Ten

M A T U R E A U D I E N C E S O N L Y!
18+
*Trigger warning*

"Did they say why they were looking for me?" My tone held strong through the worry that plagued my senses. Escaping this fear was near impossible even through the haze of my drunken state of mind.

What if I had been there tonight? What would be my fate?

Candy tugged at her tights, forcing them down her legs. "No, Briel, they didn't say a thing to me." Her responses were snappy and rushed, with good reason.

"Are you sure you saw Daddy?"

She nodded solemnly peering up at me through her fluttery lashes. The dark circles around her eyes were wet with tears. "Parked right outside. He was in his limousine, I'm sure of it. He was there."

With a heavy sigh to relieve the ache in my chest, I scanned over my room, searching for the courage I needed to face this situation. "You don't think he just wanted to check in?"

"Check in?" She scoffed. "Tell me when the last time he decided to actually "check in on you" was? He always says he will, but he sends one of them instead."

"It's been a while, Candy, but it's not totally bizarre."

"So why now?" She demanded, her chest heaving as she spoke. "What did you do? What did I do? Have we done something wrong?"

"I don't know, Candy but-"

"We have always been good." She tore off her top and threw it to the floor with a trembling hand. "Do you really think that we're ever going to be safe if they-"

"Relax," I stood up to her, holding her arms carefully. "Candy, we are going to be fine. Don't let them take away your strength. You and I both know that Daddy favors us. He's told us."

"But he just lets his men-" her pained face crumpled into a sorrowful cry.

"I know." Was all I could manage. Though I know it wouldn't heal the pain she felt-I embraced her, holding tight so she didn't feel alone. The terror they had instilled into her heart would resonate forever. They had taken a part of her away. Whether she'd admit or not. They had broken her.

"Something is different about you." Candy said softly, staring up at the ceiling fan as it swayed through the air. Our pinky fingers crossed together while we laid in the warmth of each other's company.

"Is it a good kind of different?" I questioned, running through all potential ways I could have changed in her eyes. Deep down I knew what she was talking about. The staring off into space, daydreaming in a little fantasy world.

Why can't you just focus?

"You seem a little happier." Her head turned on the pillow, blinking slowly at me as she spoke. "You normally look all grumpy and pissed off, but lately you've been smiling more."

I shrugged, biting back a smile. "I don't know, I guess-"

Her jaw dropped open as she gasped out. "Peach!"

"What?" My cheeks began to flush with embarrassment.

"You slept with him didn't you?" Her eyes scanned me rapidly as she nudged my arm. "Don't even lie."

I covered my face with my hands and giggled, confirming with a nod.

"Well god damn girl! That boy is fine, that's for sure."

"You're telling me." I turned over onto my side, grinning broadly at her.

"Be careful though." She grabbed hold of my hand, squeezing carefully. "Daddy could be watching. With all the shit going on at Honeys, Briel, just be careful."