Knowing that he would be watching was the only thing that would get me by until Chris finally came back home. Whenever he would be back home.

If he was done with his initial task, why did he have to wait so long to come back home? Didn't his boss care even the slightest bit? He knew that Chris needed to be here for me. For us.

Pulling into Honeys, I felt a certain sense of dread hit me upon seeing the jam-packed parking lot. Tonight was going to be a long and incredibly busy night, and there was no doubt about it.

Good tips, shitty people.

I've got this.

I strode into Honeys with dignity, holding my back tall to assume some false assertiveness. It was hard to convince myself that I liked how I look. Confidence at a place like this was something you had to walk in the door with. It was second nature, something I never had to put my mind to.

And now...

A girl I hadn't seen before stood behind the bar, entertaining a small group of gentlemen enjoying their tequila shots over the dry and vulgar conversation. She was nearly angelic, layered with luminescent body glitter and makeup that shined beneath the lights.

A hint of jealousy hit me when I realized that she was everything that I used to be, like sweet Nora at the studio, this girl was in a way an image of myself.

"Give me a quick sec, boys!" She giggled, meeting eyes with me as I approached the bartop.

I was supposed to work the bar. These were my customers.

"Who are you?" I eyed her, looking at her neon pink outfit with flashy sparkles and attention-grabbing flare.

"Genesis." She nodded softly, flashing a quick smile as she scanned over my face.

Judging me.

"Are you approved to work the bar? You know you have to—"

"Yes, actually." She spoke in a sickly sweet tone, almost demeaning. "I used to full-time bartend at Spreaders. The environment is better here and I'm well qualified."

"Well, I've never seen you."

With a quick eye roll, she whipped her hair over her shoulder and chuckled. "Girl, I've never seen you before either. What? Do you want an application or something?"

"I've been here for years, Genesis. Who here told you that you had any say in—"

"Hmm," with a condescending pause, she looked me over. "You must be Peaches, am I right?"

"Yes."

"Great. Well, I was hired to help when you've been falling behind. And really, Peaches, it looks like we have no need for you tonight. Full staff."

"What?" I snapped, feeling hostility rise gradually with every second passing. "I am scheduled to be here tonight, working the bar, you dumb bitch. You can't tell me—"

"I can, and your attitude is a real turn-off. Take the day off so you can get it under control."

"You're fucking joking me." Through gritted teeth I glared menacingly, feeling my heart drop down into my gut.

"I can get Marco to escort you out. Do I need to do that?"

She was serious about this? I had just been...replaced that easily? Given the power to have me removed from the club with no real warning?