Chapter 3: A Call From Family

Zhilan walked around her room as much as she could on her own. She had some historical documentary playing on the tv as she exercised her knee. She still felt a slight twinge of pain when she moved, but ignored it.

Work through the pain. Just don't overdo it. I will play tennis when this is over.

Zhilan took a small break and watched the tv. It was a documentary on the first World War. She watched in fascination then continued her exercise. Her phone rang and she grabbed it off the bed side table. Zhilan blinked as she saw the name on the screen: Uncle Xiangqian. It was a video call. She pressed answer and was a bit startled by her uncle yelling.

"Lu Xia! Come out here! I'm calling your cousin!"

Zhilan couldn't help but laugh at her uncle's antics. He looked back at the camera and his face broke out in a hearty smile.

"Zhilan! My precious niece! How are you?"

She grinned at him. "I'm doing well, uncle. How about you?"

"Never better. Lu Xia! Get out of your room, you brat! Say hello to your cousin!"

Oh, good. Some things don't change.

"Anyways! Has Germany been treating you well? Have you been eating properly? You look a bit thin."

You literally can only see my face. How can you even tell that?

"Everything's fine. I've been eating three meals a day and I'm pretty sure I still weigh the same."

Her uncle shrugged. "I stand by what I said. What about your knee? Is it doing okay? It doesn't hurt too much?"

She shook her head. She saw her uncle turn his phone away and it was pointed to Lu Xia.

"Hello." He said deadpanned.

Zhilan rolled her eyes at her cousin's response.

"Hello, baby cousin. Have you missed me?"

Lu Xia stared blankly at her. "No."

"Brat."

A smile slowly etched itself on to his face and he snickered.

"How much longer until you can play tennis again?"

She exhaled. "It'll still be a couple more months. I'm healing as quick as I can. When I'm better and I see you again, we'll play a match."

He nodded. "I'll wait for you on the court then."

Lu Xia walked away and Zhilan smiled softly.

I look forward to it, brat.

Her uncle came back into view.
"Remember something, niece. When you get better, I'll be more than happy to bring you back to China. Only if you want to, of course. You can go back with your aunt if that's what you choose."

"Thank you, uncle. I'll let you know when the time comes."

He smiled. "All right. I'm gonna let you go now. It's time for bed over here. Good night."

"Good night, uncle."

Zhilan hung up and felt her spirits lifted. 

Everything will be fine.

Author's Note

Felt like a double update today. I wanted to add a somewhat sweet moment with the Lu Family before I introduce Siyang to the story. If you're still with me, it means a lot! Remember to vote or comment!
- Violet