Chapter 5

"Hi! My name is Ingrid Yelen Tan Samonte. My Daddy's name is Irineo and my Mommy's name is Isabel. My Daddy is the best lawyer in the whole world and my Mommy is the best Mommy in the universe. Dad owns a law firm and Mommy bakes really yummy pastries. My Mom does not only love to cook but she's also very artistic. In fact, she's the one who crocheted this ribbon I'm wearing on my hair. I have an older sister and she's a student here, too. She's very smart and she says she loves me more than she loves her pet goldfish Cookie. I want to be a beauty queen when I grow up," she recited.

"Does anyone have a question for Ingrid?" our teacher, Miss Caliente, asked.

A boy raised his hand.

"Yes, Angelo?"

"Ingrid, you're very pretty."

The whole class, except me, ohhed.

"Thank you," Ingrid replied seemingly unfazed by the compliment.

"I like you," the boy added.

"I'm likable," Ingrid flippantly answered.

The whole class erupted in laughter.

Miss Caliente tapped the board to call everyone's attention. "Quiet, class..."

The laughter died down.

"Thank you, Ingrid," she said.

"You're welcome," Ingrid replied with a curtsy before she made her way back to her seat.

Nakangiti at nakatingin sa akin ang teacher namin at iniwas ko ang tingin ko sa kanya.

"It's your turn, Aleph," she said.

I pushed to my feet on trembling knees then walked towards the front of the class.

"Good morning," I said.

"What do we say, class?" Miss Caliente asked.

"Good morning to you, too!" the whole class chorused.

"My name..." I stopped talking swallowing hard.

"Go on..." Miss Caliente encouragingly smile.

"My name is Aleph Gabriel Santiago. I am seven years old."

They all looked at me as if they were expecting me to say more.

"I'm fine, thank you..." I murmured.

Everyone laughed.

Ilang linggo naming inensayo ni Teacher Annie 'yung sasabihin ko sa unang araw ng klase pero nang dahil sa nerbiyos ay nakalimutan ko lahat.

My name is Aleph Gabriel Santiago, I am seven years old and I love to draw. I love playing basketball, too, and my dream is to become an engineer and a professional basketball player. My favorite color is blue because I love looking at the sky. I love flying kites, too, and I am rather good at making them. I hope we can be good friends. Thank you.

"My name is Aleph Grabriel Santiago..." I started to say again.

"You already said that," a classmate commented.

"Yes, you already did!"

"Class..." Miss Caliente said. "Aleph is not yet done talking and it is rude to interrupt when someone is still talking."

She turned to me, a smile on her face. "Continue, Aleph..."

"'Yun lang po..." I quietly said.

I saw some of my classmates frown.

"What does your Daddy do?" Angelo asked. "You have a Dad, right?"

"Where's your Mommy?" another classmate queried.