemed to barely move from his spot, but the ball kept going back to him. She had never seen anything quite like it. The score became 15-15.

"What was that? You forced him to run back and forth."

He smiled as her face lit up in excitement over his play. "I call it the absolute zone."

Zhilan kept her eyes glued to the screen as she watched Siyang move around the tennis court. She watched his opponent too, but she was more interested in him. Siyang looked mesmerizing as he played. She barely even paid attention to the audio of the video.

He's a brilliant player. The way he moves is wonderful.

She absentmindedly bit her lip as she waited for his next move. He hit the ball and the ball rolled back towards the net on the opposing side.

"Zero chip." He answered before she even asked. He took a look at her and noticed she wouldn't turn away from his match. A warmth spread in his chest, but he didn't know why.

As it continued, Zhilan noticed how he protected his arm and how it would sort of falter. Yet, Siyang continued to persevere.

I've never seen someone with that type of strength and determination.

The score was now 6-5 and Siyang's service game. He won a point using his zero chip. He served again. With the use of absolute area and zero chip, he made it to match point.

Just as he was about to serve again, he fell to the ground, holding his arm. She couldn't help the slight gasp that escaped her mouth. A tingle ran up her own left arm. She paused the game and glanced at him in concern.

He turned to her and saw her expression. "You look really worried. I'm fine now."

"I know, but I thought I was supposed to be the reckless one between us. Now, I can't tell whose worse."

Siyang let out a low laugh. "Are you talking about your own injury? I don't think you've told me how you did it."

"I may or may not have played when my knee was already in bad shape. Then, I made it worse by playing a match. I fell right on my knee when I scored the final point of my match." She smiled crookedly.

"I'd say we're pretty even, don't you?"

Zhilan buried her face into his shoulder and laughed. "Tennis is our lives, isn't it?"

He smiled fondly. "It is. Do you want to finish watching or are you tired?"

Her head popped up almost comically. "Let's finish."

He resumed the match and she watched as it went on to the tiebreaker. Despite his best efforts, his arm couldn't hold on and he lost.

"I imagine the ending would have been very different if you weren't injured." She murmured.

Siyang sighed. "It doesn't matter now. I did what I could. I have no regrets."

She breathed out slowly, still completely awestruck at his performance. "I've never seen anyone play like you. It was incredible."

He froze from the sudden praise and wasn't quite sure how to respond.

"I should probably go. It's gotten pretty late." She said before he could speak.

"Of course." His brain was still hung up on her compliment. He had received praise from players before. What was so different now?

Zhilan left the pork belly pillow and grabbed her things. "Good night."

"Good night."

Zhilan's heart was still racing when she crawled into bed

Zhilan's heart was still racing when she crawled into bed. Siyang's match kept replaying in her head. The way he moved. The steely look in his eyes as he played, determined to see a final score when it ended. It sent shivers down her spine.

Breathe. In. Out.

She gnawed at her lip as a tiny voice in the back of her head spoke.

He looked gorgeous as he played.

She immediately sat up in bed. "No, no. No, no. Don't go there. Anywhere, but there."

She laid back down, but the voice in her head wouldn't relent.

In general, he is really attractive.

She groaned into her pillow and tried to fall asleep.

Author's Note

I had to rewatch the episode with Siyang's match because I had totally forgotten most of it. Anyways, I actually had some fun writing this one. Especially the title because I feel like there's a double meaning behind it ;). Still debating on when I'll write Siyang leaving. In the mean time, I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Thanks to everyone who reads and supports! Y'all are great!
- Violet