9.5: The Frontiers of Healing

It takes a few moments for everything to fall into place, your eyes starting to adjust back to the relative darkness of the room. You were ordered to be placed in a tight secluded room, where there were no windows, no bed, and had limited amount of space to move. Yet you did not have the energy to do so; you were in a sitting position with your backside against the wall, one leg bent towards you, and the other leg was dangling above the ground.

If you had not intervened in the discussion between the chairman and the other headmasters of all worldly Gardens, then Riri would supposedly have to be in your position. After all, Riri is the leader of Team Hitotsuyanagi and Yuri was placed under her custody. However, you deemed her punishment to be unfair because she didn't put Yuri in danger–you were the one that couldn't contain her nor the Huge in time.

Takamatsu wanted to protest against you, yet the other headmasters acknowledged your request; thus, the elder man reluctantly agreed and sent you to a room to savor your solitude. The cramped room made you think of a resemblance to prison except that the local jail would have more people in a dirty facility instead of the pristine room you were currently in.

"Why...Why did you sacrifice yourself, Yuri? I should've been there for you... I should've been the one to die for you."

You mutter to yourself, taking your anger out by digging your nails into the flesh of your right palm. You pushed the tips deeper into your skin, and with enough force you were able to cut through the first layer of skin. Bits of your red sea begin to drip to the ground. With the following red tear, the door slid open to reveal two people: [F/N] and Yuyu.

"Hey, buddy. How are you holding up–? Is that blood?!"

Their eyes travel to the ground, lining their sight in the direction it came from. [F/N] lets out a sigh and tells Yuyu to stay with you before running out of the room to retrieve some paper towels. The second-year Lily quietly took a seat next to you, her light purple eyes never leaving you. Yuyu gently took your hand into her own when she noticed that you were about to make more sharp marks. Both of her hands enveloped your own, bringing warmth to your cold skin despite your blood rushing to the minor wound.

"[Y/N]."

In the beginning, everything sounded muffled–even your voice sounded peculiar at some point. Yet, to hear Yuyu's tone shift from a frigid calm to a benign but firm manner, her voice alone reeled you back into reality. You decide to meet her at eye level and turn your head to lock gazes. Her voice had made her small smile synonymous with equanimity.